Speculation: 2021-22 Trade Thread VI : Who's your Dadonov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If Steel would have panned out like we hoped we would have been in a much better place and would be now.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Steel being rushed, which is kind of absurd but it's bsu, what did you expect?

Based upon BSU's statement, I would disagree with you.

I think we're all disappointed with how Steel turned out. I was all hyped about our future with Terry and Steel's 2016-17 season. Terry was nicknamed Mr. 5-hole and Steel put up 131 pts in 66 games. In 2018-19, both scored 41 points in their first season in the AHL; Terry did it in 41 games and Steel in 53 games. Steel also played in that season's AHL playoffs where he scored 13 pts (6g, 7a) in 16 playoff games. Both of them proved to be too good for the AHL.

Terry's big scoring potential finally surfaced in the NHL last year, five years after that 2016-17 season and four years of being in the pros. Steel forgot how to play hockey.

It's a shame about Steel. Yet, it does show there's a huge threshold between the AHL and NHL. I do like Steel's story about his brother, his current NHL number, and hope he can carve a niche in the NHL. Maybe he needs a new org to clear up his mind a bit. I like the Steel the person, but I feel terrible about Steel the hockey player.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think there's an argument he should've spent more time in the AHL, although I don't think its a great one, but that's much different than saying that a guy with a pretty typical progression was rushed. Kind of giving it away by misrepresenting things(a guy who played in over 80% of Gulls games did not have a half year there) but even the people who wanted Steel to play more in the AHL didn't usually think he wasn't ready, it was about going back just to build some confidence and come right back.

Steel needed a breather from the NHL, but he was tied to Eakins' hip. The odd part is that Eakins did send Terry back to the AHL in his second year as a pro, but Steel never did when he needed it as much as Terry. I think there was/is some nepotism there between Eakins and Steel, especially when he was waiver exempt.

The same type of nepotism happened last year with Comtois. Comtois was waiver exempt, but was never sent down to build some confidence to come back. Fortunately, Comtois did find some game at the end of the season that could point to improvement. That is still unknown. Still, why didn't Comtois get sent down for a spell when he deserved it like Steel deserved it? I just point to Eakins' nepotism and belief that Steel and Comtois are NHLers.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Some pretty hardline statements from Gibson:

Here's a bit:

“I think in the summertime you always see rumors and all that,” the goalie said. “It doesn’t really bother me. I wanted to let it be known that it’s not true. When I signed my extension in Anaheim however many years ago, I said I’d be honored to play in the same city and be a part of the same organization my whole career. I still have all my intentions on doing that."

I guess the situation can be interpreted in one of two ways - the media is conjuring rumors for clicks or Gibson is lying. Either way I don't expect everyone to agree, but it seems pretty obvious to me which is more likely.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm not misrepresenting anything. He has 53 career AHL games and it wasn't like he was over ppg either.

I was one of the people that was hyped for him and excited for his first full season after he had a promising end to his first pro year, but he forsure should have been sent down during the 19-20 season.

The fact that he wasn't is a perfect example for how the Ducks mishandled his development. Then the year after they wanted him to focus on his defensive game and faceoffs.
I mean, you definitely did. You called it a half season, which it wasn't at all, implying he was barely there. Actually, he had more or less a full year there, with two short NHL trials. You're now also kind of downplaying how he did. No he wasn't a PPG but he was close, overall was very good and was one of their better players on a deep playoff run.

There's no for sure about it, there's an equally good argument there was nothing really for him in the AHL and he definitely wasn't rushed.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I mean, you definitely did. You called it a half season, which it wasn't at all, implying he was barely there. Actually, he had more or less a full year there, with two short NHL trials. You're now also kind of downplaying how he did. No he wasn't a PPG but he was close, overall was very good and was one of their better players on a deep playoff run.

There's no for sure about it, there's an equally good argument there was nothing really for him in the AHL and he definitely wasn't rushed.

I said half instead of 3/4 and that means I'm intentionally misrepresenting? I guess you are also since he had 4 call ups that year, not 2... smh
He played 77.9% of a full AHL season where he was at a .77 PPG.

Are you honestly telling me that he learned all he could in the AHL in 53 games and a playoff run?
And considering his lack of development from that year, I would say the proof is in the pudding that he was rushed and could have developed longer in the AHL.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Regardless of whether Gibson wants out or not, I still expect Verbeek to listen to offers on him. Not sure how likely it is he moves, but if someone makes an offer we can't refuse Gibson will be gone IMO

As long as the team trying to acquire him isn't on his no-trade list, definitely maybe.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I said half instead of 3/4 and that means I'm intentionally misrepresenting? I guess you are also since he had 4 call ups that year, not 2... smh
He played 77.9% of a full AHL season where he was at a .77 PPG.

Are you honestly telling me that he learned all he could in the AHL in 53 games and a playoff run?
And considering his lack of development from that year, I would say the proof is in the pudding that he was rushed and could have developed longer in the AHL.
Uh, yeah? Why else say half? I said two trials because I read too fast but considering the other two callus were for one and two games respectively it doesn't really alter my argument whereas that's kind of a crux of yours.

And for the most part, yeah. There's no proof in the pudding, what was another year in the AHL gonna do? It wasn't gonna make him grow bigger or make him skate faster so it's tough to see how it would radically change anything. The best argument is that it would help his confidence and that's a tenuous one at best.

Either way, again this is irrelevant. Once again, there's a difference between saying he should've spent more time in the AHL and saying he was rushed.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Regardless of whether Gibson wants out or not, I still expect Verbeek to listen to offers on him. Not sure how likely it is he moves, but if someone makes an offer we can't refuse Gibson will be gone IMO

I agree. Which is exactly what he should do on any veteran right now IMO.

For me, the "meter" on should we definitely trade Gibson or not completely depends on variables we don't know. I know some have said (quite adamant in fact) they think PV is tearing it down more. While others (I think Stephens is one of them based off his recent articles) think the Ducks are in the latter part of the rebuild. Where it's not time to spend huge money on players in their upper 20's or low 30's, but far enough along to add younger pieces to the core if they're available.

If we're in the first scenario; I think you've got to trade Gibson. You trade him for the best package you can get. If we're in the latter, I still think you consider trading him for the right offer, but it's not quite as necessary.

Reactions: DavidBL

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Guesses on the teams Gibson would have on his NTC?

My guess would be:
Arizona
Seattle
Ottawa
Columbus
Chicago
Montreal
Edmonton
Vancouver
Buffalo
Winnipeg

I think he might waive for one or two of the teams on here, but these would be my guesses on his current list.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

My guess would be:
Arizona
Seattle
Ottawa
Columbus
Chicago
Montreal
Edmonton
Vancouver
Buffalo
Winnipeg

I think he might waive for one or two of the teams on here, but these would be my guesses on his current list.

my guess is that he doesn't have Winnipeg or Vancouver on there, because they don't need a goalie so wouldn't trade for him.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

My guess would be:
Arizona
Seattle
Ottawa
Columbus
Chicago
Montreal
Edmonton
Vancouver
Buffalo
Winnipeg

My guess is he may waive for Edmonton if he wants to win (Edmonton could do some damage with a goalie who doesn't let in every second shot).

Reactions: Duck Off

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

My guess would be:
Arizona
Seattle
Ottawa
Columbus
Chicago
Montreal
Edmonton
Vancouver
Buffalo
Winnipeg

My guess is his list would be very similar to Dadonovs, every team in a state/country where the taxes suck. Then eliminate teams that are good on goalies.

OTT
TOR - may waive
MTL
LAK
SJS
WPG
VAN
NJD - may waive
PHI
CGY - probably set in net
EDM - may waive
BUF

Strategically remove 2 more teams from that list and that would be my bet.

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Uh, yeah? Why else say half? I said two trials because I read too fast but considering the other two callus were for one and two games respectively it doesn't really alter my argument whereas that's kind of a crux of yours.

And for the most part, yeah. There's no proof in the pudding, what was another year in the AHL gonna do? It wasn't gonna make him grow bigger or make him skate faster so it's tough to see how it would radically change anything. The best argument is that it would help his confidence and that's a tenuous one at best.

Either way, again this is irrelevant. Once again, there's a difference between saying he should've spent more time in the AHL and saying he was rushed.
Because I didnt look at the exact number before making that post, and the extra 27% of the season that he played doesn't change my opinion that he should have been in the AHL longer.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I hope all these rumors are going to light a fire under Gibby's ass and we're going to have a Vezina-caliber goalie this year. Even though it would hurt our draft picks, it would probably go a long way towards encouraging UFAs to sign with us next off-season.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
re: Steel - Not every prospect who fails is rushed. Most prospects fail. That's just the way it goes.

re: Gibson - I didn't want to sign him to this contract and I don't think it's likely (not impossible, just unlikely) he ever recaptures the magic of his prime years, but at this point I'd just as soon keep him. There's a diminishing return on second-tier assets and we're about as loaded on them as you can get, and I don't think he returns premium assets (top-10 picks or their equivalent in a prospect). I won't be mad if they do trade him, but I don't think it moves the needle much for us.

Reactions: Deuce22

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
To me the Gibby talk has always reminded me of how Doughty talked in LA. He's wants to win but would prefer to do it here.

Side note. Thoughts of an OD for Kappo? Worth targeting player via trade or OS?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m all for keeping Gibby but he has to play better. Yeah the team was shit in front of him but still.

If Verbeek is going to improve this roster and the kids progress, need to get some of that pre-ASG Gibby. I just don’t know what happened. Even with Manson and Lindholm still here he was not playing well.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I’m all for keeping Gibby but he has to play better. Yeah the team was shit in front of him but still.

If Verbeek is going to improve this roster and the kids progress, need to get some of that pre-ASG Gibby. I just don’t know what happened. Even with Manson and Lindholm still here he was not playing well.
Agreed. Though I think Duckie did post stats of Gibby with and without 1 of those 2 and they seemed telling to me.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad