OT: 2022-2023 NCAA Hockey Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It will be a sad day when the Olympic rink is gone, best way to play the game IMO. Especially on the Mariucci ice, always felt like you were flying out there, might be my favorite place to play in the state.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Disagree. Smaller ice forces quicker decisions, more intensity.
Wasn't it proven out that larger pieces of ice actually limit scoring as players are often further from the goal (or something like that)?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Disagree. Smaller ice forces quicker decisions, more intensity.
Bigger ice let’s you actually use your speed and passing more effectively (which fit my own strengths much better) growing up with an Olympic sheet option, we had a season where we went undefeated on the Olympic rink. I think it opens up more skill expression personally but it’s all anecdotal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wasn't it proven out that larger pieces of ice actually limit scoring as players are often further from the goal (or something like that)?
Yes it was actually

Bigger ice let’s you actually use your speed and passing more effectively (which fit my own strengths much better) growing up with an Olympic sheet option, we had a season where we went undefeated on the Olympic rink. I think it opens up more skill expression personally but it’s all anecdotal.
That's the entire problem. Everyone has more time and space, so everyone tries to use it, thus not forcing the play into the scoring areas to get something to actually happen.

It promotes a less skill game as even less skill players try things they would never get away with on smaller ice. Thus overall, the pace slows, as everyone suddenly thinks they're Kaprizov, and stick handle a mile away from the goal.

Reactions: HobeyBroten

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Perhaps one can say that is there is a clear difference in skill among players, that the bigger ice gives them a lot of room to display that - better speed, more ability to change direction easily, better stickhandling, etc - but if the players are nearer to being peers, then the extra ice doesn't benefit, and keeping everything tighter makes a more active game.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
larger ice surface makes players who can't skate look pretty foolish. Also exposes bad reads. Physical play is harder, also.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
larger ice surface makes players who can't skate look pretty foolish. Also exposes bad reads. Physical play is harder, also.
Right, so a mediocre player like Steel would love large ice because he can pretend to be more skilled than he is. Small ice filters players to their real strengths and weaknesses. The true skill rises to the top, as they make even more exciting plays in the more limited time and space, those who can't handle that, learn to channel their strengths in other directions and become better players for it as well.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Right, so a mediocre player like Steel would love large ice because he can pretend to be more skilled than he is. Small ice filters players to their real strengths and weaknesses. The true skill rises to the top, as they make even more exciting plays in the more limited time and space, those who can't handle that, learn to channel their strengths in other directions and become better players for it as well.
Steel would look better, Middleton, worse. Really exposes Dmen with bad technique. Brodin would be fine, as would Spurgeon. Addison would probably look better. Reaves would be a tough watch

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Not sure if it is “pretending” as much as the skills just better fitting the environment. Players adapt to the norm, if Olympic rinks were more normalized you would probably see even more emphasis on player speed at the top. McDavid probably wouldn’t mind an extra couple of feet to build more separation on his rushes.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not sure if it is “pretending” as much as the skills just better fitting the environment. Players adapt to the norm, if Olympic rinks were more normalized you would probably see even more emphasis on player speed at the top. McDavid probably wouldn’t mind an extra couple of feet to build more separation on his rushes.
As mentioned earlier in the thread by @Minnewildsota, it's been proven the game slows down and more action happens further from the net and results in less scoring.

Small ice forces quick decisions and higher intensity. Thus the game is faster paced.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As mentioned earlier in the thread by @Minnewildsota, it's been proven the game slows down and more action happens further from the net and results in less scoring.

Small ice forces quick decisions and higher intensity. Thus the game is faster paced.
Actually, he/she asked if it had been proven.

I'd be interested in seeing such proof, if you have it.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

I haven’t argued that plays happen from further away, that is how it works when you make the surface bigger, it’s literally the point that players now have additional space to work with.

I don’t think you can prove that it “slows the game down” as that is just a nebulous interpretation. Players have to travel more, so I guess in that sense it is true, but that’s kind of the point and not a negative if you believe that players should be able to use speed as a differentiator in their games.

I am not saying one is better than the other, simply that I prefer playing and watching on Olympic size rinks, my perception is that it gives more agency to the faster teams compared to the slower, and I like fast.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I've also read that the larger ice surface reduces scoring. I'm not going to take the time to dig it up, though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

The larger rink decreases body contact and increases travel distance, resulting in less scoring. By contrast, a smaller rink could accelerate the pace and make the matches more physical, which is one of the reasons why fans love ice hockey.

I'm not finding the data that came out like 8 yrs or so ago though...

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I'd like to see the nhl go olympic and everyone else stay small but whatever, I get the space arguments but like most things it seems a bit overblown, at nhl speed that 7.5 feet along each boards won't be a massive thing unless we go back to a slow plodding lock down defensive hockey.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd like to see the nhl go olympic and everyone else stay small but whatever, I get the space arguments but like most things it seems a bit overblown, at nhl speed that 7.5 feet along each boards won't be a massive thing unless we go back to a slow plodding lock down defensive hockey.
The larger space promotes defenses to contract towards the goal and not challenge the puck carrier on the outside, slowing everything down.

Players like McDavid and Kaprizov are able to shine even more, as their superior skills separate them from the group as they are able to do things quicker in smaller spaces that are far more impressive.

Just like a wider field in Canadian Football allows lesser players to compete... so does larger ice in hockey.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The larger space promotes defenses to contract towards the goal and not challenge the puck carrier on the outside, slowing everything down.

Players like McDavid and Kaprizov are able to shine even more, as their superior skills separate them from the group as they are able to do things quicker in smaller spaces that are far more impressive.

Just like a wider field in Canadian Football allows lesser players to compete... so does larger ice in hockey.
The longer and wider CFL fields also demand more stamina, the NFL more strength. Wonder if the same is true of larger ice surfaces? My buddies who played Bandy are more about stamina and speed after a long wind up, rather than short burst of acceleration that modern hockey is now about.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

Just like a wider field in Canadian Football allows lesser players to compete... so does largr ice i

I don't think any change would allow teams to collapse more than they already do now. Only so much prime real estate in front of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad