Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I really like Michigan's program and their prospects staying an extra year in college.

2021 Draft: Power, Beniers, Johnson, and Hughes all stay two seasons in Michigan. This was Hughes first year at Michigan and he just signed with the Devils in the past week.

Not only is the Michigan program good, but an extra year of body development will always be helpful. The NCAA usually plays on weekends and that allows players to have a set schedule on working out as well as resting. Where was in the CHL, AHL, and NHL, there really isn't any time to workout and rest; it's just play, play, play, and workout in the off-season.

I would like Fantilli to have a better "team game" function and see it displayed at the WJC.

If our AHL was better run, then I'd agree. Helleson just shared that he'd probably do better at the NHL level due to better structure than in the AHL. Helleson has looked better in his short stint in the NHL.

This year in the AHL, we had two rookie assistant coaches (Clarke and Sparre) and placeholder in Sommer. Next year, Sommer is gone and a coach from Germany (Matt McIllvane) will be with San Diego. No idea who will be the head coach, but it's pointing to McIlvane b/c Sparre served under McIlvane years back in Germany.

I'd rather have Fantilli improve his body and continue with a great program at the NCAA for another season than be subjected to an organization that's still trying to feel itself out at both the AHL and NHL level (might have a new coaching staff). That extra year in Michigan should cement great habits and be able to easily transfer that talent.
The criticism of our AHL group is fair, I suppose I would concede to your point if things don’t get better next year but I remain optimistic that the Gulls can perk up and perform significantly better next year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The criticism of our AHL group is fair, I suppose I would concede to your point if things don’t get better next year but I remain optimistic that the Gulls can perk up and perform significantly better next year.

Verbeek didn't do the Gulls any service with supplying support for this year's club. None of our prospects took a significant step forward except Groulx... His scoring is great, but his defense is not so good and he's supposed to be a defensive stopper. Tracey and Perreault have also take steps back.

The Gulls would better because of the influx of prospect talent, not outside talent by the GM.

Defense
- Zellweger
- Hinds
- Mintyukov

Forward
- Pastujov
- Gaucher
- Wiebe
- Nestrenko (could be NHL bound?)

I'm still leery about our coaching staff as Helleson gave a dig to our AHL club, paraphrasing, "I feel I can do better at the NHL level b/c there's more structure up here than in San Diego."

Fantilli can stay with the Michigan program that proven successful for a two-year stay with D Power, C Beniers, D Hughes, and D Johnson. Similarly, Carlsson is in the SHL where the competition is always high (lower competition are relegated to HockeyAllsvenskan). Why take both of them away from their respective programs to be stuck in the AHL, when they could stay a year extra and just make the jump to the NHL, bypassing the AHL non-sense.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I thought this was a fairly well-known thing.

It isn’t necessarily that the Ducks are more structured than the Gulls, but that the NHL is more structured than the AHL. Not only are AHLers less experienced but there’s an incentive to play more as an individual star than a team player to boost your numbers and get a shot at the big club. Also, AHL players as a whole are inherently not as good as NHL players.

Don’t thing it was a dig at the Gulls or their coaching staff.

Reactions: Beckett and Boo Boo

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Honestly he’s saying what all them have to be thinking. I went to a gulls game in Palm Springs and it’s shocking how every player on the ice looked lost. Zero structure.
Perhaps firing Joel Bouchard was premature of Verbeek.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I thought this was a fairly well-known thing.

It isn’t necessarily that the Ducks are more structured than the Gulls, but that the NHL is more structured than the AHL. Not only are AHLers less experienced but there’s an incentive to play more as an individual star than a team player to boost your numbers and get a shot at the big club. Also, AHL players as a whole are inherently not as good as NHL players.

Don’t thing it was a dig at the Gulls or their coaching staff.

I dunno about that.

Eakins and Dineen had structure in the AHL. When we moved to Bouchard last year, it wasn't about structure anymore, but individual skill development. And with Sommer, I have no idea. Sommer was just an interim coach, but he also had two rookie AHL assistant coaches on his wings. It's safe to say that Sommer didn't have any input on those assistant coaches.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I dunno about that.

Eakins and Dineen had structure in the AHL. When we moved to Bouchard last year, it wasn't about structure anymore, but individual skill development. And with Sommer, I have no idea. Sommer was just an interim coach, but he also had two rookie AHL assistant coaches on his wings. It's safe to say that Sommer didn't have any input on those assistant coaches.
The Gulls may be less structured than most AHL teams, but the general sentiment is that the AHL as a whole is less structured than the NHL. Hazy and Ahlers have talked about it on several occasions.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Gulls may be less structured than most AHL teams, but the general sentiment is that the AHL as a whole is less structured than the NHL. Hazy and Ahlers have talked about it on several occasions.

Because it's a development level, for both coaches and players.

I'm talking about the Ducks' org specifically, since Helleson was commentating on the Gulls. Dineen has always used structure with the Ducks' AHL affiliate (Portland and San Diego) as many prospects commentated that the game isn't as steep b/c the NHL and AHL are using the same structure. Eakins also had structure.

San Diego Record History.png

Part of the reason San Diego was bad besides the coaching is the lack of talent support this year. That's all on GM Verbeek. Once we traded for veteran D MDZ, Helleson's game started to improve. Our best defensive blue liner, Andersson, was always hurt.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Because it's a development level, for both coaches and players.

I'm talking about the Ducks' org specifically, since Helleson was commentating on the Gulls. Dineen has always used structure with the Ducks' AHL affiliate (Portland and San Diego) as many prospects commentated that the game isn't as steep b/c the NHL and AHL are using the same structure. Eakins also had structure.

View attachment 688506

Part of the reason San Diego was bad besides the coaching is the lack of talent support this year. That's all on GM Verbeek. Once we traded for veteran D MDZ, Helleson's game started to improve. Our best defensive blue liner, Andersson, was always hurt.
Nothing about the organization this season is "all on Verbeek", the organization is still primarily the remnants of what he inherited. Next season with a PV coaching staff and another influx of players acquired by him and it will start to shift towards being mostly reflective of him

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Nothing about the organization this season is "all on Verbeek", the organization is still primarily the remnants of what he inherited. Next season with a PV coaching staff and another influx of players acquired by him and it will start to shift towards being mostly reflective of him

It is because Verbeek reset the rebuild. There were two ways to go at the TDL: keep the UFAs and continue to add talent from outside the org or reset the rebuild.

Verbeek reset the rebuild b/c he wants talent depth for long playoff runs and to control the cap. Fine, I bought into it at the TDL, but that also means we're going to be crap for awhile. We're doing what Murray did for his rebuild, find plugs and swap around players who needed a new environment. That's how we finished 8th in 2019, 5th in 2020, and 2nd in 2021.

Defense: Vaaks, White, Klingberg, Kulikov, and Beaulieu represents over half of the blue line talents Verbeek has added after losing Lindholm and Manson.

Top-6 Forwards: Added Vatrano and Strome. Both are weak defensively. Strome now has a moniker of "Stroke".

Waiver pickups: Leason and Megna.
Waiver miss: Tolvanen.

PP coach left: Ward
PP coach replacement: none

The remnants of this team is what helped us from being a complete embarrassment this year. Verbeek's replacement players have mostly been a huge dud. Eakins was set up to fail. I was surprised when Eakins was extended last off-season b/c new GM's tend to bring in their own coach.

I'm okay with Eakins getting fired, but I'm not okay with people not accepting the personnel acquisitions were the factors for a failed season. Did I predict we'd be bad if we didn't replace the defensive talents we lost before the season? Yes. Yes, I did.

When LaCombe looks like a top-4D in only his second game in the NHL, then that speaks volumes of the failure of talent acquisition for the blueline.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
QMJHL
Gm 1: Drummondville 3, Sherbrooke 7 ... Hinds with 1a, +2 rating, and 3 hits.
Gm 1: Ryoun-Noranda 0, Gatineau 5 ... Luneau with 1a and +1 rating.
Gm 1: Rimouski 3, Quebec 6 ... Gaucher with 2g, +3 rating, 4 hits, 11/19 in FO, and 2nd star of the game.

OHL
Gm 1: Peterborough 2, Ottawa 4 ... Mintyukov with 0pts, +0, and 3 shots
Gm 1: Saginaw 0, Sarnia 3 ... Pastujov with 1g (EN), +1, and 6 shots

WHL
Gm 1: Portland 4, Kamloops 6 ... Zellweger with 2a, +1, and 3 shots
Gm 1: Prince George 1, Seattle 4 ... Wiebe with 0 pts, +0, 2 shots, and 15/27 in FO

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Hvidston has been named to Team Canada for the upcoming U18 World Championships

A great opportunity to prove himself ahead of the next WJC and just in general. Maybe he'll get to play on a line with a future Ducks teammate in Bedard or Fantilli.
That roster/article is from last year.

Reactions: Vipers31

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That roster/article is from last year.

Lol looks like you're correct. They released this year's roster this morning but that's not it.

Hvidston is too old for the u18s so that should have been my obvious tip off...weekend brain.

Anyway it's chalk full of interesting draft eligible prospects

Reactions: Kalv and Static

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Lol looks like you're correct. They released this year's roster this morning but that's not it.

Hvidston is too old for the u18s so that should have been my obvious tip off...weekend brain.

Anyway it's chalk full of interesting draft eligible prospects
Bedard not being on the team must mean he's playing for the men's team.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ken Campbell stated that you can "take it to the bank" that both Bedard and Fantilli receive WC invites.
Wow nice. I might see a future Duck live in the Worlds in Rīga. Sucks that Sweden doesn't play in this group, could've seen Carlsson as well just to be sure :laugh:

I've tickets to 2 CAN games I think (have to double check)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wow nice. I might see a future Duck live in the Worlds in Rīga. Sucks that Sweden doesn't play in this group, could've seen Carlsson just to be sure :laugh:

I've tickets to 2 CAN games I think (have to double check)

Glad to see Latvia hosting this year, one of the most passionate hockey countries. Enjoy!

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Glad to see Latvia hosting this year, one of the most passionate hockey countries. Enjoy!
Oh it sucks that 2 years ago when we were also hosting, there were no attendance in group stage because of Covid. We won Canada for the first time ever, in the opening game :laugh: fans would've raised the roof :laugh:
Later I sneaked into couple of games, including the gold medal one, saw Rico and Commer to win it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad