2021 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Walman is better than people think.

But like so many of the talented young players in the league, it's about consistency and bringing something to every game. That's how you get playing time. Hopefully, Walman get it.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Walman is better than people think.

But like so many of the talented young players in the league, it's about consistency and bringing something to every game. That's how you get playing time. Hopefully, Walman get it.
Except he isn't young. He's nearly a year older than McDavid who has seemingly been in league forever. Lots of guys can flash skill; if you can't do it consistently you really ain't bringing much to the table.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Except he isn't young. He's nearly a year older than McDavid who has seemingly been in league forever. Lots of guys can flash skill; if you can't do it consistently you really ain't bringing much to the table.

He's 25, but he has improved a lot over the past 3 years. Berube commented on how hard he has worked.
In the '19 season he was a -31 for San Antonio. I remember many comments of people giving up on his NHL chances.
He's proving to be a late bloomer. In his interview last week Walman said that he has worked hard to regain his confidence. He still has a lot of improving to do defensively but that is coming around too. He's far from having arrived as anything other than an offensive 3rd pairing guy, but he could grow by leaps this year if given the opportunity. Go Jake!

Reactions: execwrite1

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Mikkola, and to greater extent Jake Walman, are hugely improved since last year's training camp. I think Walman , with his speed, his shot and his budding aggressive play , is , at minimum, a top 4 defenseman in the very near future

I've seen the same thing from Walman, my friend.
So we are a small but mighty fan club. Kostin is another Blue who is a much improved player from previous camps.
People need to see more than just the box score. Walman and Kostin are going to be solid NHLers soon.

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
Is Neal simply a depth signing or is he legitimately going to see 3rd line duties?

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Is Neal simply a depth signing or is he legitimately going to see 3rd line duties?

It looks like he starts on the 3rd line as he practiced with Thomas and Tarasenko the day before the CBJ game and then played on that line. The line played fine together. Neighbours is going to get a chance in that spot too IMO. So, those two will probably rotate a bit on that line with one or the other being scratched along with Clifford.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Not sure which thread to post this. Now that training camp is over and the roster is set, there still looks to be tremendous competition for the forwards ice time. If someone struggles a bit, there is a competent player waiting to take his role. Even MacEachern and Joshua could force their way into this line-up. I really like the way this sets up for the season.

Although Covid numbers are dropping in most of the league’s locations, it’s likely there will be missed time here and there through the Winter season due to protocols, let alone the usual (hopefully JUST the usual) amount of injuries.

I think the coaches have a lot of material to work with to craft effective lines. I’m curious how the emphasis on forwards helping more defensively translates into play style and effectiveness. The division is pretty competitive. Should be an intense season.

I’d really like to see Husso take a couple big steps forward. Ideally, you’d like a back-up who can shoulder the starter’s load for a stretch…and that is a pretty uncomfortable prospect right now with Husso. Can he assert himself? If not, I could see the team making a move mid-season to replace him.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Mikkola, and to greater extent Jake Walman, are hugely improved since last year's training camp. I think Walman , with his speed, his shot and his budding aggressive play , is , at minimum, a top 4 defenseman in the very near future

I mean, I hope you're right. :laugh: :lol: :heart:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I’d really like to see Husso take a couple big steps forward. Ideally, you’d like a back-up who can shoulder the starter’s load for a stretch…and that is a pretty uncomfortable prospect right now with Husso. Can he assert himself? If not, I could see the team making a move mid-season to replace him.
I agree that Husso needs to be better this season than he was last season, especially early in games. One thing that tends to get lost in the discussion about his play, though, is that he was 9-6-1. In other words, we banked 59.4% of the possible points in his starts. If you look around the league and back in time and compare that against the backups for contenders current and prior, that is a pretty good clip of points banked when you give your starter a rest. Ideally, I think he gets 24 starts this season (leaving 58 for Binnington) and if he can go something like 14-8-2 in those starts, I really don't care what his SP and GAA are to be honest. Wins and points are all that matters.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I agree that Husso needs to be better this season than he was last season, especially early in games. One thing that tends to get lost in the discussion about his play, though, is that he was 9-6-1. In other words, we banked 59.4% of the possible points in his starts. If you look around the league and back in time and compare that against the backups for contenders current and prior, that is a pretty good clip of points banked when you give your starter a rest. Ideally, I think he gets 24 starts this season (leaving 58 for Binnington) and if he can go something like 14-8-2 in those starts, I really don't care what his SP and GAA are to be honest. Wins and points are all that matters.

Sure, but without playing better or being more comfortable in the goal he won't be posting those numbers. He got very controlled starts last year and if he's going to have a future as an NHL goaltender he'll need to be able to face teams that aren't LA, San Jose, or Anaheim with confidence.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006

Until/unless his legs give out, he looks to be a Top 9 forward. I suspect he will regularly be paired with Thomas. He can go down low and to the net waiting for Thomas to dangle around the zone and receive a pass or bang in a Tarasenko rebound. He gives Thomas a very particular weapon/option not usually not available to Thomas and Neal theoretically has the hands to finish off Thomas’ razzle dazzle passes that other past, regular linemates have squandered.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I agree with Yappi that we need Husso to take a step forward. While he went 9-6-1, I don't think that this record is very predictive of team success moving forward (especially if Binner has a small injury that forces Husso to start several games in a row rather than sheltered spot starts). Husso got a good chunk of goal support in his wins, so I view his record as a reflection of the team overcoming having the backup in net than his ability to help us bank points.

Here are the scores for each of his wins:

4-1 (ANA), 5-4 (ARI), 7-6* (SJS), 5-4 (ANA), 3-2 (LAK), 5-2 (SJS), 3-2 (MIN), 5-4 (MIN), 4-0 (MIN). The asterisk is that crazy SJ game where he relieved Binner. Husso allowed 2 goals in half a game for a 7-6 win. Worth noting that one of his wins was not in a start, but a relief effort. He went 8-6-1 in his 15 starts. His points percentage in starts is 56.67%. The win as the backup with SJ shouldn't be discounted, but it is worth noting because it tends to skew the data a touch. He deserves credit for hanging in tight, but it is also a bit tough to give him credit for getting 2 of 2 possible points there and not factoring his other relief appearance into the equation at all. Regardless, his points percentage is good and the difference between 56% or 59% isn't what I'm worried about.

Ultimately, he got 4+ goals of support in 7 of his 9 wins. He got 5+ goals of support in 5 of his 9 wins. 3 of his 9 wins saw him allow 4 goals but get the win because our team scored 5. Binner only had 2 such games despite playing nearly triple the games as Husso. Husso allowed 4+ goals in 6 of his 15 starts and went 3-3 in those games. Plus the relief appearance where he allowed 2 goals in half a game but got the win. That is just not sustainable. To compare, Binner went 2-4-4 (plus the SJ no decision) in the 11 starts where he allowed 4+ goals. Husso allowed 4+ goals in 40% of his starts. At that rate, we'd expect him to allow 4+ in 9 or 10 starts out of a proposed 24 start schedule. If that happens, I think it is very unlikely that we bank 9-10 points in those games. Especially if they come in a stretch where we aren't able to strategically insert him into games against weaker teams or against better teams who are also starting their backup.

He had moments last season where he was shaky early and then made "that key save" at the right time to hold a lead in a high scoring affair. He deserves credit for that. His ability to park some early mistakes and keep battling is probably the reason he still has an NHL job. But his good record was very reflective of being used in favorable situations against teams where you can outscore a shaky night from your goalie. If he has to take the net for a couple weeks, it is very, very unlikely that we'll be able to outscore soft goaltending as often.

Mook, I get your point that all you really want out of a backup is to be good enough to put some points in the bank. I just think that his results/success doing it last year aren't sustainable unless he takes a step forward. In a full 82 game schedule, the odds of your starter dealing with something minor (or losing his mojo and needing a couple nights off to reset) for a week or two are pretty high. It is harder to shelter your backup for a full 82 game season than in a 56 game season where you are playing 2 game sets in every city you go to and half the teams on your schedule are bottom 5-10 teams in the league. Given those considerations, I think we need him to take a step forward in order to bank 50-55% or more of the available points when he plays.

Last edited:

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I've seen the same thing from Walman, my friend.
So we are a small but mighty fan club. Kostin is another Blue who is a much improved player from previous camps.
People need to see more than just the box score. Walman and Kostin are going to be solid NHLers soon.

Kostin filling in to start on the top line tonight. Jake Walman scheduled to start with Colt 55 on the 1st pairing.

Reactions: Ranksu

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
They prolly just put him with Parayko bc Borts can’t carry him any longer.

Bortuzzo-Walman has the best xGF% of any Blues pair (over 10 minutes) and is 11th best in the league. 8th best in league in CF%, 5th best in Scoring Chances For %, They are doing fine feasting on lesser compeititon is o-zone situations. That is the least troublesome pair by any metric, GIVEN how all pairs have been deployed.

Reactions: Meatball
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad