Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Seeing a good amount of positive (but anecdotal) chatter about Clang, which is great to see.

The more off-the-board prospect I feel really excited about is Warren. Think he'll become an important part of our D eventually, maybe even letting Zellweger slide back into the left side.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Seeing a good amount of positive (but anecdotal) chatter about Clang, which is great to see.

The more off-the-board prospect I feel really excited about is Warren. Think he'll become an important part of our D eventually, maybe even letting Zellweger slide back into the left side.
Warren has exciting physical tools with his speed, size and reach.
Bigger and Faster than Manson.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
The Ducks will give Warren every chance to succeed. They have no one else with his size in the system and they clearly were looking for a large defenseman when they drafted him. He is a project and I expect that he will need at least two years in the AHL, if not more, before he is ready for the NHL.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Ducks will give Warren every chance to succeed. They have no one else with his size in the system and they clearly were looking for a large defenseman when they drafted him. He is a project and I expect that he will need at least two years in the AHL, if not more, before he is ready for the NHL.

All the defensive D (DFD) in the draft got pushed up. 6'5 LD Bichsel (18th), 6'4 LD Pickering (31st) and 6'7 RD Lamoureux (29th) all went in the first round. In the 2nd round, there were only two DFD's left with good potential in RD Chesley (37th) and RD Warren (42nd). I don't know if size had anything to do with it, but availability of DFD was.

With that said, Warren was one of the DFD's I wanted in the 2nd round. I didn't expect it to be our first second round pick, but much needed since he was the last DFD. Like you stated, Warren is a project, but height in defensemen rose in this past draft.

We do have a couple of big DFD's in LD Thrun (6'2 and 205 lbs, iirc) and LD Hinds (6'3 and 178 lbs at the draft), but Warren is massive at 6'5 and 225 lbs. We also drafted RD Will Francis in the 6th round of the 2019 draft, who's 6'5 and 207 lbs at the draft. He's been battling Leukemia for the past two and a half years, though.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
After watching the WJC, as someone who voted for Minty #2 in the prospect ranking, it’s pretty difficult to not have Zellweger ahead of him now. Not only did he dominate but he also looks like he grew a good amount height wise and is super stalky. If not for Verbeek’s comments about wanting to overdevelop prospects, I’d think he would have a chance to make the team. I think he still might get 9 games

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
After watching the WJC, as someone who voted for Minty in the prospect ranking, it’s pretty difficult to not have Zellweger ahead of him now. Not only did he dominate but he also looks like he grew a good amount height wise and is super stalky. If not for Verbeek’s comments about wanting to overdevelop prospects, I’d think he would have a chance to make the team. I think he still might get 9 games
They are very close to me at this point.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
After watching the WJC, as someone who voted for Minty #2 in the prospect ranking, it’s pretty difficult to not have Zellweger ahead of him now. Not only did he dominate but he also looks like he grew a good amount height wise and is super stalky. If not for Verbeek’s comments about wanting to overdevelop prospects, I’d think he would have a chance to make the team. I think he still might get 9 games
Unfortunately we dont get to see Mintyukov at WJs.

I still take Mintyukov over Zellweger... Its unfortunate both will likely be in juniors this year.... cuase i think both would be better suited for AHL time, tho i could see 1 of them getting 9 games with big club

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Some questionable rankings

Clang at 9, but dostal at 14
Perreault at 16, groulx/pastujov/colangelo

Has thrun/Tracey basically as honorable mentions

Gaucher at 5

Helleson above Mintyukov

But hey if helleson + clang end up as a starter + top 4 dmen…. Those deadline trades start to look genius

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Clang at 9, but dostal at 14
Perreault at 16, groulx/pastujov/colangelo

Has thrun/Tracey basically as honorable mentions

Gaucher at 5

Helleson above Mintyukov

But hey if helleson + clang end up as a starter + top 4 dmen…. Those deadline trades start to look genius

I'm not sure how much thought he puts into ranking each teams prospects, but yeah some weird orders. One of the things I don't like about Pronman is he seems stubborn with pre-draft thoughts. He's always thought lower of Dostal. I don't think he loved the Mintyukov pick last draft, but I remember he loved the Gaucher pick. He is a lot higher on Helleson than most of our board, but I kind of agree with him there. I don't think he's a better prospect than Minty, but I do have him behind Zellweger and Minty fairly easily.

Also, somewhat unrelated, NHL network lists our top 5 prospects as:
McTavish
Zellweger
Mintyukov
Dostal
Perreault

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not sure how much thought he puts into ranking each teams prospects, but yeah some weird orders. One of the things I don't like about Pronman is he seems stubborn with pre-draft thoughts. He's always thought lower of Dostal. I don't think he loved the Mintyukov pick last draft, but I remember he loved the Gaucher pick. He is a lot higher on Helleson than most of our board, but I kind of agree with him there. I don't think he's a better prospect than Minty, but I do have him behind Zellweger and Minty fairly easily.

Also, somewhat unrelated, NHL network lists our top 5 prospects as:
McTavish
Zellweger
Mintyukov
Dostal
Perreault
Helleson is a tough 1

I have Minyukov luneau and zellweger above him

He’s with lacombe, thrun.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

To say the least...

Here's the list:

1. Zegras
2. McTavish
3. Drysdale
4. Zellweger
5. Gaucher
6. Helleson
7. Lundestrom
8. Mintyukov
9. Clang
10. Groulx
11. Luneau
12. LaCombe
13. Colangelo
14. Dostal
15. Pastujov
16. Perreault
17. Hinds
18. McLaughlin
19. Moore
20. Nickl
21. Sundsvik
22. Thrun
23. Tracey
24. Warren

Also of note, Zegras now has "high-end" puck skills. Meanwhile, Drysdale's compete is listed as average...:huh:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To say the least...

Here's the list:

1. Zegras
2. McTavish
3. Drysdale
4. Zellweger
5. Gaucher
6. Helleson
7. Lundestrom
8. Mintyukov
9. Clang
10. Groulx
11. Luneau
12. LaCombe
13. Colangelo
14. Dostal
15. Pastujov
16. Perreault
17. Hinds
18. McLaughlin
19. Moore
20. Nickl
21. Sundsvik
22. Thrun
23. Tracey
24. Warren

Also of note, Zegras now has "high-end" puck skills. Meanwhile, Drysdale's compete is listed as average...:huh:
To be fair 17-24 is just alphabetical order…. Not actual rankings just honorable mentions

Tshigerl + Alexander + lopina + galimov didn’t make our top 25 . Not bad

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
To be fair 17-24 is just alphabetical order…. Not actual rankings just honorable mentions

Tshigerl + Alexander + lopina + galimov didn’t make our top 25 . Not bad
Andersson wasn't also mentioned, but Nickl was. hmmm?

As for skating descriptions that I disagree with

Lundy is an average NHL skater.​
--> He has above average NHL staking.​
LaCombe is an average NHL skater.​
--> He has above average NHL skating. (Pronman has Zellweger with above average NHL skating.)​
Perreault is a below NHL skater.​
--> He has above average NHL skating, but doesn't use it. Draft Dynasty showed this.​

Dostal being ranked below Calle is a complete head scratcher.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
To say the least...

Here's the list:

1. Zegras
2. McTavish
3. Drysdale
4. Zellweger
5. Gaucher
6. Helleson
7. Lundestrom
8. Mintyukov
9. Clang
10. Groulx
11. Luneau
12. LaCombe
13. Colangelo
14. Dostal
15. Pastujov
16. Perreault
17. Hinds
18. McLaughlin
19. Moore
20. Nickl
21. Sundsvik
22. Thrun
23. Tracey
24. Warren

I had a chuckle when I read the article. He finally changes Zegras’s puck skills to high end but his skating is still listed as below average….

Reading other teams articles his opinions were just as outdated/questionable. Lundell ranks as average or below average in every category yet projects to be a top of the lineup player. Dahlin apparently doesn’t have the compete level or physicality to be good defensively. Yet whenever I watched Dahlin last season he was throwing dirty cross checks and had really upped his physical game.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
To say the least...

Here's the list:

1. Zegras
2. McTavish
3. Drysdale
4. Zellweger
5. Gaucher
6. Helleson
7. Lundestrom
8. Mintyukov
9. Clang
10. Groulx
11. Luneau
12. LaCombe
13. Colangelo
14. Dostal
15. Pastujov
16. Perreault
17. Hinds
18. McLaughlin
19. Moore
20. Nickl
21. Sundsvik
22. Thrun
23. Tracey
24. Warren

When I read this list earlier today, I was scratching my head. I think this list is all about projection as in if the player reaches their ceiling, but even then there are some head scratchers on this list. Gaucher at 5, Helleson at 6, Clang at 9, Groulx at 10? He's very optimistic on them.

#4 ranking I thought was fair. Buffalo's is just ridiculous, so deep and talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad