Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Just realized Luneau will be back in the CHL next year. He is going to dominate. Hopefully he works on his skating even more. I feel like the biggest reason for his jump this year is how much better his skating got from his draft year.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just realized Luneau will be back in the CHL next year. He is going to dominate. Hopefully he works on his skating even more. I feel like the biggest reason for his jump this year is how much better his skating got from his draft year.
That goal last night shows how good he is. Obviously, that defense was very generous toward him :laugh: but he really took it upon himself. And he has looked similar in the other games I've seen this year from him. If you give him even a bit of space, he can punish you like this, take the puck and skate it to a better position to either shoot or pass. I think I haven't even realized how good he is. As @Static said, he's probably playing on the best team in the CHL and he is, in my viewing, their most spectacular player. He led them in scoring but to be fair to some forwards, they missed games, so have to look at PPG. But Luneau can straight-up take over shifts like I have not seen their forwards do.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006

I don`t think that skating is much of a concern with him.
I think that he needs to work more on his overall physical strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beckett

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I don`t think that skating is much of a concern with him.
Here he is on the fly yesterday.

Yup, I just think that is a hard skill he can improve even more against lower competition in the CHL. He obviously has the tools and toolbox to be a legit top 4 guy but if he can take that last step with his size and other skills I think he moves into possible top pairing guy.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Sounds good but what's the scale? I mean...is he close to a perfect player, given he's basically 100 in every category? I have a tough time buying that.
It's Percentile based, so based on the statistics of every player in the CHL, he's in the 99th percentile for Offense, 98th percentile for Transitional play, and 100th percentile for Defense, I think 100th percentile is technically impossible but it just means he's the #1 in their data set for that category

Also worth noting he only tracked 10 games for Mintyukov so it's definitely going to be far from perfect, I'm sure the numbers would be lower if he tracked the full season

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Luneau had an A rating (first round rating) by Central scouting to start his draft year, which is based upon his D-1 season. Just how good was Luneau in his D-1 year? Here's a snippet from the Athletic article on him:

Together, they [his family] helped him on his way to being the No. 1 pick in the 2020 QMJHL Entry Draft and wearing an alternate captain’s “A” with Team Canada at the 2020 Youth Olympics.
In 2020-21, the drive and determination they all instilled in him combined with his father’s smarts and his mother’s teachings helped him step right into the Gatineau Olympiques’ lineup and immediately become a top defenceman in the QMJHL. He posted 18 points in 31 games, logging big minutes in the COVID-19 shortened year, and adding another bit of hardware — the QMJHL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year Award — to his growing list of accolades.

Between his D-1 and D+0 season, Luneau had knee surgery that interrupted his off-season and early season with Gatineau.

Central Scouting Rankings, 2022
Pre-season: A rating (1st round)​
Midterm: 10th overall for NA skaters​
Final: 24th overall for NA skaters​

Luneau lost his initial burst and didn't have confidence to start his season after his surgery. Anaheim took the gamble on Luneau's knee would recover with its second 2nd round pick, the 53rd selection. Teams who had two second round picks before the Ducks second 2nd round pick: San Jose with 34 and 45, Seattle 35 and 49, Arizona 36 and 43, as well as Detroit 40 and 52.

Luneau is getting back to his D+0 projections. Next year, hopefully, he's got enough confidence to keep pushing on that knee after a year's worth of experience on it. Regaining that burst can make a huge different in his play on the ice.

Reactions: Beckett

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

His follow up tweet is also interesting, that Mintyukov's offensive metrics trended upward after the trade even though his point totals slowed down. I've watched like 3 67s games since the trade so I'm not claiming to have perfect knowledge here but that tracks with my eye test, where even though he's not racking up points he has still been Ottawa's best player by a lot in a

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Sounds good but what's the scale? I mean...is he close to a perfect player, given he's basically 100 in every category? I have a tough time buying that.

Agreed, especially when Verbeek denoted how both Minty and Zell needed to work on defensive structures because what they're doing at the CHL level won't cut it at the NHL level.

Scale ratings like that give the impression that both Minty and Zell should make the NHL jump next season, which I don't agree with. Drysdale still hasn't acclimated completely at the NHL level and he's had a season and quarter's worth of NHL experience. Drysdale is also the better defensemen between the three OFD's.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Gaucher with his 5th goal of the playoffs

His net-front presence is so good, I think it will be one of the best elements he brings to the team outside of the obvious physical and defensive stuff that he excels at, every single part of his game is something the Ducks need badly, every single time I see a clip of him I see more and more to get excited about

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Luneau’s Gatineau team sweeps their 2nd round series. So far, they are 8-1 in the playoffs and have outscored their opponents 53-9.

However, now they finally have a difficult test as they will be playing against Hinds’ Sherbrooke team, who is 8-0 and have outscored their opponents 46-14.

In the other conference, Gaucher’s Quebec team is 8-0 and have outscored their opponents 39-13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad