Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Avs simply have to make a move up front now though. Vegas forward depth as it stands blows ours completely out of the water.

Saw on twitter when Stone comes back in the playoffs they'll likely have lines that look like:

Dadonov - Eichel - Stone
Smith - Karlsson - Marchessault
Patches - Stephenson - Janmark
Carrier - Roy - Kolesar

Avs cant match that depth without adding at least one Top 9 forward.

Dadonov - Eichel - Stone
Carrier - Roy - Kolesar

vs

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Giroux - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Newhook - LOC
Helm - Jost/Compher - NAK

Giroux is a the missing link here, Sakic needs to close this. And if Byram is back I like our defense over theirs, but that's a big if.

The game style matchup is where I think Vegas ultimately ends up getting past Colorado.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
A trade target for the PK and face-off enthusiasts. Toronto acquired him for a conditional 7th last year. Maybe not the worst guy you could roll out at 4C to (over-?) compensate for MacDermid's lack of defense.

Reactions: The Moops

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
FO's don't lead to wins, but sometimes they do lead to goals. It's more exacerbated in the playoffs as goals are harder to come by, thus the mistakes get amplified by fans and media (i.g. Graves shot block or Kadri losing his man in OT against the Stars).
Goals lead to wins, and faceoff's lead to goals, so isn't it logical to conclude that faceoffs lead to wins?... :huh:

:popcorn:

Reactions: Vk1ing

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Dadonov - Eichel - Stone
Carrier - Roy - Kolesar

vs

Nuke - Newhook - LOC

Giroux is a the missing link here, Sakic needs to close this. And if Byram is back I like our defense over theirs, but that's a big if.

The game style matchup is where I think Vegas ultimately ends up getting past Colorado.

Even with Giroux I take that Vegas forward core pretty easily over ours tbh. But Giroux gives us a much better fighting chance and then like you said our Defense is what you have to hope can push us over the top. And maybe goaltending as well, since I dont think Lehner is nearly as reliable as Fleury.

Tbh I think it'd be another good series. People around here put way too much stock into us losing against Vegas as a complete and total failure last year but I think the reality of the situation is/was that they're a top tier team and legit cup contender as well and when you put two top tier cup contenders up against each other, somebody has to lose, just facts of the game. Last years matchup should have been a conference finals sort.

I could easily see the Avs outdueling Vegas this year, just like how I could easily see Vegas getting the better of us again. IMO you're talking about two of the Top 3 teams in the league right now. Especially if Vegas gets away with this Mark Stone LTIR until the playoffs plan like it looks like they will

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Dadonov - Eichel - Stone
Carrier - Roy - Kolesar

vs

Nuke - Newhook - LOC

Not happening. This is a new avs squad, Vegas is going down this time.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Even with Giroux I take that Vegas forward core pretty easily over ours tbh. But Giroux gives us a much better fighting chance and then like you said our Defense is what you have to hope can push us over the top. And maybe goaltending as well, since I dont think Lehner is nearly as reliable as Fleury.

Tbh I think it'd be another good series. People around here put way too much stock into us losing against Vegas as a complete and total failure last year but I think the reality of the situation is/was that they're a top tier team and legit cup contender as well and when you put two top tier cup contenders up against each other, somebody has to lose, just facts of the game. Last years matchup should have been a conference finals sort.

I could easily see the Avs outdueling Vegas this year, just like how I could easily see Vegas getting the better of us again. IMO you're talking about two of the Top 3 teams in the league right now. Especially if Vegas gets away with this Mark Stone LTIR until the playoffs plan like it looks like they will

Pretty easily? That’s insane to me considering what our forwards are pacing… stone and patches can’t stay healthy for the life of them, dadonov doesn’t score and Eichel has a brand new neck.

Mack > Eichel
Landeskog > patches
Rantanen = stone
Kadri >>>> Stephenson and karlsson
Nichushkin > smith

We will be fine. f*** Vegas.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If we get Giroux.. I want us to play Vegas. It would be such a great series, and if we made it past them I think that's a gorilla off our backs and only a fully tuned Tampa could stop us.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Dadonov - Eichel - Stone
Carrier - Roy - Kolesar

vs

Nuke - Newhook - LOC

Vegas gonna get the rejuvenated Oilers in the 1st round. Go Oil !!

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Pretty easily? That’s insane to me considering what our forwards are pacing… stone and patches can’t stay healthy for the life of them, dadonov doesn’t score and Eichel has a brand new neck.

Mack > Eichel
Landeskog > patches
Rantanen = stone
Nichushkin > smith

Ya Avs are superior regardless. Then facor in our much better D core and goaltending.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Giroux will cost way more than that especially if they are retaining salary.

Tyson Jost
Drew Helleson's rights
2023 1st
2024 2nd
Helleson makes sense in theory, but that would be a risky return for Philadelphia considering that Helleson isn't signed yet and could decide to go the college free agency route in a year.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

It's close, it's damn close. I'd take the Avs top six (with Giroux) pretty easily over Vegas', but Vegas' bottom six over the Avs'.

Defensive matchup is too up in the air. Pietro and Martinez don't look the same this year as they did last year, but I'd put big money on that changing as the playoffs near.

If Byram doesn't come back Sakic has to make a defensive move or they have a huge weakness with one of JJ/EJ/Murray in the top four.

For me, Kuemper is going to be the biggest X-factor of that potential series.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Mack > Eichel
Landeskog > patches
Rantanen = stone
Nichushkin > smith

Yeah, pretty easily. Career years that will almost certainly never be matched again(Especially in the case of Kadri) isn't going to change how I view our guys.

The wingers are pretty even. Vegas Center depth simply outclass the Avs centers.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It’s getting hard to breathe with all the Giroux smoke in the room. These tweets make it almost sound like there’s something ready, just waiting for Giroux to hit 1k games with Philly.

Reactions: shadow1

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Ya Avs are superior regardless. Then facor in our much better D core and goaltending.

How is our Dcore superior? Our top 3 might be better, but their depth is significantly better. Like….Grand Canyon sized chasm. We have the worst bottom 3 D of any of the top contenders by far.

Reactions: shadow1

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's close, it's damn close. I'd take the Avs top six (with Giroux) pretty easily over Vegas', but Vegas' bottom six over the Avs'.

Defensive matchup is too up in the air. Pietro and Martinez don't look the same this year as they did last year, but I'd put big money on that changing as the playoffs near.

If Byram doesn't come back Sakic has to make a defensive move or they have a huge weakness with one of JJ/EJ/Murray in the top four.

For me, Kuemper is going to be the biggest X-factor of that potential series.

That's fair. I think where the forwards are separated is down the middle. Vegas Center depth is ridiculous now and Jack Eichel is going to make a loot people look foolish here very quickly as well for every doubting him. He's highly motivated for perhaps the first time in his career, and he's as close to 100% healthy as he's probably ever been.

Avs need Giroux and they need a healthy Byram to compete in that series IMO. If we're missing one of those things(Or in Giroux's case it doesn't have to be Giroux but another Top 6 forward), I dont think we have much of a chance. Kuemper would need to be sensational.

Reactions: Ararana

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Vegas gonna get the rejuvenated Oilers in the 1st round. Go Oil !!
Oilers would win the first two games on the back of their PP firing at 50%, then DeBoer will complain about the refs and Oilers won't get another PP the rest of the series and Vegas will win it.

Reactions: Alienblood

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The Avs have the 2nd-best 5v5 defense in the league so far this season.

Not arguing that. And that’s fine in the regular season. Just saying when the PO’s start, and we’re rolling out EJ/JJ/Murray for half the game, they’ll be exploited. Severely exploited.

You can’t really win with that D depth in the playoffs; a #5 dman and two #7 dman in your bottom 3.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
We'll let him get in 1k games in Philly, but we'll retire his number after we win the cup.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Yeah, pretty easily. Career years that will almost certainly never be matched again(Especially in the case of Kadri) isn't going to change how I view our guys.

The wingers are pretty even. Vegas Center depth simply outclass the Avs centers.

You’re entitled to your opinion I guess lol.

Eichel, karlsson, Stephenson don’t scare me.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not arguing that. And that’s fine in the regular season. Just saying when the PO’s start, and we’re rolling out EJ/JJ/Murray for half the game, they’ll be exploited. Severely exploited.

You can’t really win with that D depth in the playoffs; a #5 dman and two #7 dman in your bottom 3.

They definitely have to add someone in that bottom three. Now...getting MacDonald back adds significantly, but I still think they need another piece. While Byram would be that piece easily, that's hardly a guarantee he plays. That's why I'm pounding the table for Kulak--that right there is a reliable stay-at-home defender with decent-enough puck skill who can play a third pairing role and PK with ease. Also has a very digestible cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad