2022/23 Roster Thread XVI: Suite 16, Room for Improvement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Frosthaven. It's the sequel to Gloomhaven.

18aadf16558b6da65a0e556a72548091_original.jpg.webp

The left side is Gloomhaven. The right side (white stuff) is the proofs for Frosthaven.
40f00b9ed42dd0682a98843d2762d699.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as your last sentence, I might agree with that if the grading scale ended at zero. Sadly, as we've seen from situations like JVR, they don't. Avoiding paying for dumps is a strong positive on multiple axes
Luostarinen is a solid low cost forward with upside, for two years of Trocheck. I'd call that a draw.

Lost Forsling on waivers, now top 3 D-man on the Panthers, that's a big negative mark, it's not like he emerged 4 years later like Hartman, he immediately moved in as the 4th D-man after he was picked up.

Managing the cap well is important, and probably the worst thing Fletcher has done.
But Fletcher also reflects the Flyer FO, which is still mired in the pre-cap mentality of throwing money at problems.

To me, the advantage of a HC like Brind'Amour or Torts is they're not "star" oriented, they want players who'll fit their style of play, but can coach up lesser talents - and that can be a big advantage in the cap era.

If I were running the Flyers, I'd can Fletcher, block the phones of the advisors, promote Briere, and have him work with Torts to identify the types of players he wants, then have my pro scouts go through every roster to identify players blocked or in the dog house who fit that mold and wait for opportunities to add them at low cost. Dump JVR at the TDL, Hayes this summer, and Provorov for the right deal. Have Shaw work with Risto to build his value (and buy time to find a couple RHDs) and move him in a year or two.

What I would not do is give out big FA contracts or trade real assets for "names."
Those moves rarely work and often backfire (see Chicago and Seth Jones).
Speaking of Jones, if I could get him cheap, given his history with Torts, I'd think about it.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Luostarinen is a solid low cost forward with upside, for two years of Trocheck. I'd call that a draw.

Lost Forsling on waivers, now top 3 D-man on the Panthers, that's a big negative mark, it's not like he emerged 4 years later like Hartman, he immediately moved in as the 4th D-man after he was picked up.

Managing the cap well is important, and probably the worst thing Fletcher has done.
But Fletcher also reflects the Flyer FO, which is still mired in the pre-cap mentality of throwing money at problems.

To me, the advantage of a HC like Brind'Amour or Torts is they're not "star" oriented, they want players who'll fit their style of play, but can coach up lesser talents - and that can be a big advantage in the cap era.

If I were running the Flyers, I'd can Fletcher, block the phones of the advisors, promote Briere, and have him work with Torts to identify the types of players he wants, then have my pro scouts go through every roster to identify players blocked or in the dog house who fit that mold and wait for opportunities to add them at low cost. Dump JVR at the TDL, Hayes this summer, and Provorov for the right deal. Have Shaw work with Risto to build his value (and buy time to find a couple RHDs) and move him in a year or two.

What I would not do is give out big FA contracts or trade real assets for "names."
Those moves rarely work and often backfire (see Chicago and Seth Jones).
Speaking of Jones, if I could get him cheap, given his history with Torts, I'd think about it.
Has Shaw worked with anyone n the past to help increase their value? If so who? Legit asking.

Cant you just say Fletcher is not a good GM?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
If by illegally you mean I find some random stream on the internet how could they possibly know that to count it towards ratings?

Correct, but only if you are a Nielson home. Nielson uses audio wave detection to figure out what you are watching, so the source is irrelevant.

Theres a tiny amount of people participating in Nielson ratings though

Reactions: Curufinwe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I still have this thing from when I was a kid. Not my pic, but you literally laid on the floor and fired discs from ships at your opponents'. The only good Battleship-style game.

Cfk0LTLWTX6X1YLEqnXMfTkdCb-f-V2DCGGZYPxF0uM.jpg

False. There is another.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
False. There is another.

Ok fine, I was lying. This thing rules too. You're literally teams of 3-4 people running a sub vs sub wargame against each other behind screens. Both teams have a Captain, First Mate, Navigator, and Engineer.

captain_sonar.0.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ok fine, I was lying. This thing rules too. You're literally teams of 3-4 people running a sub vs sub wargame against each other behind screens. Both teams have a Captain, First Mate, Navigator, and Engineer.

captain_sonar.0.jpg

Battleship just needed submarines all along.

There is no such thing as a bad submarine game, movie, or TV show. It doesn't exist.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad