Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Gaucher wouldn’t have been on the board if we didn’t take him with that pick….

If that’s the guy we wanted then I’m glad we got him

Reactions: lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If only we could steal Dallas’ late round scouts for forwards. The top-end talent they’ve been able to identify after the first round is pretty ridiculous.
Agree. Their scouting has been amazing the last few years. Getting Johnston at 23 and then Stankoven at 47 in 2001 was ridiculous.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Agree. Their scouting has been amazing the last few years. Getting Johnston at 23 and then Stankoven at 47 in 2001 was ridiculous.

Stankoven at 47 takes me more to the question why he was not ranked better at several teams. But on the other hand, it needs just one player ranked above on your internal list.

Imho Dallas takes the risk with incomplete players other teams do not (first two rounds).

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Stankoven at 47 takes me more to the question why he was not ranked better at several teams. But on the other hand, it needs just one player ranked above on your internal list.
I'd imagine it was a combination of the fact he's 5'8 (honestly he could be smaller, he made Zellweger look tall at the World Juniors) and all teams had to go on with him was his rookie season in the WHL and a 6 game sample from his sophomore season going into the draft

Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Oct 18, 2011
Just realized Luneau will be back in the CHL next year. He is going to dominate. Hopefully he works on his skating even more. I feel like the biggest reason for his jump this year is how much better his skating got from his draft year.
I imagine with another year post knee injury it should improve

Oct 18, 2011
Wow and he missed so much of the season too. I really don’t understand the hate he gets.
Because he is not flashy and doesn't put up big numbers but I've seen him enough to feel like Anaheim really needs this type of player on its roster in the coming years.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Their top-4 scorers this year were all drafted after the first round (Pavelski obviously wasn’t their pick).

But Robertson, Benn, and Hintz were all drafted and developed into PPG+ players with Dallas.

Most teams would hope to get a player that level outside the first round once in a decade or so but Dallas just keeps hitting the jackpot.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Robertson at 39
Bourque at 30

Also got
Harley at 17
Bischel at 17
Kyrou at 50

Theyve killed it in drafting the last little while…. I think stars and wild are 2 of the top drafting teams in the league in terms of getting a lot of value with minimal high picks

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Robertson at 39
Bourque at 30

Also got
Harley at 17
Bischel at 17
Kyrou at 50

Theyve killed it in drafting the last little while…. I think stars and wild are 2 of the top drafting teams in the league in terms of getting a lot of value with minimal high picks
Yeah, the Ducks really do need to pilfer a couple of their scouts who can draft forwards. The list of forwards drafted by the Ducks outside the top 10 over the past decade has truly been a trail of tears.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, the Ducks really do need to pilfer a couple of their scouts who can draft forwards. The list of forwards drafted by the Ducks outside the top 10 over the past decade has truly been a trail of tears.

We do really bad aiming at high end forwards outside top 10…. We usually do fine getting bottom 6 forwards but it would be nice to hit a top 6 forward in late 1st or 2nd…. Been a while….

Last one I can really recall was Rakell.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Their top-4 scorers this year were all drafted after the first round (Pavelski obviously wasn’t their pick).

But Robertson, Benn, and Hintz were all drafted and developed into PPG+ players with Dallas.

Most teams would hope to get a player that level outside the first round once in a decade or so but Dallas just keeps hitting the jackpot.
They also got a ton of value out of Klingberg in 2010 draft despite passing on Fowler for Jack Campbell

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Because he is not flashy and doesn't put up big numbers but I've seen him enough to feel like Anaheim really needs this type of player on its roster in the coming years.
For me personally, it's not about the numbers. It's about whenever I see him play, he mostly does some weird passes – if they work, it looks fancy, but most of the time it can lead to giving up the puck. When I see him, he is playing without the puck a lot because he cannot force much of any plays offensively - so even if he gets the puck, he gives it up and is forced to play the ''defensive role''. That's the problem.

However, I was partially wrong about McTavish as well, so by no means do I claim to be an expert. Plus, he is having strong playoffs so far numbers-wise, which I'm really happy about, and hope he can maintain it now when the competition level rises (either way, he's second on his team which is a good sign).

Gonna try to catch the Mintyukov game now.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Which is great that the Ducks have landed top forward talents in the past few drafts with Zegras in 2019, McTavish 2021, and top-3 pick for 2023. What we're all forgetting is that the Ducks have been great at drafting defensemen. In almost nothing flat, our blueline prospects pool not only is replenished, but still overfilling despite losing Thrun. We need to keep our scouts who identify defensemen so well. We need more scouts to help us identify better top-6 potential forwards.

2019: Rd 2 LaCombe, Rd 4 Thrun
2020: Rd 1 Drysdale, Rd 3 Moore
2021: Rd 2 Zellweger, Rd 3 Hinds
2022: Rd 1 Minty, Rd 2 Warren, and Rd 2 Luneau

The oddity with the Ducks' prospects are that its defensive prospects mature much faster than its top-6 forward prospects selected outside the top-10. Usually, it's the opposite and defensemen taken the scenic route to the NHL.

If we continue to hit on defensive prospects, then we can do what Murray did - use the defensemen as trade capital to land top-6 forwards. Fortunately, Anaheim should have four of its top-6 secured for 7-10 years with Terry, Z, McTavish, and a 2023 top-3 pick (provided one of them isn't Michkov). Anaheim doesn't have to trade that many defensemen and the team can maintain depth.

I'm still holding out on LW Tracey and RW Perreault, both are still on their ELC's. And then there's Pastujov. Nesternko could also be a sneaking good find.

As for shutdown type forwards, Anaheim is building itself up. Lundy and Jones look like locks. Groulx looks like he's earned another contract from the organization. Lopina could be a 4C. Gaucher and Hvidston are known defensive forwards as well.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Gaucher may not look like the sexy pick, but I definitely appreciate Verbeek has a plan and wants to stick with it. Time will tell whether he was right, but I respect he’s going in a direction and actively building towards that end goal.
Looking at the numbers of guys who were chosen after Nathan, i don't see that we made a mistake...as you said, time will tell. Yes, some guys have slightly better numbers, but that difference is to small to give any conclusion.

Some guys evolve later. Kempe is great example. He looked mediocre, and then suddenly he made a jump from 30 pts to 60-70 pts player.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Looking at the numbers of guys who were chosen after Nathan, i don't see that we made a mistake...as you said, time will tell. Yes, some guys have slightly better numbers, but that difference is to small to give any conclusion.

Some guys evolve later. Kempe is great example. He looked mediocre, and then suddenly he made a jump from 30 pts to 60-70 pts player.

Gaucher has been projected as a shutdown 3C at the NHL level. It feels difficult to see Gaucher being a 60-70 point player at the NHL level during the regular season. In the playoffs, his grit and play in front of the net may play a bigger part for the team.

The two players brought up after Gaucher was selected have had top-6 offensive projections.

CSB Final Rankings for 2022 NHL Draft
NA: 11th, RW 6'1 Snuggerud​
NA: 16th, C 6'4 Gaucher​
EU: 13th, C 6'0 Kulich​

The context missing in your argument that "some guys have slightly better numbers" is league classification.

• The CHL's player range is 16-20 years old. Gaucher plays in this league. He's not a top scorer in his league, ranking tied for 73rd in his sub-CHL league, QMJHL.
  • The NCAA's older players could be 17-24 years old. Snuggerud plays in this league. He's a top-5 scorer in the league as an 18-year old.
  • The AHL has 18-34+ year olds. Kulich is playing in this league as an 18-year old. He ranks 11th as a rookie, but the 10 above him are older or much older - no one in the 2022 draft is ranked above him.

Gaucher is a different type of player compared to Snuggerud and Kulich. Their deployments are also going to be different. Gaucher's primary job is to make sure the other team doesn't score when he's on the ice as well as make them pay a price for being on the ice whenever he's on the ice too.

Reactions: tomd

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I’m so over this WE COULD HAVE PICKED SO AND SO AFTER GAUCHER crap GET OVER IT!!!!!!!! Stop living in the past! Build up gaucher or don’t whine it’s a MOOT POINT

Reactions: SmokeyDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad