Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
They definitely have to add someone in that bottom three. Now...getting MacDonald back adds significantly, but I still think they need another piece. While Byram would be that piece easily, that's hardly a guarantee he plays. That's why I'm pounding the table for Kulak--that right there is a reliable stay-at-home defender with decent-enough puck skill who can play a third pairing role and PK with ease. Also has a very digestible cap hit.

Pretty crazy how much worse our D depth is this year than last (after Byram went down). You know it’s bad when you’d be ecstatic to shove Graves back in there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
On another note.... I'm completely shocked Chicago is willing to move Brandon Hagel. Assuming the rumors are true and we really are deep in the trenches on the Giroux trade talks, Hagel would probably be first target right now.

He's basically Blake Coleman 2.0. Signed for 3 more playoff runs at a ridiculous 1.5M cap hit. That's the kind of contract and player that could allow the Avs to maneuver the cap enough to push the window for another couple years longer.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Goals lead to wins, and faceoff's lead to goals, so isn't it logical to conclude that faceoffs lead to wins?... :huh:

:popcorn:
Mind juggling :sarcasm:, in small degree yes, but not enough to go out and try to be the best faceoff team of all-time though. However, my original point is that mistakes tend to be remembered better when they happen in playoffs than regular season as you have fewer games and they are more important.

Reactions: Richard88

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado's high end is definitely better than Vegas's. The problem is Vegas's high end is better than 90% of the NHL, and they have great depth to boot.

If Colorado adds a forward and a defenseman at the deadline, I'll feel a lot more comfortable in that pending rematch.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Thinking about it more, I don't think we're giving Kadri enough x-factor credit here against Vegas. Especially the Kadri on crack we're getting this year. To this day I still think the Avs win that series if he wasn't suspended.

Vegas beat the Avs, but Vegas beat a center depth of Mack-Compher-Jost-shit I don't even remember lol.

This year:

MacKinnon > Eichel
Kadri >> Karlsson
Newhook < Stephenson (for now...)
Jost/Compher < Roy

Dude seriously better not get himself suspended again...

Last edited:
Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pretty crazy how much worse our D depth is this year than last (after Byram went down). You know it’s bad when you’d be ecstatic to shove Graves back in there.

Hey now, don't count me amongst THOSE people, I don't want Graves anywhere back there (and I still say Graves was quite good for the Avs during his time in COL). He was only marginally better than Nemeth in the playoffs...if that.

I'm actually not with you on the defensive depth being MUCH worse than it was last year. IMO it might be worse, but not by some egregious degree. EJ even as a shell of his former self is still better than no EJ at all, which is what they had to deal with last season. Last season they were filling the gaps with guys like Burroughs, Gilbert, and Middleton (ugh), who frankly were not much better than Murray is currently. Renouf was surprisingly good for a callup but eventually the warts in his game were starting to show.

Get a fully healthy MacNorris back, that does wonders for defensive depth alone and catapults the Avs defensive corps of this year past the one last year. If you can fill out that 6th spot with a Kulak-type, then I'm positively thrilled with that defensive lineup, even without Byram back in.

amigo

Mar 20, 2021
They were outcoached and outworked against Vegas and they choked. At this point I would love to see Giroux, some bigger body in 3rd line and D like Holden or whatever.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
And you yours. That's a very weird opinion though considering Karlsson, Stephenson, Roy were able to make quick work of the Avs last year. :laugh:

We didn’t have Kadri who the year prior was over point per game in the playoffs. Lots of variables in that series, it could’ve gone either way. the avs have clearly proven to be a different team so far this year.
Quick work is a pretty negative statement considering we outplayed them game 5 and 6 outside of a few defensive lapses that this team has hopefully learned from.

Reactions: Alienblood

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
We didn’t have Kadri who the year prior was over point per game in the playoffs. Lots of variables in that series, it could’ve gone either way. the avs have clearly proven to be a different team so far this year.
Quick work is a pretty negative statement considering we outplayed them game 5 and 6 outside of a few defensive lapses that this team has hopefully learned from.
Forget Kadri, just not having Nemeth and Graves we probably win that series

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

And they demolished us in games 2-4. Worse than any beating we've put on Ari this year.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
And they demolished us in games 2-4. Worse than any beating we've put on Ari this year.

For sure, was tough to watch. I’d argue we beat ourselves that series though, Vegas isn’t unstoppable.. they went on to lose to the habs.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Anybody see the asking price for Brandon Hagel rumored on the main boards? Supposedly came from Frank Seravalli. What’s the price for a Jost or a JTC now lol?
For some reason I can’t copy the link.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Don't underestimate the loss of Alex Tuch as well. Guy has 17 points in 15 games in Buffalo, and looks like a top line winger. He wasn't getting the minutes in Vegas, but he was a machine against COL in the playoffs.

Probably balanced by our loss of Saad, who was (unsustainably) en fuego in last years PO.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
The rest of the teams in the league need to come together and cheaply load up the top 4 teams in the league to take down Vegas and the NHLs bullcrap

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
On another note.... I'm completely shocked Chicago is willing to move Brandon Hagel. Assuming the rumors are true and we really are deep in the trenches on the Giroux trade talks, Hagel would probably be first target right now.

He's basically Blake Coleman 2.0. Signed for 3 more playoff runs at a ridiculous 1.5M cap hit. That's the kind of contract and player that could allow the Avs to maneuver the cap enough to push the window for another couple years longer.
Could we pull off both Giroux and Hagel?

Giroux for Jost + Barron + Ranta + Kaut

Hagel for 2023 1st + JTC + B prospect

Landeskog -- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Giroux --------- Kadri ------- Burakovsky
Hagel -------- Newhook ----- Nichuskin
NAK/Helm ---- Maltsev ----- LOC

Reactions: shadow1

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

I would pull the trigger on both of those trades. They’re definitely tough pills to swallow and I might push Olausson over Baron, but ultimately if that’s the ask I still make the trade.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Hagel is nice, but hardly worth selling the farm for...
We're going to have to fill the 2LW and 3LW spots this offseason one way or another, possibly via trading that 2023 1st. Why not get ahead of the game and get a guy who can help us this year as well as another two playoff runs at a cheap $1.5m caphit? Acquiring Hagel with that contract could also potentially be what enables us to have enough capspace to bring back Burakovsky and Nichuskin.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
We're going to have to fill the 2LW and 3LW spots this offseason one way or another, possibly via trading that 2023 1st. Why not get ahead of the game and get a guy who can help us this year as well as another two playoff runs at a cheap $1.5m caphit? Acquiring Hagel with that contract could also potentially be what enables us to have enough capspace to bring back Burakovsky and Nichuskin.
I guess. Depends on the prospect going back, plus would much rather Jost go than JTC. I think he gets wrongly crucified around here.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021

He is a good player but the ask is a 1st, a top prospect and +. Where you have B prospect they are going to want Barron or Behrens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad