2021 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
With the reported greater emphasis on cross-checking this season, I wonder if that will play into our decision on Bortozzo. Does he still play a majority of the games? Does he fall back to #7? Could he be at risk of getting cut? I'm starting to think that Walman will be the one that heads out since there's nothing really that he excels at, but Bort could have a rough year if they are serious about cracking down on cross-checks.

Reactions: boots legrand

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Okay, I thought I was the only one who noticed the Binner/Vladi exchange. I almost felt bad, because it does seem like Vladi is trying to mend things with the boys, but at the same time, he did cause it to begin with.
I didn’t see it like that.

Binnington was stone faced the entire time, as in he was trying to pretend what he was doing was completely normal and he was actually Nolan Stevens. He gives the same reaction to Berube when Berube stops him and is like “wtf.”

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think people look way too much into the interactions between Tarasenko and the other players. The players know this is a business and they know players will come and go. I don't think any of the players hold anything against another player, as long as they show up and perform, I'm sure they understand Tarasenko's reasoning. And of course Tarasenko is going to show up and put the effort in, because if he doesn't, he tanks his own trade value.

At the end of the day, this absolutely feels like a Shattenkirk situation. Tarasenko will likely move on when he hits UFA status. If Army gets a trade offer that he likes before that, then Tarasenko will probably be traded.

Reactions: BlueDream

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yea, if you read my couple comments before in that conversation, that's basically what I said. Scandella was great the year he arrived, but he wasn't good enough last year. He's basically a passable #4 instead of the guy you really want to roll out there with Parayko.

I was hoping they'd address the need for that role with all the movement around the expansion draft, but it seems like Seattle made that too difficult. With the current lineup, it would be nice if Mikkola could step up or if the Blues, as a whole, could become more dominant with possession so they have to do less defending.

A lot of folks seem to be banking on improving that left side with a Tarasenko trade. No idea if that's realistic, but the team still has a playoff lineup either way, so we'll probably have to wait until a serious injury or the trade deadline, whichever comes first.
Mikkola IMO isn't that far away being right guy with Parayko. He isn't anything near as good transition game like Jbo, but he has reach, skating like Jbo. I give edge on physicality for Mikkola, tho Jbo's physicality was underrated he didn't use that a lot.

I still hope he could reach his potential what I view when we drafted him.

Pretty shame how Jbo's career ended. He would easily still play in team. Last year's he enjoyed the game, finally got injury free.

Reactions: teddygmr

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Honestly, I'm optimistic that Mikkola either develops into that role with Parayko this season, or the combination of him and Perunovich will be a game-changer on our backend, where they provide 2nd pairing quality play. I'm definitely one of the higher ones on Mikkola.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I didn’t see it like that.

Binnington was stone faced the entire time, as in he was trying to pretend what he was doing was completely normal and he was actually Nolan Stevens. He gives the same reaction to Berube when Berube stops him and is like “wtf.”

I thought that could’ve been it as well, which is why I didn’t mention anything about it until someone else brought it up. Thought the weed was making me over analyze it LOL.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I thought that could’ve been it as well, which is why I didn’t mention anything about it until someone else brought it up. Thought the weed was making me over analyze it LOL.
Who cares if you’re right or wrong?

We should start a thread solely based on wild speculation.

Oh….wait….most of HF is wildly speculative.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
By my count we're down to 34 players on the roster (including Sundqvist). There are 2 more preseason games in the next 3 days and then we should get the final cuts. I am trying to remember a training camp where I was less certain who would make the final roster...and I think there isn't one.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You’re getting there.
I won’t say ‘I told you so’.

I’ll just mention that I think the team may be better without Vlad (or his cap hit). I think he’ll be healthy enough, but I don’t really expect him to play like a star player again. If he were a 30 goal guy on the 3rd line, I’d be ecstatic. 20 goals should probably still make us happy. I think a guy producing at that rate will get fair trade offers.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I won’t say ‘I told you so’.

I’ll just mention that I think the team may be better without Vlad (or his cap hit). I think he’ll be healthy enough, but I don’t really expect him to play like a star player again. If he were a 30 goal guy on the 3rd line, I’d be ecstatic. 20 goals should probably still make us happy. I think a guy producing at that rate will get fair trade offers.
To which part of me would you not say 'I told you so.' The believing or the thinking part? ;)

EDIT: Another aspect of my thinking part is that Blues need a top LHD. The path of least resistance toward a top LHD is to trade Tarasenko because this team is too good to draft high enough to draft a top stud IF one is even available AND becomes what we want. And we all know that top NHL defensemen take a little while to fully develop. Our window is now.

However, if Kyrou and Thomas falter (or other offensive woes), then perhaps DA shelves a Tarasenko trade for a while. So many fun variables to consider.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues made more cuts today, no surprises. Frolik was released but Neal is still here.

We’re now down to 28 guys in camp, so really down to the group that will see NHL time, including call ups.

Looks like it will come down to the final preseason game for the remaining roster decisions.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
7 Roster cuts today, with no surprises. Anas, Alexandrov, Santini, Lindgren, Rosen and Walker are all Springfield bound. Frolik had his PTO terminated, so he is heading back home. Walker was mildly impressive in the games I watched, but he was never going to make this team. He is a decent guy to have in the AHl for a call-up.

That leaves the following (bold are locked for team, red is most likely IR bound, underlined is our lone remaining PTO):

Forward (18/14) - RoR,Perron, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Schenn, Thomas, Tarasenko, Saad, Barbashev, Bozak, Sunqvist, Neal, Brown, Clifford, Joshua, Kostin, MacEachern, Neighbours

Defense (8/7) - Faulk, Krug, Parayko, Scandella, Bortuzzo, Mikkola, Perunovich, Walman

Goalies (3/2) - Binnington, Husso, Ellis

We need to send Sunny to IR and cut 3-4 of those forwards, depending if we are running a 22 or 23 man roster. These are all tough cuts at this point. I think they are all in competition for the last 2 starter spots, as well as the press box. My guess is Neighbours and Kostin get in the lineup while Brown gets a pressbox spot/rotating duty with Neighbours to stretch out his 9 game trial. I think Joshua might have earned that last spot, but we will probably keep Clifford up as he is a vet presence. I don't think we sign Neal. He scored some goals in his first game, but hasn't really made a statement after that. I'd rather have him over Brown, but I assume the organization thinks Brown has the more long-term value.

On D, Bortuzzo is probably pretty close to a lock, but he isn't a guaranteed starter so I didn't bold him. He'll be our 7th D at minimum though. I think Walman is obviously the odd man out, as I have not been impressed with his pre-season games at all. The other 3 will probably rotate a good bit to start until Perunovich either solidifies his spot through his offense or loses his spot with his defense. Bortuzzo will get the most games though, as we need him on the PK.

In the net, Ellis is only here to get one more game. Lindgren and Hofer both got their 60 minutes of work in goal. Ellis only got 20 in so far. He'll get 2 more periods and be sent down.

Last edited:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
7 Roster cuts today, with no surprises. Anas, Alexandrov, Santini, Lindgren, Rosen and Walker are all Springfield bound. Frolik had his PTO terminated, so he is heading back home. Walker was mildly impressive in the games I watched, but he was never going to make this team. He is a decent guy to have in the AHl for a call-up.

That leaves the following (bold are locked for team, red is most likely IR bound, underlined is our lone remaining PTO):

Forward (18/14) - RoR,Perron, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Schenn, Thomas, Tarasenko, Saad, Barbashev, Bozak, Sunqvist, Neal, Brown, Clifford, Joshua, Kostin, MacEachern, Neighbours

Defense (8/7) - Faulk, Krug, Parayko, Scandella, Bortuzzo, Mikkola, Perunovich, Walman

Goalies (3/2) - Binnington, Husso, Ellis

We need to cut 4-5 of those forwards, depending if we are running a 22 or 23 man roster. These are all tough cuts at this point. I think they are all in competition for the last 2 starter spots, as well as the press box. My guess is Neighbours and Kostin get in the lineup while Brown gets a pressbox spot/rotating duty with Neighbours to stretch out his 9 game trial. I think Joshua might have earned that last spot, but we will probably keep Clifford up as he is a vet presence. I don't think we sign Neal. He scored some goals in his first game, but hasn't really made a statement after that. I'd rather have him over Brown, but I assume the organization thinks Brown has the more long-term value.

On D, Bortuzzo is probably pretty close to a lock, but he isn't a guaranteed starter so I didn't bold him. He'll be our 7th D at minimum though. I think Walman is obviously the odd man out, as I have not been impressed with his pre-season games at all. The other 3 will probably rotate a good bit to start until Perunovich either solidifies his spot through his offense or loses his spot with his defense. Bortuzzo will get the most games though, as we need him on the PK.

In the net, Ellis is only here to get one more game. Lindgren and Hofer both got their 60 minutes of work in goal. Ellis only got 20 in so far. He'll get 2 more periods and be sent down.
Berube said goalies were gonna play full games. I suspect Ellis is simply here bc they need someone else on practice to ease workload of our guys.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Berube said goalies were gonna play full games. I suspect Ellis is simply here bc they need someone else on practice to ease workload of our guys.

That's fair. My main point was that I don't think it says anything about his place on the depth chart vis a vis Hofer. Hofer got his 60, so he was sent down. Ellis will stick around to get some more work (even if its just practice) before he to will be sent down. I believe Ellis is ECHL bound unless they can loan him out somewhere (I hope, he deserves it). Maybe they are trying to figure out a loan before they send him to a minor league camp.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That's fair. My main point was that I don't think it says anything about his place on the depth chart vis a vis Hofer. Hofer got his 60, so he was sent down. Ellis will stick around to get some more work (even if its just practice) before he to will be sent down. I believe Ellis is ECHL bound unless they can loan him out somewhere (I hope, he deserves it). Maybe they are trying to figure out a loan before they send him to a minor league camp.
I think this makes sense. Hofer certainly seems further along and higher on depth chart.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Walman and Mikkola seem to be a toss up amongst posters. Some like Mikkola's size. Some like Walman's skill.
I prefer Walman myself, but he has warts like all of the guys on the bubble.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Walman and Mikkola seem to be a toss up amongst posters. Some like Mikkola's size. Some like Walman's skill.
I prefer Walman myself, but he has warts like all of the guys on the bubble.

Yea. Mikkola has shown more potential to be the steady, overall player the team needs, but Walman was better down the stretch last season than Mikkola has ever shown for more than a few games. It seems like both guys have underwhelmed in camp/preseason.

It's weird because they aren't dumb players; they both seem to read the ice fine, they just can't seem to clean up basic mistakes. It's like they can't keep focus. I know that's usually a byproduct of not actually reading the game quickly enough, but I can't help but wonder if they'd look significantly better on some teams with different systems.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

That makes sense. We give him a minimum deal and he’ll still be making over 2.5M in total. Pretty nice for him.

Woulda been great if Kostin or Brown could play well to earn a spot but doesn’t look like that will happen.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Signing Neal could just be a safety net as well for what may transpire between the Blues and Tarasenko. I'm of the belief that we have plenty of skill as it stands to fill the top 9, but once Tarasenko leaves, we lose a valuable top 9 piece with maybe, but not as likely, another top 9 piece coming back (I think LD prospect). Plus, Bozak has had injuries, Kostin, Sundqvist, Thomas, and Saad the past 2 seasons. If Clifford will be a good teammate like Thorburn and play in the AHL and I'm assuming MacEachern is going down as well, I think that gives us enough roster spots to keep this forward group intact. I don't think Brown deserves a spot up here right now, but we probably don't want to risk losing him. And, Joshua I think has played well enough to be on the roster opening day.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Blues lines at practice per JR:

Saad-O'Reilly-Perron
Kyrou-Schenn-Buchnevich
Neal-Thomas-Tarasenko
Barbashev-Bozak-Neighbours
Clifford-Joshua-MacEachern
Kostin-Brown

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Walman-Bortuzzo
Perunovich-Mikkola

Binnington
Husso
Ellis

Assuming Clifford is being held on for his veteran presence on the 4th line/extra forward, it looks like battles are Neighbours, Joshua, MacMac, Kostin for those last 2 spots, but it sure doesn't seem like Kostin is going to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad