Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Context. He had 4 years to apologize and never did, when something comes out that is similar then we shall see. Not criticising anyone, just pointing out the context to why some think he doesn't deserve a second chance (like myself), he had 4 years and multiple times to sort it out and he went the selfish route (lettering NHL teams) instead.
Context, he wrote an apology letter from his court case. Maybe he just wants to move forward and is really embarrassed by himself.....or maybe he's a psycho? He seems to be moving forward, putting up obstacles now serves no one.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Okay so here's one good thing:

4th rounds picks usually bust anyway. You almost never get NHL value out of the 111th pick in the draft. What we got out of this fiasco is a tremendous amount of motivation to be absolutely laser focused on player backgrounds and character checks. This is something both Armstrong and Plandowski were already experts on and highly regarded for. With this driven home so publicly and so painfully, I think we can expect this group will not have any f*** ups of this specific type in the future.

At least there's that.

Reactions: Yandover

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Seravalli said in Insider Trading that the Coyotes are going to conduct an internal review to find out how they came to the conclusion of drafting Miller.

I hope whichever scout that recommended the pick is outed and never works as an NHL scout again. I’m just so sick of this team being an embarrassment, there isn’t a team in NA sports that is less fun to be a fan of.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
One GM-related thing I've learned from in this thread is that taking the gamble with a first to get Taylor Hall was a terrible move. Sure seemed like a good move to many on this board back when it happened.

It was a gamble predicated on the belief that Tocchet couldn't possibly neuter the strengths of an elite winger.

Narrator: He did.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Coyotes are scavengers not particularly known for their prowess at anything but surviving to see another day. It's on brand.

Don't know where you get that nonsense, a pack of coyotes are extremely cunning hunters.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

4th rounds picks usually bust anyway. You almost never get NHL value out of the 111th pick in the draft. What we got out of this fiasco is a tremendous amount of motivation to be absolutely laser focused on player backgrounds and character checks. This is something both Armstrong and Plandowski were already experts on and highly regarded for. With this driven home so publicly and so painfully, I think we can expect this group will not have any f*** ups of this specific type in the future.

At least there's that.

I really hope Armstrong and Plandowski take the scouting department by the short hairs and lay down the law. That can only help us for future drafts and trades.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Anyone who was signed into this forum on Day 2 of the draft remembers me hyperventilating and screaming and yelling for the team to take Brett Berard with this pick. If only...

Yeah, it's not as if there weren't options. I remember you wondered if this pick was a 'gift' from the previous team (not that it is an excuse in any way).

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I hope whichever scout that recommended the pick is outed and never works as an NHL scout again. I’m just so sick of this team being an embarrassment, there isn’t a team in NA sports that is less fun to be a fan of.
I don't think this is fair at all. If the scouts did their homework and felt Miller is a straight arrow these days, and felt it was worth a gamble, then great. More power to them. Scouts are going to choose the players and kids they like the best. Worrying about PR and how Owners will feel and dealing with Media, etc that's a GM's call. We didn't have a GM.

I can absolutely forgive drafting Miller, given the circumstances.

I can absolutely forgive renouncing the pick, given the circumstances.

What I absolutely hate are Xavier Gutierrez's statements on Monday. That's what disgusts me.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Context. He had 4 years to apologize and never did, when something comes out that is similar then we shall see. Not criticising anyone, just pointing out the context to why some think he doesn't deserve a second chance (like myself), he had 4 years and multiple times to sort it out and he went the selfish route (lettering NHL teams) instead.

He provided a written letter of apology, something the family can refer to and cherish for a lifetime.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I really hope Armstrong and Plandowski take the scouting department by the short hairs and lay down the law. That can only help us for future drafts and trades.

Against stupidity the Gods themselves fight in vain. If none of them had the common sense to just say no and move on, how do you fix that?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Against stupidity the Gods themselves fight in vain. If none of them had the common sense to just say no and move on, how do you fix that?

Well, for starters, neither BA nor Plandowski was involved in this pick. One of BA's hires was.

Plandowski talked about in his podcast interview the importance of the parents and interviewing them. Probably some red flags there with Miller if you look. I don't think he'd touch this player after his experience he alluded to with DeAngelo.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Context, he wrote an apology letter from his court case. Maybe he just wants to move forward and is really embarrassed by himself.....or maybe he's a psycho? He seems to be moving forward, putting up obstacles now serves no one.

Which the victim never actually received, it was also court mandated. The judge in the case said he showed little remorse, in team interviews from this past draft teams said he interviewed horribly saying again he showed no remorse and didn't want to actually talk about it. Then he sends a letter to 31 NHL teams apologizing, but not the victim, and he won't acknowledge it in actual face-to-face (or zoom call) interviews.

Like someone mentioned previously, he is apologizing that he got caught, he isn't apologizing for the behaviour.

Yeah he is trying to move on, by acting like his previous behaviour never existed, f*** this kid, his family and his representatives.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
You know what's funny? This Summer/Fall has be a real eye-opener for all of us when it comes to NHL vocabulary or vernacular. We all learned together. We learned that the league "Sanctioned" our picks by stripping us of them. We learned that the team "Renounced" the draft rights of Mitchell Miller by simply forfeiting them. I don't know about you guys, but I hadn't really considered these concepts until very recently, let alone what terminology to use when discussing them.

LOL

images

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

At least there's that.

Or he'd have gone much earlier (he would have), if not for his previous transgressions.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
He provided a written letter of apology, something the family can refer to and cherish for a lifetime.

Source for the family actually receiving the letter, because last I heard (which was yesterday when the story broke) the family never got the letter.

The only "apology" letters that were received were NHL teams getting ones in the hopes he gets drafted.

If we really was remorseful, meet the kid face to f***ing face and apologize like a man. But no, writes a fake apology letter than is court mandated and then the victim doesn't actually get said letter.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Which the victim never actually received, it was also court mandated.
This is incorrect. The MC family did receive the court mandated apology letter.
The judge in the case said he showed little remorse, in team interviews from this past draft teams said he interviewed horribly saying again he showed no remorse and didn't want to actually talk about it. Then he sends a letter to 31 NHL teams apologizing, but not the victim, and he won't acknowledge it in actual face-to-face (or zoom call) interviews.
I have never seen any NHL team source quoted as saying he interviewed "horribly' nor anything directly referencing his level of remorse. Can you cite any of this? Or cite the bit about refusing to talk about it to NHL clubs face-to-face or on Zoom? This is very specific language you're using here and I've followed this pretty closely and haven't seen it before.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Which the victim never actually received, it was also court mandated. The judge in the case said he showed little remorse, in team interviews from this past draft teams said he interviewed horribly saying again he showed no remorse and didn't want to actually talk about it. Then he sends a letter to 31 NHL teams apologizing, but not the victim, and he won't acknowledge it in actual face-to-face (or zoom call) interviews.

Like someone mentioned previously, he is apologizing that he got caught, he isn't apologizing for the behaviour.

Yeah he is trying to move on, by acting like his previous behaviour never existed, f*** this kid, his family and his representatives.
It was Court mandated, if it wasn't done his sentence has not been served. I doubt that is the case. Of course he is trying to move on, it was an absolutely terrible thing to do and probably rather embarrassing.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You know what's funny? This Summer/Fall has be a real eye-opener for all of us when it comes to NHL vocabulary or vernacular. We all learned together. We learned that the league "Sanctioned" our picks by stripping us of them. We learned that the team "Renounced" the draft rights of Mitchell Miller by simply forfeiting them. I don't know about you guys, but I hadn't really considered these concepts until very recently, let alone what terminology to use when discussing them.

LOL

images

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Source for the family actually receiving the letter, because last I heard (which was yesterday when the story broke) the family never got the letter.

The only "apology" letters that were received were NHL teams getting ones in the hopes he gets drafted.

If we really was remorseful, meet the kid face to f***ing face and apologize like a man. But no, writes a fake apology letter than is court mandated and then the victim doesn't actually get said letter.

Forgive me if I don't rely on your hearsay, or your skillful ability to determine that the letter was fake.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Well, for starters, neither BA nor Plandowski was involved in this pick. One of BA's hires was.

Plandowski talked about in his podcast interview the importance of the parents and interviewing them. Probably some red flags there with Miller if you look. I don't think he'd touch this player after his experience he alluded to with DeAngelo.

I'm not blaming BA or Plandowski. But I'm disappointed BA seemed pleased with the pick to start with.

Everyone around that scouting table at draft day must have been aware of the issue with Miller. That none of them raised a red flag and said 'no way' doesn't speak well for them. And if they weren't aware of the issue, it does not speak highly of their professional competence. The scouting community at large were well aware of the problem with Miller so I don't buy that the Coyotes did not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad