Speculation: 2021-22 Trade Thread VI : Who's your Dadonov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Indeed. But usually that doesn’t happen when you’re slated to be a bottom 3 team in the league.
Well I wouldn’t recommend all the assets, I think it’s more about timing…. The cap situation hasn’t increased as much as it was predicted to because of Covid, leaving a lot of teams with potential top line players they can’t keep, that might not be as common the next few year(there will be some teams with issues but not nearly as many as this year I imagine, so if it’s available why wait.

I think we both agree we need to find help for terry + zegras…. If a guy like fiala is available for the right price why not. I just can’t imagine PV saw our asset pool, added a bunch more picks and prospects and was thinking can’t wait to make all those picks, and keep all the stuff I inherited(prospect wise)…. He’s gunna make a move or 2 for sure this offseason

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zegras isn’t #1 center yet.
Mctavish may potentially be a #2 C but he’s how many years away from being that if ever? Same response with Drysdale .

You can’t pencil in either Comtios or Perrault in the top 6 right now. This team legitimately needs an entire 2nd line, another top line winger, at least 1 top pairing defensemen, and at least another legit top 4 guy (even if you pencil Drysdale in the top 4 which I don’t agree with) .

Z is a lower end 1C, upper end 2C on his production alone. This with not the best ideal line-mates most of the season. He needs to work on his full 200 foot game and taking face offs then he can take the next step to being a Top C in the league. With his confidence and work ethics I’m confident he can do it.

McTavish has high end 2C potential. Would like to see him on a wing with Rico and Terry and he can learn to take face offs from Rico. He is over 55% in the dot. Will develop his offensive game up there but will have support with Henrique there. Can also put him on Lundy’s wing as well.

As per Drysdale he had some great games and some very bad ones. He is still only 19 yo till later this month so this is what is expected of a rookie D on a team with no depth. D take time to develop on the NHL level, and think him and Fowler have been decent. But he needs a physical D with him who can grind it out, clear the crease and win puck battles on the board so he can then transition the puck to offense.

I think they need two Top 6 guys not including McTavish, two D who can compliment Fowler and Drysdale. A couple of #4’s are sufficient, and they need to replace Shattenkirk which I think that will be Helleson when he is ready.

Reactions: DavidBL

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
Z is a lower end 1C, upper end 2C on his production alone. This with not the best ideal line-mates most of the season. He needs to work on his full 200 foot game and taking face offs then he can take the next step to being a Top C in the league. With his confidence and work ethics I’m confident he can do it.

McTavish has high end 2C potential. Would like to see him on a wing with Rico and Terry and he can learn to take face offs from Rico. He is over 55% in the dot. Will develop his offensive game up there but will have support with Henrique there. Can also put him on Lundy’s wing as well.

As per Drysdale he had some great games and some very bad ones. He is still only 19 yo till later this month so this is what is expected of a rookie D on a team with no depth. D take time to develop on the NHL level, and think him and Fowler have been decent. But he needs a physical D with him who can grind it out, clear the crease and win puck battles on the board so he can then transition the puck to offense.

I think they need two Top 6 guys not including McTavish, two D who can compliment Fowler and Drysdale. A couple of #4’s are sufficient, and they need to replace Shattenkirk which I think that will be Helleson when he is ready.
I don’t agree with much of this. Anaheim has young players with potential. Until that potential is realized, that’s all it is, potential.

Zegras is not a #1 center, not even a low end one. Tbh I’d categorize him as only a mediocre #2 center right now, mostly because he’s a straight liability in his own zone. Might he become a #1 center? Certainly. That doesn’t really change the calculus a whole lot tho in terms of the million holes this team needs to fill.

Adding two #4 level defensemen means the defense will be worse than it was this year. Adding only two top 6 forwards means the forward group will be maybe marginally better than it was this year(and it’s been real bad this year upfront)

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I don't think Zegras is a #1C and I'm his biggest fan on here. He needs to learn how to win faceoffs and play without the puck on his stick mainly in the neutral and D zone.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Expansion teams don't have a handful of top young NHL players, a top-3 prospect pool and nearly a dozen extra early picks. We are better off than an expansion team.

I get the worry that we could be in for a long, long funk though. It's definitely plausible.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
NHL teams can get pretty flexible in their forward duties. Ideally Zegras gets better at faceoffs eventually, and you can always give someone else the heavier defensive responsibility. Whether you call him a C or a W he will be performing the same function in the offensive zone

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don’t agree with much of this. Anaheim has young players with potential. Until that potential is realized, that’s all it is, potential.

Zegras is not a #1 center, not even a low end one. Tbh I’d categorize him as only a mediocre #2 center right now, mostly because he’s a straight liability in his own zone. Might he become a #1 center? Certainly. That doesn’t really change the calculus a whole lot tho in terms of the million holes this team needs to fill.

Adding two #4 level defensemen means the defense will be worse than it was this year. Adding only two top 6 forwards means the forward group will be maybe marginally better than it was this year(and it’s been real bad this year upfront)
Zegras is debatable. You obviously are putting a lot of weight on his D zone play and it absolutely should be criticized. I'm unsure if it's enough to drop him to a mediocre 2c Though. He's not anywhere near an elite 1c but I do t think we are expecting a Crosby, Malkin or someone like that.

As for the D I think you underestimate the difference. Top in skill is down. For sure but we added 2 young D in trades that make us deeper which was our major issue. Depending on who we get we have more defined roles too. Lindholm is a great player but he likes to have the puck too. Drysdale was not able to cover him like Manson used to or like how Lindholm covered for Drysdale. A role player who knows he supposed to allow Drysdale to do his thing and focus on the D side could yield better results then we saw with Lindholm even though Lindholm is the better player. The same goes for Fowlers partner. Fowler and Manson were used as the match up pair this season and were relatively successful. I'd day. Vaks pushes Benoit to "7 and not splitting time as the #6 and Helleson and maybe even Lacomb/Thrun give us more callup options. Now of course thats the ideal situation but it gives allows us to cover injuries better than this year.

Edit: A player I like the thought of poaching is Patches from Vegas. He's solid defensively and only a year left on his deal.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The problem is we already have a pretty top notch prospect pool…. Eventually you have to start using assets for results now
I think that’s 2-3 years away. Look at Rob Blake, the Kings are a likely lower seed playoff team and he still refuses to part with any of his top 10 prospects for immediate help.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Eventually does not mean this summer.
I disagree. That's too reactionary IMO. I think it's more prudent to add talent when it's available and when you can. You don't know who will be available when you're "ready" if the guy you want is there you go get him I think.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
A 5th round pick is our best player (that half of you thought was useless last season), and our best DEFENSIVE defensemen is Cam Fowler. That's all you need to know about the current state of the Ducks. Comtois, Milano, and almost every other forward is replaceable. Everyone on defense is replaceable including Drysdale who I believe should be in SD leading that team with the puck on his stick way more and playing all situations (PK, PP, end of game). Honestly the only players I would be mad if we traded at this time are Drysdale, Zegras and Terry. Fowler is a very useful defensemen but lets be honest he's not great defensively and he's not great offensively he's a huge minute eater with elite skating and transition abilities. Trading Lindholm and to a lesser extent Manson/Des just made me want to start a full rebuild, we won't be competing for years. The whole "middle of a rebuild" thing Verbeek tried to sell us was full of shit, we are not where close and I personally don't think he's going to do anything to replace Lindholm/Manson/Rakell/Des to make us compete in the next 1-3 years. I never trust a brand new GM in any sport until they show me they know what they are doing. It's a lot different being the assistant and giving ideas to getting full control and making the final call on things. I will stay positive and hope for the best but I am also a realist. We suck and are going to suck for a while, I hope the first thing he does is fire Eakins.

Last edited:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
A 5th round pick is our best player (that half of you thought was useless last season), and our best DEFENSIVE defensemen is Cam Fowler. That's all you need to know about the current state of the Ducks. Comtois, Milano, and almost every other forward is replaceable. Everyone on defense is replaceable including Drysdale who I believe should be in SD leading that team with the puck on his stick way more and playing all situations (PK, PP, end of game). Honestly the only players I would be mad if we traded at this time are Drysdale, Zegras and Terry. Fowler is a very useful defensemen but lets be honest he's not great defensively and he's not great offensively he's a huge minute eater with elite skating and transition abilities. Trading Lindholm and to a lesser extent Manson/Des just made me want to start a full rebuild, we won't be competing for years. The whole "middle of a rebuild" thing Verbeek tried to sell us was full of shit, we are not where close and I personally don't think he's going to do anything to replace Lindholm/Manson/Rakell/Des to make us compete in the next 1-3 years. I never trust a brand new GM in any sport until they show me they know what they are doing. It's a lot different being the assistant and giving ideas to getting full control and making the final call on things. I will stay positive and hope for the best but I am also a realist. We suck and are going to suck for a while, I hope the first thing he does is fire Eakins.
I'm skeptical but we have to wait till the summer to see what PV does. I'm not hopeful though.

Reactions: KyleJRM

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I disagree. That's too reactionary IMO. I think it's more prudent to add talent when it's available and when you can. You don't know who will be available when you're "ready" if the guy you want is there you go get him I think.
The talent acquisition has to be part of a larger plan though. You can always get talent if you're willing to pay for it. For better or worse, Verbeek is assembling a puzzle and right now many pieces that are out there talent-wise do not fit with what he wants to do. Acquiring a 24 or 26 year-old today (most common names are Chychrun and Fiala) may make the team modestly better now but at what cost? And how does it make the team look in 3-5 years? That is what Verbeek is paid to think about and I suspect he won't make any big moves this summer unless it is to divest the team of more parts that he doesn't see a future for (Gibson and Comtois come to mind immediately).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I wouldn’t call him a 1C just yet but he is certainly much more than a mediocre 2C with his production alone. Remember, he is still a rookie.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The talent acquisition has to be part of a larger plan though. You can always get talent if you're willing to pay for it. For better or worse, Verbeek is assembling a puzzle and right now many pieces that are out there talent-wise do not fit with what he wants to do. Acquiring a 24 or 26 year-old today (most common names are Chychrun and Fiala) may make the team modestly better now but at what cost? And how does it make the team look in 3-5 years? That is what Verbeek is paid to think about and I suspect he won't make any big moves this summer unless it is to divest the team of more parts that he doesn't see a future for (Gibson and Comtois come to mind immediately).
And what are your concerns with thos employers in 3 or more years? Keep in mind if he's adding that type of player I would expect us to be competing for playoffs at least in 2 years if not next year as he has replaced the players he moved at that stage. If you keep waiting then you keep cycling out the players we have. In 5 years is Terry here anymore. Is Zegras? Zegras may only have 2 years left before he's ufa. At what point do you start adding? You can't plan for everything.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Eventually does not mean this summer.
It doesn’t mean not this summer either, none of us really know what his plan is…. We’ll just have to wait and see, but I suspect if the right player is available for the right cost he’s jumping on it this year

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
The right move since we traded Lindholm, Rakell, Manson and Des would be to sell on what we can, pick up every expiring contract with a sweetener.. literally all of them for 1 season (will ownership allow that). Then see what you can in FA (not expecting shit other than some more replacement players). If something like Bennett, Reinhart, Buch, etc comes up make the move.

Trading Lindholm was so idiotic after seeing him sign for 8x6.5 and saying he would have taken less here. I don't know if I'll ever get over it. The cap will be up in 4-6 years and that 6 million will look like absolutely nothing. 6'4 shutdown defensemen with transition ability and puck skills don't come around often.... at all.....f***! I agree with moving Rakell and Manson but I really really really think we should have kept Lindholm and Des.

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
I wouldn’t call him a 1C just yet but he is certainly much more than a mediocre 2C with his production alone. Remember, he is still a rookie.
His rookie status doesn’t really impact what he is in the NHL right now.

I think everyone is expecting Z to get better. Probably a lot better. I’m just trying to point out that it’s dangerous to assume a young player with potential is <insert label here > when he has not yet actually achieved that. That goes for all our young players

Reactions: KyleJRM

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
Zegras is debatable. You obviously are putting a lot of weight on his D zone play and it absolutely should be criticized. I'm unsure if it's enough to drop him to a mediocre 2c Though. He's not anywhere near an elite 1c but I do t think we are expecting a Crosby, Malkin or someone like that.

As for the D I think you underestimate the difference. Top in skill is down. For sure but we added 2 young D in trades that make us deeper which was our major issue. Depending on who we get we have more defined roles too. Lindholm is a great player but he likes to have the puck too. Drysdale was not able to cover him like Manson used to or like how Lindholm covered for Drysdale. A role player who knows he supposed to allow Drysdale to do his thing and focus on the D side could yield better results then we saw with Lindholm even though Lindholm is the better player. The same goes for Fowlers partner. Fowler and Manson were used as the match up pair this season and were relatively successful. I'd day. Vaks pushes Benoit to "7 and not splitting time as the #6 and Helleson and maybe even Lacomb/Thrun give us more callup options. Now of course thats the ideal situation but it gives allows us to cover injuries better than this year.

Edit: A player I like the thought of poaching is Patches from Vegas. He's solid defensively and only a year left on his deal.
Depth was indeed part of the problem on defense, but not having top end defensive talent is also a problem, and I’d argue a much bigger one because depth is a lot easier to add than top end talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad