2022-2023 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Been trying all day to put my thoughts together on SMU 4-0 win over ACA last night.
ACA had many moments where they dominated play but the SMU defense kept them at bay or Welch made some great saves.
At the the other end, McCollum was really solid at times, making several saves on good shots.
I still can't pinpoint anything that stood out, but there were times when ACA couldn't corral SMU in the D-zone and Boom - the puck is in the net.
I think the SMU defense is pretty good this year, Welch is currently playing well (however long that lasts), the forwards are working hard and everyone seems to be on the same page.
I would expect to see Sumarah in goal at UPEI on Friday. He was on the bench Sunday but hasn't played yet.
ACA has a lot of good pieces and just need to find where they fit. Goaltending is a weakness, IMO. If I'm correct, they have to play much tighter in front of whoever starts.
It's still early and lots can happen.

Reactions: Rob and FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UPEI 9 SMU -1.
On a positive note they held them under double digits.
Also, an undefeated season is gone, so no need to worry about that.
See, I can find a positive in almost anything.
Looking at the boxscore it was a dandy game.
"It's still early and lots can happen" is proving to be a solid comment.

Oh...UNB didn't lose 3 in a row. Back to planning the parade route.

Reactions: Rob and FreddyFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
We rave every year about the parity in the AUS and that “anyone can beat anyone on any given night…but this year it might be more true than ever. UPEI loses to Moncton and Dal…but beats X convincingly + demolishes SMU. UNB and X are both at two losses already. Very wide open start to the season…

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI 9 SMU -1.
On a positive note they held them under double digits.
Also, an undefeated season is gone, so no need to worry about that.
See, I can find a positive in almost anything.
Looking at the boxscore it was a dandy game.
"It's still early and lots can happen" is proving to be a solid comment.
By reading the boxscore it appears that Dawson Theede was given a five minute major for being up Panthers goalie Jordan Capriotti. I will have to watch the archive of the game when I get the chance.

Oh...UNB didn't lose 3 in a row. Back to planning the parade route.

Yeah I may have been too pessimistic.

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
By reading the boxscore it appears that Dawson Theede was given a five minute major for being up Panthers goalie Jordan Capriotti. I will have to watch the archive of the game when I get the chance.

Not surprised. Theede used to play for OJHL’s Cobourg and Capriotti played for Wellington. Big rivals in the OJHL East division.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Actually I just watched the replay in the archives and it wasn’t a fight between the two. Theede was pounding away on Panthers D-man Henry in the crease. Capriotti simply jumped on Theede’s back and tried to pull him off. Technically that is the “third man in”so he got a game misconduct. He was in nets last night so it looks like there will be no suspension.

Six games in. Moncton in first place. They have beaten both UNB and STFX at home.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Theede should get a game or 2 for the fighting major and instigating. I would expect 2 games.

I saw a few clips of UPEI goals at ACA last night and watched the 3rd period. The clips I saw showed (to me at least) that the ACA defense were not solid in the 1st period. I think it was the 3rd UPEI goal where the guy was all alone at the side of the goal. On another goal the puck carrier beats his guy wide and slides a pass over to a UPEI player who has beat His guy to the net.
ACA made a game of it with 2 goals in the 2nd and another in the 3rd, but they need to shore up their defense.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dawson Theede gets 2 game suspension for Fighting, Instigator, Game Misconduct. He will miss SMU-ACA and UPEI-SMU.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I didn't get to ACA for the Wed night game but I watched the 1st, 3rd and OT on the web.
Looked to me to be a better game for both teams since their last outings, especially SMU. Both goalies played well from what I could see.
Speaking of goalies..... Sumarah didn't get the start as I thought he might. Not sure what's going on there but will ask around.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I didn't get to ACA for the Wed night game but I watched the 1st, 3rd and OT on the web.
Looked to me to be a better game for both teams since their last outings, especially SMU. Both goalies played well from what I could see.
Speaking of goalies..... Sumarah didn't get the start as I thought he might. Not sure what's going on there but will ask around.
Watched the third and OT. Looked like two pretty evenly matched teams.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well after last season I thought they would go with Sumarah as the back-up going forward until the added Helvig during the off season. I guess it is just a numbers game for him now.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
St. FX at 2-5 has to be one of the biggest surprises of the season so far.
Overall more parity this season than there has been in years. Although Dal will probably be the league’s whipping boy.

UdeM at 6-2? Good for them. I'm glad to see they're turning things around. I hope.
It has been awhile since Les Aigles have been league title contenders.

Should be a good tilt between them and UNB on Wednesday.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was housebound last night so I watched ACA-UPEI game while watching NCAA FB.
I don't think Acadia has a goaltending problem. McCollum played well but Caprioti was better. Acadia needs to finish plays. They are a young team and should improve as the season progresses. Kidney is at a point-a-game pace and Peach is not far behind. They need scoring from the "old" guys. I thought the D played better than in the 1st period last week.
UPEI is fun to watch. They skate well with a physical edge to their game.
I don't know how they lost to DAL.
Speaking of DAL, I'm hearing a persistent "rumor" that Reilly Pickard has left the team. I've seen him in one game. Big loss for DAL if true.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yep…that’s the other big surprise for sure…but I think X is a bit more shocking. Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.
I agree with you. They had a young team last year and brought most of them back, but also lost a good bit of leadership and experience.
But, that's why they don't give out the AUS crown in October.

Reactions: timbitca

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Yep…that’s the other big surprise for sure…but I think X is a bit more shocking. Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.
Did not at all expect to see X with such a slow start. Watching to see if UdeM can hold onto their momentum and whether or not UPEI can break away from their typical middle of the pack results

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Did not at all expect to see X with such a slow start. Watching to see if UdeM can hold onto their momentum and whether or not UPEI can break away from their typical middle of the pack results
i don’t know where UPEI finishes out the regular season but I know come playoff time they are the last team I’d want to play…

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
i don’t know where UPEI finishes out the regular season but I know come playoff time they are the last team I’d want to play…
They could either be really scary or not show up when it matters most IMO. They’re way past due…you have to think a lot of these teams like X are going to tighten up and look a lot different and be harder to play against in a few months. For the Panthers, if he can stay healthy Capriotti can straight up steal games

Reactions: dm8895

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Couldn’t go to the Moncton v UNB game tonight. Got to watch it in AUS TV. Was very impressed by how quickly they bring up the replays.

The final score was a little unexpected. Montpetite with some big saves early but things quickly fell apart. Pinard looks like he will be the Reds leading goal scorer this season.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Couldn’t go to the Moncton v UNB game tonight. Got to watch it in AUS TV. Was very impressed by how quickly they bring up the replays.

The final score was a little unexpected. Montpetite with some big saves early but things quickly fell apart. Pinard looks like he will be the Reds leading goal scorer this season.
8-2 UNB over UdeM…UNB too much to handle for most of the game. Had Moncton hemmed in their zone at times, especially in the 2nd period where they cycled through a line change and led to a power play. Pinard and Keating looked really good. A lot of pucks on net the past few games!

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
8-2 UNB over UdeM…UNB too much to handle for most of the game. Had Moncton hemmed in their zone at times, especially in the 2nd period where they cycled through a line change and led to a power play. Pinard and Keating looked really good. A lot of pucks on net the past few games!
UNB looks a lot more comfortable than the early season. They're finishing more of their opportunities now. The many young forwards look like they are developing chemistry on their lines. The D are all jumping into the play and enhancing the cycle - this creates risks of turnovers but I notice the new forwards are getting better at rotating back to cover their absence. Richard has been solid in net, and may go the distance if Outhouse can't get healthy, In other words, I think Gardiner really has them clicking now.

But other teams are improving too, especially UPEI in my opinion. StFX is struggling, which is surprising. I don't see that continuing all season. SMU is solid. Acadia seems to me missing something right now. UdeM is hot/cold depending on Montpetit. Dal is Dal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad