Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft: The Home Stretch, Draft July 23-24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
He wasn't anywhere near my preference for the Wings, but holy cow...after reading the latest article about Clarke on the Athletic, I'm praying they stay far away. I mean, the fluff of the article is great, he's a driven player, people love him, his personal trainer thinks he's the hardest worker...blah blah blah. But then it goes into where he needs to improve and he is adamant that he doesn't think he needs to correct his skating.
“I don’t personally understand it,” said Clarke. “Everywhere I’ve been, I’ve been able to move pretty good. In Slovakia, I was playing against men and I was able to get around them, I don’t want to say with ease, but I was able to keep up with them. I could burn some defenceman wide. People say my stride is unorthodox, and maybe it is orthodox, but I’m in the right spot all the time. I think the game ahead of the play. People say I’m on my inside edges a lot, but I feel like that just saves me an extra half-second. I just lift one foot and I’m already ready to push one way and push the other way. Some people don’t realize that, they just say ‘Look, he’s riding his inside edges.’ But it’s actually me just bracing and saying, ‘I can go left or right now.’ Or I can just turn my ankles even a little bit more and start backpedaling.
“Maybe I don’t skate like Mathew Barzal, but I don’t really appreciate when people just see that I have a different style and they say, ‘Oh, that’s not going to work at the next level.’ It’s worked at the next level when I was in minor-midget, it worked when I was in the OHL, it worked in Slovakia and at the U18 tournament. When have I got burned? When have I been out of position? When has it ever really impacted me to the point that I looked out of place? That hasn’t happened yet. I don’t think that will happen. So I think I’m doing just fine in that department.”

Bzzzt, sorry, wrong answer kid. If his personal trainer is pumping up how physically fit and strong he is already (which being underdeveloped physically is one of the many excuses that I've heard about his skating stride) and he doesn't think he needs to adapt to be successful at the highest level (which people say both him and the team that takes him need to understand that it will take a lot of work to correct), then I have very real reservations about taking him.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
' THE BC SAGE ' (yzerman) confering with the hockey gods pre draft
* bc stands for yzermans home region of british columbia

istockphoto-183232310-612x612.jpg

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i like that clarke isnt a yes man . its like he said his supposed flaw in skating hasnt prevented him from rocking anywhere as of yet so why change it ? its not like everybodys bodys are the same and can move in thee exact same ways . he has his way of skating thats worked his entire life and now theres people saying hes skating wrong because his method doesnt fit their ideals ? well maybe his body type and way of thinking doesnt fit their design of skating mechanics

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He wasn't anywhere near my preference for the Wings, but holy cow...after reading the latest article about Clarke on the Athletic, I'm praying they stay far away. I mean, the fluff of the article is great, he's a driven player, people love him, his personal trainer thinks he's the hardest worker...blah blah blah. But then it goes into where he needs to improve and he is adamant that he doesn't think he needs to correct his skating.
“I don’t personally understand it,” said Clarke. “Everywhere I’ve been, I’ve been able to move pretty good. In Slovakia, I was playing against men and I was able to get around them, I don’t want to say with ease, but I was able to keep up with them. I could burn some defenceman wide. People say my stride is unorthodox, and maybe it is orthodox, but I’m in the right spot all the time. I think the game ahead of the play. People say I’m on my inside edges a lot, but I feel like that just saves me an extra half-second. I just lift one foot and I’m already ready to push one way and push the other way. Some people don’t realize that, they just say ‘Look, he’s riding his inside edges.’ But it’s actually me just bracing and saying, ‘I can go left or right now.’ Or I can just turn my ankles even a little bit more and start backpedaling.
“Maybe I don’t skate like Mathew Barzal, but I don’t really appreciate when people just see that I have a different style and they say, ‘Oh, that’s not going to work at the next level.’ It’s worked at the next level when I was in minor-midget, it worked when I was in the OHL, it worked in Slovakia and at the U18 tournament. When have I got burned? When have I been out of position? When has it ever really impacted me to the point that I looked out of place? That hasn’t happened yet. I don’t think that will happen. So I think I’m doing just fine in that department.”

Bzzzt, sorry, wrong answer kid. If his personal trainer is pumping up how physically fit and strong he is already (which being underdeveloped physically is one of the many excuses that I've heard about his skating stride) and he doesn't think he needs to adapt to be successful at the highest level (which people say both him and the team that takes him need to understand that it will take a lot of work to correct), then I have very real reservations about taking him.

Man, I don’t love reading this.

These guys are projecting you against the best players in the world. So even if it hasn’t hindered you to this point, that really doesn’t even matter in their eyes.

I would have liked a different mindset from him. But I also thought I had shit figured out at that age when that was anything but the case, so I don’t know.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

These guys are projecting you against the best players in the world. So even if it hasn’t hindered you to this point, that really doesn’t even matter in their eyes.

I would have liked a different mindset from him. But I also thought I had shit figured out at that age when that was anything but the case, so I don’t know.
Or this topic goes viral and Clarke falls to 22. I can think of worse projects to reclaim.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Maybe I'm naive but I don't mind those comments from Clarke. I don't really read that as a kid who is unwilling to put the work in to improve, I read it more as a kid who stands by his ability and his track record as a good junior player.

I won't pretend that I have no concerns about the way he skates, it is kind of bizarre how reliant he seems to be on his inner edges. But at the same time I'm not totally convinced that it's going to be a serious hindrance at the next level. Clarke might not be my very favorite prospect this draft, but I would say I'm a believer in his skill set.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Here’s the thing we don’t know.

Is he completely unreceptive to the comments of a coach or a GM or a player development staff?

The comments are scary to read, but this is really on the fringe. On one hand he’s selling himself, believes that his skating is not a limitation to the way he plays the game and thinks he can be successful. On the other hand, it does sound more like a “it’s not broken, so why try to fix it?” I don’t know if this is a situation of him being uncoachable or if it’s a situation of him trying to silence his critics and show confidence in his ability.

I think it also does show something that he has given thought to his skating and thinks that it has a value. It might be unorthodox, but if he is getting some value as he suggests he does…who am I to cut him down. He’s still really f***ing good despite the skating.

This is a weird one, and it makes me temper my excitement just a touch. He probably will not have positive opinions that come of this article and he may slide for many people who are still trying to lock down their final rankings

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
My opinion on the Clarke stuff.

He is in full defense mode! There are scouting reports calling him a full fledged ‘knock kneed’ skater.

Him and his agent are probably fearing a large fall on draft night considering this particular draft is more uncertain than any other recent draft!

I wouldn’t read anything into it. This kid will work hard to improve every aspect IMO.
But a couple weeks before the draft, he doesn’t want to say… “yeah I can’t skate and I have to re design my stride”. I don’t blame the kid for this.

I actually think he has a stride similiar to Ekblad (especially in Junior) who also looked a bit awkward and his knees/hips were more inwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My opinion on the Clarke stuff. This interview (his attitude) doesn’t concern me.

He is in full defense mode! There are scouting reports calling him a full fledged ‘knock kneed’ skater.

Him and his agent are probably fearing a large fall on draft night considering this particular draft is more uncertain that any other recent draft!

I wouldn’t read anything into it. This kid will work hard to improve every aspect IMO.
But a couple weeks before the draft, he doesn’t want to say… “yeah I can’t skate and I have to re design my stride”. I don’t blame the kid for this.

I actually think he has a stride similiar to Ekblad (especially in Junior) who also looked a bit awkward and his knees/hips were more inwards.

I don’t know, I look at Ben Simmons this many years into his career still not having a jump shot.

And obviously he never thought it was an issue, and he was wrong.

I would rather hear it’s on their radar, and although they don’t believe it hinders them now, they plan on improving it.

It’s the confidence in themselves where they don’t feel they need to that worries me.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I don’t know, I look at Ben Simmons this many years into his career still not having a jump shot.

And obviously he never thought it was an issue, and he was wrong.

I would rather hear it’s on their radar, and although they don’t believe it hinders them now, they plan on improving it.

It’s the confidence in themselves where they don’t feel they need to that worries me.

I see where your head is at with the Simmons comp, but it actually made me think of Saddiq Bey. In his draft year there were concerns about his kind of wonky jumper mechanics but ultimately he's been able to get his shots off and hit at a good clip.

It's a tough one with Clarke. If you draft him and the skating isn't a hindrance and he's this electric top pairing point producer, you look like a genius. But if you draft him high and the skating does hold him back you like a dumbass because it was such a well-documented trait in his draft year.

I'm very curious to see who ends up rolling the dice with this kid.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
There is more to it then comparing it to a jump shot. Clarke can already skate very effectively.

People are saying he has a ‘knock kneed’ stride.
Or Inwards pointing hips and knees.

Would be more like asking someone to redesign their running stride. Even though they run well.

More than that even.
Because you can easily alter your stride length and landing point of your feet.
I guess it would be like asking someone to alter the angle of their hips and knees while they run.
Your bone and muscle structure almost doesn’t allow you to do that. Unless you wore some Forrest gump knee braces as a kid to realign your growing frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: William Rusco

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tinfoil hat time. There's a team at 8 or 9 that wants Clarke but isn't sure if he will still be available. So they pay him to tank his stock a bit with these comments and there he is on draft night.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought Craig Button’s rankings were dropping this week?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Tinfoil hat time. There's a team at 8 or 9 that wants Clarke but isn't sure if he will still be available. So they pay him to tank his stock a bit with these comments and there he is on draft night.
When a lifetime supply of Hot-N-Ready's + Crazy Bread is on the table, you don't ask questions, you just go with it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Poor Clarke. Goes from an amazing U18, his stock never higher, and seemingly falls off the draft board because he doesn't skate like McDavid or a Hughes sibling.
Get on your rollerblade, skate knock kneed then try crossing over while skating knock kneed. Make sure you wear pads, lol.

Teams will make their decision based on their own interview, but this interview drops Clarke down out of the top 10 for me. Do not want him with the #6 pick.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

My god. That is about as bad of a response as he could have given. Just brutal. The last thing I want out of a high first round pick is someone who is defensive, petulant and lacking self awareness. If he can't handle being criticized about his skating in his draft year (an obvious weakness), how the hell do you expect him to handle the real criticism that comes with being a professional athlete. It is impossible to get better without acknowledging the need to get better. I pointed out earlier this year that his skating really hasn't changed all that much over the last two years. Almost no technical progress. Now we know why it hasn't.

It is too bad. He is a really smart and skilled hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad