Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If we are going to suck for the next year or 2 (we are) then they need to take a seriously long game strat with the prospects.

For ever Zegras that has had success at 20 in the NHL, we have Steel or Fowler and a lot of questions about what could have been.

The biggest concern I have with our prospects is on the defensive side.

Forward youths
Line 1: xxx - Zegras - xxx​
Line 2: xxx - McTavish - Terry​
Line 3: xxx - Lundy - xxx​

Defense
xxx - xxx​
xxx - Drysdale​
Benoit - xxx​

Currently, the only prospect pushed up has been McTavish. McTavish hit a rookie wall with being dynamic, but he's still providing service on the ice as a top-6. He's kinda where Drysdale was last season - being present, but not dynamic. Drysdale finished with 32 points and -26 rating last year. McTavish hit 32 points at game 56 and it currently a -17. I'm very encouraged with McTavish's season and emerging as as top-6 center as a 19-year old.

Stewing in the AHL:
F Regenda (Age 23; 1st year in AHL)​
RD Helleson (Age 21; 1 and 1/5th in AHL)​
C Lopina (Age 21/22; 1 and 1/5th in AHL)​
RD Andersson (Age 22/23; 2 and 1/4th in AHL)​
LW Tracey (Age 21; 2 and 1/4th seaons)​
C Groulx (Age: 22/23; 3rd year in AHL)​
RW Perreault (Age 20; 3rd year in AHL)​

I give a lot of credit to Eakins forcing GM Verbeek to putting Regenda in the AHL. Regenda is has been playing top line minutes consistently in the AHL.

Stewing outside the AHL:
LD/RD Lacombe (Age 21/22; four years in NCAA)​
RW Colangelo (Age 20/21; three years in NCAA)​
RD Moore (Age 20/21: three years in NCAA... Harvard prospect)​
LD Zell (two years in CHL since drafted)​
RW Pastujov (two years in CHL since drafted)​
LD Hinds (two years in CHL since drafted)​

If we keep Rico, the most of our forward lines are accounted for next season:

Potential 2023-24 line up:
Rico-Z-Strome​
*Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson ... Regenda - McTavish - Terry​
xxx - Lundy - Vatrano​
Carrick - Groulx - xxx​
xxx​

Fowler - Drysdale​
Benoit - xxx​
Vaaks - White​
xxx​

I'm thinking LaCombe might be vying for an NHL roster spot and/or maybe Andersson/Helleson might see part-time duties rotating at the NHL level. Keeping Shatty would help with the right side balance as he'd be our best defensive d-man in that unit. ::: shudders :::

A key figure to our defense is how quickly can Hinds acclimate to the pro level. Hinds is our best defensive d-man prospect. Optimistic outlook would be for Hinds to dominate the AHL level for half a season and the brought up to the NHL level. Otherwise, he's developing in the AHL with Minty and Zell.

The 2022 class, outside of Minty and King, should stay in place in where they're at. Minty goes to the AHL. King, I have no idea where he's going b/c he's 21 and isn't eligible for the CHL, but we own his rights next season. Gaucher could be a player who goes pro. I guess that would make sense if Groulx gets promoted to the NHL club. 2nd round D-men Warren and Luneau get to continue their development. Asst GM Madden is really for the long development of Warren and Luneau, which he gave insight in a recent podcast shared on our boards.

If Minty and Zell dominate the AHL next season, then the 2024-25 season may see them in the NHL. We're gonna be too damn young still. Hopefully, Helleson or Andersson prove to be higher barometers for Minty, Zell, and Hinds.

Potential 2024-25 D pairings
Fowler-Hinds​
LaCombe-Drysdale​
Minty-Andersson/Helleson​
Benoit​

Reactions: lwvs84

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His closest play style comparable is 100% Makar. We'll see how it translates without the explosive skating although Minty is a pretty damn good skater in his own right.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
Minty leads the OHL d-men in points with 70 pts. link
Luneau leads the Q d-men in points with 63 pts. link
Zellweger is 4th in the WHL d-men in points with 60 pts. link
LaCombe is 4th in the NCAA d-men in points with 31 pts. link

Hinds leads the Q d-men in +/- rating with 48 (link) and 5th overall among skaters, behind by +3 (link)

That's pretty damn impressive. Also a reason why I don't think Verbeek will invest long term on a FA D in the next couple of seasons.

Add the hard-hitting, fast-wheeling Noah Warren into the mix and you've got yourself a pretty solid defensive future.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Add the hard-hitting, fast-wheeling Noah Warren into the mix and you've got yourself a pretty solid defensive future.

Warren's gonna take some time to develop, but I'm not worried. He had an injury that the Ducks addressed at the start of training camp. Also, Madden gave the impression that it's okay to take their time to develop, even if it's at the age of 23.

I like Warren very much and can't wait to display his progress into the future. For now, I'm okay leaving him out of limelight until it's his time to shine. He was the last of the top tier shutdown D in the 2022 draft and fortuante we grabbed him.

Reactions: Yemeth

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Mintyukov is now up to a PPG for Ottawa.

For context: on their team, only Morrison is clearly above a PPG. Then there are Beck and Rohrer who are barely (2 points) above PPG, and Pineli, Tolnai who are PPG. Those are all forwards ofc.

So Minty is up there right with his team's top scorers, outside Morrison. If you take away his first games you could make a case that Minty is their 2nd best scorer on the team.

And Ottawa is the best team in the OHL, 5 points ahead of everyone.

So while Mintys production has been down, he is still producing very solid compared to his peers and his environment. I haven't caught him play basically at all in Ottawa so I cannot comment on how he actually looks on the ice. Another thing that sticks out is his +/- not being ideal compared to the other best scorers on the team, tho.

Tristan Luneau is now the point leader among all defencemen in the QMJHL (65 points in 54 games).
Luneau is probably the smoothest skater that I have seen play for the Olympiques and I've been following the team for over 40 years.
I have seen him turn it up as well with his skating. At times he looks super confident and it feels like he just dictates everything on the ice when he has the puck on his stick, just dominant. But in most shifts he looks just(or very) ok, doing simple and effective plays. He's been interesting to follow.

I am a big fan of Warren but he doesn't get much ice time it seems. Why is it so?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hvidston has a primary assist early on.

Oddest thing. I was looking at the box score for Swift Current and didn't know Hvid the kid took faceoffs. He's 9/14 on the dot with 6 minutes left in the game. Then I looked at the team page and Hvid the kid has the most faceoff attempts on the team with 955 faceoff attempts. EP lists him as a LW. The WHL lists him as a RW. So is he a winger who takes faceoffs or is he playing center this year?

Reactions: Kalv

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Oddest thing. I was looking at the box score for Swift Current and didn't know Hvid the kid took faceoffs. He's 9/14 on the dot with 6 minutes left in the game. Then I looked at the team page and Hvid the kid has the most faceoff attempts on the team with 955 faceoff attempts. EP lists him as a LW. The WHL lists him as a RW. So is he a winger who takes faceoffs or is he playing center this year?
He plays center but is likely a winger at the pro level.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We should never trade our 5ths…I hope this kid becomes another home run like Terry.
He has oddly a lot of similarities to Terry. Birthday is 1 day off I think (Terry's the same as when Zellweger), both had very unfilled frames when drafted. Both kind of playing center but projecting as wingers for the pros, both are responsible two-way players. Terry has always had a bit more offensive potential, but Hvid might be a better two-way player, there are respectable people (mainly on EliteProspects) who are pointing out his defensive work. And Hvid has a bit larger frame and looks like he might be willing to even drop the gloves when needed, lol.

I hope Hvid makes Team Canada juniors next season – he did play in the U18 actually, which is quite significant if you ask me. He is a few years away from the show, but he could be a great winger for Lundestrom.

I was checking the same last week and was as surprised. His % is not great tho with a little improvement from the last season, but there must be a reason he is relied on so much. Broncos traded for that other dude, I forgot his name, and he seemed to take as much if not more FO's as Hvid it seemed.
But it's fascinating in how many ways it seems that Hvid is impacting the game. It's not just points, he's a well rounded dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad