Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I take it the Ducks likely won't qualify him.

It seems weird to give up on Andersson so early in his career, especially when Madden said in a recent podcast to not worry about producing early and it could take until age 25 to fully develop. Defensively, I think he's ahead of the curve on Helleson. Too bad Andersson's latter two seasons here where mostly injured events. The odd thing is I don't think Andersson was promoted to top pairing like Helleson was, which seemed odd.

OTOH, it does open up another contract spot.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Which podcast was this? Btw, do we maintain the rights?

They talk about defensemen taking time to develop at the end of the podcast around the 22:30 mark. (The video I'll share should start there.) Although the podcasters were denoting Warren and Luneau, the thought applies to all defensemen.

I don't know if we maintain Andersson's rights. We don't know the details if Verbeek wasn't going to sign him and that's what prompted him to be able to go back to Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv and Static

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
They talk about defensemen taking time to develop at the end of the podcast around the 22:30 mark. (The video I'll share should start there.) Although the podcasters were denoting Warren and Luneau, the thought applies to all defensemen.

I don't know if we maintain Andersson's rights. We don't know the details if Verbeek wasn't going to sign him and that's what prompted him to be able to go back to Sweden.

Ah this one I know, thank you. I hoped there is a more recent one. Thanks nevertheless :)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I hadn't seen this one, nice.

I thought it was interesting that they mentioned "Draft +5 is real". I was thinking about it some time ago as well, that players for the most part seem to start entering their primes 5 years from their draft-eligible season (so age 23 roughly).

So while we're undoubtedly always excited about the current draft, it's worth looking 5 years ago. That means 2018 now. While Ludy has been around for a while, hopefully, he can have a strong next season, and we should see Dostal and BOG making a bigger dent as well.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
That sucks if Andersson won’t get a shot if he goes back to Sweden. More of weird asset management from Verbeek than Murray honestly.

I get that Axel was filled with injuries with his time in SD, but from what I gather here, he was great when he played

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
That sucks if Andersson won’t get a shot if he goes back to Sweden. More of weird asset management from Verbeek than Murray honestly.

I get that Axel was filled with injuries with his time in SD, but from what I gather here, he was great when he played
Probably should have put in some more effort in testing the market to see what was available for a prospect swap. But he doesn’t sound like a good multitasker since apparently drafting #2 is a such a big burden on his time in finding a head coach. He’s definitely not a good or active dealer like BM or Burke.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Probably should have put in some more effort in testing the market to see what was available for a prospect swap. But he doesn’t sound like a good multitasker since apparently drafting #2 is a such a big burden on his time in finding a head coach. He’s definitely not a good or active dealer like BM or Burke.
Undersized, oft-injured, and doesn't excel in any one area of the game is the very definition of little or no value.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
When BM was talking to the media about a trade with the Bruins, and he said he had to tell the Bruins GM “come on, you gotta give me something”… was Andersson the something? If so, what we ended up getting seems right in line with how the trade went down.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
When BM was talking to the media about a trade with the Bruins, and he said he had to tell the Bruins GM “come on, you gotta give me something”… was Andersson the something? If so, what we ended up getting seems right in line with how the trade went down.
Boston's prospect pool was very shallow at the time. Andersson was someone I think the Ducks had been interested in drafting in his draft year and he was a 2nd round pick. Unfortunately, injuries derailed his development. Ironic that the Ducks ended up with both Vaak and Andersson out of their system. Yikes.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I remember that as well… BM made me envision that he as begging on his hands and knees for anything in return. Pretty sad… couldn’t even get bust Studnicka in the trade because every Bruins prospect and player is apparently gold…

Undersized, oft-injured, and doesn't excel in any one area of the game is the very definition of little or no value.
He actually can play a bit of defense and can skate. Can’t we get at least an enforcer type of player? An undrafted Middleton or Goodrow? (Before their breakout, but doing well in the AHL).

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’m impressed by how much you know about the personal work habits of such a new GM.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Andersson was one of five people who finished with a +1 rating or higher in 2021-22. McTavish was one of those players, but he only had played 3 AHL games. In 2022-23, this past season, is one of two players who finished with a +1 rating or higher. The other player was D White in only 5 AHL games.

Verbeek is giving up on him after finishing his ELC. It doesn't make any sense if Verbeek wants many darts.

Another take is that with three rookies added to the Gulls (LD Zell, LD Hinds, and LD Minty) this season, Verbeek may want a couple more veteran D, especially if RD Helleson remains in San Diego. Then, thinking to 2024-25, Anaheim could bringing in three more D prospects to San Diego in RD Luneau, RD Warren, and RD Moore. Could be a numbers game and Andersson wouldn't be in the picture.

Andersson could have been used as trade bait or trade bait extra at the TDL if the org knew he wouldn't be re-signed.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I believe Murray was joking. That's what it sounded like in the interview.

Murray was specifically targeting RD and Andersson was that player. In the 2020 draft, we drafted RD Drysdale, which added more depth to RD for the organization. What we didn't know at the time of the draft was that Murray noted he had two defensemen on his radar in LD Sanderson and RD Drysdale. Sanderson went 5th and Drysdale 6th. The next defenseman drafted went 16th in Kaiden Guhle.

Also in the 2020 draft, we snagged RD Moore in the 3rd round and RD Nickl in the 4th round.

Why so many RD's in the 2020 draft? Probably because we drafted LD LaCombe and LD Thrun in the 2019 draft as well as already had LD Fowler along with LD Lindholm in the NHL. All we had in the org before the 2019-20 TDL was RD Manson as a core piece.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Andersson was one of five people who finished with a +1 rating or higher in 2021-22. McTavish was one of those players, but he only had played 3 AHL games. In 2022-23, this past season, is one of two players who finished with a +1 rating or higher. The other player was D White in only 5 AHL games.

Verbeek is giving up on him after finishing his ELC. It doesn't make any sense if Verbeek wants many darts.

Another take is that with three rookies added to the Gulls (LD Zell, LD Hinds, and LD Minty) this season, Verbeek may want a couple more veteran D, especially if RD Helleson remains in San Diego. Then, thinking to 2024-25, Anaheim could bringing in three more D prospects to San Diego in RD Luneau, RD Warren, and RD Moore. Could be a numbers game and Andersson wouldn't be in the picture.

Andersson could have been used as trade bait or trade bait extra at the TDL if the org knew he wouldn't be re-signed.
As you mentioned earlier, it opens up a contract spot which is more valuable to them than the player. I don't believe Andersson had much trade value given his injury history.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’m impressed by how much you know about the personal work habits of such a new GM.

To be fair, Verbeek did admit picking #2 would hamper looking for a new head coach.

To add onto that oddity of taking extra time, Verbeek didn't know much about Hinds until prospect camp. I'm sorta lost about that b/c I would have thought he'd known somethings about Hinds since Verbeek is deep into scouting, either by way of his scouts or him reviewing some highlight tapes by the scouts. Verbeek did try to sign NCAA junior defensemen Thrun and LaCombe before the 2021-22 season ended, which means he did scout those two defensemen. Between Thrun/LaCombe, the 2022 draft, and before prospect tourney, Hinds was simply not on Verbeek's sphere.

Hinds is now on Verbeek's realm and I'm glad Verbeek extended the ELC to Hinds after training camp. Tyson was a forgotten prospect after the 2022 defensive drafting of Minty, Warren, and Luneau.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
As you mentioned earlier, it opens up a contract spot which is more valuable to them than the player. I don't believe Andersson had much trade value given his injury history.

Verbeek traded for D Vaaks, who has had an injury history, including two concussions, iirc, as part of the Lindholm deal. I think Vaaks was still injured when we did acquire him. So why couldn't Verbeek have added Andersson as an added sweetener to either improve the draft pick round or swap prospects?

Hell, I'd take Andersson over Vaaks, but Vaaks is a Verbeek get while Andersson isn't.

• 2021-22 AHL
    • Andersson: 35 games, 10 pts, +2 rating
    • Helleson: 17 games, 2 pts, -14 rating

• 2022-23 AHL
    • Andersson: 32 games, 5 pts, +1 rating
    • Helleson: 65 games, 18 pts, -17 rating
    • Vaaks: 1 game, 0 pts, -1 rating

Helleson got top pairing minutes, which I don't think Andersson was ever given. I think Helleson will be in the AHL to start the 2023-24 season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Verbeek traded for D Vaaks, who has had an injury history, including two concussions, iirc, as part of the Lindholm deal. I think Vaaks was still injured when we did acquire him. So why couldn't Verbeek have added Andersson as an added sweetener to either improve the draft pick round or swap prospects?

Hell, I'd take Andersson over Vaaks, but Vaaks is a Verbeek get while Andersson isn't.

• 2021-22 AHL
    • Andersson: 35 games, 10 pts, +2 rating
    • Helleson: 17 games, 2 pts, -14 rating

• 2022-23 AHL
    • Andersson: 32 games, 5 pts, +1 rating
    • Helleson: 65 games, 18 pts, -17 rating
    • Vaaks: 1 game, 0 pts, -1 rating

Helleson got top pairing minutes, which I don't think Andersson was ever given. I think Helleson will be in the AHL to start the 2023-24 season.
All that just tells me that Andersson was never in PV's future plans.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Dodged your insinuation of "I don't believe Andersson had much trade value given his injury history."
C'mon, there is no dodge. He's going back to Europe because the worst defensive team in the NHL isn't planning to tender him a contract and doesn't want him anymore. His trade value is another AHL player. The likelihood of him playing another game in North America for the rest of his career is remote.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
To add onto that oddity of taking extra time, Verbeek didn't know much about Hinds until prospect camp. I'm sorta lost about that b/c I would have thought he'd known somethings about Hinds since Verbeek is deep into scouting, either by way of his scouts or him reviewing some highlight tapes by the scouts. Verbeek did try to sign NCAA junior defensemen Thrun and LaCombe before the 2021-22 season ended, which means he did scout those two defensemen. Between Thrun/LaCombe, the 2022 draft, and before prospect tourney, Hinds was simply not on Verbeek's sphere.

I'm not sure how to word this properly, but Verbeek doesn't strike me as a junior type of scout. He seems to be more into the college/American guys judging by the prospects he's brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad