Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Final stat lines for our goalies

1681675107491.png

Reactions: Static and lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He is not as dominant on a structured team, so I just feel he might have more to learn there. But I don't have any deeper analysis so take it with a grain of salt :laugh:
Well he’s deployed a lot differently in ott than he was with the spirit…. When he was on the spirit he was basically a 4th forward.

San Diego should be the play for him

Reactions: Kalv and Static

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I don’t think we need to differentiate between “offensive” and “defensive” defensemen. Ducks need better defensemen. If so called offensive defensemen move the puck out of the zone efficiently and keep the puck in the opponents zone, that is just as effective (maybe more) than the “responsible” guys that just stay at home.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I dunno. He lost a year to COVID, like many other OHLers who couldn't go anywhere else to play.
Pre or post covid the list of 1st rounders who play an overage season is very very short. That is just a fact. If you are arguing that Mintyukov should play in juniors again next season then I disagree.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
This makes no sense whatsoever. Do or die time for Helleson? After one professional season?

Playing college hockey is very different than the AHL. Send both down.
Not do or die for his career but more do or die to show flashes of being an impact player.

He’s had 82 games and reports have been underwhelming at best in the AHL after being a good to very good NCAA player.

With the influx of young (and better) talent arriving in San Diego, I think it’s absolutely do or die for him to show that he can hang with them or get passed up.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
King might be one of the more effective forwards that we add to SD over the summer.

I wonder if he signs outright with San Diego or earns an ELC with the Ducks? If we don't sign him, then we still own his rights for another season. According to CapFriendly, King must be signed by Jun 1, 2024. Here's a good write up on King from The Hockey Writers: link.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pre or post covid the list of 1st rounders who play an overage season is very very short. That is just a fact. If you are arguing that Mintyukov should play in juniors again next season then I disagree.

I'm identifying that Minty lost a year of development due to COVID, like most other OHLers since they were the only CHL league not to open back up.

Now, if you continued to read on in this thread, which you did not, then you'd see that I'm not in any rush to put Minty into the NHL next season. But thank you for mind reading incorrectly and insinuating an idea I never introduced.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm identifying that Minty lost a year of development due to COVID, like most other OHLers since they were the only CHL league not to open back up.

Now, if you continued to read on in this thread, which you did not, then you'd see that I'm not in any rush to put Minty into the NHL next season. But thank you for mind reading incorrectly and insinuating an idea I never introduced.
I'll just say about the lost year that Mintyukov has now played two full seasons in junior after the shutdown. I don't see the lost year as an issue anymore for anyone. As for where he should play next year, there is this wonderful alternative between junior and the NHL called the AHL. That's exactly where I expect him to start next year and I assume you agree.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I don’t think we need to differentiate between “offensive” and “defensive” defensemen. Ducks need better defensemen. If so called offensive defensemen move the puck out of the zone efficiently and keep the puck in the opponents zone, that is just as effective (maybe more) than the “responsible” guys that just stay at home.
I do think it's important to identify specialties, and while these terms are maybe too universal, there's a major consideration that should be taken, given basic assumptions.

Yes, "the best defense is a good offense" can apply here and that's sort of what you're using. When they gain possession, can the d-man control the puck and either skate or pass it out of the zone effectively? That transition is a core trait of a good offensive defenseman. If talking about Ducks prospects, from what has been observed, we can use Z and Minty as examples of this.

However, how good are they when they don't have possession? How do they pressure and prevent chances? Are they able to use body size/strength to push opposing players out of the crease & off the puck, or to win board battles? Or do they have to rely on good stickwork, prediction, etc.? What I think we would hope for from a "defensive" defenseman (or 2-way) is that they are well-rounded here to just prevent opportunities overall, and that does include a physical element from a player that is relentless, has size, or can use physicality in other ways that someone small like Zell wouldn't be able to.

And yes, the Ducks just need better defensemen overall. But while it might be fun to have a player like EK, he is the epitome of an offensive defenseman. More goals and production is great, but I'm pretty sure at this point the team would benefit from someone that isn't a black hole in their own end.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I do think it's important to identify specialties, and while these terms are maybe too universal, there's a major consideration that should be taken, given basic assumptions.

Yes, "the best defense is a good offense" can apply here and that's sort of what you're using. When they gain possession, can the d-man control the puck and either skate or pass it out of the zone effectively? That transition is a core trait of a good offensive defenseman. If talking about Ducks prospects, from what has been observed, we can use Z and Minty as examples of this.

However, how good are they when they don't have possession? How do they pressure and prevent chances? Are they able to use body size/strength to push opposing players out of the crease & off the puck, or to win board battles? Or do they have to rely on good stickwork, prediction, etc.? What I think we would hope for from a "defensive" defenseman (or 2-way) is that they are well-rounded here to just prevent opportunities overall, and that does include a physical element from a player that is relentless, has size, or can use physicality in other ways that someone small like Zell wouldn't be able to.

And yes, the Ducks just need better defensemen overall. But while it might be fun to have a player like EK, he is the epitome of an offensive defenseman. More goals and production is great, but I'm pretty sure at this point the team would benefit from someone that isn't a black hole in their own end.
You make some very good points, maybe I'm just sick and tired of the Eakins "rope a dope" style of defending where the Ducks would just turtle in their own zone. When you are consistently allowing 40+ shots against that's not just bad defense. It's also terrible offense because you can't break out or sustain possession in the offensive zone. Guys like Makar, Fox, Josi don't have to be great in their own zone because the puck is rarely there. My dream is that with skilled puck movers on our back end (Mintukov, Zellweger, Luneau) the Ducks can begin to dominate possession and shot numbers. So when I read posts about our prospects that "this guy isn't ready because of his defense" but when I watch him play he's normally not stuck in his own zone because he passes or skates the puck out, I want to say "the best way to protect your net is to have the puck on the other end of the ice."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad