HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
No third liner have the skills to score 30 goals on average per season.
He was given first line duties, that’s why he managed 30 goals. Many players have scored 30 goals in their careers aka Zholtok, Czerkawski, Hoglund, etc. Does it mean they are elite?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I disagree, he's a third liner with RW potential, not a first though. Some Habs fans overrate players as usual.
Well, for starter, I don't know what the first sentence is supposed to mean. Secondly, you threw in Panik into that mix. That pretty much shows you know absolutely nothing.

Habs fans do tend to overrate players, but that's not the case with Gallagher at all.

Want to go with "points"? 12th best in total 5v5 points amongst RW in the past 3 seasons. Despite significantly less ice time than his peers due to the Habs rolling a 2-lines system. Remains top 30 when you factor in powerplay, which is indeed not his strength. But the Habs PP strategy is also incompatible with how Gally plays (and coincidently, our PP is bad but we still try to feed the puck to Weber for slappers, figure). On a team with a good PP strategy, he would totally have 5-10 more points easily.

Goals? He's one of the best goalscoring RW in the entire league, no matter how you put it. Not by skill, obviously, but by how he plays. And how he scores matters only for entertainment. A goal is a goal whether it's the result of playing whack-a-puck in front of the goalie, or the result of a shot that results in the goalie being dehydrated because his water bottle was sent in the stands.

Nobody in the entire league shots more than Gally does, and that's part of why he's more impactful than his point total would state.

Jul 6, 2016
He was given first line duties, that’s why he managed 30 goals. Many players have scored 30 goals in their careers aka Zholtok, Czerkawski, Hoglund, etc. Does it mean they are elite?

Come on ! Any of the 30 other teams would give Gally second line duties.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Well, for starter, I don't know what the first sentence is supposed to mean. Secondly, you threw in Panik into that mix. That pretty much shows you know absolutely nothing.

Habs fans do tend to overrate players, but that's not the case with Gallagher at all.

Want to go with "points"? 12th best in total 5v5 points amongst RW in the past 3 seasons. Despite significantly less ice time than his peers due to the Habs rolling a 2-lines system. Remains top 30 when you factor in powerplay, which is indeed not his strength. But the Habs PP strategy is also incompatible with how Gally plays (and coincidently, our PP is bad but we still try to feed the puck to Weber for slappers, figure). On a team with a good PP strategy, he would totally have 5-10 more points easily.

Goals? He's one of the best goalscoring RW in the entire league, no matter how you put it. Not by skill, obviously, but by how he plays. And how he scores matters only for entertainment. A goal is a goal whether it's the result of playing whack-a-puck in front of the goalie, or the result of a shot that results in the goalie being dehydrated because his water bottle was sent in the stands. Nobody in the entire league shots more than Gally does, and that's part of why he's more impactful than his point total would state.

Panic is a better player, he may not score many goals but he has size. Secondly, I meant to say 2nd line RW potential but I posted it too soon. I don't post often here because it just ends up in arguments. But this Corona situation, got me posting again. A lot of Gally's goals are what we call garbage goals. The refs are getting accustomed to his play and it draws bad penalties to the Habs like diving calls.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If Gallagher is a 1st line player and drives a line then he needs to get 8.5 million just like Mark Stone
Don’t use longevity as an excuse. Bergevin will have to give him 5 years and 40 million
True first line prices
Let that sink in now

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
All 30 goals scorer wouldn't score 30 goals if they were not given 1st line minute. In fact, most wouldn't if they were not given 1st unit PP time to go with it.

Over the past 3 seasons, Gally is 27th in the entire league in goals, and he gets far less PP time in proportion to his total ice time than other top line players. Hell, even at 5v5 he gets less ice time than other top line players because the Habs roll 2 lines, as I previously mentioned.

40 players scored 80 goals or more. Amongst these players, only JVR and Bergeron played less than Gally. Gally played a total of 3666 minutes. Only 8 players amongst them played less than 4000 minutes.

I'm sorry, but it's not a case of him just scoring 30 goals because of first line ice time. He does that despite not even getting first line ice time - but still getting first line duties in constantly facing off (and successfully shutting down along with Danault and Tatar) the opponents' best players.

Reactions: 1909

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
If Gallagher is a 1st line player and drives a line then he needs to get 8.5 million just like Mark Stone
Don’t use longevity as an excuse. Bergevin will have to give him 5 years and 40 million
True first line prices
Let that sink in now
Yikes, he's 31 and do you think he can drive the net at 35? I don't think he can continue playing his game for many years.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yikes, he's 31 and do you think he can drive the net at 35? I don't think he can continue playing his game for many years.
He will be 29 next year. I’m saying if Gallagher is a first line, truly a first line player, then 8million is the minimum Bergevin has to give him
Gallagher, love the guy. Not worth more than 6 million

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Panic is a better player, he may not score many goals but he has size. Secondly, I meant to say 2nd line RW potential but I posted it too soon. I don't post often here because it just ends up in arguments. But this Corona situation, got me posting again. A lot of Gally's goals are what we call garbage goals. The refs are getting accustomed to his play and it draws bad penalties to the Habs like diving calls.
Panik is garbage who looks somewhat decent when he plays with top line players.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
True first line prices
Let that sink in now
One thing that has been consistent with Gally throughout his career is that whatever line he's been on has often been really, really good in terms of on-ice results.

That said, during contract negotiations, longevity is totally an issue. We're not signing him for what he has done the past few years; we're signing him for what he WILL do. The beatings he takes and his upper body injuries could slow him down faster than we'd like.

Also, you're once again confusing "first line prices" and "top elite player prices". Stone is better than Gallagher and nobody will argue otherwise.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
He will be 29 next year. I’m saying if Gallagher is a first line, truly a first line player, then 8million is the minimum Bergevin has to give him
Gallagher, love the guy. Not worth more than 6 million
Agree. I confused his age with Petry. Hard to keep up.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
One thing that has been consistent with Gally throughout his career is that whatever line he's been on has often been really, really good in terms of on-ice results.

That said, during contract negotiations, longevity is totally an issue. We're not signing him for what he has done the past few years; we're signing him for what he WILL do. The beatings he takes and his upper body injuries could slow him down faster than we'd like.

Also, you're once again confusing "first line prices" and "top elite player prices". Stone is better than Gallagher and nobody will argue otherwise.
Ok minimum Pacioretty money. 4 years 28 million minimum. Sorry man longevity won’t be brought up. First liners make 8 million now a days Marner is making 10 as a winger.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Sorry for the vocabulary, but the bold is just plain dumb. Of course people will argue with you when you make such clueless statements. If your only argument as to how a player is better is "he has size", maybe it's time to reconsider how you evaluate hockey players, because you're completely out of touch.

And yes, like I implied, Gally doesn't score the prettiest goals. But his goalscoring was "luck", he wouldn't be so consistent in his goalscoring. His drive to the net is how he makes up for his lack of skills, and practically no player in the NHL is better at that than Gally.

And Gally has nothing to do with the Habs being undisciplined. He himself doesn't take that many penalties, and in fact, is really good at drawing them because of his drive to the nets, his strength and his balance when in the corners. And that's not because he dives all the time.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
All 30 goals scorer wouldn't score 30 goals if they were not given 1st line minute. In fact, most wouldn't if they were not given 1st unit PP time to go with it.

Over the past 3 seasons, Gally is 27th in the entire league in goals, and he gets far less PP time in proportion to his total ice time than other top line players. Hell, even at 5v5 he gets less ice time than other top line players because the Habs roll 2 lines, as I previously mentioned.

40 players scored 80 goals or more. Amongst these players, only JVR and Bergeron played less than Gally. Gally played a total of 3666 minutes. Only 8 players amongst them played less than 4000 minutes.

I'm sorry, but it's not a case of him just scoring 30 goals because of first line ice time. He does that despite not even getting first line ice time - but still getting first line duties in constantly facing off (and successfully shutting down along with Danault and Tatar) the opponents' best players.

Do you believe he is elite? He is no Mark Stone, Dadonov or Radulov. What he lacks in talent he gets by tossing his weight around. He won't be able to keep up as he gets older. Does he bring leadership, is he a role model, do I love the player? Yes. But he is not a first line RW, I am sorry.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Ok minimum Pacioretty money. 4 years 28 million minimum. Sorry man longevity won’t be brought up. First liners make 8 million now a days Marner is making 10 as a winger.
You bring Patches, and that's totally the comparable Bergevin will bring in the conversation. Which I actually think is a fair assessment. His agent will want more. Settle at 7.5M or so. Or less, maybe his agent isn't greedy.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Yet many of the top90 forwards (1st liner) are making under 8 millions. Only 29 forwards are making 8 millions and up.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Sorry for the vocabulary, but the bold is just plain dumb. Of course people will argue with you when you make such clueless statements. If your only argument as to how a player is better is "he has size", maybe it's time to reconsider how you evaluate hockey players, because you're completely out of touch.

And yes, like I implied, Gally doesn't score the prettiest goals. But his goalscoring was "luck", he wouldn't be so consistent in his goalscoring. His drive to the net is how he makes up for his lack of skills, and practically no player in the NHL is better at that than Gally.

And Gally has nothing to do with the Habs being undisciplined. He himself doesn't take that many penalties, and in fact, is really good at drawing them because of his drive to the nets, his strength and his balance when in the corners. And that's not because he dives all the time.
Refs are getting annoyed by his game and have been calling many penalties against him. Did you watch some recent games? So you consider luck as a unit of measure to evaluate talent? I didn't understand your sentence. Sorry for being old school.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
You bring Patches, and that's totally the comparable Bergevin will bring in the conversation. Which I actually think is a fair assessment. His agent will want more. Settle at 7.5M or so. Or less, maybe his agent isn't greedy.
Players wanna get paid. And with the kraken coming in next year and want to make a splash I Can easily see Gallagher putting Bergevin over a barrel.
Seattle has very deep pocket owners. They will over pay for players

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Goals? He's one of the best goalscoring RW in the entire league, no matter how you put it. Not by skill, obviously, but by how he plays. And how he scores matters only for entertainment. A goal is a goal whether it's the result of playing whack-a-puck in front of the goalie, or the result of a shot that results in the goalie being dehydrated because his water bottle was sent in the stands.

Nobody in the entire league shots more than Gally does, and that's part of why he's more impactful than his point total would state.
fact said 1st liner turns into a 15G scorer and 40 pts player during PO suggest otherwise.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yet many of the top90 forwards (1st liner) are making under 8 millions. Only 29 forwards are making 8 millions and up.
Name me a legit first liner that went UFA and isn’t making 8 million?
I don’t think he’s a first line player. He is on our team by default.
Kevin Hayes is making 7! Look at the Ladd deal
Okposo. Ericsson. Lucic.
Gallagher is gonna be overpaid

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Players wanna get paid. And with the kraken coming in next year and want to make a splash I Can easily see Gallagher putting Bergevin over a barrel.
Seattle has very deep pocket owners. They will over pay for players
It's time then for Gally to go, get some futures and build up a team with size, speed and talent.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad