OT: 2022-2023 NCAA Hockey Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Gophers should have won imo. Oh well, it should make them hungry for the tourney. Faber is very patient on the ice; lots of folks hyping him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a learning curve there. He should be compared to Spurgeon, not Brodin.

Last few times I’ve watched SCSU, Peart hasn’t looked strong, trending down imo.
I also see Faber as more of a taller Spurgeon type (at full potential defensively) with really good transition and possession play. I do think he handles speed pretty well, like Brodin, which is a big plus in my book and hopefully translates to the next level. IMO, he is a guy that will help enable his teammates, making their lives easier.

I agree with 57Special about the strengths in Peart's game, I have said from the draft that I think he will need quite a bit of cooking, but he has a lot of things in his game to be intrigued by, and it is good to see him continue to develop well. I haven't watched much SCSU outside of highlights however, but it does seem like they lean on him in go to situations.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gophers should have won imo. Oh well, it should make them hungry for the tourney. Faber is very patient on the ice; lots of folks hyping him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a learning curve there. He should be compared to Spurgeon, not Brodin.

Last few times I’ve watched SCSU, Peart hasn’t looked strong, trending down imo.
I thought MI was the better team. Gophers d looked sleepy, and lazy. Unable to deal with MI's forecheck. Close could've been better, too.

I think the opposite of you about Peart. He looked vg, to me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I thought MI was the better team. Gophers d looked sleepy, and lazy. Unable to deal with MI's forecheck. Close could've been better, too.

I think the opposite of you about Peart. He looked vg, to me.
The turnarounds were quick crisp and precise by Michigan, Gophers by contrast were slow and sloppy in turnarounds... once the gophers got turned around either to offense or defense, they'd eventually look like the better team at both ends, but those transition times from or to? Those won Michigan the game.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I also see Faber as more of a taller Spurgeon type (at full potential defensively) with really good transition and possession play. I do think he handles speed pretty well, like Brodin, which is a big plus in my book and hopefully translates to the next level. IMO, he is a guy that will help enable his teammates, making their lives easier.

I agree with 57Special about the strengths in Peart's game, I have said from the draft that I think he will need quite a bit of cooking, but he has a lot of things in his game to be intrigued by, and it is good to see him continue to develop well. I haven't watched much SCSU outside of highlights however, but it does seem like they lean on him in go to situations.
I'll definitely take that over a Brodin type.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
The St. Cloud State University Huskies Men's Hockey team just won the NCHC tournament and I would like to give them a shout here and announce my support for them in the quest for their first national championship

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have to say that I have my doubts about the Gophs, after that bad performance against MI. Their top line was good, as always, but that won’t be enough to carry them to a championship. I was surprised at how sloppy and lazy most of the team played. The winning goal by was only made possible by a comedy of errors by MN. Multiple players skating by a puck and not getting a simple chip over the blue line. Their supposedly peerless captain not moving his feet to get in proper position for no reason at all, and the goalie botching what should have been a save. And this wasn’t an isolated incident. Normally composed, good skating Dmen like Koster looked hesitant and unsure, forwards flew the zone too early and lost puck battles… not impressive. That first line has been saving their ass all year, but it wasn’t enough this time.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Yeah, make them more hungry hopefully. There was definitely some puck watching going on Saturday night and I wonder if that partially comes from the coaching. Brodzinski looked noticeably bad/not aggressive and I think guys like Faber are going to have to ‘up’ that intensity if he’s going to suit up for the Wild in the possible near future.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have to say that I have my doubts about the Gophs, after that bad performance against MI. Their top line was good, as always, but that won’t be enough to carry them to a championship. I was surprised at how sloppy and lazy most of the team played. The winning goal by was only made possible by a comedy of errors by MN. Multiple players skating by a puck and not getting a simple chip over the blue line. Their supposedly peerless captain not moving his feet to get in proper position for no reason at all, and the goalie botching what should have been a save. And this wasn’t an isolated incident. Normally composed, good skating Dmen like Koster looked hesitant and unsure, forwards flew the zone too early and lost puck battles… not impressive. That first line has been saving their ass all year, but it wasn’t enough this time.
Jeez, are you ever defensive about this.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
As a Gopher fan, I'm secretly pleased they lost. A long winning streak all the way to an NCAA Championship is a rare thing. A game like that which gives the coaching staff a few things to point out to a team who has a reason to listen can be a good thing.

Reactions: keppel146

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As a Gopher fan, I'm secretly pleased they lost. A long winning streak all the way to an NCAA Championship is a rare thing. A game like that which gives the coaching staff a few things to point out to a team who has a reason to listen can be a good thing.
This was a good wakeup call. They tried to win more on skill than on playing a detailed game.
This should help get their attention to detail again. If not? They're asking for trouble.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
4F223455-7A31-463E-9573-B7920C34F05C.jpeg

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, St. Cloud or Mankato’s reward for winning through is playing Minnesota? These brackets are ridiculous.

The camera angle is so far up that I feel I have to bring my binoculars out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Peart has really improved. He looks damn good. Composed when defending, AND when he has the puck. Will he be a better prospect than Faber at the same age?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wow, after getting dominated ,the Huskies score two 2nd period goals. Good shot blocking, good goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad