Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I've said it here and there, but the best thing about these defenseman having great junior seasons is that Anaheim can potentially trade one of them and (maybe) get better help in return. I've been worried about his size and his defending abilities since we drafted him. Yeah it's great that he can produce, but what about actually playing defense?

Agreed. There is now way all of these defensive prospects stay with the Ducks. It is too early, but in a year or 2 they need to be looking to add NHL talent and use the "bullets".

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Agreed. There is now way all of these defensive prospects stay with the Ducks. It is too early, but in a year or 2 they need to be looking to add NHL talent and use the "bullets".

Yeah, it'll be a necessity eventually to trade for some experienced players as the current roster ages out especially. There isn't going to be enough roster spots to go around and we can't expect all of these guys to pan out in the NHL.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Asst GM Madden said that his defensemen need not worry about making immediate impact and that the org will give them leeway to develop.

Two years isn't enough time to evaluate if our mass group of D-men are or are not NHL players. Next year, LaCombe is probably the only prospect in the NHL. The second year, we're going to be pushing Minty, Hinds, Zell, Helleson, and Andersson. We're pushing rookies two years from now. Although we have Luneau and Warren in the CHL, Moore is a Harvard collegian and not a guarantee to sign within two years.

When Verbeek reset the rebuild he initiated a long game.

If we package a lot of prospects for a top pairing D within the next two years, then it is going to cost us defensive talent depth and probably a 1st round pick at a minimum. That's the opposite of what Verbeek was trying to design overall for the Ducks. Prospects gives us talent depth and potential cap control. Draft picks keeps giving us those prospects.

Reactions: Daz28

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Torey Krug, Vatanen, Girard, Phil Housley, Spurgeon

I’m sure there are more. Zellweger is not as small as you think he is. He’s about 5’9 175 and can probably get to 185. He’s not Nathan Gerbe out there

He very well could be successful in the league, I just don't see a high likelihood that he'll have a major impact on the NHL roster for how high his prospect value is right now. Once he's in an environment with grown men and isn't getting 10+ SOG a game (he's currently only behind Bedard in SOG in the entire WHL, and has 100 more than any other defenseman which is insane), hopefully he can adapt and provide value outside of inflated shot totals.

He's more the kind of player I'd try to package for a more proven NHL dman eventually, given our huge crop of D prospects and the super low quality of defense on our pro roster. There's currently a pretty large gap between when these guys will be NHL ready and how thin the Ducks are defensively, and we're going to have to address that eventually unless we want to continue with a bottom three defense in the NHL every year.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
He very well could be successful in the league, I just don't see a high likelihood that he'll have a major impact on the NHL roster for how high his prospect value is right now. Once he's in an environment with grown men and isn't getting 10+ SOG a game (he's currently only behind Bedard in SOG in the entire WHL, and has 100 more than any other defenseman which is insane), hopefully he can adapt and provide value outside of inflated shot totals.

He's more the kind of player I'd try to package for a more proven NHL dman eventually, given our huge crop of D prospects and the super low quality of defense on our pro roster. There's currently a pretty large gap between when these guys will be NHL ready and how thin the Ducks are defensively, and we're going to have to address that eventually unless we want to continue with a bottom three defense in the NHL every year.
I think this is the tricky part. We don't really know how large a gap it is, and thus, how long we'll need stop gaps for.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Torey Krug, Vatanen, Girard, Phil Housley, Spurgeon

I’m sure there are more. Zellweger is not as small as you think he is. He’s about 5’9 175 and can probably get to 185. He’s not Nathan Gerbe out there

this is a serious question, do you think Zellweger can be feisty/physical like a Krug or Vatanen? loved seeing Vatanen at least to play the body on some guys. Heart of a lion

Reactions: Deuce22

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Ian Moore's season is done, and now we wait to see if he decides to go back (probably).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ian Moore's season is done, and now we wait to see if he decides to go back (probably).

Although Moore was drafted in 2020, he spent is D+1 season in the USHL. Currently, Moore is finishing his sophomore season at Harvard.

From nhl.com:
For collegiate and college-track players, NHL teams hold the rights to drafted prospects for the duration of their NCAA eligibility.
In the case of a player who spends his draft-plus-year in an amateur junior A league such as the USHL before starting college, it could be a five-year signing window.

Anaheim has an additional two seasons of owning Moore's rights if Moore chooses to play all four years at Harvard, which would also coincide with earning his degree. Of course, if Moore wants to leave college after this season, then Anaheim has 30 days to sign him.

From nhl.com:
For college NCAA players that have been drafted, NHL teams retain their rights until 30 days after the player has left college.

But it's all moot because we only have one contract spot left, according to CapFriendly. That last contract spot is reserved for LaCombe.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Kukkonen's season is following Moore's team in the tourney, getting dominated for a first round exit. Still early in the third, but it's Mich Tech 0, Penn St. 5. Perbix's team got eliminated yesterdy. We're down to only LaCombe in the NCAA Tourney.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Although Moore was drafted in 2020, he spent is D+1 season in the USHL. Currently, Moore is finishing his sophomore season at Harvard.

From nhl.com:
For collegiate and college-track players, NHL teams hold the rights to drafted prospects for the duration of their NCAA eligibility.
In the case of a player who spends his draft-plus-year in an amateur junior A league such as the USHL before starting college, it could be a five-year signing window.

Anaheim has an additional two seasons of owning Moore's rights if Moore chooses to play all four years at Harvard, which would also coincide with earning his degree. Of course, if Moore wants to leave college after this season, then Anaheim has 30 days to sign him.

From nhl.com:
For college NCAA players that have been drafted, NHL teams retain their rights until 30 days after the player has left college.

But it's all moot because we only have one contract spot left, according to CapFriendly. That last contract spot is reserved for LaCombe.
Pretty sure it is different because of Covid year. Next summer he will become a UFA.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pretty sure it is different because of Covid year. Next summer he will become a UFA.

Moore was in the USHL for COVID season, not Harvard. CapFriendly's reserve list has Anaheim owning Moore's rights until Aug 15, 2025. If Moore wants a Harvard degree, then he can stay all four years with Harvard.

I'll reiterate this rule: "In the case of a player who spends his draft-plus-year in an amateur junior A league such as the USHL before starting college, it could be a five-year signing window."

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Hard to see that play happening in the NHL unless against tank teams, but man, his skating is back to being a weapon (IMO has been all year). And even if he opted for a shot here, he does have nice passing skills. I like his projection but I think he will need 1 year in San Diego and perhaps another one to start really coming together
Can't wait to have him in the pro game

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
He’s skating like the wind in todays game.
That is by far the biggest thing I want to hear. I really don’t care about the points. His mobility will make the difference between being a bottom pairing guy and clear top 4. He can be exactly what Cam is for us on the right side.

Reactions: Static
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad