Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Your thoughts of Calle Clang
( any nicknames yet?" CCTop? The ringer, Clang ,Clangman. Duck, Ducky, (Kalle Anka is Donald Duck in sweden but Duck also meens get out of the way, maby not the best name for a goalie ).

Any chance for him taking a spot this year?
I like his potential… I think it was a pretty underrated addition at the deadline.

No chance takes a nhl spot…. We have gibson + stolarz and dostal is definitely next in line.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Ya my 14 would be a bit different, not sure Warren makes it at this time, def have gaucher over tshigerl, colangelo, and lacombe tho

I consider putting Mintyukov at #1…. I think he’s pretty underrated prospect league wide, not sure why he didn’t recieve a lot more love at the draft.
Interesting that a lot of you guys are ranking Minty and Dostal ahead of Zellweger. Outside of your forum he seems like a can't miss guy, I'm surprised people are ranking Mint ahead of him. Have you guys done a prospect ranking? Is Mintyukov>Zellweger a common opinion among Ducks fans?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Interesting that a lot of you guys are ranking Minty and Dostal ahead of Zellweger. Outside of your forum he seems like a can't miss guy, I'm surprised people are ranking Mint ahead of him. Have you guys done a prospect ranking? Is Mintyukov>Zellweger a common opinion among Ducks fans?
I don't have Dostal ahead of Zellweger. Goalies are fickle.

McTavish
Mintyukov
Zellweger

Dostal
etc.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Mintyukov was really underrated at predraft/draft day…. Watching him he looks like a stud…. He played on a shit team but put up great numbers. Not sure why he really flew so far under the radar predraft, but I thought he was as good as or close to being as good as jiricek and nemec.

Nothing against zellweger, who I think is great too…. But zellweger is a guy they won’t really get a ton of love until he proves it at a pro level…. I don’t have any doubt he’ll end up a solid nhl player tho, he’s built like a bowling ball and you just can’t teach his offensive instincts + skating

Idk if it’s common yet as far as Mintyukov > zellweger, we don’t do our draft ranking until later this week.

My personal rank of top 5 is prob
Mintyukov
Mctavish
Dostal
Zellweger
Perreault

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

I have Mintyukov ahead of Zellweger and find myself having to talk myself down from having him over McTavish, his raw upside is nuts. Zellweger is super talented but as we all saw with Drysdale this year undersized defenders can just struggle with the physicality of the game, and honestly until I see him actually play in the NHL and see how he adjusts I will have those concerns.

Dostal is just very underrated league wide imo. One of the best goaltending prospects in hockey.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

I'd put Minty and Zellweger on the same level, Dostal just behind.

IMO Zellweger has only impressed me more since he was drafted, and he does seem good enough to compensate for his size. I'll have to see more of Minty before I can pass judgement.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I have Mintyukov ahead of Zellweger and find myself having to talk myself down from having him over McTavish, his raw upside is nuts. Zellweger is super talented but as we all saw with Drysdale this year undersized defenders can just struggle with the physicality of the game, and honestly until I see him actually play in the NHL and see how he adjusts I will have those concerns.

Dostal is just very underrated league wide imo. One of the best goaltending prospects in hockey.
Zellweger could pick Drysdale up but yeah he is vertically challenged.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

That's a bit of an unfair assessment of Drysdale. If it wasn't for COVID, Drysdale would have been in the OHL for the past two seasons as Drysdale just turned 20 years old in April. And to put some perspectives to this, fellow 2020 first round draftee Perreault has notched only one NHL game compared to Drysdale playing a full season in the NHL last year. Perreault has almost 20 pounds more than Drysdale, despite being the same height. Drysdale's talent really pushes him up tremendously as he earned 24 NHL games the previous season before last season.

Undersized defensemen can still struggle with the physicality at the NHL level, but they better have other assets to make up for it. Drysdale and Zellweger do have those other assets to make up for it, fortunately. A good GM would provide a more physical defenseman to the roster so the coach can pair them up. Hopefully, there's no need to rush Zellweger to the NHL and if the college guys sign, then there's an extra year or more for Zell to develop his body even more in the AHL.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

For me, I have to trust the Ducks scouts when it comes to defensemen. They have shown time and time again that they are unmatched when it comes to evaluating defensemen prospects.

For them to take Mintyukov where they did really says a lot. But at the same time, Zellweger has as good of a D+1 as you can possibly ask for, especially for a guy that was a week away from being a 2022 draftee.

The top 3 are all really close IMO. I would put Dostal in there but goalies are so random.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Zellweger and Mintyukov are very even for me. I put Mintyukov ahead because he's a bit bigger, which should help him on NHL level to become a top 4 defenseman. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Zellweger became a better offensive defenseman.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A thing to note here is they have basically a couple month age difference only, ao they are the same age. Zellweger looking like a bit late bloomer tbh, and he played on a better team. However, posesses some risks because of his size.
Minty played on a worse team and did not had so good offensive numbers but looks promising for sure.

At this moment I wouldn't know which one I would pick. Minty seems like a safer pick

Reactions: JabbaJabba

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
One thing to remember about Minty, if I remember right, the scouting reports said he put up those points playing within the team's system. He could have put up a lot more if he just played for himself and trying to pad his numbers.

Reactions: Kalv

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Do we think Andersson or Helleson are ready to take over in the event Shatty gets traded? My impression is that both still need some seasoning (Helleson in particular was very unconvincing), but I don't watch Gulls games too often.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Do we think Andersson or Helleson are ready to take over in the event Shatty gets traded? My impression is that both still need some seasoning (Helleson in particular was very unconvincing), but I don't watch Gulls games too often.

Defend the Nest site (John Broadbent) follows the Gulls closely. I've been using his reporting as my reference for AHL peeps. He says Andersson was the best defenseman for the team last year, except the part where he keeps getting injured. As for Helleson, Broadbent says he was acclimating well as the season progressed and that Helleson needs another year with the Gulls, but there are some expectations he will challenge for an NHL roster spot.

I think by the TDL, one or both could be ready to take over Shatty's spot.

Here's the 2022 Gulls Grade report by Defend the Nest: link. You can also find reports on Perreault, Tracey, and Groulx on the report too.

Reactions: Yemeth

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I would say it’s a common opinion. I think they both have similar offensive upside but there’s obviously a lot more risk with someone who is 5’9 to 5’10 versus someone who is 6’1.

I think Zellweger has high end offensive upside at the NHL level but I don’t think he will ever be well rounded enough to be able to play above the second pairing at 5 on 5 on a contending team. Minty I think is a top pairing player.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I see Minty and Zellweger having similar ceilings (both high to very high), but Minty having the higher floor.

I'm all aboard the Swolen Zellwagon, but I can't help but feel that he'll turn into a Montour.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Credit to the scouts, Zellweger and Minty are both going to be studs. Does Minty have to go back to Saginaw or is he he eligible for the AHL being an import.
We think he goes back to juniors, but if he somehow is eligible to play AHL that would be an interesting decision.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Credit to the scouts, Zellweger and Minty are both going to be studs. Does Minty have to go back to Saginaw or is he he eligible for the AHL being an import.

I'm not 100% but I think he would have to be in the CHL again, he missed the previous year due to the OHL shutting down due to covid and if he was on loan from a Russian squad it wouldn't make any sense for him to have not gone back to play for them.

Reactions: Peachkings1922

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby Ontario
I'm not 100% but I think he would have to be in the CHL again, he missed the previous year due to the OHL shutting down due to covid and if he was on loan from a Russian squad it wouldn't make any sense for him to have not gone back to play for them.
I was not sure if he was on loan but your reasoning is logical. Saginaw was a young inexperienced team that will be better with most of the roster returning. Since they acquired Misa (exceptional status) we could see Minty traded to a contender at the deadline for a huge return. As they will be building around Misa.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We think he goes back to juniors, but if he somehow is eligible to play AHL that would be an interesting decision.
Isn’t his team still pretty garbage… I feel like it would be a joke brainer to send him to ahl…. But I don’t think he is eligible for that

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Isn’t his team still pretty garbage… I feel like it would be a joke brainer to send him to ahl…. But I don’t think he is eligible for that

He isn’t. It doesn’t matter that he is an import, he is under contract with a CHL team so he can’t go to the AHL until age 20.

Dumbest rule.

Hopefully he gets traded to a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad