Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
LaCombe closed on his guy well along the boards, but a forward, #24, didn't rotate when #4 (LaCombe's partner) pinched up in the neutral zone.

Apparently, that cross-ice play was a set play that the Bobcats practiced all season long. Sucks for Minny to blow it.

Welp, LaCombe should be coming over. Maybe he can come over tomorrow night since Verbeek isn't interested in bringing up a D for his NHL club.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Just watched that winning goal. Lacombe nonchalant with no stick pressure. Or is that just me?

There's definitely some Theo in his game as far as being nonchalant. He seems soft whenever I see him play.

The Minnesota goalie was terrible though. If he knew how to use his stick Minnesota wins this game 2-0.

Edit: Watching the OT replay a few times that was a mistake on multiple fronts. #4 was too aggressive on the wall. Lacombe was too aggressive coming all the way across from his side of the ice to cover. He should have positioned himself more in the middle to force a shot from outside the slot at the very least. Obviously the forward should have also recognized the LD's error and gotten back to help too.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
LaCombe closed on his guy well along the boards, but a forward, #24, didn't rotate when #4 (LaCombe's partner) pinched up in the neutral zone.

Apparently, that cross-ice play was a set play that the Bobcats practiced all season long. Sucks for Minny to blow it.

Welp, LaCombe should be coming over. Maybe he can come over tomorrow night since Verbeek isn't interested in bringing up a D for his NHL club.

I think Helleson is coming up tomorrow.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There's definitely some Theo in his game as far as being nonchalant. He seems soft whenever I see him play.

The Minnesota goalie was terrible though. If he knew how to use his stick Minnesota wins this game 2-0.

Edit: Watching the OT replay a few times that was a mistake on multiple fronts. #4 was too aggressive on the wall. Lacombe was too aggressive coming all the way across from his side of the ice to cover. He should have positioned himself more in the middle to force a shot from outside the slot at the very least. Obviously the forward should have also recognized the LD's error and gotten back to help too.
It seemed pretty bang bang…. Id imagine lacombe didn’t realize that guy was wide open on far side…. And there was really no reason for him to be that open… other than mistakes in rotations and just a good set play/coaching by quinnapiac

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Was going to say the same thing, again I think Lacombe was too nonchalant with his stick pressure and should've closed off that pass better. However, that was a perfect ridiculous backhand saucer pass.
Ya I mean if lacombe was a legit shutdown guy like faber maybe I expect him to play that better…. But for what I expect from his game I don’t think he did much wrong.

Credit to quinnipiac for having those set plays locked in, for key moments.

A lot more went wrong on that play than lacombe not being all world defensively.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It seemed pretty bang bang…. Id imagine lacombe didn’t realize that guy was wide open on far side…. And there was really no reason for him to be that open… other than mistakes in rotations and just a good set play/coaching by quinnapiac

If the rotational forward was in the right place, then the pass would be a nothing pass that should have been easily thwarted.

#4 plays left side, #2 LaCombe plays the right side. When the faceoff was lost by Minny, #4 pinched up the neutral zone (or rather suckered into it by design as stated by Quinnipiac). LaCombe raced over from the right side to the left side to defend. The gap was closed fast. Unfortunately, an unexpected cross-ice pass happened. You see #24 from Minny enter the picture late and it was a great score for Quinnipiac.

Again, this was a set play Quinnipiac utilized all season long. They know a cross-ice pass could work and expected a late rotation. It worked. Game over.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Choking on an elimination game, and not working hard enough on defense… well done Beavis, that’s exactly our teams MO. It will be a very smooth transition to our organization to develop before breaking out after joining a winner after free agency in 5 years.

Sorry, drunk and ornery now haha. But it must suck coming back on a 4rth season with other high profile players only to not finish the goal yet again. But I got that sense and didn’t think they had a good goalie, and the other team had a bunch of overagers.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Thanks all for the reports. Sucks that he didn't got the championship but well, next chapter for him starts

SingDomestica

Jul 10, 2008
SoCal
Disclaimer that this was the only game I’ve watch him play but overall feeling was underwhelming, especially given this was a championship game. He let the plays come to him and allowed the opponent to dictate what goes on and never skated to the puck, kind of how Ducks play right now, which is quite frustrating. There appeared to be a lack of engagement and never really saw him skate out with the puck either, so difficult to assess his play as puck moving defensemen. He did have a pretty good shot with a quick release from the point so will need to work around that. Overall, again as was said: underwhelming.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Choking on an elimination game, and not working hard enough on defense… well done Beavis, that’s exactly our teams MO. It will be a very smooth transition to our organization to develop before breaking out after joining a winner after free agency in 5 years.

Sorry, drunk and ornery now haha. But it must suck coming back on a 4rth season with other high profile players only to not finish the goal yet again. But I got that sense and didn’t think they had a good goalie, and the other team had a bunch of overagers.

Minny turtled in the 3rd period instead of keeping pushing the pace on Quinnipiac. The game changer was the one-sided penalty on Cooley for high sticking when the Quinnipiac defender was holding onto Cooley's stick to look like a high stick. The ref intervening like that changed the dynamic of the game. Although Quinnipiac scored at EV, they were on a 6-on-4 PP as the PP expired and they scored seconds after that.

Credit to Quinnipiac for having a game plan at the start of OT. It's a beautiful setup with a decoy at the middle of the ice, along the boards (drawing in a LD) with two crisscrossing forwards. RD LaCombe rotated to cover the LD side fast, but forward Nelson (#24) didn't rotate. Nelson puck watched than find his assignment - where have we heard that before? If you watch from the start of the faceoff, you see #24 puck watching at center ice instead of tagging a player. Again, that setup by Quinnipiac was beautiful and banked upon the opponent not rotating/recognizing fast enough.

As for LaCombe, I thought he had a good game. Too bad their goalie was porous with pucks in the crease twice in regulation. Intermission analysts all stated the goal allowed was all on the Minny's goalie's fault for not stopping the puck crossing the crease. The goalie let it happen again for the game-tying goal. The game winner wasn't his fault. Box score shows LaCombe with a -2 rating.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He hasn't signed yet? Screw him, he's probably going UFA.....the world is ending Duck fans probably

I just saw on the Minny website that D Faber has already signed with the Wild. Guess Verbeek is taking his time. LaCombe did commit to signing with the Ducks, though. From Freidman's 32 thoughts:

15. 2023 Hobey Baker nominee Jackson LaCombe from the University of Minnesota has indicated he will sign with Anaheim after this season. One of the NCAA’s top-scoring defenders, LaCombe — taken 39th overall in 2019 — could have become a free agent this summer. There would have been plenty of interest. That’s a good keep for the Ducks.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Good news

received_281134470909890.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad