2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The joy it brings me to see, after all the talk about compete, grit, playing the right way, defense, etc, the flyers as one of the closest teams to "go down easy"

The Flyers’ largest analytics department in the NHL showed that to the front office and they all high-fived when they saw how well they’re doing in “Endless Pain.”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hayes is becoming JVR. PPG is pretty good, and 17 ES points in 25 games is a 50 point pace, which is 1st line production.
Like JVR, he needs to be sheltered on defense.
But I could see a playoff contender being interested in him, might have to eat a smaller contract coming back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR isn't detrimental to the players around him.
That's because they shelter him.
2021-22: 8th in ES TOI
2020-21: 4th in ES TOI
2019-20: 7th in ES TOI
He hasn't played 14+ minute at 5x5 since 2016-17.

Which is what they should do with Hayes, put him on the wing, keep him away from bad matchups, and limit his defensive responsibilities.

Which is what a lot of teams do with veteran scorers.

IT'S LITTLE RICHARD'S BIRTHDAY. No one listened to me. Go to your rooms. No dinner.
Who cares? He's not part of the holy quartet, Ellis McDaniel, Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon and Buddy Holly.

(Yes, I left out Elvis, he didn't write the songs that launched a thousand garage bands).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's because they shelter him.
2021-22: 8th in ES TOI
2020-21: 4th in ES TOI
2019-20: 7th in ES TOI
He hasn't played 14+ minute at 5x5 since 2016-17.

Which is what they should do with Hayes, put him on the wing, keep him away from bad matchups, and limit his defensive responsibilities.

Which is what a lot of teams do with veteran scorers.

Who cares? He's not part of the holy quartet, Ellis McDaniel, Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon and Buddy Holly.

(Yes, I left out Elvis, he didn't write the songs that launched a thousand garage bands).

Reducing Hayes minutes isn't going to change the fact that he destroys opportunities for teammates.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
2019 FLETCHER: I'm going to sign Hayes for $50 million specifically to play center because dammit we need a center, and I have no choice but to get us the most expensive center [Couturier and Giroux on roster].

2022 TORTORELLA: We have no proven NHL centers, but Hayes can't play center. I'm going to play a bottom 6 LW rookie at center over him. He can't anticipate play. Bad habits. We tried; he can't change.

2022 FLETCHER:

D2InlT1UwAACW5b.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, to be fair, those injuries took a tool on Hayes' skating, but it also shows the "Couts" effect - because Couts took all the tough matchups the 2C didn't wasn't as exposed defensively, whether it was Patrick, Filppula or Hayes.

Without Couts, every center on this team has been exposed.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Hey, Sabres fan here. Just curious - how has Risto been looking lately? I always loved him and felt like he needed a Torts-like coach. Now that he has one, I’m curious if it’s helping at all.

He’s always been extremely athletic with a ton of potential…just never put it together consistently in Buffalo. Is he improving this season under torts?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Hey, Sabres fan here. Just curious - how has Risto been looking lately? I always loved him and felt like he needed a Torts-like coach. Now that he has one, I’m curious if it’s helping at all.

He’s always been extremely athletic with a ton of potential…just never put it together consistently in Buffalo. Is he improving this season under torts?
want him back ?

plzz....

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

He is what he was when he left Buffalo: arguably the worst defenseman in the NHL. Just more expensive now.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Imagine going to the dump every other night to pump some garbage-water out of the ground and dump it in your eyes.

That's what it's like watching Ristolainen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad