HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
So Instead of getting a legit Top 6 forward you want Bergevin to roll the dice with someone who’s always hurt?
You’ll be the first to roast Bergevin when Grabner fails
Why play Grabner over Evans or Poehling?
this makes so little sense. Get legit scorers or let the kids play. The garbage 4th line pickups need to end
You're post runs on some false assumptions. First, getting Grabner does not mean Bergevin can't get a top 6 forward and nowhere in my post suggests that. Secondly, I'm not sure why I would be the one to roast Bergevin considering I want him on the 4th line and am not expecting him to be a top 6 forward. Grabner?

While Evans should be on the opening roster, I'd rather have Poehling develop in Laval is he doesn't get the 4th line role. No use in developing him on the 4th line.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
List of players I'd be excited to watch if we got them. Sorry but andersen Saad etc. Won't do it for me this year. I don't want a responsible two way forward. I want someone with the potential to put me on the edge of my seat!

Laine
Evander Kane
Puljujarvi
Hall
Athansiou

Athanasiou, really?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Athanasiou, really?

I loved the guy in Detroit. Speed hands scoring. He's one of those players that was going to put it together big or time or completely fizzle out. I want to give him a chance. I know happytoseeyou and pooljoojarvee aren't bona-fide players, but they'd help me tune into next season, atleast at the beginning because of that anticipation of seeing if they put it together.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
You're post runs on some false assumptions. First, getting Grabner does not mean Bergevin can't get a top 6 forward and nowhere in my post suggests that. Secondly, I'm not sure why I would be the one to roast Bergevin considering I want him on the 4th line and am not expecting him to be a top 6 forward. Grabner?

While Evans should be on the opening roster, I'd rather have Poehling develop in Laval is he doesn't get the 4th line role. No use in developing him on the 4th line.
Laval? Again? Why not 4th line. The way the centre are Set, Poehling will never crack the habs top 3 lines as a centre. Also grabner needs a top 6 role to produce. Not bottom
Huge pass

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I've been refreshing HFboards so often today.
But... Nothing! :(

Edit: Some stuff on the rumor/signings boards though but relatively quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't care how he scores his goal. His goals come from quantity over quality - even though most of his shots taken at the net are above average quality in terms of danger level. What he does is unique in the NHL - no player even comes close, at 5v5, to attempting shots as frequently, as often AND as close to the net as he does. He's in a world of his own, and that's because it's not easy to do.

The reason I mentionned his style is because 1) yeah, getting abused in front of the net will take a toll on your longetivity as a player, most likely, and 2) it's not a style that will drive PP success as much as some other playstyles, but that will still work very well on a competent PP that cycles the puck well around the offensive zone (and not just to the point for a hard shot that most likely will end up getting out of the zone)
you'd have no problem BG signing long term at 7.5 or something, cause the way he score his goals is irrelevant outside the entertainment factor like you said earlier...

although you admit it could affect the player long term and it also affects said players PP productivity...

Reactions: Trembz

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
you'd have no problem BG signing long term at 7.5 or something, cause the way he score his goals is irrelevant outside the entertainment factor like you said earlier...

although you admit it could affect the player long term and it also affects said players PP productivity...

I believe we call this.... a "Paradox"

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As an all star "top line" sure.. but don't knock them, that's a very strong line that has matched up against any in the league 5v5 and is paid very reasonably for what they bring. Stupid to see people bashing them and CJ for playing them when they have been excellent the past 2 seasons. The problem is the other top 6 line has not been there, but no team survives on 1 line anyway so what does it matter. Maybe that actual legit other top 6 lines comes together If MB can land a top RW: Drouin-Suzuki-???Laine???
the team is not winning with them as a 1st line, they're not even making the PO, team is among the worst in the league with them as a 1st line... and you think people are stupid for wanting a better 1st line ? or to use the kids a little more so they can develop ? really ?

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
the team is not winning with them as a 1st line, they're not even making the PO, team is among the worst in the league with them as a 1st line... and you think people are stupid for wanting a better 1st line ? or to use the kids a little more so they can develop ? really ?
On a contending team, those 3 players would be spread out in a lineup and not the same line. We put all our eggs in 1 basket (mainly cause we dont have a choice), and while they have performed, They have not performed up to the standards of a "ideal" first line. Unless you want your first line to be a shutdown line.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Laval? Again? Why not 4th line. The way the centre are Set, Poehling will never crack the habs top 3 lines as a centre. Also grabner needs a top 6 role to produce. Not bottom
Huge pass

Because he will develop more in the top6 in Laval than on the 4th line/stand in Montreal. 2 points in 27 games is not 4th line level production.

It was Poehling first year as a pro, so not sure why you're surprised he may need to go again, especially with the injuries and the yo-yoing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Laval? Again? Why not 4th line

he just had the worst season any of Timmins 1st round 20 year old rookies have had, he had no business being in the NHL last season. None. If MB had any clue on how to develop NHLers we would be in at least a little better spot.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As an all star "top line" sure.. but don't knock them, that's a very strong line that has matched up against any in the league 5v5 and is paid very reasonably for what they bring. Stupid to see people bashing them and CJ for playing them when they have been excellent the past 2 seasons. The problem is the other top 6 line has not been there, but no team survives on 1 line anyway so what does it matter. Maybe that actual legit other top 6 lines comes together If MB can land a top RW: Drouin-Suzuki-???Laine???
They have been a good 5 on 5 line, but they are far from a #1 line.....we have been years putting guys in the top 6 who are not real top 6 players....it's been the same with the Dmen, too many bottom pairing guys, and some are put in the top pairings....
Our GM is in his 9th year, and still has alot of players, in the wrong chairs...

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
They have been a good 5 on 5 line, but they are far from a #1 line.....we have been years putting guys in the top 6 who are not real top 6 players....it's been the same with the Dmen, too many bottom pairing guys, and some are put in the top pairings....
Our GM is in his 9th year, and still has alot of players, in the wrong chairs...

They are top 6 players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad