OT: 2022-2023 NCAA Hockey Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Once. He made it past round 1 once almost 20 years ago. He's 1-13 in playoff series, 0-7 with professional teams. I can't fathom calling that a winning coach.
Just looked it up, and you’re right. An awful post season record. .294 winning% in the WHL, .077 in the AHL, and .353 in the NHL.

Mike Yeo had a .436 winning percentage in the NHL post season. Don’t know what it was in the AHL, but I do know he made it to the finals down in Houston.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Once. He made it past round 1 once almost 20 years ago. He's 1-13 in playoff series, 0-7 with professional teams. I can't fathom calling that a winning coach.
I don’t think you understand all the winning buttons he has pushed

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Didn't a lot of college teams join D1 in the mid-late 90s? 10-15 years seems about right to move them higher on the list for college choices for recruits. You figure the first 8 to 10 years is the would have been kids that were in high school when the college joined D1 and for most it would have been the plan-D for college choices. It's not the reason for WI's decline, but I would guess it's one of many factors.
Other than Mankato, which mid-late 90s birthed program is beating out Wisconsin for ANY recruits? That's the only school I can think of, and I would guess that get maybe 20-25% of kids that had a choice between the two. And that's only after Mankato dominating their conference and Wisconsin in the basement of theirs over the past decade.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Other than Mankato, which mid-late 90s birthed program is beating out Wisconsin for ANY recruits? That's the only school I can think of, and I would guess that get maybe 20-25% of kids that had a choice between the two. And that's only after Mankato dominating their conference and Wisconsin in the basement of theirs over the past decade.

Just looked there were 8 teams to join D1 from 95-2k: Bejidji, U-Conn, Mankato, Quinnipac, Canassius, Niargia, etc. It just dilutes the prospect pool for the power schools to choose from. It's not like UM has winning championships hand over fist in the same timeframe either.

Recruiting is a nationwide thing, not just a couple of states and there are only so many scholarships to be given out per school. Kids that would have been walkons 20 years ago can now get scholarships to other schools.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Just looked there were 8 teams to join D1 from 95-2k: Bejidji, U-Conn, Mankato, Quinnipac, Canassius, Niargia, etc. It just dilutes the prospect pool for the power schools to choose from. It's not like UM has winning championships hand over fist in the same timeframe either.

Recruiting is a nationwide thing, not just a couple of states and there are only so many scholarships to be given out per school. Kids that would have been walkons 20 years ago can now get scholarships to other schools.
I love the school Bejidji

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

I am familiar with college hockey. I have been following it very closely for over 20 years. Wisconsin has fallen off harder and faster than any other blue-blood program in recent memory. If they are still winning recruiting battles against the schools that you mentioned, talent dilution isn't the issue because they are still getting their choice of players.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I am familiar with college hockey. I have been following it very closely for over 20 years. Wisconsin has fallen off harder and faster than any other blue-blood program in recent memory. If they are still winning recruiting battles against the schools that you mentioned, talent dilution isn't the issue because they are still getting their choice of players.
It’s the coaching. When Osiecki left to be the head coach at Ohio State, the recruiting became awful and was the eventual downfall of Eaves. Tony Granato is just a bad coach. They had plenty of good recruits, but no idea how to improve their play both as individuals and a cohesive unit.

The sad part is, if Eaves-Strand-Bittner would have been left in place, they probably would have the program in a better place than it currently is.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s the coaching. When Osiecki left to be the head coach at Ohio State, the recruiting became awful and was the eventual downfall of Eaves. Tony Granato is just a bad coach. They had plenty of good recruits, but no idea how to improve their play both as individuals and a cohesive unit.

The sad part is, if Eaves-Strand-Bittner would have been left in place, they probably would have the program in a better place than it currently is.
If they get a better coach they will be fine. WI is a desirable place to go to school, especially for a midwestern B student/ athlete type, and hockey has a ton of them, both in Canada and the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad