Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

Well, this saga here is not over. Miller's story was well known in the scouting community. How it slipped past/was ignored/gambled to be irrelevant by our scouts is from my perspective the real story here (Miller apart). There has to be consequences, I don't see how XG and BA can just let this slip by/ignore/gamble to be irrelevant.

I know he was just hired, but if I'm Ryan Jankowski, I'm starting to polish my CV. He was by all accounts the lead man at the draft table and ultimately had final say. If what was said on TSN's Insider Trading segment about an "internal review" is true, I can't see how it can come to any other conclusion.

Reactions: CLW

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I know he was just hired, but if I'm Ryan Jankowski, I'm starting to polish my CV. He was by all accounts the lead man at the draft table and ultimately had final say. If what was said on TSN's Insider Trading segment about an "internal review" is true, I can't see how it can come to any other conclusion.

It will be considerably muddier than that if Jankowski was told to use Hofford's list, some other scouts encouraged the picks, or if BA's mandate to "get at least one player, no excuses" played into things. We still don't know what part Sullivan played. Can you imagine if Jankowski ran this idea by XG and Meruelo, only for them to collapse under the pressure? You'd have a hard time hiring anyone at that point.

The range of scenarios here runs from "wow, that's dumb" to "fold the franchise"

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Mitchell - good luck in the KHL. Don’t come back.

Coyotes - congrats, you found a new way to fail.

Fellow fans - the world has been returned to status quo, now let’s never speak of this again.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
It will be considerably muddier than that if Jankowski was told to use Hofford's list, some other scouts encouraged the picks, or if BA's mandate to "get at least one player, no excuses" played into things. We still don't know what part Sullivan played. Can you imagine if Jankowski ran this idea by XG and Meruelo, only for them to collapse under the pressure? You'd have a hard time hiring anyone at that point.

The range of scenarios here runs from "wow, that's dumb" to "fold the franchise"

I’ve really tried to think this one through because the entire series of events is so ****ing peculiar. Somebody at some point needed to stand up and say “Hey, let’s draft Mitchell Miller”. Someone then, based on XG’s statement, needed to tell him at least a little bit about the player. Someone then needed to ultimately approve the selection and enter it into the system.

Who was that/those someone/someones? Did anyone at any point push back? Was anyone dumb (or smart enough) to establish a paper trail? I feel for you guys, I do, because this is a cluster that seems to only just be starting even with the pick being retracted and obviously no fan is responsible for it.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I’ve really tried to think this one through because the entire series of events is so ****ing peculiar. Somebody at some point needed to stand up and say “Hey, let’s draft Mitchell Miller”. Someone then, based on XG’s statement, needed to tell him at least a little bit about the player. Someone then needed to ultimately approve the selection and enter it into the system.

Who was that/those someone/someones? Did anyone at any point push back? Was anyone dumb (or smart enough) to establish a paper trail? I feel for you guys, I do, because this is a cluster that seems to only just be starting even with the pick being retracted and obviously no fan is responsible for it.

There has to be a point in the scouting process where an adult stands up and says, hey guys this is not ok, this particular guy is a POS, it's gonna explode in our faces if we draft him. Let's move on.

Even if they felt pressured by BA to draft the BPA Miller should never have been that alternative. It's just not ok. Alternatively, it's simply incompetence in not knowing the full story. Which is also not ok.

This is a hot steaming mess. I hope XG is really as talented and professional as he is being painted as and can sort this out thoroughly and expediently. This boil needs to be lanced.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Except in that we now know XG is a slimeball.
Unqualified for the job. I previously criticized him for no relevant experience and only being hired because he's friends with the owner.

I think the best rebuttal anyone here came up with was that he was a hockey fan in college and later a Sharks fan...

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig Morgan’s take....

Coyotes had no choice in cutting ties with Mitchell Miller, but it was still the right choice

Cliff’s notes....

- Coyotes cutting ties was right decision.
- Coyotes called the mother and apologized directly.
- Questioned why nobody ever contacted the mother regarding the incident. Including the Coyotes and all the junior teams he’s played for between the incident and the draft.
- Questions how he ended up on the Coyotes’ when it wasn’t originally wasn’t. Noted he wasn’t on the Sabre’s’ list either so can’t blame Jankowski.
- Coyotes will do an internal revue on where this all went down the rabbit hole. (Take that fwiw).

-

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Unqualified for the job. I previously criticized him for no relevant experience and only being hired because he's friends with the owner.

I think the best rebuttal anyone here came up with was that he was a hockey fan in college and later a Sharks fan...

He wasn’t hired for his hockey knowledge.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
You’re over-reacting.
If you can read this and not be absolutely disgusted and find yourself thinking less of XG, very little of XG or that he’s anything other than a slime ball the YOU are underreacting and have integrity standards that are WAY too low. Take your time and really read it. Spend some time with it.

Xavier Gutierrez on Monday:

"When we first learned of Mitchell's story, it would have been easy for us to dismiss him -- many teams did. Instead, we felt it was our responsibility to be a part of the solution in a real way -- not just saying and doing the right things ourselves but ensuring that others are too.

Given our priorities on diversity and inclusion, we believe that we are in the best position to guide Mitchell into becoming a leader for this cause and preventing bullying and racism now and in the future. As an organization, we have made our expectations very clear to him. We are willing to work with Mitchell and put in the time, effort, and energy and provide him with the necessary resources and platform to confront bullying and racism. This isn't a story about excuses or justifications. It's a story about reflection, growth, and community impact. A true leader finds ways for every person to contribute to the solution. We all need to be a part of the solution."

Xavier Gutierrez on Thursday:
"We have decided to renounce the rights to Mitchell Miller, effective immediately."

Reactions: AZviaNJ

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Apparently he bullied the kid again 2 years ago. 2 years after his court case where the judge felt he hadn’t learned anything. Would you be saying the same thing had this kid done it to yours? Don’t think so

absolutely. wins are wins. we need wins leave personal shit off the ice.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
^ SERIOUSLY - f*** Xavier Gutierrez!

What should he do? The Coyotes made a massive mistake with Miller. The question is how much did he know, and was the call by him and BA to the mother just a cover story to drop a potato that was hotter than expected? If XG and BA knew all about Miller all along and still went for it, then this mess is extremely bad. (BA probably knew).

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
If you can read this and not be absolutely disgusted and find yourself thinking less of XG, very little of XG or that he’s anything other than a slime ball the YOU are underreacting and have integrity standards that are WAY too low. Take your time and really read it. Spend some time with it.

Xavier Gutierrez on Monday:

"When we first learned of Mitchell's story, it would have been easy for us to dismiss him -- many teams did. Instead, we felt it was our responsibility to be a part of the solution in a real way -- not just saying and doing the right things ourselves but ensuring that others are too.

Given our priorities on diversity and inclusion, we believe that we are in the best position to guide Mitchell into becoming a leader for this cause and preventing bullying and racism now and in the future. As an organization, we have made our expectations very clear to him. We are willing to work with Mitchell and put in the time, effort, and energy and provide him with the necessary resources and platform to confront bullying and racism. This isn't a story about excuses or justifications. It's a story about reflection, growth, and community impact. A true leader finds ways for every person to contribute to the solution. We all need to be a part of the solution."

Xavier Gutierrez on Thursday:
"We have decided to renounce the rights to Mitchell Miller, effective immediately."
I think you're somewhat mischaracterizing Gutierrez's intentions here. Firstly, it's become evident the team had not done enough research into Miller before drafting him. Their knowledge at the time of that first statement consisted on realizing he had a history of bullying, which they acknowledged as a negative, but yet still were of the belief that they could be part of remedying. Upon digging a fair bit deeper, probably further spurred on by the media backlash, it became quite evident that Miller's situation was in far more of a hole than initially thought, and that he'd made no real strides towards improvement, while quite possibly having mired himself in deeper.

At that point, it's fully reasonable for the Coyotes to realize he's too much of a project and he's not even close to making the NHL so how can they realistically even begin to work with him. He's not even taking the first real steps towards correcting any of this.

I still think an internal review on how this all went down is good, but I think you're ascribing too many nefariousness to Gutierrez when it's likely the team hadn't initially realized Miller is much closer to a lost cause than he is some one who just needs some mentorship.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad