Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
You sure about that? Ottawa, Anaheim. Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Columbus all find consistent talent in rounds 2+. It's not about finding superstars late in the draft, but finding players who can fill a role in the bottom 6. The Avs literally haven't drafted a useful player past the 2nd round since 2009. That's embarrassing.

Edit: Timmins was a 2nd rounder. But still it took almost a decade for them to develop an NHL player from round 2+.

For sure. But how much of that is on development and how much is on the actual picks? Kaut and Bowers were supposed to be sure-thing bottom-6'ers and both of them combined have barely gotten a sniff. I agree that they need to start hitting on some of these later picks and I think they will, but they've also gotta learn to develop the guys that don't have world-class talent for once.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He's not a negative value player. But he's also the worst player on the team I'd argue. The dude bleeds shots and chances against and every line he plays on is significantly worse whens he's on it. He's just a flawed player that isn't good enough to be on a cup contender, especially at his price tag.

Jost, Helm, and MacDermid are all worse.

I’d argue Compher is more useful than LOC too. I loved LOC to start the year, but he’s been invisible for like 20+ games.

I agree that he’s flawed though and if the Avs can use his cap to better the team, I’m all for it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
For sure. But how much of that is on development and how much is on the actual picks? Kaut and Bowers were supposed to be sure-thing bottom-6'ers and both of them combined have barely gotten a sniff. I agree that they need to start hitting on some of these later picks and I think they will, but they've also gotta learn to develop the guys that don't have world-class talent for once.
It goes hand in hand amateur scouting and development.

Reactions: The Merchant

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's not a negative value player. But he's also the worst player on the team I'd argue. The dude bleeds shots and chances against and every line he plays on is significantly worse whens he's on it. He's just a flawed player that isn't good enough to be on a cup contender, especially at his price tag.

Well... He bleeds shots for sure, he essentially has the worse Corsi and worse shots % on the team.

But in terms of scoring chances, he's actually not as bad. He has an xGF% of 51.27 which is above a number of our depth guys on the team. And his scoring chances and high danger chances are both right around 50% as well.

But I do agree with the general sentiment. He's a decent player, on a rebuilding or bubble playoff team he can add value, similar to how he added value to us for a few years. But on a cup contender team with serious aspirations to win it all, his $3.5M is better spent elsewhere.

Jost is in that same boat. Statistically I think Jost is a worse player then JTC as well, but he makes less and plays less and is probably a little better defensively which from a 4th liner matter more. If it were up to me I'd move JTC before Jost as well but both guys could do with replacing.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jost, Helm, and MacDermid are all worse.

I’d argue Compher is more useful than LOC too. I loved LOC to start the year, but he’s been invisible for like 20+ games.

I agree that he’s flawed though and if the Avs can use his cap to better the team, I’m all for it.
Macdermid I agree is worse. But I'd take Helm and Jost over JTC any day. They at least play low event hockey as opposed to JTC. Also LOC's issues are purely due to him being over worked and playing in the top 6 where he doesn't belong. The issue is if JTC isn't producing, he isn't providing anything else at this point.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Macdermid I agree is worse. But I'd take Helm and Jost over JTC any day. They at least play low event hockey as opposed to JTC. Also LOC's issues are purely due to him being over worked and playing in the top 6 where he doesn't belong. The issue is if JTC isn't producing, he isn't providing anything else at this point.

Do Helm, or Jost provide value when they’re not scoring?

Those guys don’t have any ability to play on a 3rd line. At least Compher has some scoring touch to make it palatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad