2022-2023 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The Forum is about a century old now. It is also too big for the Tigers. Not to mention gloomy.

Ideally they should try an build new rink near campus like SMU has. I’m sure that would cost small fortune though. Like I said, I think they are building or will start soon. the rink is going where the old rink was. They had to take a bit of the soccer field area to make it fit. I will have to go have a look.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
The Forum is about a century old now. It is also too big for the Tigers. Not to mention gloomy.

Ideally they should try an build new rink near campus like SMU has. I’m sure that would cost small fortune though.

This article is from Sept 2022. Did this project get gassed or is it still on?

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach

Ideally they should try an build new rink near campus like SMU has. I’m sure that would cost small fortune though.
Everything you said about the Forum is true, but when it’s full it’s a helluva old barn, I went to a Mooseheads playoff game in I want to say 2014 when the Metro Centre was hosting curling.. probably my favourite atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of . It’s just way to big , my favourite rink to play in growing up was Soldiers Arena in Oromocto because it only took 200 people to be rocking … if Dal could draw 2500 people a game the Forum would be viewed as a hockey shrine by AUS fans and not a dump. I’m gonna miss seeing it go in it’s current layout… The only rink over 1000 seats with any character left in Atlantic Canada will be the LBR in Saint John assuming what I here about the forum reconfiguration is accurate

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

This article is from Sept 2022. Did this project get gassed or is it still on?
The biggest thing I took away from this article is the fact that Shaun Miller can drive from the Forum to DAL in 5 minutes. Unheard of.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
This, from Tim Bousquet, Twitter answers the burning question on the DAL rink:

"Citing rising construction costs, Dalhousie has "paused" construction of the Dalhousie Event Centre. All Dal's ice stuff will stay at the Halifax Forum."

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
UNB 4-2 over StFX…felt the match up got a whole lot closer as the game went on. If you’re X you have to be much happier with this one (well, unless you’re Peddle perhaps). X really stayed with the game though despite being badly outshot.

Unreal goal from Pinard in the 2nd. Nurse snake bitten again.

I have no doubt it will be tight when these two meet each other again in the 2nd half

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
6th Moncton goal from Friday night is showing Remy Anglehart, assist to Remy Anglehart.
Should be Anglehart from Hache and Dion

I am personally not a fan of Presto scoring software, when it allows things like that

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Entertaining game tonight with ACA @ SMU going to a SO.
I thought ACA has many good moments in the game but lacked finish at times.
Both goalies played very well. ACA was 1 for 5 on the PP.
Not sure if Zazula was "injured" but I didn't see a lot of him in the 3nd period at times when I thought he would be on the ice. He Did play the whole game but I had that feeling. Perhaps I was just missing a shift when he was out.
Anyway, a fun game to watch.
Glad to see UNB win their 11th in a row. I was concerned when they lost 2.

Reactions: Drummer

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Entertaining game tonight with ACA @ SMU going to a SO.
I thought ACA has many good moments in the game but lacked finish at times.
Both goalies played very well. ACA was 1 for 5 on the PP.
Not sure if Zazula was "injured" but I didn't see a lot of him in the 3nd period at times when I thought he would be on the ice. He Did play the whole game but I had that feeling. Perhaps I was just missing a shift when he was out.
Anyway, a fun game to watch.
Glad to see UNB win their 11th in a row. I was concerned when they lost 2.
IMO, Acadia is starved for offence and I can't see it getting much better?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
IMO, Acadia is starved for offence and I can't see it getting much better?
You're absolutely right. They have a hard working team, a young team, but have no true snipers. They get a lot of chances, many of them quality, but lack the finish.
Having said that, I look to players like Kidney and Peach to be productive as they adapt to AUS hockey. They have the talent but need to learn the game at this level.
In reality, top end players are a rarity in this league and most of them end up at UNB. But even their guys had to figure it out over several games.
SMU is an "average" team as is UPEI. SFX has Struthers and Hawell who are both good players.
At the end of the day, if your players are trying as hard as they can, you can't ask for more than that as a coach.
I've always felt that the fans have higher expectations than the coaches bcause the fans don't understand the game. If I watch a game and the players are competing as hard as they can I can walk away feeling I've been entertained.

Reactions: Rob

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X
X gets a much needed 4-2 win in Moncton last night. Interesting to note that Lucas Pfeil got both starts between the pipes this weekend against UNB and UdeM. The offence has been there for X, but their team defensive game has been suspect. They have surrendered more goals against with Raymakers carrying the load so far.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Since MacDougall is coaching Team Canada (FISU), hopefully this goes to another AUS coach.
Maybe Peddle, where X has had the second most success at Nationals of any AUS team in the last 10 years.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Since MacDougall is coaching Team Canada (FISU), hopefully this goes to another AUS coach.
Maybe Peddle, where X has had the second most success at Nationals of any AUS team in the last 10 years.
Hard not to agree with facts but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if they passed on Peddle. How about give a look to Forbie…impressive turnaround for UPEI so far this season!!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
From the rumor mill:

Been talking to a few people and no one has heard much about the AUS-TC game(s).

Normally CIS will put out an email asking coaches to apply . From what I know, this hasn't happened.

One possible "reason" is that University presidents don't want much to do with Hockey Canada.

It could very well be that UNB plays a game against them. <Guessing>

I'll ask Gards Saturday night and report back.

If anyone has solid info, please post.

Reactions: Drummer

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Sounds like the Team Canada world junior hopefuls will play a pair of games against AUS all-stars at the Avenir Centre.
Yeah - I don't think there's much of an appetite to fly players in this year and with so many competitive teams in close proximity - a 'local' all-star team is easy to assemble (even with exams on the go). Not something they can do in other parts of the country (eg. Victoria 2018) and no one wants a repeat of the 2014 Toronto Selects (lost 6-0 and 10-3).

Also, as AUS Fan pointed out - no public announcement in the fall to apply for the coaching position like in the past. So, anyone could be up for this. Gardiner is the obvious 'marketing' choice, but who knows if he has time given his FISU preparations. If he is involved, I could see a few 'special' FISU team members come down to round-out an AUS all-star team.

Regardless - we're getting a rare chance at some bonus hockey we normally never get to see live.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Yeah - I don't think there's much of an appetite to fly players in this year and with so many competitive teams in close proximity - a 'local' all-star team is easy to assemble (even with exams on the go). Not something they can do in other parts of the country (eg. Victoria 2018) and no one wants a repeat of the 2014 Toronto Selects (lost 6-0 and 10-3).

Also, as AUS Fan pointed out - no public announcement in the fall to apply for the coaching position like in the past. So, anyone could be up for this. Gardiner is the obvious 'marketing' choice, but who knows if he has time given his FISU preparations. If he is involved, I could see a few 'special' FISU team members come down to round-out an AUS all-star team.

Regardless - we're getting a rare chance at some bonus hockey we normally never get to see live.
Any idea were they would play?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Any idea were they would play?
From what I heard from a fan was that there would be 1 game in Halifax and 1 in Moncton.

But, as I stated in my Rumor post, no one seems to know much about this.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but if it does it's a well kept secret.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad