2021 Florida Panthers off-season thread. Free Agent Frenzy July 28th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Boston or Arizona. I wonder for how much though: if it’s Arizona he screwed us jntentjknally

Totally understand! :)
We added that word to our Canadian vocabulary this past year.

i thought he could be a good fit in boston for a lot of reasons. i was reading the sweeney thread on the main boards though and folks blanched at the idea of signing him.

Would make for a great end to his career to break the record at home.
BOS fans hated him at $6 mil but have seen some be okay if he's around $2 mil per.

Reactions: zeroG

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Zito just interviewed, says "he's speaking with both agents for both Sam's.
Both sides seem open and receptive to term to stay in FLA"

As for free agent market, says "they will of course look and see what's available but more or less said he's happy with what they have right now and doesn't want to mess with it too much"

Surprised he didn't say anything about defense, so maybe he's fine with Nuti, Gudas and Stralman as the bottom 3 guys.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

As for free agent market, says "they will of course look and see what's available but more or less said he's happy with what they have right now and doesn't want to mess with it too much"

Surprised he didn't say anything about defense, so maybe he's fine with Nuti, Gudas and Stralman as the bottom 3 guys.
I could see a much better year from nutti. He wasn’t healthy looked weak and unsure all year. I think a good offseason will get him back on track. He has never been nowhere near as bad as he was last year with Columbus

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I could see a much better year from nutti. He wasn’t healthy looked weak and unsure all year. I think a good offseason will get him back on track. He has never been nowhere near as bad as he was last year with Columbus

Definitely agree, he'll be motivated to earn a new multi year deal too, maybe here or elsewhere.
He had Covid and lost training/practice time

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Our D started getting better. Now with Ek back and KY not back, we improved substantially in two positions. If the other D get ready for the season, and with the depth D pieces, we’ll quite possibly be just fine for the season start.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Hi guys and girls!

So what's the deal with Wennberg? Are you going to re-sign him or not? Do you know what he's asking for?

He had a decent season with you, he scored a lot of goals (compared to his past seasons).

How was he defensively?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hi guys and girls!

So what's the deal with Wennberg? Are you going to re-sign him or not? Do you know what he's asking for?

He had a decent season with you, he scored a lot of goals (compared to his past seasons).

How was he defensively?

I don't see him being re-signed now. Just too many forwards and we will need every dollar to sign Bennett and Reinhart. Friedman also says we are really making a push for Suter, so I dont know how we are gonna have dollars for Wenny. He's above average defensively but nothing earth shattering. He's poor on faceoffs.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hi guys and girls!

How was he defensively?

We don't really have room to bring him back now unless Vatrano is moved.

No rumblings of what he's asking, Zito said he's been in contact with the UFA's but may circle back

He's 27 in September, coming off his best year in 4 years.
Not sure if he prefers another short term deal but he may be forced into it to fully show last year wasn't a fluke at just under .5 ppg.

Maybe 2 years x $3 million, or just under it? as a 3C or 3rd line winger.
He can play 2C in a pinch but not recommended for full year.
Decent defensively, still has good to great speed.
Was horrible on faceoffs to start the year but got better as year went on.
Wouldn't count on 20+ goals, think he just got lucky in that department but 10-13 goals/35ish pts should be doable

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I don't see him being re-signed now. Just too many forwards and we will need every dollar to sign Bennett and Reinhart. Friedman also says we are really making a push for Suter, so I dont know how we are gonna have dollars for Wenny. He's above average defensively but nothing earth shattering. He's poor on faceoffs.
Alright, thanks.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
What are we expecting the lineup to look like now on opening night should everyone be healthy?
Ver/bark/duc
Hub/bennett/Tippett
Rein/lundell/vatrano
March/acciari/horny
A lot of flexibility here with guys that can play all over. Deni full year in ahl. Or if lundell is t ready deni can play 3w and reinhart can play c or switch Bennett and reinhart. So many options

Reactions: Dr Danglefest

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think the comparison of Wenny and Vatrano is interesting. If you could only keep one (ignoring using Vatrano in a trade — just comparing the players), which one? Assume the money is about the same.

I think majority will say Vatrano but I’m not totally sold on that because Wennberg is better on D and much better playmaker.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think the comparison of Wenny and Vatrano is interesting. If you could only keep one (ignoring using Vatrano in a trade — just comparing the players), which one? Assume the money is about the same.

I think majority will say Vatrano but I’m not totally sold on that because Wennberg is better on D and much better playmaker.

Wennberg is a better player but since he's a UFA that makes the decision easy.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I keep trying to like the idea of Suter coming our way but I haven’t warmed up to it yet.

At the very least I’d need to know he’ll play physical and say he gets a two year deal that he’ll look at it as the best chance he’s ever had to win the cup. I want him mentally committed 100%. Then I’d be okay. That’s my hang up.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I keep trying to like the idea of Suter coming our way but I haven’t warmed up to it yet.

At the very least I’d need to know he’ll play physical and say he gets a two year deal that he’ll look at it as the best chance he’s ever had to win the cup. I want him mentally committed 100%. Then I’d be okay. That’s my hang up.

If he's coming here it's because he's decided that the Panthers give him the best chance.at a Cup, he wants a Cup. He's never been that physical but he's been one of the top defensive D-men over the last 20 years. That's what we need.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Ver/bark/duc
Hub/bennett/Tippett
Rein/lundell/vatrano
March/acciari/horny
A lot of flexibility here with guys that can play all over. Deni full year in ahl. Or if lundell is t ready deni can play 3w and reinhart can play c or switch Bennett and reinhart. So many options
swap reinhart and duclair

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
He showed promise near the end of the season and really started to turn his game around. He even looked decent in a couple of Tampa games but was also outmatched badly at times.

I'm willing to keep him as a bottom pairing guy but I still feel this team needs a proper partner for Ekblad or Weegar because Forsling is a lock for that #3 role but I don't see anyone else on the roster that I'd be comfortable in giving them top 4 minutes when defense was by far the position we need to upgrade the most.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Has anyone run the numbers on what this team could look like for the 22 and 23 seasons when Barkov Huberdeau and Weegar need deals?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I think our D is fine. Don't see us really adding much more to be honest. This roster is good enough to get into playoffs. Save assets for deadline you address whatever we need.

Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad