2021 Florida Panthers off-season thread. Free Agent Frenzy July 28th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
What’s the projection for Lundell? How did he do last year? Didn’t keep up too much with the prospects. Is he a shoe in for the 3c spot or still some questions?

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
What’s the projection for Lundell? How did he do last year? Didn’t keep up too much with the prospects. Is he a shoe in for the 3c spot or still some questions?

From what I've seen I'd say its pretty sure he's going to make our lineup next year. I can see him starting on the third line and then eventually becoming our second line center long-term. Although, I guess that depends on how well he performs at training camp.

Reactions: VijayPatel11

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
From what I've seen I'd say its pretty sure he's going to make our lineup next year. I can see him starting on the third line and then eventually becoming our second line center long-term. Although, I guess that depends on how well he performs at training camp.
That and the season is long, Luosta ran out of steam, hope Lundell is aerobically fully recovered from his covid bout and can last the full season. But I suspect it’ll be hard for him. Barky ran on fumes at the end of the season until the last couple of years. Of course, Lundell probably won’t get as much ice time as Barky did when he started but still it’s something to watch.

Reactions: MillarWithASave

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
I think the comparison of Wenny and Vatrano is interesting. If you could only keep one (ignoring using Vatrano in a trade — just comparing the players), which one? Assume the money is about the same.

I think majority will say Vatrano but I’m not totally sold on that because Wennberg is better on D and much better playmaker.

I love Vatrano and am a bit meh on Wennberg. However as the team is shaping up right now, I have to say Wennberg is the better fit. Assuming you can trade Vatrano and sign Wennberg to a solig cheap-ish deal. Having him on the third with Lundell could be massive. Wennberg is good defensivly and is exactly what Lundell could do with as the new guy. Also in case Lundell needs time in the AHL, Wennberg can step in as the C there. Though Vatrano offers more speed and a bit of grit, ideally both of them with Lundell would be nice, but I see Duclair on the third next season (at least to start), which leaves little room for Vatrano I think. Hornqvist is the guy that is well and truly the odd man out right now but would not be surprised to see him on that line next season...escpecially if both Wennberg and Vatrano is gone.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I think our D is fine. Don't see us really adding much more to be honest. This roster is good enough to get into playoffs. Save assets for deadline you address whatever we need.

Yeah no point forcing it. If you can make a decent deal for a guy like Sutter or Martinez, fine, but overpaying especially in term would be pointless. Now that Yandle is out of the lineup you can roll six guys more naturally and plug in Kiersted/Juulsen/Gildon/Ludvig when guys get injured or need a break.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Zito just interviewed, says "he's speaking with both agents for both Sam's.
Both sides seem open and receptive to term to stay in FLA"

As for free agent market, says "they will of course look and see what's available but more or less said he's happy with what they have right now and doesn't want to mess with it too much"

Surprised he didn't say anything about defense, so maybe he's fine with Nuti, Gudas and Stralman as the bottom 3 guys.

Zito is a GM, who rarely tips his hand. We gave up high draft choices for Bennet and Reinhart with the hope/expectation of resigning them. Saying "will of course look and see what's available" in free agency likewise means/ indicates nothing. The best indicators are the roster and the salary cap. Assuming that we sign Bennet and Reinhart, the roster on offense is overcrowded with Denisenko and Lundel expected to make the team so Vatrano is likely being traded.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
That and the season is long, Luosta ran out of steam, hope Lundell is aerobically fully recovered from his covid bout and can last the full season. But I suspect it’ll be hard for him. Barky ran on fumes at the end of the season until the last couple of years. Of course, Lundell probably won’t get as much ice time as Barky did when he started but still it’s something to watch.
I'm expecting all the teams to do a lot of line juggling to make it through the season, we're in a pretty good spot for that in terms of centers.

Barkov
Reinhart
Bennett
Lundell
Verhaeghe
Luostarinen
Schwindt
4C (UFA signing)
Acciari

Reactions: floridada

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I think our D is fine. Don't see us really adding much more to be honest.

Disagree. Nutivaara was not great last season and we still have unbalanced pairings. Maybe I'm being a stickler but we're going to feel the pinch on the back-end when the injury bug eventually bites. We've got two or three tweeners on D who are starting to look ready, sure, but I'd rather we come out with a solid roster from top to bottom on day 1 instead of making a move during the season.

We have such a glut of forwards right now I just don't understand why Zito wouldn't at least be exploring a trade for a LHD.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
so pending ufas ? Lindholm, Giordano, DeHaan, Ekholm. Price is prob up from Ristolainen. Year after that ufas is even worse. Suter wouldnt cost any assents as of now quick look with Nuti dealt i got about 4.5M left with full roster for him.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Disagree. Nutivaara was not great last season and we still have unbalanced pairings. Maybe I'm being a stickler but we're going to feel the pinch on the back-end when the injury bug eventually bites. We've got two or three tweeners on D who are starting to look ready, sure, but I'd rather we come out with a solid roster from top to bottom on day 1 instead of making a move during the season.

We have such a glut of forwards right now I just don't understand why Zito wouldn't at least be exploring a trade for a LHD.

To clarify, I think our D is good enough for the regular season to get into the playoffs. It's not good enough to go deep into the playoffs, but we can add to that later.

I'd be happy to add someone like sutter, but only at a reasonable price and term.

Reactions: FormerPantherFan

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
The only issue I have with some granting Lundell an NHL roster spot immediately is the size of the NHL ice. The ice is smaller in the NHL then in Europe so it may take some time for him to adjust to it. Less room to roam, less open ice to make plays.

Not saying he won't make the opening night roster, but that it may take an adjustment period.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
he was very good until he got the covid at the Euro hockey tournament in Sweden. After he had recovered the virus got spread in his team HIFK, which meant that there were no games and the team had to start play-offs without a lot of team practices or games. Hence, after a long break he wasn't playing at the same level in play-offs what he had done earlier in the season but in World Championships he was good again, by far the best Finnish player in some games. Finland lost to Canada 2-3 in overtime and got silver.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
No I like offense spread out like this better. Gives lundell real playmaking talent to work with as well which is important

Reinhart is too good to have on the 3rd line
Plus he is an RW / C

With the way Q juggles lines night in and night out, as annoying as it can be, you guys are kind of having a moot argument. There's no way of telling what the line combos are going to be on any given night. The only thing we know is that Barkov is on the top line and that Bennett and Huberdeau are together. Literally everything else is up in the air. It's better to think in terms of depth charts than line combos with Q, it would seem.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
With the way Q juggles lines night in and night out, as annoying as it can be, you guys are kind of having a moot argument. There's no way of telling what the line combos are going to be on any given night. The only thing we know is that Barkov is on the top line and that Bennett and Huberdeau are together. Literally everything else is up in the air. It's better to think in terms of depth charts than line combos with Q, it would seem.
Well, Verhaege should be a fixture on Barky's wing if history is any indicator...

Reactions: Clint

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Per LeBrun in The Athletic, when speaking about Zito, and the Reinhart acquisition:

In the meantime, I believe the Panthers are very close to re-signing RFA Sam Bennett and Carter Verhaeghe, who has another year left on his deal but can be extended as of Wednesday. I believe you’ll see both those deals announced this week.

Was coming to post this… Got beaten grrrrr… :D

LeBrun also quoted his interview with Zito, Bill saying that Reinhart was a long sought after acquisition, they talked a lot about him in their pro meetings for a long time apparently…

And with Bill’s confidence in getting the guy, and Reinhart’s comments since the trade, pretty sure that extension will come soon enough too !

If Zito gets Reinhart, Bennett, Verhaeghe AND Barkov extended in the same week… That man will really need a statue outside of the arena !

And Viola would have to be crowned our best owner yet too…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad