Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The part where he turns into Terry.
I don't think anyone is guaranteeing he becomes Terry, but his predraft scouting report, his age/being the youngest in his draft year, his draft position, and how he has developed so quickly is very similar to Terry.

If anything, Hvidson had a WAY more impressive D+1 then Terry did. Terry didn't have that huge jump until his D+2/sophmore season at Denver.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I was banging the Terry comparison long ago, but I don't think it means he will become Terry. It's just they have a fairly similar stories but in different leagues.

Terry is more deceptive whereas Hvidston seems to be using his speed more, and is going to the net. But their slight frames, late b-days, 2-way profile, untapped offense are interesting enough for me, but most of it is just for fun. They're not a copy-paste. But I think Hvid can become mid-6 winger if all goes well

If anything, Hvidson had a WAY more impressive D+1 then Terry did. Terry didn't have that huge jump until his D+2/sophmore season at Denver.
I remember watching Terry in his first year after draft at the end of season and you could tell he was one of our best F prospects but with a long-term vibe. Just unfilled frame and a lack of experience but understanding the game so well and making plays. Much more than just the scoresheet noww shows.
Hvid doesn't scream me at the same level, but I'm really excited about him and think he has mid-6 upside

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't think anyone is guaranteeing he becomes Terry, but his predraft scouting report, his age/being the youngest in his draft year, his draft position, and how he has developed so quickly is very similar to Terry.

What?

Anaheim has had a penchant for later round picks becoming NHLers under Murray/Madden.

2009 Rd 4, D Vatanen
2011 Rd 6, D Manson
2014 Rd 7, RW Kase
2015 Rd 5, RW Terry
2018 Rd 6, D -> F Drew
---------
Potentials
2021 Rd 5, LW Tschigerl
2021 Rd 5, G Alexander
2021 Rd 6, C Kukkonen
2022 Rd 5, C Hvidston (Verbeek/Madden)

Terry and Hvidston are two different types of players. Terry wasn't known for his defense. Hvidston was drafted for his defense and the offense came later. If anything, Hvidston's trajectory is similar to defenseman Hinds, drafted for his defense and gambled on the offense to come.

Here is THW's scouting report on Hvidston: link.

Connor Hvidston – NHL Draft Projection

As I mentioned at the outset, Hvidston is not highly thought of in the prospect community right now. However, considering his polished defensive game, he could get some love in the fourth or fifth round. Peter and I have him going later in the fourth at 125th and 111th respectively, so we will see if an NHL team is on the same wavelength as us when the clock starts again on July 8.

Now, as comparing Hvidston's CHL game to Terry's NCAA game, that isn't comparing apples to apples. This is Hvidston's second season in the CHL in his D+1 season. For Terry, it was his first season in the NCAA for this D+1 season.

I'm ecstatic to see Hvidston's offense come to life this season as he's doing slightly better than first round pick C Gaucher's offense. No one's hyping Gaucher's offense at all. The big swing for forwards in the draft came in the 5th round with Hvidston compared to the safer picks of Rd 1 Gaucher and Rd 4 King. That's all I'm hyped up about. This talk about becoming the next Terry, who is our only line 1 forward at the NHL is a huge jump in projections after just one season.

Reactions: Kalv

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I'm curious if we will hear anything about Sean Tschigerl anytime soon. In his playoff series, he missed a game due to injury and returned to play on the 4th line, so I'm sure he wasn't 100%. Maybe that could be why he hasn't joined San Diego yet. It could also very well be that PV doesn't plan on retaining him.

Reactions: Static

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
I'm curious if we will hear anything about Sean Tschigerl anytime soon. In his playoff series, he missed a game due to injury and returned to play on the 4th line, so I'm sure he wasn't 100%. Maybe that could be why he hasn't joined San Diego yet. It could also very well be that PV doesn't plan on retaining him.
That would be surprising if we don’t. He’s been to all the development camps so far

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
QMJHL announces its 2023 Golden Puck Awards finalists

Guy-Carbonneau Trophy – Best defensive forward – April 21

• Zachary Dean – Gatineau
  • Nathan Gaucher – Quebec
  • Milo Roelens – Sherbrooke
Kevin-Lowe Memorial Trophy – Best defensive defenseman – April 26

• Tyson Hinds – Sherbrooke
  • Pier-Olivier Roy – Victoriaville
  • Nicolas Savoie – Quebec
Émile-Bouchard Trophy – Defenseman of the Year – April 27

• Frédéric Brunet – Victoriaville
  • Tristan Luneau – Gatineau

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
QMJHL announces its 2023 Golden Puck Awards finalists

Guy-Carbonneau Trophy – Best defensive forward – April 21

• Zachary Dean – Gatineau
  • Nathan Gaucher – Quebec
  • Milo Roelens – Sherbrooke
Kevin-Lowe Memorial Trophy – Best defensive defenseman – April 26

• Pier-Olivier Roy – Victoriaville
  • Nicolas Savoie – Quebec
Émile-Bouchard Trophy – Defenseman of the Year – April 27

• Frédéric Brunet – Victoriaville
  • Tristan Luneau – Gatineau
Had to look up who was Brunet. Looks like the Bruins found a steal… another 5th rounder with size and a late birthday.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
They could use another shutdown forward since Gaucher is moving on. It's always good to already be on the radar.

Almost the entire forward core will be new. Owen Beck (a late addition as an injury replacement) is the only forward safely assumed to return and even he could possibly make the Habs. The only other two eligible are Bedard and Fantilli, and it's highly doubtful they will be there.

12 or 13 new forwards will suit up for team Canada in the upcoming WJC. I really think Hvidston fits the mold of how they like to fill out their bottom six based on recent years. Big body nineteen year olds who can skate, play the defensive game and bring some edge. I think he'll be firmly in that conversation.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Almost the entire forward core will be new. Owen Beck (a late addition as an injury replacement) is the only forward safely assumed to return and even he could possibly make the Habs. The only other two eligible are Bedard and Fantilli, and it's highly doubtful they will be there.

12 or 13 new forwards will suit up for team Canada in the upcoming WJC. I really think Hvidston fits the mold of how they like to fill out their bottom six based on recent years. Big body nineteen year olds who can skate, play the defensive game and bring some edge. I think he'll be firmly in that conversation.
I could see Fantilli returning.

I understand the appeal of getting him to the NHL right away, but I just think it is basically never worth the risk. Especially for a team like the Ducks that is going to suck again next year.

Look at top 4 picks that have busted or been disappointing recently:
Kotkaniemi: Straight to the NHL
Dach: Straight to the NHL
Kakko: Straight to the NHL
Lafreniere: Straight to the NHL
Byfield: Straight to the NHL
Slavfkovsky: Straight to the NHL

Now obviously not all of those guys are busts, and some are just too early. But I don't think it's a coincidence that a draft like 2021 that was considered a "bad" top of the draft have all had amazing D+2 seasons. All 4 of them went back to college/CHL for their D+1.

If the Ducks get Fantilli I hope he stays for his sophomore year or goes to the AHL and then is the guy for a WJC.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I understand the appeal of getting him to the NHL right away, but I just think it is basically never worth the risk. Especially for a team like the Ducks that is going to suck again next year.

Now obviously not all of those guys are busts, and some are just too early. But I don't think it's a coincidence that a draft like 2021 that was considered a "bad" top of the draft have all had amazing D+2 seasons. All 4 of them went back to college/CHL for their D+1.

If the Ducks get Fantilli I hope he stays for his sophomore year or goes to the AHL and then is the guy for a WJC.

There's nothing left for Fantilli to prove at the college level. He was pushing on two points per game this season and is already the top player in the country as a freshman. The only way I see him possibly ending up back there, would be if he chooses to do so.

If you put this version of Fantilli, in the same draft class as any of the six you just mentioned, I'm pretty confident he gets picked ahead of any of them. He's on the tier where they usually go first or second overall and make the NHL right away. I could dig up my post where I went year by year, but you can make a case for him being the best prospect in a lot of recent draft classes. I don't think it even would have been close last year. Eichel, MacKinnon, Svechnikov are more the type of comparables he belongs with at this point.

He's about as pro ready as you're going to get straight out of the draft. Have to remember he's a late bday so he's going to be the same age this upcoming season as McT was this year, or JD was last year. Turns 19 very shortly after the start of the upcoming season (Oct 12th).

The only way I see him going to the WJC, would be if he happens to really struggle early in the NHL season, and has been sent to the AHL by that time.

Anyway, my point was mostly that there's a wide open opportunity for Hvidston to crack that WJC roster. There aren't many if any forwards returning.

Reactions: goonsaredumb

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I could dig up my post where I went year by year, but you can make a case for him being the best prospect in a lot of recent draft classes.
Agreed, I think based purely on how they were rated as prospects coming into the draft he would've gone first in 2017, 2018, Toss-up in 2019 but I'd still lean with Fantilli over Hughes because NCAA vs. USHL and the size advantage GMs love, 2020, 2021 and 2022

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Agreed, I think based purely on how they were rated as prospects coming into the draft he would've gone first in 2017, 2018, Toss-up in 2019 but I'd still lean with Fantilli over Hughes because NCAA vs. USHL and the size advantage GMs love, 2020, 2021 and 2022
Yeah that was basically my take on the Hughes draft. Probably would have made for an interesting race that year but I think Fantilli's physical traits and dominance of a higher level league, would have ultimately won out.

But even Hughes steps right into the league the next season as a peewee size 18 year old to play for a crappy team, straight from the NTDP. Fantilli having already dominated college hockey and being a year further along (plus just way more physically ready) - I'll be surprised if he's not in the show next season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I really like Michigan's program and their prospects staying an extra year in college.

2021 Draft: Power, Beniers, Johnson, and Hughes all stay two seasons in Michigan. This was Hughes first year at Michigan and he just signed with the Devils in the past week.

Not only is the Michigan program good, but an extra year of body development will always be helpful. The NCAA usually plays on weekends and that allows players to have a set schedule on working out as well as resting. Where was in the CHL, AHL, and NHL, there really isn't any time to workout and rest; it's just play, play, play, and workout in the off-season.

I would like Fantilli to have a better "team game" function and see it displayed at the WJC.

Fantilli should at least go to the AHL, he torched the NCAA already.

If our AHL was better run, then I'd agree. Helleson just shared that he'd probably do better at the NHL level due to better structure than in the AHL. Helleson has looked better in his short stint in the NHL.

This year in the AHL, we had two rookie assistant coaches (Clarke and Sparre) and placeholder in Sommer. Next year, Sommer is gone and a coach from Germany (Matt McIllvane) will be with San Diego. No idea who will be the head coach, but it's pointing to McIlvane b/c Sparre served under McIlvane years back in Germany.

I'd rather have Fantilli improve his body and continue with a great program at the NCAA for another season than be subjected to an organization that's still trying to feel itself out at both the AHL and NHL level (might have a new coaching staff). That extra year in Michigan should cement great habits and be able to easily transfer that talent.

Reactions: Beckett
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad