Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002

Edmundson off the table now.

Wow. Montreal fans not happy. Paraphrasing their board bit feel he is redundant and they have younger players they want to give time. One guy posted stats showing he was one of the worst defenseman in the league last year. I will still take him.

funky

Mar 9, 2002
I encourage everyone to listen to the last Kings of the podcast......, the Kopitar segment.

he just exudes hockey sense.

gives his thoughts in some of the young guys. Speakers high of Mikey Anderson, thinks Lizotte did well but wants to see more. He liked what he saw out of Kempe by seasons end and wonders if it was the switch to wing that helped. Though Gabe did well coming back and putting up points. Comments on Frks howitzer and how they will be looking to feed him.

He was told that the Kings might pick Byfield at 2 and he is has been compared to Kopitar. When asked if he would want another Kopitar on the team Kopi thought that would be awesome

Kopitar then went on to state that people shouldn’t be to quick to rush prospects.
It’s a great listen.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Not the end of the world with Edmondson going to the Habs. Would've liked to have signed him, but I wonder if he was going to want more than 2 years. We just need a short term solution and I wouldn't be surprised at this point that we just bring back Hutton. He's already familiar with the system and probably knows he really won't get a better deal anywhere else.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Like Dunn, I think Jake Virtanen is an RFA the Kings can acquire at a discount from a team with cap issues. He’s put up increasing point totals every year of his ELC, and scored 18 goals this year in a shortened season. Canucks fans are down on him because he projects as a bottom six forward after being drafted 6OA in 2014.

But he’s a big right wing who’s 24 yo, and would look very nice in the Kings lineup. Plus he’s willing to play physical and drop the gloves, so he’ll give you 45 PIMS, replacing some of what we lost from Clifford. And if he signs with LA for a couple of years and is productive, it buys some time for guys like Thomas, Fagemo and Kaliyev to develop.

My guess is he wants a bridge deal for around 3.5M x 2 years, which I think VAN struggles to accommodate. With the nhl 2021 start date TBD, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him hold out. And he could be exposed in the expansion draft if he wasn’t playing well after 1 season.

If VAN has to choose Virtanen at 3.5M versus Toffoli at 3.85M x 5 years, I think Virtanen is available. And if VAN wants to resign their goalie, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them trade or buy out 34 yo Jay Beagle, leaving open a spot as a bottom 4 C.

So who knows, maybe the Kings could get Virtanen for Amadio and a late pick. Amadio can replace Beagle on a 1 year cheap contract, and the Canucks get cap space to make other moves. If the Kings get Virtanen and Dunn (and Steen, for Clague plus a pick) into the lineup, I think the following roster is an 85 pt team in a full season.

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
Wagner Lizotte Carter
Moore JAD Virtanen
Luff Steen

Dunn Doughty
MacD Roy
Anderson Walker
Hutton

Petersen
Quick

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Like Dunn, I think Jake Virtanen is an RFA the Kings can acquire at a discount from a team with cap issues. He’s put up increasing point totals every year of his ELC, and scored 18 goals this year in a shortened season. Canucks fans are down on him because he projects as a bottom six forward after being drafted 6OA in 2014.

But he’s a big right wing who’s 24 yo, and would look very nice in the Kings lineup. Plus he’s willing to play physical and drop the gloves, so he’ll give you 45 PIMS, replacing some of what we lost from Clifford. And if he signs with LA for a couple of years and is productive, it buys some time for guys like Thomas, Fagemo and Kaliyev to develop.

My guess is he wants a bridge deal for around 3.5M x 2 years, which I think VAN struggles to accommodate. With the nhl 2021 start date TBD, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him hold out. And he could be exposed in the expansion draft if he wasn’t playing well after 1 season.

If VAN has to choose Virtanen at 3.5M versus Toffoli at 3.85M x 5 years, I think Virtanen is available. And if VAN wants to resign their goalie, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them trade or buy out 34 yo Jay Beagle, leaving open a spot as a bottom 4 C.

So who knows, maybe the Kings could get Virtanen for Amadio and a late pick. Amadio can replace Beagle on a 1 year cheap contract, and the Canucks get cap space to make other moves. If the Kings get Virtanen and Dunn (and Steen, for Clague plus a pick) into the lineup, I think the following roster is an 85 pt team in a full season.

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
Wagner Lizotte Carter
Moore JAD Virtanen
Luff Steen

Dunn Doughty
MacD Roy
Anderson Walker
Hutton

Petersen
Quick

I think they could get more for him than that, but do agree he seems available.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

funky

Mar 9, 2002

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
Wagner Lizotte Carter
Moore JAD Virtanen
Luff Steen

Dunn Doughty
MacD Roy
Anderson Walker
Hutton

Petersen
Quick

good observation. Never thought about him. He would be a nice addition. Do we have an update on Carter yet? Is he a for sure to start next season? Never hurts to have depth and Virtanen in our bottom 6 looks good.

Token

May 15, 2019

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
Wagner Lizotte Carter
Moore JAD Virtanen
Luff Steen

Dunn Doughty
MacD Roy
Anderson Walker
Hutton

Petersen
Quick
I was going to like your post but then you stuck Moore in there ... ;)

Drop him to the AHL and plug Byfield in for at least 9 games, then if needed slide Turcotte there. :)

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I was going to like your post but then you stuck Moore in there ... ;)

Drop him to the AHL and plug Byfield in for at least 9 games, then if needed slide Turcotte there. :)

Moore > Wagner, Carter.
Grundstrom > Wagner, Carter

Grundstrom had 17 goals with Frolunda in 35 games at age 20. Wagner would not have made the Frolunda team or had 2 to 3 goals at best.
If you think Wagner could score 17 goals in 35 games with Frolunda...and it's not just about goal scoring, Carl is a much better hockey player.

Just because Grundstrom has not quite cut it yet, does not mean he's not going to. If he had 15% the chance Wagner has had - he would
be playing regularly. Many nights, Grindstrom was the best player for the Reign. I hope he gets good game experience with Bjorkloven and
comes ready to take a spot.

Reactions: CanadianKingsFan14

Token

May 15, 2019
Moore > Wagner, Carter.
Grundstrom > Wagner, Carter

Grundstrom had 17 goals with Frolunda in 35 games at age 20. Wagner would not have made the Frolunda team or had 2 to 3 goals at best.
If you think Wagner could score 17 goals in 35 games with Frolunda...and it's not just about goal scoring, Carl is a much better hockey player.

Just because Grundstrom has not quite cut it yet, does not mean he's not going to. If he had 15% the chance Wagner has had - he would
be playing regularly. Many nights, Grindstrom was the best player for the Reign. I hope he gets good game experience with Bjorkloven and
comes ready to take a spot.
Oh, no doubt Grundy has a path. Loved what he did right after the trade when he crashed the net and got them greasy goals. I liked his style then, like it even more now that we drafted speed-skill guys. We need that bull in the china shop top of the crease.

But don’t discount Wags and what he brings. Kid gone drawn 84 penalties is 65 games last season.

Yeah, it would have been swell if he converted some of those breakouts, but he also gets hacked and whacked while doing this. If he ups his shooting % by a point or few, he will be way worth keeping, especially in the bottom 6 against lower qualcomp.

There is room for both fortunately and their contracts indicate this.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
Wagner Lizotte Carter
Moore JAD Virtanen
Luff Steen

Dunn Doughty
MacD Roy
Anderson Walker
Hutton

Petersen
Quick

You're going to trade for Virtanen, give him a $2m raise, and play him on the 4th line? I get what Steen is, but you're going to have a $3.5m healthy scratch?

Do the Kings have this kind of money to throw around?

Reactions: Jungle Boy

funky

Mar 9, 2002
You're going to trade for Virtanen, give him a $2m raise, and play him on the 4th line? I get what Steen is, but you're going to have a $3.5m healthy scratch?

Do the Kings have this kind of money to throw around?

Would be pricey for a 4th liner but would be okay for a third line guy (which I think he is) that could pot 15 goals a year, throw some hits and I believe he still skates well. Not much of a fighter so he is not replacing the skills that Cliffy brought.

I would have Brown and Frk ahead of him on the depth charts and Wagner and maybe Luff fighting for spots on the right side with him. Who am I missing? I believe Grundstrom can play both wings but isn't he normally a LW. I don't think Kaliyev will be anywhere near ready this year.

I might sign him for a 2 year contract if the Canucks let him go. There still may be some room to grow. 3.5 would not kill us for two years but at the same time I wonder if Luff couldn't do the same damage for a 1/4 the price. If Grundstrom can play the right side then I would pass on Virtanen and use next season to see what we actually have in house. Its not like we are fighting for the cup.

I guess I completely forgot about Carter. The guy can no longer be a center, there does not appear to be a spot in the top 6 for him, does he slot in as our 3rd line RW?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
In the above scenario our RW depth would be: Brown, Carter/Virtanen, Carter/Virtanen, Frk.

Frk is a feel good story but has a low ceiling in comparison to someone like Virtanen. Virtanen would be given every opportunity to continue his development and be a long term core piece here.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Would be pricey for a 4th liner but would be okay for a third line guy (which I think he is) that could pot 15 goals a year, throw some hits and I believe he still skates well. Not much of a fighter so he is not replacing the skills that Cliffy brought.

I would have Brown and Frk ahead of him on the depth charts and Wagner and maybe Luff fighting for spots on the right side with him. Who am I missing? I believe Grundstrom can play both wings but isn't he normally a LW. I don't think Kaliyev will be anywhere near ready this year.

I might sign him for a 2 year contract if the Canucks let him go. There still may be some room to grow. 3.5 would not kill us for two years but at the same time I wonder if Luff couldn't do the same damage for a 1/4 the price. If Grundstrom can play the right side then I would pass on Virtanen and use next season to see what we actually have in house. Its not like we are fighting for the cup.

I guess I completely forgot about Carter. The guy can no longer be a center, there does not appear to be a spot in the top 6 for him, does he slot in as our 3rd line RW?

Most likely. The most likely opening day lineup we see (excluding prospects breaking out in camp) is probably something like this;

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Frk
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Carter
Wagner - Amadio - Moore

I do wonder if the Kings sign Clifford and have have Carter like up as the third/fourth line center.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Vilardi - Frk
Clifford - Carter - Grundstrom
Wagner - Lizotte - Moore

funky

Mar 9, 2002
With all the prospects that we have, and we have many really solid ones I still see our center position at this moment as very weak.

I still see Kopitar as an elite center due to the to a game he plays. I love what we saw in Vilardi but he has played 10 NHL games and has health problems in the past. I like Lizotte as our 4th line guy and I see JAD as a solid 4th line guy. We really do not have a true solid number three center at this point and all it takes is Filardi having a slow start or a cup of her getting hurt and we really have no center depth at all.

This may be the main reason I want the Kings to draft Byfield and I don’t want anything to do with the Turcotte trade at this point.

In two years if everyone projects to be as good as we expect and we don’t see a major regression in Kopitar then we can determine whether we can trade our better center prospects.

if we can go into the 2022 season with Kopitar, Byfield, and Turcotte as our top 3 centers and Vilardi and possibly a Kupari or Madden can make successful transitions to wing we could be very deep, skilled, and young in our top 9 with internal replacements for injuries to our centers

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I saw that.

So many teams are going to feel the pain even with the 20% escrow. Operations for the bulk of the NHL depended on gate receipts and everything associated with fans in seats.

I think the offseason is going to be bad. So many other fanbases are going to be in for a rude awakening.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I saw that.

So many teams are going to feel the pain even with the 20% escrow. Operations for the bulk of the NHL depended on gate receipts and everything associated with fans in seats.

I think the offseason is going to be bad. So many other fanbases are going to be in for a rude awakening.
I think the owners are going to come to realize 20% escrow wasn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad