Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
LHD Pavel Mintyukov (Saginaw Spirit/Anaheim Ducks)
Mintyukov’s talent and makeup looked high end last year but there were questions throughout his draft season about whether his decision-making and defending would get to where they needed to get to in order for him to profile as the quality of player you hope you’re getting when you draft a kid 10th (they really let him run loose in Saginaw). This season, everything has aligned for him and he has looked like he’s in Olen Zellweger’s class in the best-defenceman-in-the-CHL conversation. He has completely controlled everything that has happened on the ice at both ends for the Spirit, leading them in scoring while suppressing chances and driving goal-differential results at five-on-five. And it all starts with his reads and choices on the ice. He’s striking the right risk-reward balance right now.

This from Scott wheeler

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I love that the “best defensemen in the CHL” conversation consists of 2 Ducks prospects lol.
We've got high-level defensive prospects in like every league in North America and there are still people on here that act like our future at defense is nonexistent purely based on the fact that our defense on our main roster this year stinks

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Checked the highlights and Warren was all over them at the start but then disappeared. His stat line is quite empty as well this game, I wonder if he was benched/injured?

Nope.

Warren's played in 7 games since his return from injury. His first game was a highlight reel with 2 assists and then quite offensively. Offense really isn't Warren's forte because he's more known as a defensive d-man. He has registered 13 hits in 7 games so far. It might take more than 7 games to get back into hockey shape for Warren since he had foot surgery with the Ducks.

D+0: 24 pts in 62 games, 0.39 ppg​
D+1: 3 pts in 7 games, 0.43 ppg​

His scoring rate is similar to his previous season, although it's a small sample.

Curious, what were your expectations of Warren?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Our defensive pool needs a HIGH end two way guy. Like Jake Sanderson. or another Hampus Lindholm.

I don't see that happening anytime soon, especially not in the next draft with all those top-end forwards. Sanderson went 5th overall and Lindholm went 6th overall. In 2024, there's 6'3 RHD Elick. Maybe there could be a dark horse we don't know about in 2024. Both Sanderson and Lindholm rose up late in the draft scouting process.

If we can find more Manson-types (shutdown), then we can try to be like the Florida Panthers. Have a strong forward core to mask some of the blue line's defensive play. With a lot of our top blue liners being OFDs in Mintyukov, Drysdale, and Zellweger, I'd settle for Manson-types for each of those OFD's.

Getting Manson-type D is probably more feasible than finding another Lindholm.

Reactions: Deuce22

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Nope.

Warren's played in 7 games since his return from injury. His first game was a highlight reel with 2 assists and then quite offensively. Offense really isn't Warren's forte because he's more known as a defensive d-man. He has registered 13 hits in 7 games so far. It might take more than 7 games to get back into hockey shape for Warren since he had foot surgery with the Ducks.

D+0: 24 pts in 62 games, 0.39 ppg​
D+1: 3 pts in 7 games, 0.43 ppg​

His scoring rate is similar to his previous season, although it's a small sample.

Curious, what were your expectations of Warren?
I meant his presence in the highlights of that particular game (last one). He was in every scene at the start and looking good, but then nowhere. Might be a coincidence as well ofc, just wondering.

Btw, the game before, he made a nice breakout pass over half the ice for a goal. I like him and our org desperately need him to succeed.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I meant his presence in the highlights of that particular game (last one). He was in every scene at the start and looking good, but then nowhere. Might be a coincidence as well ofc, just wondering.

Btw, the game before, he made a nice breakout pass over half the ice for a goal. I like him and our org desperately need him to succeed.

Succeed at what? That's why I was asking of your expecations of Warren.

I just see Warren as a shutdown D before rookie camp. At camp, he showed he's got a howitzer from the point. He can be a shutdown D with the occasional bomb from the point. At 6'5 and 225, I want him to be dominant in our end, win puck battles, and clear out the front of the net on PK and end of game situations.

While not on highlight reels often nor scoring, at least he's recording hits. I want his plus/minus rating to be high positives, but I do think his foot surgery recovery might be slow after his initial game back.

The team has an overflowing amount of scoring defensive prospects with 1.00 ppg or higher. On my Nov 7 prospect update, we had the following D-men with 1.00 ppg or higher: Zellweger, Mintyukov, Hinds, Thrun, Moore, and LaCombe. Zell, Minty, and LaCombe are OFD's. Moore is a transitional guy. Thrun and Hinds are DFD's.

Another defenseman picking up scoring is Luneau, Warren's teammate. Luneau, on the Nov 7 prospect update, had a 0.80 ppg rate, 12 pts in 15 games.

Our org needs physical, defensive d-men and we have four in tow: Helleson, Thrun, Hinds, and Warren. I'd love all of them to succeed, but in case it doesn't happen, then we still have quite a few bites at it. At rookie tourney and training camp, Thrun is the only one who couldn't participate due to NCAA rules (school started). Between Helleson, Hinds, and Warren, the most impressive of the three, imo, is Hinds. He wins puck battles and cleanly finds a way to exit the puck out of our zone. His simple game stood out all the time. With Hinds, he didn't flex his offensive prowess at rookie or training camp. A scout wrote a description of Hinds as Lindholm-lite. I like that b/c Hinds physicality is more like Lindholm than Manson.

Reactions: Trojans86

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's a physical defensemen... I haven't seen a shutdown defender... He plays in the Q we won't know that until he moves up leagues. If he was a shutdown defender at his size/skating he would have went a lot earlier.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Succeed at what? That's why I was asking of your expecations of Warren.

I just see Warren as a shutdown D before rookie camp. At camp, he showed he's got a howitzer from the point. He can be a shutdown D with the occasional bomb from the point. At 6'5 and 225, I want him to be dominant in our end, win puck battles, and clear out the front of the net on PK and end of game situations.

While not on highlight reels often nor scoring, at least he's recording hits. I want his plus/minus rating to be high positives, but I do think his foot surgery recovery might be slow after his initial game back.

The team has an overflowing amount of scoring defensive prospects with 1.00 ppg or higher. On my Nov 7 prospect update, we had the following D-men with 1.00 ppg or higher: Zellweger, Mintyukov, Hinds, Thrun, Moore, and LaCombe. Zell, Minty, and LaCombe are OFD's. Moore is a transitional guy. Thrun and Hinds are DFD's.

Another defenseman picking up scoring is Luneau, Warren's teammate. Luneau, on the Nov 7 prospect update, had a 0.80 ppg rate, 12 pts in 15 games.

Our org needs physical, defensive d-men and we have four in tow: Helleson, Thrun, Hinds, and Warren. I'd love all of them to succeed, but in case it doesn't happen, then we still have quite a few bites at it. At rookie tourney and training camp, Thrun is the only one who couldn't participate due to NCAA rules (school started). Between Helleson, Hinds, and Warren, the most impressive of the three, imo, is Hinds. He wins puck battles and cleanly finds a way to exit the puck out of our zone. His simple game stood out all the time. With Hinds, he didn't flex his offensive prowess at rookie or training camp. A scout wrote a description of Hinds as Lindholm-lite. I like that b/c Hinds physicality is more like Lindholm than Manson.
Succeed at being a reliable and physical/punishing presence on the blueline. It's whats hard to find, the Manson-type.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Hvidston with the primary assist on a shorthanded goal and then a minute later he scores himself. I think we might be in the midst of a major breakout here.

Henry thrun has added a goal in one of the more surprising ways we could think of:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Hvidston with the primary assist on a shorthanded goal and then a minute later he scores himself. I think we might be in the midst of a major breakout here.

Henry thrun has added a goal in one of the more surprising ways we could think of:

Yeah, its quite odd but expect more of this in the future, they have deployed him as a net front presence on the power play in one of the other Harvard games I have watched this year as well. Well it seems to be working as strange as it is.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'm not used to seeing an NCAA game played earlier in the week.

Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Gaucher has almost doubled his shot production over last season. This year he is taking 4.5 shots a game vs 2.6 last year.

His shot percentage is down to 13% from 18%, but with shooting almost twice as much he is on pace for 40 goals (scored 31 last year).

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Hinds has a second primary assist in the second. Good game between he and gaucher

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad