Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft: The Home Stretch, Draft July 23-24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
the more i read about mctavish the better he sounds . i didnt realize hes been on a scoring tear for years / is captain material / is seen as having high hockey iq . i was down on him for criticism over his skating because i figured his dads an ex pro so hes as developed as hes gonna get so will never be a real good skater , and that doesnt fit the yzerman ' hive of bee's ' forward design . but they say hes a hard working two way player so maybe it would work

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
the more i read about mctavish the better he sounds . i didnt realize hes been on a scoring tear for years / is captain material / is seen as having high hockey iq . i was down on him for criticism over his skating because i figured his dads an ex pro so hes as developed as hes gonna get so will never be a real good skater , and that doesnt fit the yzerman ' hive of bee's ' forward design . but they say hes a hard working two way player so maybe it would work

The type that would dive face first in front of a puck late in a game to help the team win

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I haven’t followed the junior ranks as much this season. So I don’t have as strong of conviction about who we should pick this year.

From what I see Brandt Clarke looks like a real one though. Would be happy with him at 6!

And regardless of what I’ve scouted… no thanks on a goalie at 6.
Just my personal mindset.
A small piece of me would die if Wings picked a goalie that early.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Anyone change their opinions since the Black Book came out today?

It affirmed some things that I’ve been playing with.

I have Eklund as BPA at this point.
Makes me feel better about elevating McTavish into my personal top 6.
Makes me feel assured in my placement of Hughes being lower than the consensus here.

And then naturally it makes you circle back and reconsider things. The Sillinger thing is the obvious one… a substantial variance from what other people have published. I still have to revisit Edvinsson over and over again because I’m wishy washy on him.

Reactions: Dotter

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
After watching the Coronato scouching the guy that Coronato reminds me of is Seth Jarvis. Tenacious little guys that are always moving their feet and make things happen by being smarter than everyone.

If he’s there at 22 I snag him. I personally think he goes between 9 and 15 though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Makes me feel assured in my placement of Hughes being lower than the consensus here.

And then naturally it makes you circle back and reconsider things. The Sillinger thing is the obvious one… a substantial variance from what other people have published. I still have to revisit Edvinsson over and over again because I’m wishy washy on him.

I think that is interesting because I am in that next phase after my first six and considering Sillinger in front of Eklund, who honestly might not make my top 10. So I always find it interesting the guys you like and agree with and the guys you don't on the same list.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009

Film Room: Investigating Mason McTavish's powerful game - EP Rinkside
Here's some more McTavish loving that Cam Robinson just put out. Has glowing remarks and video breakdowns of what he sees and likes about McTavish's game. Some choice quotes from scouts on McTavish: "... A throwback player - he plays a hard two-way game with a motor that doesn't stop. What he lacks in a bit of foot speed or pace he will gain once he matures physically. You win with guys like this - and he can shoot the puck through a car door." - Western Conference scout
-"(Matty) Beniers gets a lot of hype as the best two-way center in the class, and for good reason. But it's McTavish who has the tools to impact the game at a higher level. Heavy and hardstyle will transition well" - Eastern Conference scout
-"If Mason McTavish wants the puck, then Mason McTavish takes the puck. He's just an unrelenting force on puck-retrievals. He takes the best lines, establishes body position, times contact perfectly, and just plain outworks his opponents every time. He's so efficient along the boards it's absurd."

There are some concerns about his skating, but most agree that with more physical development and some refinement to his mechanics, that he will get around just fine.
Personally, I like Eklund, he plays the skill game that people love in their prospects. I just feel like we have that in our system already. I'm the furthest thing from a size queen (longtime Happy Hudler proponent back in the day), but at some point, I would really like to see us have some guys with some snarl to them. It has gotten so old watching the Wings just get bullied out there, every time things get chippy, our guys have to turn the other cheek and skate away. Give me a David Backes, or a Jamie Benn, or someone of that ilk. Just for once!

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Here’s the Beniers scouching.

I think there’s only a couple unlikely scenarios we get him. Way to go, getting those late W’s and OTL’s to ruin our draft position, Detroit. :pb:

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Anyone change their opinions since the Black Book came out today?
I don't know about changing my opinion, but I'm certainly more interested in a few players in the 2nd that I hadn't given much time to. Players like Grushnikov, Buium, and Tyler Boucher. Where, if I hadn't read more on them, and the Wings took them in the 2nd, I would have been a little more flabbergasted than maybe I will be now.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Here’s the Beniers scouching.

I think there’s only a couple unlikely scenarios we get him. Way to go, getting those late W’s and OTL’s to ruin our draft position, Detroit. :pb:

It’s funny because if you were to ask me about how I would have felt about adding a player like Beniers at some point during the season (pretending I didn’t know who players were) I would have given it a big thumbs up. And now that we are sitting here, I can’t help but feel almost underwhelmed at the thought of picking him.

He is incredibly good at what he does, and I have no doubts at all about his NHL future. I just can’t help but feeling TOO safe. While I have outwardly stated that I am pushing Johnson down my ranking because I’m happier with the safer bets, I feel like I’m doing the same to Beniers for the opposite reason, and I’m not sure I completely understand it.

But on a semi-related note, I was listening to Winged Wheel passively this afternoon while mindlessly plugging away on some project at work, and they had Scott Wheeler on, and he said something that I think stood out to me, especially when I connected that comment with a comment I read by Mark Edwards on this site regarding Sillinger.

Scott said (of Eklund) that a lot of people will make something of his position. While there’s a good chance he ends up on the wing, you have to look at his peers and see how confident are you in any of them ending up as an impactful center. Sure, you’ve got Beniers, and I have faith in McTavish, although Scott also said that people who have worked with McTavish think he might be more suited for a winger just based on how he plays the game (aggressive on forecheck, not a guy who necessarily excels lugging the puck through the NZ). But when you look at Eklund or Johnson or McTavish or Sillinger, Coronato, etc. you aren’t really talking about anyone that comfortably projects as a center. Are you going to take Svechkov at 6 because he’s the first guy that is a true center? Probably not. Does that mean you HAVE to pick D because there’s no surefire center? No.

Same thing with Mark Edwards on Sillinger’s skating. He’s in a draft with very few high end skaters. Should we knock Sillinger way lower because he’s an average at best skater when his peers are only slightly better than average? I mean Sillinger is more skilled than a lot of his peers, and his skating is the one area that truly holds him back. In the case of Eklund, he’s more skilled than a majority of his peers, but positional value says he should be knocked some.

At what point do you take the class at face value? This isn’t a class that I’m likely getting a mobile center. I can make sacrifices in the quality of player based on how I see them just to get a center. Or I can get the better player and accept that the position won’t be ideal. I think this has been a big shift in the way I’m viewing guys like Eklund as a smaller winger, or McTavish and Sillinger not being all that impressive skaters. The something that is there is still more valuable to me than the things that seem to be behind the curve.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It’s funny because if you were to ask me about how I would have felt about adding a player like Beniers at some point during the season (pretending I didn’t know who players were) I would have given it a big thumbs up. And now that we are sitting here, I can’t help but feel almost underwhelmed at the thought of picking him.

He is incredibly good at what he does, and I have no doubts at all about his NHL future. I just can’t help but feeling TOO safe. While I have outwardly stated that I am pushing Johnson down my ranking because I’m happier with the safer bets, I feel like I’m doing the same to Beniers for the opposite reason, and I’m not sure I completely understand it.

But on a semi-related note, I was listening to Winged Wheel passively this afternoon while mindlessly plugging away on some project at work, and they had Scott Wheeler on, and he said something that I think stood out to me, especially when I connected that comment with a comment I read by Mark Edwards on this site regarding Sillinger.

Scott said (of Eklund) that a lot of people will make something of his position. While there’s a good chance he ends up on the wing, you have to look at his peers and see how confident are you in any of them ending up as an impactful center. Sure, you’ve got Beniers, and I have faith in McTavish, although Scott also said that people who have worked with McTavish think he might be more suited for a winger just based on how he plays the game (aggressive on forecheck, not a guy who necessarily excels lugging the puck through the NZ). But when you look at Eklund or Johnson or McTavish or Sillinger, Coronato, etc. you aren’t really talking about anyone that comfortably projects as a center. Are you going to take Svechkov at 6 because he’s the first guy that is a true center? Probably not. Does that mean you HAVE to pick D because there’s no surefire center? No.

Same thing with Mark Edwards on Sillinger’s skating. He’s in a draft with very few high end skaters. Should we knock Sillinger way lower because he’s an average at best skater when his peers are only slightly better than average? I mean Sillinger is more skilled than a lot of his peers, and his skating is the one area that truly holds him back. In the case of Eklund, he’s more skilled than a majority of his peers, but positional value says he should be knocked some.

At what point do you take the class at face value? This isn’t a class that I’m likely getting a mobile center. I can make sacrifices in the quality of player based on how I see them just to get a center. Or I can get the better player and accept that the position won’t be ideal. I think this has been a big shift in the way I’m viewing guys like Eklund as a smaller winger, or McTavish and Sillinger not being all that impressive skaters. The something that is there is still more valuable to me than the things that seem to be behind the curve.

And then what is the opposition to Guenther, if they are all wingers?

He checks more boxes than a lot of those guys.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The other thing that the Black Book did was make me kind of sad because I was hoping for Kolosov as a later round pick sleeper goalie. But it's looking like he's pretty highly thought of and could go earlier than I had hoped.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009

Now, that's interesting...because I'm almost the opposite on that spectrum. I am on record earlier this season at being a little upset with the prospect of a "safe" player like Beniers at 1, 2 or 3 overall. But that is when I thought the Wings would be forced to take him in that range. At #6? I'm running to the podium if he's still there. Even faster than with my boy Mason....

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And then what is the opposition to Guenther, if they are all wingers?

He checks more boxes than a lot of those guys.
Guenther is a winger, period. Mctavish is a center, but he could play any position except goalie. Eklund could be a center, but he's better at wing , because he create so much offensively, better let others help at defense. Both Eklund and Mctavish like to carry the puck . I whoud be upset if we take Guenther over Eklund or McTavish . I actually have a hard time to choose between McTavish and Eklund if both are available.
Mctavish and Eklund are drivers , while Guenther is more of a passenger

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
After watching the Coronato scouching the guy that Coronato reminds me of is Seth Jarvis. Tenacious little guys that are always moving their feet and make things happen by being smarter than everyone.

If he’s there at 22 I snag him. I personally think he goes between 9 and 15 though.
He's tops on my list for that 22 pick. Agree that he's likely to be long gone by then.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Guenther is a winger, period. Mctavish is a center, but he could play any position except goalie. Eklund could be a center, but he's better at wing , because he create so much offensively, better let others help at defense. Both Eklund and Mctavish like to carry the puck . I whoud be upset if we take Guenther over Eklund or McTavish . I actually have a hard time to choose between McTavish and Eklund if both are available.
Mctavish and Eklund are drivers , while Guenther is more of a passenger
I can think of very few circumstances where I would be upset with Guenther at 6. Maybe if we took him over Clarke I would be disappointed, but I think I'd get over it rather quickly. I'm still not sold on McT in the top 10.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad