Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Source for the family actually receiving the letter, because last I heard (which was yesterday when the story broke) the family never got the letter.
The mother's own words. She was quoted directly. They got the court-mandated letter. She stated she received no apology OTHER THAN the court mandated letter. She mentioned she never received a copy of the letter that went out to the 31 NHL teams. She was stating THAT letter she never received. This was misconstrued in the AZ Republic article and has led to a lot of confusion.
If we really was remorseful, meet the kid face to f***ing face and apologize like a man. But no, writes a fake apology letter than is court mandated and then the victim doesn't actually get said letter.
When the lack of a "personal apology" is referenced, what people are referring to is when McKie read a prepared apology to the victim and family during the hearing. Mitchell did not. But nobody has explained why. We don't know why. A lot of people are assuming things about that, but nobody has provided evidence to support their speculation.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm not blaming BA or Plandowski. But I'm disappointed BA seemed pleased with the pick to start with.

BA was just backing up his guys and going with the narrative XG was going to run with, hoping to sneak it by everyone. We don't know how they truly felt about the pick at the moment.

Scouts can say whatever they want about the player. If they thought he was reformed, or there was a good chance of it, it falls on the person with the final say to make that judgment call. That's probably Jankowski or Sullivan in this scenario. Someone probably assumed that it wouldn't be an issue because UND gave him a scholarship so how bad can he really be? It's very easy to look the other way if you're predisposed to it aka desperate for talent in the 4th.

I'm disappointed mainly because this new group talked a big game about no shortcuts and big character, yet they go out and do this, nullifying both for zero gain. Great job. A+.

Everything I've read suggests that he apologized via the mandated apology letter and has given no additional apologies directly to the family apart from that.

Wouldn't be good enough for me.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yet another reason to forgive and move on. Not condoning Miller's actions, but the past can't be changed.

What, you want Miller's victims to forgive and move on? They forgave Miller's accomplice who showed actual remorse. Miller never could be arsed to. And now local 'hockey families' (Miller's buddies?) are ganging up on the Isaiahs, but you want the Isaiahs to move on? How can they?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
BA was just backing up his guys and going with the narrative XG was going to run with, hoping to sneak it by everyone. We don't know how they truly felt about the pick at the moment.

Scouts can say whatever they want about the player. If they thought he was reformed, or there was a good chance of it, it falls on the person with the final say to make that judgment call. That's probably Jankowski or Sullivan in this scenario. Someone probably assumed that it wouldn't be an issue because UND gave him a scholarship so how bad can he really be? It's very easy to look the other way if you're predisposed to it aka desperate for talent in the 4th.

I'm disappointed mainly because this new group talked a big game about no shortcuts and character, yet they go out and do this, nullifying both for zero gain. Great job. A+.

Yeah I know. Agree with all your points. Sloppy and bad work, not at all the standard I was looking forward to/hoping for.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Not a good idea to force an apology on a victim who's not open to it. Somebody from the Miller camp should have reached out to the MC camp to see if they would be open to a face-to-face apology. This is especially true after the McKie boy gave one at the hearing. It's a big mistake not to make an effort to arrange an apology if the victim might be open to receiving one.

We have seen some evidence to suggest that the MC family is a wee bit hot blooded and passionate about the treatment of their children and have a very active urge to seek justice when it comes to their kids. Whether it be open letters to NHL teams or choking a soccer coach. I'm not saying the MC family is bad. I'm saying I respect most of the "facts" I know about them. But I'm also saying they may not have always been open to an in-person apology or there may have been very good reason to suspect it would not have ended up being a productive meeting.

All of that is to say there might have been a reason to think going and apologizing might have made things worse and not better. But that's wild speculation on my part, based on very little. More than likely, the Millers really f***ed up by not attempting to get this taken care of.

The MC family is certainly owed an in-person apology from the Miller family. No doubt about that.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
That’s that uglier side of it. But the mother should have expected there would be a faction that would pull that nonsense.

We’ve got a long way to go as a society.
I was worried about them being targeted when I saw how frequently she kept referencing BLM in these statements. Adding a hot button on top of a hot button.

People who become violent over politics are just about the dumbest people on earth.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's a big mistake not to make an effort to arrange an apology if the victim might be open to receiving one.

But that's wild speculation on my part, based on very little.

More than likely, the Millers really f***ed up by not attempting to get this taken care of.

The MC family is certainly owed an in-person apology from the Miller family. No doubt about that.

I'm happy you can arrive at the right conclusions but am still wildly disappointed with these "they're probably no saints" snipes at a family that is now being harassed years after their son was abused by Miller. It's incredibly skeevy. They didn't even want him cut and asked nothing of the Coyotes.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What he did was heinous but he was just a kid and we don't know about his upbringing. Maybe he was abused. I never bullied anyone or treated anyone badly in my life but I can tell you something like getting beat continually as a child affects you in ways you can't truly understand until you become an adult and much later in life at that. He should be judged by his actions as an adult imo and his chance to make a living with what he is good at just took a huge blow because it's bad PR to give a freaking kid a second chance in the politically correct world we live in. Do all you perfect people that never made mistakes feel vindicated? Hopefully the kid has turned the corner and gets a chance somewhere else or at least uses the education he will get (if they don't take that away too) in college to find a better life. Definitely glad this story will now die soon though.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm happy you can arrive at the right conclusions but am still wildly disappointed with these "they're probably no saints" snipes at a family that is now being harassed years after their son was abused by Miller. It's incredibly skeevy. They didn't even want him cut and asked nothing of the Coyotes.

The letter the mother wrote directly to the Coyotes certainly suggested it.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Anyone who chokes their kids soccer coach because of unfair distribution of trash time is an asshole. That means Mr MC is an asshole. Screaming and cursing and putting your hands around the neck of a soccer coach in front of the 10 year olds on the team is skeevy. I’m not skeevy. Mr MC is skeevy. I’m not saying he’s “no saint”, I’m saying he’s a f***ing asshole.

Buuuuut him and his wife foster and adopt a whole bunch of kids. Which is extremely admirable. It’s one of the things I truly respect more than anything. It’s honestly pretty “saintly”.

People aren’t just one thing.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The letter the mother wrote directly to the Coyotes certainly suggested it.
I’ve got no problems with the MC family. Seems like today is a good day for them (apart from the dumb shit threats). I hope they keep providing a loving and protective home for children that need it. I hope Mom keeps being such a ferocious defender of these kids. They need someone to stick up for them. I also hope Dad keeps his hands to himself from now on.

Reactions: seventieslord

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I’ve got no problems with the MC family. Seems like today is a good day for them (apart from the dumb shit threats). I hope they keep providing a loving and protective home for children that need it. I hope Mom keeps being such a ferocious defender of these kids. They need someone to stick up for them. I also hope Dad keeps his hands to himself from now on.

Same here.... the mother is standing up for her child. Dad..... well.... I wanted to do the same to my daughter’s high school basketball coach once after he threw her under the bus for his own screw up but that’s another story. :DD

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Anyone who chokes their kids soccer coach because of unfair distribution of trash time is an asshole. That means Mr MC is an asshole. Screaming and cursing and putting your hands around the neck of a soccer coach in front of the 10 year olds on the team is skeevy. I’m not skeevy. Mr MC is skeevy. I’m not saying he’s “no saint”, I’m saying he’s a f***ing asshole.

I never disagreed. You're just hinting at suspect motives when I don't agree at all and think it's pretty inappropriate:

We have seen some evidence to suggest that the MC family is a wee bit hot blooded and passionate about the treatment of their children and have a very active urge to seek justice when it comes to their kids.

JMC’s continued activism in this matter is interesting to me. I’m trying to think about how I would react if I was her. I can’t get myself into those shoes well enough. I can’t figure on whether this kind of campaigning years later is commendable or suspect. Really. I can’t.

Here's a story on Isiah's brother for anyone that missed it:

Isiah with his mom, looking good

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
BTW... originally came in to post this link.

Coyotes at center of ‘cancel culture’ debate after cutting ties with draft pick

Have only skimmed it myself, but you can all have at it.

Cancel culture would be digging up a FB post or a tweet from this kid that was unsightly, not calling attention to abusing a kid for years (including assaulting him) when he hasn't really been all that remorseful. A small amount of justice caught up to him. Materially, his career didn't change at all. Miller will have to put in the same work to earn a contract with a team. He's actually free to sign with anyone right now. The Coyotes are the ones that look dumb for even attempting it and not doing their homework.

If this kid had just emphatically apologized to the family and begged forgiveness I'd be defending him in this thread. The Coyotes would probably stand by him. That's how much it matters.

Reactions: stlwahoo and Static

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Soon.

Waiting on a coroner’s report.

Well, this saga here is not over. Miller's story was well known in the scouting community. How it slipped past/was ignored/gambled to be irrelevant by our scouts is from my perspective the real story here (Miller apart). There has to be consequences, I don't see how XG and BA can just let this slip by/ignore/gamble to be irrelevant.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Well, this saga here is not over. Miller's story was well known in the scouting community. How it slipped past/was ignored/gambled to be irrelevant by our scouts is from my perspective the real story here (Miller apart). There has to be consequences, I don't see how XG and BA can just let this slip by/ignore/gamble to be irrelevant.

It gets worse when you consider he was the first off the board for the team and they had a historically long time to talk about it, not even including predraft work. This will go from unsightly error to calamity if it turns out they were all gung-ho about it together ahead of time (including XG) and then just capitulated or missed some key info. Hiring anyone to work in hockey ops is going to be real interesting for the foreseeable future.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I never disagreed. You're just hinting at suspect motives when I don't agree at all and think it's pretty inappropriate:

Here's a story on Isiah's brother for anyone that missed it:

Isiah with his mom, looking good

No I’m not. I’m not hinting at motives. I’ve been consistent. I respect the mom and have said it.

I brought up the post choke emails so show that her open letter was similar. Her reaction to the choke was a little off. No reason to think her open letter isn’t similar.

I brought up the choking dad and the lioness mom to suggest maybe therein lays the possibility of a reason why no face to face was orchestrated. One should have been. It wasn’t. We don’t know why. probably it’s because the Millers are assess

You’re acting like I brought up a DUI from 20 years ago or something. Or like an assault victims skirt was too short. I think you’re too used to having this arguement with other people in other contexts.

I’m just supposing stuff and trying to figure out plausible reasons for things without ever deviating from my overarching point. That Miller acted shitty and it ain’t the MCs fault.

Reactions: Surfshop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad