GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
That is just what they are committed to, so doesn't include Landy, Grubs, Makar, etc. The ranges on those players vary, but assuming Landy is between 7-8, Makar is between 8-10 (depends on who resets the market and when), and a starting goalie is between 5-6... you have 20-24 right there. The sooner they can get Makar to sign, the better as it keeps Hughes from resetting the market (he's getting over 9). Landy could force the Avs hand a bit and would be in demand in many markets, but a 'discount' is 7m. Any solid starting goalie is going to cost at least $5m... so if Grubs is that guy he's probably closer to 6 than 5, but in the range. If the Avs want to upgrade 6-7.

Mackinnon will tell his other core players not to take too much and to try to take a home discount if we want to be competitive for a long time. Landy will sign for 6.5-7. Makar will sign for 6.5-7.5. edit (maybe for 8m max for a team friendly deal). We don't want to be like Toronto were each player grabs as much as they could but then hurt their team in a near future.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mackinnon will tell his other core players not to take too much and to try to take a home discount if we want to be competitive for a long time. Landy will sign for 6.5-7. Makar will sign for 6.5-7.5. edit (maybe for 8m max for a team friendly deal). We don't want to be like Toronto were each player grabs as much as they could but then hurt their team in a near future.
If Makar is signing for 8M or less then it's going to be a 5 year deal that walks him straight into UFA.

Even then...I don't think he's taking much less than Rants.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I think another season like the last, and a flat cap, or possibly a cap that even goes down, and Landy isn't getting $7M, let alone more than that. Makar isn't getting $9M either. Not that both aren't worth it, but there just won't be the $ available. I say both get short term deals for less, with the promise that once things return to normal, and the cap goes up, that they will get more.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Huh, I didn't realize how generic their logo was

That's because they've been around since 1880. So it was probably pretty hip and cutting edge back then. :laugh:

S-17491_1.jpg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
EJ can go on CapFriendly like anyone else so he has to know what the expansion draft looks like. If Sakic HASN'T talked to him about next off season already, that would just be cruel at this point. Don't leave the guy in limbo for a year.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
EJ can go on CapFriendly like anyone else so he has to know what the expansion draft looks like. If Sakic HASN'T talked to him about next off season already, that would just be cruel at this point. Don't leave the guy in limbo for a year.

I don’t think he’ll waive. Best to go 4-4 and have a handshake agreement with Landy. So protect the Top 4 on D and Mack/Rants/Kadri/Bura. Hopefully they take Graves or Compher and not Nuke.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
21-22 Assuming minimal roster movement, likely graduations, resigning the big FAs and the cap remaining flat:

upload_2020-10-27_21-25-23.png

That would leave them $10 million for another 2nd line winger and 3rdliner in this scenario.

The year after Give MacKinnon EJ's salary plus $300k to make him the highest paid player in the league if need be and hope Barron (Helleson, or Zhuravlov) can fell his spot. You'll also have Donskoi and JTC coming off the books assuming they play out their contracts for another $7.4M freed up and hopefully the cap rising again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
21-22 Assuming minimal roster movement, likely graduations, resigning the big FAs and the cap remaining flat:

View attachment 374582

That would leave them $10 million for another 2nd line winger and 3rdliner in this scenario.

The year after Give MacKinnon EJ's salary plus $300k to make him the highest paid player in the league if need be and hope Barron (Helleson, or Zhuravlov) can fell his spot. You'll also have Donskoi and JTC coming off the books assuming they play out their contracts for another $7.4M freed up and hopefully the cap rising again.

You mean 2022-23?

That would be $10M plus about $2M in cap cushion too. Even more if they don't have three years of a flat cap. Plus they may be able to find a cheaper stop gap 3C than Compher.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You mean 2022-23?

That would be $10M plus about $2M in cap cushion too. Even more if they don't have three years of a flat cap. Plus they may be able to find a cheaper stop gap 3C than Compher.
Yep.

That's being rather pessimistic about a lot of factors for the year after next. Alphabet or Foody or another prospect or Zach L'Heraux (he plays for Halifax, you know he's our next 1st rounder) turn into a 2nd line winger that really opens things up for that season and possibly extends the window.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yep.

That's being rather pessimistic about a lot of factors for the year after next. Alphabet or Foody or another prospect or Zach L'Heraux (he plays for Halifax, you know he's our next 1st rounder) turn into a 2nd line winger that really opens things up for that season and possibly extends the window.

I think they'll benefit from some team friendly deals for UFA middle sixers looking to win a Cup too.

Other competitive teams benefit from deals for these kind of players every year. The Avs just haven't been a draw until last year, so they've had to either pay market price, or over pay guys to bring them in.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think they'll benefit from some team friendly deals for UFA middle sixers looking to win a Cup too.

Other competitive teams benefit from deals for these kind of players every year. The Avs just haven't been a draw until last year, so they've had to either pay market price, or over pay guys to bring them in.
And with the flat cap UFAs are going to be more amenable towards taking short term deals with the prospect of the cap going up in the near future. a la Taylor Hall.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Now that the plan has come together this offseason I’m much happier with Toews and Saad, instead of Hall.
I'm so glad we didn't get Hall. He showed his true colors when he signed in Buffalo. He never gave a damn about winning a Cup, he's going to leave Buffalo in a year after pumping up his numbers playing with Eichel for a payday. Hate to say I told you all so, but the guy isn't a team player and he's only out for himself.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm so glad we didn't get Hall. He showed his true colors when he signed in Buffalo. He never gave a damn about winning a Cup, he's going to leave Buffalo in a year after pumping up his numbers playing with Eichel for a payday. Hate to say I told you all so, but the guy isn't a team player and he's only out for himself.
Could see him sign with Seattle.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Could see him sign with Seattle.

He's going to have good numbers next year, Sabres won't have a choice but to sign him to convince Eichel to stay and he's going to turn into Skinner 2.0

Jeff Skinner, at age 27, signed for 8 years at 9M per with the Sabres. With a full NMC for all 8 years and 15M in signing bonuses.

Year one of that contract: 14G 9A 23 pts in 59 games.

Let that sink in.

Reactions: Linds

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I'm pretty sure Hall has set himself up to try and have the best of both worlds. Get paid, boost his stats playing next to Eichel, and get traded to whatever team he wants at the TDL where he would fit on basically any contender. I'll be amazed if it plays out how Hall envisions it though.

Best case scenario: Hall goes PPG+, gets traded to a contender, wins a cup, and signs a huge deal in Seattle
Worst case scenario: Hall gets injured/has zero chemistry with Eichel, gets traded to a pretender, gets bounced the first round, and ends up in the same/worst situation as this year.

Reactions: MarkT

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
I'm pretty sure Hall has set himself up to try and have the best of both worlds. Get paid, boost his stats playing next to Eichel, and get traded to whatever team he wants at the TDL where he would fit on basically any contender. I'll be amazed if it plays out how Hall envisions it though.

Best case scenario: Hall goes PPG+, gets traded to a contender, wins a cup, and signs a huge deal in Seattle
Worst case scenario: Hall gets injured/has zero chemistry with Eichel, gets traded to a pretender, gets bounced the first round, and ends up in the same/worst situation as this year.
Makes me wonder how much of a cap hit Hall would technically have to a team in a TDL trade.

Cap is tight especially for contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad