2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
If I had to guess, Clarke and Lombardi are desperate for Fletcher to stay while Holmgren probably wants him gone. Homer's face probably blistered watching Fletcher not get JG.
If I had to guess, anyone with half a brain wants Fletcher and Company fired and everyone with less than half a brain (Clarke, Lombardi, etc) want him to stay.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When people complain they stress fundamentals too much:

Jason Kelce said Nick Sirianni has shown the Eagles a particular Kobe Bryant video “a thousand times” over the last couple seasons. It’s about fundamentals.

The video is of motivational speaker Alan Stein Jr. explaining a moment where he woke up early to watch Bryant’s workout and was floored to see how much time Bryant spent on seemingly elementary drills and exercises.

When Stein finally asked Bryant why he spends so much time on such simple drills, Bryant responded, “Why do you think I’m the best player in the world? Because I never get bored with the basics.”

Kobe was a dinosaur.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
When people complain they stress fundamentals too much:
Kobe was a dinosaur.

xT9KVqOt8xuRYhNpq8.gif

Seriously, who are you aiming at here?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I dislike him cause he is not a top 5 pick . I have been told on here that really good players only come from top picks , you know guys like Patrick .

Yes this is sarcasm . Bite me
Is that what you have been told? That really good players only come from top picks?

I have a sneaking suspicious you aren't being all that honest about what people are saying to you.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
When people were doubting whether he'd get along with Torts, I said Torts would love him.

But TK is an adventure, a bit like TDA, but less erratic.

He makes some head scratching plays, but he plays hard, has a high motor, is fiesty, has gotten much better on defense than his early years - he's gonna drive you crazy, then make you fall in love all over again.

I think Torts is trying to coach TDA up to be a defensive version of TK, you're gonna make mistakes playing aggressive, just make fewer mistakes than you make good plays. Take chances, but use some judgment and don't be sloppy with the puck.

I also think Torts is very consistent, he only demands a few things:
1) be responsible off the puck, you're gonna make mistakes, but skate as hard on the back check as you did when you sniffed a point
2) play hard all shift, if you're too tired to skate hard, head to the bench, if you can't play hard consistently, get in better condition
3) attack, attack, attack, Torts must be a Patton fan, always forward, north-south, don't get cute
4) wake up, use common sense, like when he got on Allison for sloppy horizontal passes, make mistakes of aggression, not careless mistakes where you're just being sloppy or lazy or asleep at the wheel

This is why I think a lot of young players thrive under him, he doesn't have them overthink the game, he wants them to use those young legs to make things happen. The players who get in his dog house tend to be ones with low motors, bad conditioning, lazy on defense or ignore repeated criticism from coaches.
Still trying ro defend the tda trade I see, at least you're sticking to your guns

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, look at what Lavi was able to do with Gustaffson, who is a cut rate version of TDA.
playing 19:39 a night, 1.33 pp/60, CF 54.20%,CFrel +5.40%, xGF 54.05%, xGFrel +4.86.
He looked good under Q, regressed under Colliton, remained a mess in Philly and last year back in Chicago.

Certain players can make big jumps when they play on teams with structure and discipline.

One key to pro scouting is recognizing which players would benefit from your HC's scheme and coaching.
But that also requires you have some stability and continuity, which we've lacked the last four years.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What? Someone is actually defending Chuckles throwing away picks and cap room for that lowlife, racist piece of garbage?
To be fair, he's kept his nose clean for a couple years. Sometimes people grow up.
Has he been accused of sexual assault, beating his girlfriend, etc.?
There are worse people playing in the NHL right now.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
To be fair, he's kept his nose clean for a couple years. Sometimes people grow up.
Has he been accused of sexual assault, beating his girlfriend, etc.?
There are worse people playing in the NHL right now.

Ignoring all that, Fletcher still overpaid for him. He buys high and sells low. You defend that practice for some reason.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Therien said on Snow the Goalie that when he was on the broadcast that Hextall had a meeting with them to tell them to dial back the praise on guys like Gostisbehere & Provorov. Therien said it was probably more so directed at Jackson & Jones than him because he said you’d think you were watching Bobby Orr out there the way they would some times describe these guys. :laugh:

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Therien said on Snow the Goalie that when he was on the broadcast that Hextall had a meeting with them to tell them to dial back the praise on guys like Gostisbehere & Provorov. Therien said it was probably more so directed Jackson & Jones than them because he said you’d think you were watching Bobby Orr out there the way they would some times describe these guys. :laugh:
Weird that they only listened when it came to Ghost. To the point that they blamed him for shit he had nothing to do with.

They've polished the other turd no matter what.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Therien asked ASF on the recent podcast if they would trade Ristolainen at the deadline/soon. ASF said probably not because he thinks it would require salary retention to move Ristolainen out right now. He said Hayes is the only multi-year contract they would be willingly to retain on right now.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Therien said on Snow the Goalie that when he was on the broadcast that Hextall had a meeting with them to tell them to dial back the praise on guys like Gostisbehere & Provorov. Therien said it was probably more so directed at Jackson & Jones than him because he said you’d think you were watching Bobby Orr out there the way they would some times describe these guys. :laugh:

The team giving directions on who to praise and how is the least surprising revelation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad