2022/23 Roster Thread XV: Where Optional Skates are Mandatory

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
What do you see TK getting to re-sign in term and money?
Depends on his production in the next 3 years and the cap and stuff...but unless he really becomes an elite winger i dont see him getting more than provorov. As long as provy is here...hes going to be used as 1D and will want to be paid as such.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Depends on his production in the next 3 years and the cap and stuff...but unless he really becomes an elite winger i dont see him getting more than provorov. As long as provy is here...hes going to be used as 1D and will want to be paid as such.
He will want and get 8 years. The money will vary. If he produces at a solid 55+ clip on a bad team next couple years easy 7.5 plus.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Contact on that hit was blown out of proportion. Wasn't as bad as many seemed to make it. That being said this medical staff gets no benefit of the doubt.
Did you actually watch Hart after that hit? He looked dazed/woozy and left the game immediately. If you are arguing that the "Contact" alone was blown out of proportion, I've gotten a concussion from a tennis ball.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
So I may be on the outside here with this take, I love tk and would love for him to stay here, however I think he's more valuable as a trade piece at the tdl, he will bring in more than a player like Hagel, we could really get some solid draft capital (yes a crap shoot) but this team won't be winning with him, by time we are even competitive he's going to be on the wrong side of 30, and with his contract ending at 28, he's gonna want his last money contract for 8 years, and with our salary cap troubles it just doesn't make any sense for us, and that's nothing against tk, but I just don't think the timeline will work well unless he takes a discount which he won't and shouldn't, I also agree provy needs to be moved at this tdl, he can bring us a good package back, maybe a young center prospect and a 1st, with sanhiems extension I think the writing is on the wall for provys departure. Rock with sanhiem and York as the two top 4 lhd

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
So I may be on the outside here with this take, I love tk and would love for him to stay here, however I think he's more valuable as a trade piece at the tdl, he will bring in more than a player like Hagel, we could really get some solid draft capital (yes a crap shoot) but this team won't be winning with him, by time we are even competitive he's going to be on the wrong side of 30, and with his contract ending at 28, he's gonna want his last money contract for 8 years, and with our salary cap troubles it just doesn't make any sense for us, and that's nothing against tk, but I just don't think the timeline will work well unless he takes a discount which he won't and shouldn't, I also agree provy needs to be moved at this tdl, he can bring us a good package back, maybe a young center prospect and a 1st, with sanhiems extension I think the writing is on the wall for provys departure. Rock with sanhiem and York as the two top 4 lhd

You’re very much on the inside with this take.

Although I have no doubt they will try to re sign Konecny into his 30s on some stupid deal.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Should Konecny be re-signed? I have no clue. But I do know they shouldn't trade their 25 year old best player at the deadline with 2 more years on his contract. It just doesn't make any sense -- that's a summer move, and probably not even this summer. Rushing into that decision could prove as equally foolish as re-signing him.

The Flyers might have plenty of cap space by then; they could be trending in the right direction in 3 years where it makes sense. He'd only be 28, not 31, and there's absolutely room to get value on the first 4-5 years of that contract. Teams emerging from rebuilds aren't immune to needing late 20s top 6/4 veterans. Like there's nothing wrong with Couturier's contract in theory, health provided, for an actual up-and-comer playoff team, or Sanheim's contract. But if the Flyers are still one of the worst teams heading into his walk year, if they don't draft a phenom or two heralding a turnaround, and if it looks pointless long-term, then we'll see. But trading Konecny at this point is likely hasty, imaginative offer pending.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You have to see what happens this summer before deciding anything like that.

How did the draft lottery go?

What kind of prospect did we get?

Were there changes to the management?

What did we get for the guys who should be moved first?

What’s our best guess for when we can compete (based on all the above) and how does that line up with TKs age?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Getting mega value on ELCs+2nd contracts is how teams win. If you gut your team totally of high end players in their late 20s, that's also an easy way to waste the value of those ELCs+2nd contracts, as you struggle to build a roster around them. It's a delicate balancing act managing all these timelines, but no one said building a Cup team is easy. But this scenario is also a best case.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think it needs to take five years to turn this team around.

Depends on Couts' health, but if he is close to 100%, Couts, TK, Farabee, Gauthier, with Frost, Tippett, Cates, Foerster, and depth like Allison, Laczynski, Lycksell, Desnoyers isn't a bad group. Better if Atkinson returns near 100% for a year or two (buying time for draft picks).

Key is going to be revamping the defense, but Sanheim, York aren't a bad start. If Attard can nail down one RHD spot . . .

With their strength at goalie (especially if Fedotov escapes the Gulag), you just need a couple more players, hopefully we draft one of them this summer. Maybe get another when we trade Provorov, and gain an asset by retaining on Hayes, and a good pick for JVR.

Reactions: renberg

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Should Konecny be re-signed? I have no clue. But I do know they shouldn't trade their 25 year old best player at the deadline with 2 more years on his contract. It just doesn't make any sense -- that's a summer move, and probably not even this summer. Rushing into that decision could prove as equally foolish as re-signing him.

The Flyers might have plenty of cap space by then; they could be trending in the right direction in 3 years where it makes sense. He'd only be 28, not 31, and there's absolutely room to get value on the first 4-5 years of that contract. Teams emerging from rebuilds aren't immune to needing late 20s top 6/4 veterans. Like there's nothing wrong with Couturier's contract in theory, health provided, for an actual up-and-comer playoff team, or Sanheim's contract. But if the Flyers are still one of the worst teams heading into his walk year, if they don't draft a phenom or two heralding a turnaround, and if it looks pointless long-term, then we'll see. But trading Konecny at this point is likely hasty, imaginative offer pending.

I personally have strong doubts the player is who we see this year moving forward. Just as I do with someone like Hart. Perhaps that a bit of emotion, but I’ve seen too much to not think of nearly all of them as tarnished.

I want nothing to do with an extension that imo will have the Flyers doing what they often do -paying him for his perceived value to the team, instead of what his true value is when compared to his peers who he will have to outplay frequently to make the contract worth it. I think TK is a quality player, but the level of play to be maintained, with a body/style of play that add more risk.

The bigger issue for me, is I want full blown commitment to a bottom out for the next 2-3 seasons. As much as I like Konecny, he’s shown he’s going to hurt their odds the potential of a franchise player.

This thing is a long ass way out imo, something I think the team will ignore in whatever quick “rebuild” they try to pitch.

The Hawks had a chance at re-signing a younger Debrincat, but chose to move on. I want a true fall to the depths. The team we know as the Flyers would ignite in hell fire if they had the gall to even consider such a plan.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I personally have strong doubts the player is who we see this year moving forward. Just as I do with someone like Hart. Perhaps that a bit of emotion, but I’ve seen too much to not think of nearly all of them as tarnished.

I want nothing to do with an extension that imo will have the Flyers doing what they often do -paying him for his perceived value to the team, instead of what his true value is when compared to his peers who he will have to outplay frequently to make the contract worth it. I think TK is a quality player, but the level of play to be maintained, with a body/style of play that add more risk.

The bigger issue for me, is I want full blown commitment to a bottom out for the next 2-3 seasons. As much as I like Konecny, he’s shown he’s going to hurt their odds the potential of a franchise player.

This thing is a long ass way out imo, something I think the team will ignore in whatever quick “rebuild” they try to pitch.

The Hawks had a chance at re-signing a younger Debrincat, but chose to move on. I want a true fall to the depths. The team we know as the Flyers would ignite in hell fire if they had the gall to even consider such a plan.

Funnily enough, Konecny's 5v5 scoring is lower than last season. But it's pretty much right in line with every season of his career. If anything, he's been unlucky. At all strengths, he has 2 secondary assists compared to 30 primary points. There's really no one to credit his success this season other than himself. Getting consistent PK time, along with first dib minutes elsewhere, has helped too.

Konecny is a solid top 6 player. He is certainly not hurting their tanking chances; this team sucks ass. Ask Gaudreau how much Columbus is soaring with him. Colorado was historically bad with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Duchene! The Flyers could be one of the 3 worst teams in the league every season and not touch a top 2 or 3 pick. That's the lottery.

I'm not saying Konecny is remotely untouchable; I'm just saying a deadline deal is just not in the cards, and I'd be careful about a summer '23 one as well. I don't believe his value would change much in '24, but there'd be more information to work with. I also imagine DeBrincat had higher value than Konecny; I imagine his contract ask started at $9MM given his QO; and I imagine him needing that contract THIS summer had a lot to do with it. I think Chicago is in a worse situation period with their talent. Like it or not, Couturier will eventually be back, maybe alive. I don't want shortcuts either, but not all rebuilds are identical.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd rather have TK than DeBrincat, TK has worked hard to improve his defense, he'll always be mistake prone, but he's developing on the PK, and could really take off with a top 6 center. He's not as skillful as DeBrincat (but faster in a straight line), but he's got a stout little body and a lot of 'tude, and a high motor. TK may be undervalued b/c he won't put up the inflated numbers of some one dimensional scorers the next year or two, until he gets the right center, but I think he'll continue to improve.

Reactions: renberg

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

They haven't trended in the right direction for over a decade. Don't disagree with what you are saying for the most part. I would trade him at the deadline if there was a sweet deal to be had; too much can go wrong if you wait. They need to ensure they get the best odds for the highest pick possible. Plus I do not think you will win with this group despite them being talented individually.

The question becomes does a team see TK as the missing piece or one to get them over the hump? Also clearly the coach likes TK. How much say will he have on whether or not they entertain moving him?

Couturiers contract will be an anchor. Even if he is healthy. Next season will be one of him getting his game back (no pun intended) after missing a year +. What expectations should they have for him next season? To expect selke level play is asking for a lot.

I don't think it needs to take five years to turn this team around.

Depends on Couts' health, but if he is close to 100%, Couts, TK, Farabee, Gauthier, with Frost, Tippett, Cates, Foerster, and depth like Allison, Laczynski, Lycksell, Desnoyers isn't a bad group. Better if Atkinson returns near 100% for a year or two (buying time for draft picks).

Key is going to be revamping the defense, but Sanheim, York aren't a bad start. If Attard can nail down one RHD spot . . .

With their strength at goalie (especially if Fedotov escapes the Gulag), you just need a couple more players, hopefully we draft one of them this summer. Maybe get another when we trade Provorov, and gain an asset by retaining on Hayes, and a good pick for JVR.
Now compare that to the division, then the conference. Numerous Dime a dozen players others have in spades.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I'd rather have TK than DeBrincat, TK has worked hard to improve his defense, he'll always be mistake prone, but he's developing on the PK, and could really take off with a top 6 center. He's not as skillful as DeBrincat (but faster in a straight line), but he's got a stout little body and a lot of 'tude, and a high motor. TK may be undervalued b/c he won't put up the inflated numbers of some one dimensional scorers the next year or two, until he gets the right center, but I think he'll continue to improve.

0017EE65-4DAF-4071-9BFE-AC0C4B01259A.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad