2020/21 Roster Thread IV: A New Hope

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last year, despite being one of the most dump heavy teams in the league, Flyers had:

44.9% Carry-ins
55.1% Dumps

Pretty much every team in the NHL is between 45-55 one way or another.

This year? i would *guess* that last game they had the closest split... and I doubt it was over 50. I believe the 2nd period of last game was the first time they had more controlled entries than dumps in a period all year.

Though I could be wrong. But I would guess they are at like a 40-60 split this year.

Reactions: Striiker

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
They got away from what they did well come playoff time because they were forced into it. MTL and NYI dictated the pace and forced the Flyers to play their games. I will agree that the gapping between the D and forwards are way too big, which was the primary cause for the high volume of turnovers and icings. That should be an easy fix though. As far as zone entries, I still maintain with the roster constructed as is, their best chance of attack is to use their North-South speed and retrieve dump ins, and use whatever speed they have left to establish a cycle and outskate opposing Dmen. Once they engage with Dmen, especially bigger ones, behind the net and in the corners, it’s often an easy seperation from the puck and it’s out of the zone

It should be, but we're two playoff series and a few games into the new season where it doesn't appear that a change has been made. To me - this is very concerning.

Reactions: Magua and Striiker

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I want whatever Colorado is drinking

capture5-png.386477

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Basically what I’m trying to say is that the Flyers Exit philosophy is exactly like the evolution of a platypus. They have all these parts that in theory look good, but when you put them together it just comes out looking like a sideshow.

The platypus has lasted a long time, and the Flyers are 3-1. Nature doesn't care how you survive, "you win or you die out" in the evolutionary GOT.

We saw a lot of these problems early last season, then as they got their game legs and bought into AV's scheme they weren't as apparent, it may simply be that some players revert to bad habits. In the bubble, it was obvious they weren't skating as well as in the spring, and what worked when they were flying down the ice was exposed when they were merely gliding. Or why we probably shouldn't be too concerned until February, when their conditioning will have improved and they'll have a month of practice and game play to work out the kinks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
what a f***ing p***y.

Well, next man up. Bunny, start hopping.

Bunnaman is not untalented, once he lost weight last year he skated pretty well, certainly is willing to hit, just needs more confidence in his offense.

And it's time for Friedman to "put up or shut up," that is, at 25 either he's ready to start in the NHL or he'll probably never be more than an AHL+ player.

I'm not enamoured with Laughton as a 3C, his defense in that role leaves something to be desired, and he's more of a scorer than a playmaker, but he's on a contract year and this is a chance for him to sell himself as a top 9 forward around the league.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I assume Friedman is next, but that's not exactly ideal either given his strengths and weaknesses. He should be the Hagg type, not slotted in with Hagg and Braun at the same time.

The platypus has lasted a long time, and the Flyers are 3-1. Nature doesn't care how you survive, "you win or you die out" in the evolutionary GOT.

We saw a lot of these problems early last season, then as they got their game legs and bought into AV's scheme they weren't as apparent, it may simply be that some players revert to bad habits. In the bubble, it was obvious they weren't skating as well as in the spring, and what worked when they were flying down the ice was exposed when they were merely gliding. Or why we probably shouldn't be too concerned until February, when their conditioning will have improved and they'll have a month of practice and game play to work out the kinks.

Vigneault teams in general typically get stronger as the season goes on. He's also notoriously resistant to tactical changes, so I'm just hoping for treading water until they find their way.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Well, next man up. Bunny, start hopping.

Bunnaman is not untalented, once he lost weight last year he skated pretty well, certainly is willing to hit, just needs more confidence in his offense.

And it's time for Friedman to "put up or shut up," that is, at 25 either he's ready to start in the NHL or he'll probably never be more than an AHL+ player.

I'm not enamoured with Laughton as a 3C, his defense in that role leaves something to be desired, and he's more of a scorer than a playmaker, but he's on a contract year and this is a chance for him to sell himself as a top 9 forward around the league.

I would rather put G back at Center than to have Laughton at 3C - something like:

Lindblom-Patrick-TK
JvR-Hayes-Farabee
NAK-Giroux-Jake
Bunny-Laughton-Raffl

Reactions: Audible Velvet

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Well, that certainly could have been worse. Sucks for Frost, but if Couturier is really back after the NJ series it's not a killer for the team. Fractured rib for Myers sucks, but again, seems like he shouldn't miss a ton of game time. Going to test the team's depth on defense, but Ghost should be back soon. That will leave the defense no worse off than it was before Myers went out, and will give him a chance to prove he should stick.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Basically what I’m trying to say is that the Flyers Exit philosophy is exactly like the evolution of a platypus. They have all these parts that in theory look good, but when you put them together it just comes out looking like a sideshow.
More like a f***ing smoke show

Sco Plats

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad