Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I’m so over this WE COULD HAVE PICKED SO AND SO AFTER GAUCHER crap GET OVER IT!!!!!!!! Stop living in the past! Build up gaucher or don’t whine it’s a MOOT POINT
Relax...we're just killing time in advance of the barrage of insane trade proposals and crazy free agency signing suggestions that are coming soon. To be capped off by predications of how the Ducks are going to make the playoffs next year. It's all good.

Reactions: Kalv and pbgoalie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They could have drafted Aho over Larsson ! ! Imagine having Aho and Terry from the 2015 draft class.

Missing context here. In 2014, we drafted LW Ritchie 10th overall. Anaheim was in its third consecutive playoff appearance, with 2014-15 finishing at the Western Conference Finals. Selecting D Larsson at 27th in the 2015 draft reflects two patterns: draft balance and the strength at drafting D. The next draft, the 2016 draft, Anaheim drafted two forwards in the first round with Jones at 24th and Steel at 30th.

The big problem started in 2016 draft. Anaheim stopped doing a balanced draft by not drafting more than one defenseman per draft between a 3-year period, from 2016 to 2018. We drafted more goalies than defensemen in that 3-year period.

2016: Rd 3. D Mahura​
2017: No defensemen drafted; Rd 5. G OEE​
2018: Rd 3. G Dostal; Rd 5. G Durny; Rd 7. D Hunter Drew, but he converted to forward​

Starting from 2019, the org went back to "balanced drafting". That was also the start of the Murray rebuild, which formally started at the 2018-19 TDL.

Going by Central Scouting's Final Mock, F Snuggerud ranked much higher than F Gaucher and F Kulich ranked a little higher than Gaucher. Why? Because both Snuggerud and Kulich possess top-6 forward potentials whereas Gaucher's projection is 3C.

IMO, i thought we drafted a slightly bigger, slightly faster, but with far more bite Groulx. Groulx was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2018 draft. BO Groulx started as a 4C for the Ducks in the 2019 season, but the NHL ate him up after a dozen games. A year after the draft, Gaucher's numbers look eerily similar to Groulx's D+0 and D+1 seasons. I believe Gaucher has a higher upside than Groulx b/c I see Groulx's NHL max level as a 4C.

Verbeek has a particular vision for his future team. PV doesn't want to waste a roster spot on just a pugilist to babysit his club. He would rather have a whole team that "should" be able to fend for itself. That's why Verbeek's forwards are taller in his first draft as Ducks' GM. (I'll be using Hockey-Reference.com's metrics.)

• 2022 Drafted Forwards
    • Rd 1. C Gaucher: 6'3 and 208 lbs shutdown forward with bite
    • Rd 4. C King: 6'3 and 201 lbs double overager who can't skate
    • Rd 5. F Hvidston: 6'1 and 165 lbs Sept birth shutdown forward with bite
    • Rd 6. RW Callow: 6'4 and 181 lbs high school project goal scorer

Snuggerud is 6'1 and 185 lbs top-6 scorer. Kulich is 5'11 and 172 lbs top-6 scorer.

The Gaucher vs Snuggerud/Kulich conversation isn't strictly about talent comparison miss, at least it isn't for me. The conversation identifies a shift in preference and hockey philosophies. One layer of difference is under Murray, the team took big swings with his late, first round forward picks; under Verbeek, it's the safer, surer bet prospect to be an NHL mainstay with Gaucher. There are many other layers. It's very interesting to track, but we also don't know how it'll pan out because it's still years early to review.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That’s a long post responding to someone who I think was being sarcastic.
I was definitely being sarcastic.
There is way too many what ifs in hindsight on who they could have picked vs who they picked.

Batherson instead of Barzini, Kuznetsov over Fowler, Justin Faulk over Etem, etc

Reactions: KelVarnsen

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
They could have drafted Aho over Larsson ! ! Imagine having Aho and Terry from the 2015 draft class.
In all seriousness, I remember that year our MGMT said they targeted one of Finnish 3 centers in round 2. 2 of them were picked before us, and we picked the remaining one which we were happy with, it was Nattinen. Other two were Aho and Hintz, presumably. Just a fun fact.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
In all seriousness, I remember that year our MGMT said they targeted one of Finnish 3 centers in round 2. 2 of them were picked before us, and we picked the remaining one which we were happy with, it was Nattinen. Other two were Aho and Hintz, presumably. Just a fun fact.
Some picks are bad the minute they are made. I'm sure there are a couple of diehard Broberg fans still trying to justify that pick. Same with Boucher in Ottawa. Picks that are just instantly bad and the fans who follow the draft closely know it.

Reactions: Kalv

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Some picks are bad the minute they are made. I'm sure there are a couple of diehard Broberg fans still trying to justify that pick. Same with Boucher in Ottawa. Picks that are just instantly bad and the fans who follow the draft closely know it.

And for every one of those picks there is a Lindholm reach that wasn’t a reach at all.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
And for every one of those picks there is a Lindholm reach that wasn’t a reach at all.
Yes, there are picks like Lindholm and Seider where the scouts do an exceptional job of identifying a talented player. And in almost every case where that happens, the player justifies the pick in their D+1 season with massive progression.

The truly bad picks are almost always made because the team was looking to fill a perceived need rather than the BPA approach. For example, the GM says "take the BPA on your board as long as he is 6'2" or taller". When the pick is bad, the player in the D+1 season shows little or no progression.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Luneau and Gaucher will go head-to-head as the Gatineau Olympiques will take on the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL semi-finals.

GO OL GO!!!

It will be the battle of the NHL Prospects. Gatineau and Quebec have 17 of the 36 NHL drafted players in the QMJHL.

Gatineau

Zachary Dean (VEG '21, 1st, #30) *Now a Blues prospect
Noah Warren (ANA '22, 2nd, #42) *Out for the remainder of the playoffs
Tristan Luneau (ANA '22, 2nd, #53)
Riley Kidney (MTL '21, 2nd, #63)
Samuel Savoie (CHI '22, 3rd, #81)
Olivier Nadeau (BUF '21, 4th, #97)
Haakon F. Hanelt (WAS '21, 5th, #151)
Isaac Belliveau (PIT '21, 5th, #154)
Cam MacDonald (TB '21, 5th, #160)
Alexis Gendron (PHI '22, 7th, #220)

Quebec

Zachary Bolduc (STL '21, 1st, #17)
Nathan Gaucher (ANA '22, 1st, #22)
Evan Nause (FLO '21, 2nd, #56)
Jeremy Langlois (ARI '22, 3rd, #94)
James Malatesta (CLB '21, 5th, #133)
Vsevolod Komarov (BUF '22, 5th, #134)
Justin Robidas (CAR '21, 5th, #147)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Another ferocious comeback from the 67's, but it falls just short as they lose 5-4. Mintyukov finished the game with 3 assists, but his season is over.
That team just wasn't good enough, Idk what the problem was. Minty looked solid whenever I watched him, reminds me of Luneau in the style he played there. Just confident with the puck, perhaps more aggressive than Luneau even.

But Ottawa paid a haul for Minty and they got as far as the Saginaw Spirit (Minty's old team), in the second round, lol. Minty finished with 9 points in 11 games in the playoffs. His production went down massively in Ottawa.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
And when you read the reports of Hintz back then, he had Ducks written all over him. Sadly we passed on a few really good players.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t live too far from gull stadium…. Team should get an exciting injection of talent, may have to frequent going to games next season

The Gulls are definitely going to be an exciting team to watch with so many prospects coming to the pro side next year: three new defensemen (Zell, Hinds, Minty) and few forwards (6'1 Pastujov, 6'3 Gaucher, 6'1 Wiebe, 6'3 Caulfield). Of course, we had an early debut of goalies with Alexander adn Clang this season. Assuming Groulx is NHL bound next year, I wonder who's going to be the Gulls' 1C? Current choices are Gawdin, Kirkland, or Gates Jr.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Gulls are definitely going to be an exciting team to watch with so many prospects coming to the pro side next year: three new defensemen (Zell, Hinds, Minty) and few forwards (6'1 Pastujov, 6'3 Gaucher, 6'1 Wiebe, 6'3 Caulfield). Of course, we had an early debut of goalies with Alexander adn Clang this season. Assuming Groulx is NHL bound next year, I wonder who's going to be the Gulls' 1C? Current choices are Gawdin, Kirkland, or Gates Jr.

Maybe gaucher

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Connor Bedard. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad