Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
King's Red Deer Rebels blew a 3-0 series lead to Sasktatoon and are now eliminated from the playoffs. Here are our remaining CHL prospects who made it to the semifinals:

WHL - Olen Zellweger (Kamloops vs. Seattle starts on Saturday 4/29)
OHL - Sasha Pastujov (Sarnia vs. London starts on Friday 4/28)
QMJHL - Tristan Luneau (Gatineau vs. Quebec starts on Friday 4/28)
QMJHL - Nathan Gaucher (Quebec vs. Gatineau starts on Friday 4/28)
QMJHL - Tyson Hinds (Sherbrooke vs. Halifax starts on Saturday 4/29)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We had a prospect win that before and became nothing… welinsky?
Nope.

Any notable names seem to be Letang and Savard. Obviously, Hinds is more to the playstyle of Savard, altho he's different. It's a very unique award, in a way - usually prospects focus on offense. Hinds has been great whenever I've seen him, turning the ice in his teams favor not with his offense but breaking the plays up and getting the puck going for his team.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
King's Red Deer Rebels blew a 3-0 series lead to Sasktatoon and are now eliminated from the playoffs. Here are our remaining CHL prospects who made it to the semifinals:

WHL - Olen Zellweger (Kamloops vs. Seattle starts on Saturday 4/29)
OHL - Sasha Pastujov (Sarnia vs. London starts on Friday 4/28)
QMJHL - Tristan Luneau (Gatineau vs. Quebec starts on Friday 4/28)
QMJHL - Nathan Gaucher (Quebec vs. Gatineau starts on Friday 4/28)
QMJHL - Tyson Hinds (Sherbrooke vs. Halifax starts on Saturday 4/29)
There’s like a 50% chance I’ll be able watch a couple days of the memorial cup in person this year so I’m hoping a couple other prospects than Zell make it. Should at least have 1 from the Q.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There’s like a 50% chance I’ll be able watch a couple days of the memorial cup in person this year so I’m hoping a couple other prospects than Zell make it. Should at least have 1 from the Q.
I believe that 1 will be from the Q but no more as they will send one team... Warren is injured

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Nope.

Any notable names seem to be Letang and Savard. Obviously, Hinds is more to the playstyle of Savard, altho he's different. It's a very unique award, in a way - usually prospects focus on offense. Hinds has been great whenever I've seen him, turning the ice in his teams favor not with his offense but breaking the plays up and getting the puck going for his team.
Nathan saunders was ours

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Currently, Hinds leads his team in plus/minus for the playoffs with a +11 rating.

Hinds could be a dark horse to make the NHL club next season. This could be a higher chance of occurring if Verbeek doesn't re-sign/extend Benoit.
Hopefully Benoit is kept around, he's a needed physical presence now and would be an ideal 6/7 when the Ducks are competitive again.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I believe that 1 will be from the Q but no more as they will send one team... Warren is injured
Yeah, I meant “at least 1, coming from the Q.” The only way to get another in would be to have Pasta make it from the O.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hopefully Benoit is kept around, he's a needed physical presence now and would be an ideal 6/7 when the Ducks are competitive again.
Really just depends on what we do in terms of bringing Talent in..

Benoit is okay.... i see him more of a 7ish guy for us.... hoping we sign someone that can kinda clear traffic and defend the younger players on the roster.

Schenn, Mayfield, Hakanpaa types.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Any chance Hinds could be a good partner for Drysdale?
Absolutely. They'd be a super smooth-skating pair. Hinds have to prove he can hang with the big pros first – personally, I'm confident he'll figure it out, it's just a question of how much time he needs. But in an ideal scenario, that's a really nice pair. Also Hinds-Zellweger depending on how confident Zell will be on the right side in pros. That's a pair we could see already next year in San Diego, perhaps. Albeit not sure how keen McIlvane would be to pair two rookies.

Reactions: lwvs84

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Someone on the 67's board posted year-end player reviews and this is what he had to say about Mintyukov:
Came as advertised. Best D-Man in the OHL? I think so. Many will argue Clarke of course but I give the nod to Mintyukov because he was in the OHL for the whole season. It is hard to judge a player based only on a half season. This kid is going to have a stellar NHL career. Size and skill from the back end? And can defend? He looks effortless out there. Just a crazy good player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Someone on the 67's board posted year-end player reviews and this is what he had to say about Mintyukov:

I agree, I think the switch to Ott gave me more faith that he could be in the NHL this year.

His defensive play in sag got super underrated because he was basically deployed as a 4th forward…. I think that is part of the reason Mintyukov was even available at 10.

I think he has elite #1 upside, and wouldn’t be shocked if he plays himself onto the roster out of camp. Getting him and luneau last year, I feel like we filled out 2/4 of our top 4 of the future, add that to drysdale, and potentially zellweger/hinds (who I see more likely to become top 4 dmen over helleson Warren and lacombe) and the defense is going to be fantastic in 2-3 years

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I like his maturity and he's right. He says he would have preferred the league to wait for the end of the playoffs to announce the winners of the trophies. He prefers to concentrate on the collective success right now,

I was wondering who would win between the 2…. Thought both were pretty deserving.

I agree. It was probably close between the two.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I agree, I think the switch to Ott gave me more faith that he could be in the NHL this year.

His defensive play in sag got super underrated because he was basically deployed as a 4th forward…. I think that is part of the reason Mintyukov was even available at 10.

I think he has elite #1 upside, and wouldn’t be shocked if he plays himself onto the roster out of camp. Getting him and luneau last year, I feel like we filled out 2/4 of our top 4 of the future, add that to drysdale, and potentially zellweger/hinds (who I see more likely to become top 4 dmen over helleson Warren and lacombe) and the defense is going to be fantastic in 2-3 years

A total of five defensemen went in the top-12 in the 2022 draft.

2. Nemec​
6. Jiricek​
7. Korchinski​
10. Minty​
12. Mateychuk​

There were three tier groupings of defensemen in the first round, early second round:

Tier 1, two-way D: Nemec, Jiricek​
Tier 2, OFD: Korchinski, Minty, Mateychuk​
Tier 3, DFD: Bichsel, Pickering, Lamoureux, Chesley, Warren​

I don't understand the notion that Minty "fell to 10th" with the knowledge known at that time and all the other talents that went ahead of Minty. Minty fell in the range he should have went with that knowledge known back then.

The three OFD's all played different styles. I didn't want Mateychuk because he's 5'11 and we already have two smaller defensemen in our system with Drysdale and Zellweger. Between Korchinski and Minty, Korchinski has a slightly longer history than Minty due to the OHL shutting down a season. Minty transitioned from Russian to play in the OHL when COVID hit. Korchinski, imo, had limited skills that he does well and stayed at the blueline in the offensive zone. Minty was the riverboat gambler and walk down from the blueline often, which is why he looks like a 4th forward.

Many don't like using plus/minus, but maybe it played a part of why Korchinski went a little bit higher than many expected. Yet, watching all the video scouting online, I came away wanting Minty more than Korchinski and Mateychuk.

D+0, points & plus/minus rating
Korchinski: 65 points and +36 rating​
Minty: 62 points and -14 rating​
Matey: 64 points and +20 rating​

All three did well in their D+1 season. I'm still glad we took Minty. Although, if C Marco Kasper would have been available at 10th and Minty was still there, we might not have drafted Minty.

=====

Why does LaCombe not have a high ceiling for you to not be considered a top-4? He's got the size at 6'2, 201 lbs, speed equal to Zellweger, edgework like Zellweger (but more looks refined), ability to predict shots take to be blocked, and has an offensive mind.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
A total of five defensemen went in the top-12 in the 2022 draft.

2. Nemec​
6. Jiricek​
7. Korchinski​
10. Minty​
12. Mateychuk​

There were three tier groupings of defensemen in the first round, early second round:

Tier 1, two-way D: Nemec, Jiricek​
Tier 2, OFD: Korchinski, Minty, Mateychuk​
Tier 3, DFD: Bichsel, Pickering, Lamoureux, Chesley, Warren​

I don't understand the notion that Minty "fell to 10th" with the knowledge known at that time and all the other talents that went ahead of Minty. Minty fell in the range he should have went with that knowledge known back then.

The three OFD's all played different styles. I didn't want Mateychuk because he's 5'11 and we already have two smaller defensemen in our system with Drysdale and Zellweger. Between Korchinski and Minty, Korchinski has a slightly longer history than Minty due to the OHL shutting down a season. Minty transitioned from Russian to play in the OHL when COVID hit. Korchinski, imo, had limited skills that he does well and stayed at the blueline in the offensive zone. Minty was the riverboat gambler and walk down from the blueline often, which is why he looks like a 4th forward.

Many don't like using plus/minus, but maybe it played a part of why Korchinski went a little bit higher than many expected. Yet, watching all the video scouting online, I came away wanting Minty more than Korchinski and Mateychuk.

D+0, points & plus/minus rating
Korchinski: 65 points and +36 rating​
Minty: 62 points and -14 rating​
Matey: 64 points and +20 rating​

All three did well in their D+1 season. I'm still glad we took Minty. Although, if C Marco Kasper would have been available at 10th and Minty was still there, we might not have drafted Minty.

=====

Why does LaCombe not have a high ceiling for you to not be considered a top-4? He's got the size at 6'2, 201 lbs, speed equal to Zellweger, edgework like Zellweger (but more looks refined), ability to predict shots take to be blocked, and has an offensive mind.

I think Mintyukov was mislabeled due to the offense that was ran in sag, and I’ve always thought Minyukov was in the same tier as nemec + jiricek…. Thought he would be gone at 6 but was hoping he’d last until 10, very happy we got him.

Kasper was irrelevant…. The plan seems like it was always go forward this year, I think defense was always what we were aiming at on draft day…. And I imagine a few teams had Minyukov in their top 5. Look how fast sharks traded their pick when Minyukov was off the board.

Just personal preference…. I think ultimately lacombe gets pushed out in Anaheim and ends up trade bait at some point… he is solid but I don’t think he really does any 1 thing more effective than any of our other lhd prospects

Reactions: Deuce22 and lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad