Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Ontario sure is going to be icing an exciting team next season. Possibly the best crop of prospects the Kings will ice on their farm team since the 2004-05 Manchester Monarchs.

And this is why it is so important that they nailed the AHL coaching hire. Forget prepping them for the big club's system. This is all about making sure the kids reach their potential.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
None of this means Tucotte is trash or will be trash. I'm still optimistic he will be a Top 6 center but I'm definitely concerned that he isn't going to fully be what we were expecting. I'm also extremely relieved that we are sitting at 2OA in this draft and hope they take Byfield since there will be less pressure on Turcotte to need to be a full-fledged 1C as all of that pressure will be on Byfield.

The Kings aren't going to come out and say stuff to hurt Turcotte's confidence regarding his season, but a big part of wanting him out of Wisconsin and then firing Stothers and hiring Wroblewski is to get Turcotte on the right path. Gun to their head: I think Management would tell you it wasn't what they hoped in regards to Turcotte's season. I'm not a Blake fan but look at them being proactive to try and get his development back on track. It's not just a happy coincidence that Wrobs was Turcotte's coach at the Program.
I'm okay with Turcotte not being a top 6 center if he's the best 3rd line centerman in the NHL behind Byfield/Vilardi.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
And this is why it is so important that they nailed the AHL coaching hire. Forget prepping them for the big club's system. This is all about making sure the kids reach their potential.

I feel bad for strothers. But with this many quality prospects, the kings needed the best development guy available.

I'm really hoping the kings can get Dusty Imoo back.

Reactions: cyclones22

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Ontario sure is going to be icing an exciting team next season. Possibly the best crop of prospects the Kings will ice on their farm team since the 2004-05 Manchester Monarchs.
Always fun to see a bunch of new guys, for sure. As fans we have great expectations, but experience is a good teacher, so it may take them some time to adjust, much like last year, when the team played better after going through are really long tough stretch from Nov to early Jan. Difficult league for 19 and 20 year olds in their first pro season. I hope we get another vet or two, and someone a bit more skilled that's a middleweight for the nights Doty does not dress (which is frequent) for an added layer of protection. I will say though that the AHL is really starting to loose a lot of it's fighting reputation, it's starting to move closer to the NHL in that regard as every season passes.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Always fun to see a bunch of new guys, for sure. As fans we have great expectations, but experience is a good teacher, so it may take them some time to adjust, much like last year, when the team played better after going through are really long tough stretch from Nov to early Jan. Difficult league for 19 and 20 year olds in their first pro season. I hope we get another vet or two, and someone a bit more skilled that's a middleweight for the nights Doty does not dress (which is frequent) for an added layer of protection. I will say though that the AHL is really starting to loose a lot of it's fighting reputation, it's starting to move closer to the NHL in that regard as every season passes.

Would be great if they found a player who was both useful as a player who could add some toughness, like what they had in the past with the likes of Tom Kostopoulos or Brad Smyth.

In a recent podcast with All the Kings Men, I believe Rich Seeley mentioned something about adding some veterans to the lineup.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Would be great if they found a player who was both useful as a player who could add some toughness, like what they had in the past with the likes of Tom Kostopoulos or Brad Smyth.

In a recent podcast with All the Kings Men, I believe Rich Seeley mentioned something about adding some veterans to the lineup.
Yeah, I heard that too. Bouma can bring some physical play and toughness, not big dropper of the gloves though, and he took way too many hooking penalties last year. I don't believe he is under contract. There are going to be some NHL players loosing their spots around the league this year with the CAP issues. Maybe the Kings sign a player that they don't expect to make the NHL roster, similar to Frk last season.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I heard that too. Bouma can bring some physical play and toughness, not big dropper of the gloves though, and he took way too many hooking penalties last year. I don't believe he is under contract. There are going to be some NHL players loosing their spots around the league this year with the CAP issues. Maybe the Kings sign a player that they don't expect to make the NHL roster, similar to Frk last season.

I also wonder if the Kings would bring back Tim Schaller to fill that role.

Similar to Bouma, I think a few of these players might be able to slot into that AHL veteran role on a two-way contract who could earn a call up to the Kings in case of injuries. Not all of these guys are tough, but some options to consider who can at least add experience to a rather young Reign roster.

Dale Weise
Austin Czarnik
Zac Rinaldo
Jordan Nolan
Scott Wilson
Chris Stewart
Alan Quine
Kurtis Gabriel
Liam O'Brien
Tyler Graovac
Paul Thompson
Michael Liambis, who is best remembered for taking this beating from MacDermid.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
It will be a very active and interesting offseason for everyone. Everyone will cut salary...Penguins going with a $70 million cap. Now would be a good time to try to improve the roster if ownership wants to spend the money. There might be some good players available due to not being able to move their bad contracts.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think it would be good for the Kings to move on from all former players who had a hand in leading them back into the black hole. so let's all say goodbye to Toffoli, Clifford, Lewis and believe it or not somebody suggested Jordan Nolan. Think of this like when your parents took your baby blanket and threw it in the fireplace. I'll be proactive and include Justin Williams on the list too,

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think it would be good for the Kings to move on from all former players who had a hand in leading them back into the black hole. so let's all say goodbye to Toffoli, Clifford, Lewis and believe it or not somebody suggested Jordan Nolan. Think of this like when your parents took your baby blanket and threw it in the fireplace. I'll be proactive and include Justin Williams on the list too,

Bring in Ryan Flinn?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The Hockey Writers have their midseason prospect rankings. Nothing more recent.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-prospects/

Top Pool: Kings
Kings Top Prospect: Turcotte

NHL top 100 (previous)
86) Grundstrom (90)
73) Thomas (unranked)
67) Fagemo (95)
55) Björnfot
31) Kupari (39)
15) Kaliyev (26)
2) Turcotte (7)

quoting myself because it's been updated.

87) Grundstrom (86)
75) Madden (84)
70) Thomas (73)
59) Fagemo (67)
52) Björnfot (55)
32) Vilardi (not ranked)
30) Kupari (31)
14) Kaliyev (15)
3) Turcotte (2)

Reactions: Schrute farms

Token

May 15, 2019
An interesting angle with the crazy Rona times and messed up season to come ...

Older players with back-diving contracts like Brown and Carter will actually make more money if they are bought out than if they play out their contracts.

Buyouts are 2/3 of remaining salary.

Escrow and deferral is projected to be 3/5 of contract salary paid out over the next two years plus whenever the delay payments happen.

Crazy times.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
An interesting angle with the crazy Rona times and messed up season to come ...

Older players with back-diving contracts like Brown and Carter will actually make more money if they are bought out than if they play out their contracts.

Buyouts are 2/3 of remaining salary.

Escrow and deferral is projected to be 3/5 of contract salary paid out over the next two years plus whenever the delay payments happen.

Crazy times.
Why then would teams, especially a team like the Kings, buy them out in this case?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Kings still have the #1 prospect pool but it doesn't count the upcoming draft.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

The Los Angeles Kings are absolutely terrifying. Not at the NHL level though. They are coming off of a very bad season, but the Kings’ future is looking extremely good when you look at the system.
Alex Turcotte leads the pack, as a top-NHL prospect. He’s a very well-rounded, two-way centre with elite potential. He’s an excellent skater and can pile up the points. He may just be the perfect replacement for Anze Kopitar.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I am still shaking my head at the decision to have the draft on weekdays. People want to watch and the show is a revenue source.
Why air it the in the middle of a workday"?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I am still shaking my head at the decision to have the draft on weekdays. People want to watch and the show is a revenue source.

Round 1 is still in prime time, and that's all most people care about. So record rounds 2-7, avoid twitter, nhl.com etc during the work day, watch when you get home.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

As much as I enjoy the draft (last year was the fifth one I've attended in person), the NHL's is a bit of a niche audience. The average fan isn't going to know the different between Cole Perfetti, Alexander Holtz, Lucas Raymond, etc. I remember being at the draft in Minnesota and there was a father/son combo sitting next to me who asked about prospects that the Wild could pick. I could have made up names and they wouldn't have known the difference. At Chicago in 2017 after the Blackhawks took Henri Jokiharju, the guy next to me did the usual "WOOO YEAH". Then he sat down and asked me for info on Jokiharju since he had no idea who he was.

Might be rough this year since it'd be going against an MLB playoff game regardless of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad