Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
What are top level numbers? Goals, Assists and Points? The same numbers we use to (IMO correctly) sing the praises of Kaliyev?, seems to be a bit of a double standard. Turcotte struggled offensively, especially against the best teams he faced on their schedule and struggled in the defensive zone (although this was true of the whole team)

If this were like the old days and NCAA players weren't drafted until after their freshman seasons where do you think he goes in this years draft? I think it's very likely a decent ways down from where he went last year, so that is why I use "Huge Disappointment" to describe his season. If someone is drafted Top 5 and a year later they are going in the second half of round 1 I would call it a huge disappointment, but I guess we can agree to disagree.
Yes, I mean the basic points totals. I completely agree that they get used out of context all of the time, both for and against players. Happy to agree to disagree though, I do get where you are coming from but I’m happy to give each of the prospects a little time as that’s the nature of the beast. So in Turcotte case, yes a little concern, but not to the point of wanting to move on. His upside means there’s a good chance we’d regret that, big time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Lot of US players at the WJC didn't look too great, Caufield only netted a single goal. The big standout to me was Trevor Zegras (who was the player I really liked in 2019).

Then again, even the top two picks from that draft looked out of place in the NHL, and Dach also had his ups and downs in his rookie year where he had one assist in 28 games, then he turned it on in these playoffs, and Kakko had zero points in the playoffs.

A couple of names I'll point out who are former collegiate players selected in the first round in 2016 who didn't put up mind blowing numbers in college and in the NHL are Tyson Jost and Luke Kunin. Jost went from the BCHL (where he put up massive numbers) to North Dakota where his stats were okay, he turned pro after one season, and he's been more or less a productive bottom sixer.

Whereas Luke Kunin spent two years at UND, but his numbers didn't improve considerably and he's spent some time in the minors where he's had some success and he just enjoyed his most productive season in the NHL.

That's what Alex Turcotte could become. Or he could be better. He'd have to really fall of a cliff to be less productive versions of those players. He only played in 29 games in 2019-20, and 5 WJC games. That's not a lot of hockey. His draft year the year prior he got to appear in 60 games. I think the bigger challenge of AHL hockey might serve him well in the upcoming season.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hope the people turfing Turcotte right now will wear it when the bill is due, because the people turfing Vilardi sure walked right back into the weeds.

Even with the injury/illness he still scored at the same pace as Toews did on a far superior ND squad. And I don't see anyone now using TJ Oshie, Drew Stafford, or Travis Zajac's seasons against him.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Respect the hell out of your opinion, but have to disagree, he was a huge disappointment last year, both ends of the ice. He only had a 1+8 line in in 21 Big Ten games, that is disgusting for a Top 5 pick.

Not writing him off after a disappointing D+1 season, plenty of others have bounced back, certainly don't want to see him traded for a lesser D prospect. But he had a very disappointing season relative to what other higher end prospects have done in that conference. I think a Dylan Larkin type of freshman season (and similar NHL career) was fair to expect when the Kings took him with the #5 pick. I think it's fair to say he's way behind where Larkin was after D+1 season.

Dylan Larkin's Michigan Team was just a tad better, don't you think? Larkin, Werenski, Compher, Motte, Copp, Nieves, and similarly to Caulfield, Zach Hyman scored 22 goals, 7 more than Larkin.

Turcotte was asked to be Mr. Everything for a basement Big 10 team in comparison to the two powerhouses listed and still produced well despite an ugly 10 game stretch due to injury/illness.

But I see we've re-entered the "stop enjoying our system" phase of the summer so maybe I should step back out.

Last edited:

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Man Turcotte has hit a nerve on here.

No one is clamoring to trade him or saying he is a bust. Hypothetical trade discussion is not clamoring for a trade.

I think LA hopes he can be a legit second line center in a complete package. If he puts on some bulk and stays healthy he has a shot. He was always touted as a well rounded hard worker.

His season wasn’t superb but it wasn’t abysmal either. He will be a solid player but like all prospects needs to put in the work.

I do think that the USA program may have been a bit overrated. Turcotte is no Hughes and even he needs to adjust at the NHL level. Time will tell but he has a long way to go before becoming a bust. I think the fact people even question it is putting us fan boys on edge. I trust the scouts tho. Even with Hickeys and all.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Dylan Larkin's Michigan Team was just a tad better, don't you think? Larkin, Werenski, Compher, Motte, Copp, Nieves, and similarly to Caulfield, Zach Hyman scored 22 goals, 7 more than Larkin.

Turcotte was asked to be Mr. Everything for a basement Big 10 team in comparison to the two powerhouses listed and still produced well despite an ugly 10 game stretch due to injury/illness.

But I see we've re-entered the "stop enjoying our system" phase of the summer so maybe I should step back out.

Parts of this post are so ridiculously that I had to double check the name, quite a disappointing take from you, thinking anyone is negative about the entire system because one player had a disappointing year. You think fans are actively rooting against a prospect because they say he had a crappy year? BigKing said, three of the four from last draft exceeded expectations and saw their stock rise, I agreed with him, but since we aren't completely on board with all four people like us are against the entire system? Quite the take. I had nothing against Turcotte, check my posts going into the draft, he is who I wanted over Byram and Dach. I'm just simply stating facts, the guy really struggled offensively against the best competition he played last year and the lines he played on were on the ice for a ton of goals. He did not look the part that some of the other dominant players that have come through this conference in recent years, disappointing for a top 5 pick, sorry if that makes me a hater.

Yeah, Larkin was on a better team, did the better team make him a dominant two-way player in the NCAA from the moment he stepped on the ice? make him a goal-per-game player at the WJC as an 18 year old? Make the senior national team as an 18 year old? 2nd liner in the NHL at 19?

And was a Larkin type career path to much to ask for a Top 5 pick? I think if it was, then maybe the player isn't as good as we thought? I was hoping that by this time we would be penciling in our Top 5 Is that really such a controversial take?

Honest question because I know you follow closely, if Turcotte were draft eligible this season where does he go in the draft? And why can't that be discussed in relation to his stock?

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Oh man, hope we don't talk about trading Byfield/Stutzle if they don't pan out after a year of being drafted.

If they aren't ready for the NHL a year from now it will be a red flag for a #2 overall pick. Byfield will almost surely be with the Kings this coming season.

Reactions: Rusty Batch

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If they aren't ready for the NHL a year from now it will be a red flag for a #2 overall pick. Byfield will almost surely be with the Kings this coming season.

Sure. But not if they don't start the season until January 1st, I assume they would let him go to Sudbury for a couple weeks (or I guess he could stay in training camp) and then go play in the WJC, then come back to play 9 games and they make a decision.

Development time should be the advantage of the non-traditional markets, most people attending games (when allowed) or watching games aren't gonna know if he's playing or not, no pressure for financial gain to play the guy.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man Turcotte has hit a nerve on here.

No one is clamoring to trade him or saying he is a bust. Hypothetical trade discussion is not clamoring for a trade.

I think LA hopes he can be a legit second line center in a complete package. If he puts on some bulk and stays healthy he has a shot. He was always touted as a well rounded hard worker.

His season wasn’t superb but it wasn’t abysmal either. He will be a solid player but like all prospects needs to put in the work.

I do think that the USA program may have been a bit overrated. Turcotte is no Hughes and even he needs to adjust at the NHL level. Time will tell but he has a long way to go before becoming a bust. I think the fact people even question it is putting us fan boys on edge. I trust the scouts tho. Even with Hickeys and all.

That part I wholly agree with, it was hard to get on board with like the entire program getting drafted in the first round.

Parts of this post are so ridiculously that I had to double check the name, quite a disappointing take from you, thinking anyone is negative about the entire system because one player had a disappointing year. You think fans are actively rooting against a prospect because they say he had a crappy year? BigKing said, three of the four from last draft exceeded expectations and saw their stock rise, I agreed with him, but since we aren't completely on board with all four people like us are against the entire system? Quite the take. I had nothing against Turcotte, check my posts going into the draft, he is who I wanted over Byram and Dach. I'm just simply stating facts, the guy really struggled offensively against the best competition he played last year and the lines he played on were on the ice for a ton of goals. He did not look the part that some of the other dominant players that have come through this conference in recent years, disappointing for a top 5 pick, sorry if that makes me a hater.

Yeah, Larkin was on a better team, did the better team make him a dominant two-way player in the NCAA from the moment he stepped on the ice? make him a goal-per-game player at the WJC as an 18 year old? Make the senior national team as an 18 year old? 2nd liner in the NHL at 19?

And was a Larkin type career path to much to ask for a Top 5 pick? I think if it was, then maybe the player isn't as good as we thought? I was hoping that by this time we would be penciling in our Top 5 Is that really such a controversial take?

Honest question because I know you follow closely, if Turcotte were draft eligible this season where does he go in the draft? And why can't that be discussed in relation to his stock?

It doesn't make you a 'hater', it means the prospect comparison is kind of off when you're taking a guy insulated by a powerhouse team and program and comparing him to a guy plugged into a total shitshow and asked to be Batman.

It's a little silly to call it a 'career path' when the guys have only played one year out of the draft. I think it's safe to assume that Turcotte will get most of the year in the AHL and some NHL time--but not because he can't play. If he's not playing regularly in the NHL at 20, then I'll agree, even though he's the type of player I think would benefit from more strength training than that. But this is the issue I have with the criticism--taking one year with some easily explainable caveats as a 'trajectory.'

And so we're clear, Larkin simply surviving in the NHL at 19 isn't impressive. He didn't break out until age 21 either. His first two season he was scoring at a 37 point pace. If it's overrating Turcotte to think he could do at least that next year, then so be it.

I guess ultimately if it were THIS draft, Turcotte would be in the crazy big tier behind the top 3, anywhere from 4-9. I'd still have a hard choice between him and Raymond but he's at worst comparable to the others. And that's overall my real point, people are acting like he's tumbled down a cliff.

Edit: i see i may have glossed over a key point too, that being the idea that you have to be relentlessly positive about all four picks--frankly, I'm not. I don't think Kaliyev or Fagemo really advanced their stock, I think they progressed as normal. Nice WJCs, but that's all they are. Kaliyev just did more of the same and demonstrated he's bored w juniors while rounding out his game a little, ditto Fagemo but overseas. I do think Bjornfot took a step backwards then a step forwards and will be ready for half time at least nhl action this year. But I wouldn't say those guys took huge steps or anything just like I wouldn't say Turcotte took one backwards. No one knocked our socks off in a good or bad way (maybe Spence, but he's not part of this convo).

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wroblewski going to play a huge part in Turcotte's development next season. Interested in seeing how Turcotte, Thomas, Madden, Fagemo, Dudas, Kupari, etc. perform under him in the AHL.

"John has a proven background in working with young players and helping them develop their game,” Kings general manager Rob Blake said in a release by the team. “He’s a strong leader who communicates well and he’ll play an important role for our organization.”

Wroblewski said Monday: “The thing I really hold our club to be the utmost importance is to have a team that trusts each other and plays together within that attack mode. I’m a huge believer in leaning on the guy next to you."

Last edited:

Token

May 15, 2019
You talk about a 200 foot game, it's like you are conveniently forgetting that he was overpowered defensively last season in the Big Ten but are just confidently comparing him to multiple Selke winners.

And if you think taking a 50-70 point center with the #5 pick gives the team a better chance than an 80-90 point center with the same pick, I just don't know what to say, in 20+ years posting on this board that is one of the strangest takes I've ever heard.
I’m a happy optimistic kind of guy. Can’t imagine getting stuck in a world of doom, gloom, and downers.

If my “take” seems strange to you, the data is all there for anyone to see. Go back 10 years and see the makeup of the winning teams. Pens are the exception as noted, the rest have quality 70 point guys on non-superstar contracts.

It’s a package deal building a team for the long haul. It has to have balance. Where a kid gets drafted is less important than filling a team need well and with impact.

Turcotte will have an impact. That’s exactly why he was drafted that high in that draft class.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
And so we're clear, Larkin simply surviving in the NHL at 19 isn't impressive. He didn't break out until age 21 either. His first two season he was scoring at a 37 point pace. If it's overrating Turcotte to think he could do at least that next year, then so be it.

WHAT??

Larkin lead an NHL playoff team in goal-scoring as a teenage rookie, he was selected to the all-star team and was voted team MVP (again as a TEENAGER!), in what world is that "just surviving"? If Alex Turcotte had a season like that for the Kings this coming year this thread would be pinned on the top of the board.

Larkin had one poor season in the NHL. Maybe Turcotte's 18 year old season was like Larkin's 20 year old season, but I'd feel better knowing he had proven it at the NHL level.

I think they are a fair comparison, the Kings probably expected Turcotte to have a similar impact to Larkin, so comparing how they do in each age is relevant.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
WHAT??

Larkin lead an NHL playoff team in goal-scoring as a teenage rookie, he was selected to the all-star team and was voted team MVP (again as a TEENAGER!), in what world is that "just surviving"? If Alex Turcotte had a season like that for the Kings this coming year this thread would be pinned on the top of the board.

Larkin had one poor season in the NHL. Maybe Turcotte's 18 year old season was like Larkin's 20 year old season, but I'd feel better knowing he had proven it at the NHL level.

I think they are a fair comparison, the Kings probably expected Turcotte to have a similar impact to Larkin, so comparing how they do in each age is relevant.

Please tell me this is a f***ing joke.

He had ONE GOAL in the playoffs, tied with literally 8 other wings for one goal. You couldn't be more disingenuous if you tried.

Re the ASG, who the f*** else where they going to take off that shitty ass Detroit team other than a late 30s Zetterberg or Datyusk? Larkin was a fast, character shiny new toy and of course a good player.

I'm not even mocking Larkin's time in the NHL, you're just overromanticising Larkin while simultaneously discounting Turcotte and ignoring context because it's inconvenient. Yes, I think Turcotte could put up 37 points in the NHL next year. Acting like he can't is what's crazy.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Please tell me this is a f***ing joke.

He had ONE GOAL in the playoffs, tied with literally 8 other wings for one goal. You couldn't be more disingenuous if you tried.

Re the ASG, who the f*** else where they going to take off that shitty ass Detroit team other than a late 30s Zetterberg or Datyusk? Larkin was a fast, character shiny new toy and of course a good player.

I'm not even mocking Larkin's time in the NHL, you're just overromanticising Larkin while simultaneously discounting Turcotte and ignoring context because it's inconvenient.

He lead the Wings in goal-scoring as a teenager, I was talking about the entire season, not the playoffs.

I swear I'm living in some kind of twilight zone, earlier someone said they'd rather draft a 50-70 point player than an 80-90 point player and now I'm told a 19 year old who lead his NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE team in goal-scoring was "barely surviving"

How many teenage rookies in the last decade have had 20+ goals? Barely hanging on, my god.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He lead the Wings in goal-scoring as a teenager, I was talking about the entire season, not the playoffs.

I swear I'm living in some kind of twilight zone, earlier someone said they'd rather draft a 50-70 point player than an 80-90 point player and now I'm told a 19 year old who lead his NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE team in goal-scoring was "barely surviving"

How many teenage rookies in the last decade have had 20+ goals? Barely hanging on, my god.

Depends. If Turcotte puts up a 37 point pace though, you'll be first in line to eviscerate him, I'm sure.

This is just a very weird flash point to use to lay into a prospect that won't likely be on his NHL team full-time not because he can't but because he's not just being slapped as a band aid onto a bad team and is being developed properly.

But really this all comes back to the idea that you want to compare Larkin on a powerhouse Michigan squad to Turcotte on a shitshow last place Wisconsin squad with no nuance. The stuff that comes after has yet to transpire, anyway.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don't even understand either point. I will eviscerate Turcotte if he puts up identical stats to Larkin the next two seasons? Ummm ok.

Or are you saying Larkin shouldn't have been in the NHL at 19 and that somehow the difference in their development is one NHL team developing and one not? You seem to think it's unheard of or ridiculous for a Top 5 pick to be fighting for an NHL job at 19, it's really not.

4-6 picks from 2013-2017. 15 players. 11 of them were NHL regulars as 19 year olds. It is possible for Top 6 picks to have good enough D+1 years where they are ready to step into the NHL that next season, shocking I know.

I just think that it's fair to ask more of a Top 5 pick. You mention the talent difference on the teams they came into, well UW had three 1st round picks on their roster, plus Holloway who is going to be a 1st rounder this year. The rest of the roster was full of NHL drafted players. You seem to have it in your head that UW taking a dump this season was everyone else's fault, you seem to place zero blame on UW getting minimal out of the #2 recruit in the NCAA and a Top 5 NHL pick on Turcotte. No blame for one goal in 22 conference games, no blame for the most goals against of any forward on the roster, none at all, it's everyone elses fault. And if Larkin was somehow carried by his teammates how did he go dominate the WJC's as an 18 year old, then step into the AHL and be the best player on that team, and then seamlessly transition to the NHL. I have seen hundreds of college hockey games over the years, and I saw Alex Turcotte play in person four times this year, Alex Turcotte is good, I'm not disputing that, he is a highly skilled player, but I think he has more the look of a middle to late 1st rounder than a Top 5.

And I don't know why you think I have some irrational hatred for the guy, I was on here hoping that he was who the Kings took last year because I thought he could be a good 1C or an elite championship caliber 2C like a Richards or Larkin. Having seen him play multiple times now, I have changed that opinion. I don't think he will be as good as Richards was in his prime, or even Larkin is now. Not saying he will be a bust but if the Kings could get in a time machine the pick would 100% be different.

Last edited:

Token

May 15, 2019
That’s fair. I think you are stuck in the pre-salary cap era.

Hockey has changed.

Welcome to the now.

Seriously, using that logic from decades past and applying it to the top of the 2019 draft class both Hughes and Kakko would be total busts and Dach is the only guy worth drafting.

Too bad you can’t keep up.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Nobody is "turfing" Turcotte by saying they expected more out of him this past season. Herby isn't "turfing" him if he thinks he looked like a mid-to-late 1st rounder based on his limited in-person viewings which is still probably four more in-person viewings than 99% of us on here. Herby has been around and knows his hockey: if he didn't look like a 5OA pick in those games then so be it. It is a small sample size. One thing for sure though, however, is Herby isn't hoping to be right with that assessment. The notion that being negative about anything means you are rooting for the Kings to fail still doesn't hold water with me but that's another argument.

He's the highest Kings draft pick in 10 years and the biggest piece of the rebuild until the 2OA at this upcoming draft. You would have liked to have seen a D+1 season like Brayden Schenn's v. what we got when comparing the last draft pick this high. Schenn did nothing to dampen enthusiasm while Turcotte did not fully perform up to expectations. If Fagemo has a non-descript WJC and looked the same or a little worse in club play then that is a bit of a bummer but he wasn't taken at 5th overall.

None of this means Tucotte is trash or will be trash. I'm still optimistic he will be a Top 6 center but I'm definitely concerned that he isn't going to fully be what we were expecting. I'm also extremely relieved that we are sitting at 2OA in this draft and hope they take Byfield since there will be less pressure on Turcotte to need to be a full-fledged 1C as all of that pressure will be on Byfield.

The Kings aren't going to come out and say stuff to hurt Turcotte's confidence regarding his season, but a big part of wanting him out of Wisconsin and then firing Stothers and hiring Wroblewski is to get Turcotte on the right path. Gun to their head: I think Management would tell you it wasn't what they hoped in regards to Turcotte's season. I'm not a Blake fan but look at them being proactive to try and get his development back on track. It's not just a happy coincidence that Wrobs was Turcotte's coach at the Program.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't even understand either point. I will eviscerate Turcotte if he puts up identical stats to Larkin the next two seasons? Ummm ok.

Or are you saying Larkin shouldn't have been in the NHL at 19 and that somehow the difference in their development is one NHL team developing and one not? You seem to think it's unheard of or ridiculous for a Top 5 pick to be fighting for an NHL job at 19, it's really not.

4-6 picks from 2013-2017. 15 players. 11 of them were NHL regulars as 19 year olds. It is possible for Top 6 picks to have good enough D+1 years where they are ready to step into the NHL that next season, shocking I know.

I just think that it's fair to ask more of a Top 5 pick. You mention the talent difference on the teams they came into, well UW had three 1st round picks on their roster, plus Holloway who is going to be a 1st rounder this year. The rest of the roster was full of NHL drafted players. You seem to have it in your head that UW taking a dump this season was everyone else's fault, you seem to place zero blame on UW getting minimal out of the #2 recruit in the NCAA and a Top 5 NHL pick on Turcotte. No blame for one goal in 22 conference games, no blame for the most goals against of any forward on the roster, none at all, it's everyone elses fault. And if Larkin was somehow carried by his teammates how did he go dominate the WJC's as an 18 year old, then step into the AHL and be the best player on that team, and then seamlessly transition to the NHL. I have seen hundreds of college hockey games over the years, and I saw Alex Turcotte play in person four times this year, Alex Turcotte is good, I'm not disputing that, he is a highly skilled player, but I think he has more the look of a middle to late 1st rounder than a Top 5.

And I don't know why you think I have some irrational hatred for the guy, I was on here hoping that he was who the Kings took last year because I thought he could be a good 1C or an elite championship caliber 2C like a Richards or Larkin. Having seen him play multiple times now, I have changed that opinion. I don't think he will be as good as Richards was in his prime, or even Larkin is now. Not saying he will be a bust but if the Kings could get in a time machine the pick would 100% be different.

I'm definitely saying he's the heart of that team's performance. He bares the same responsibility for the team's fate in the way Anze Kopitar does. And in that vein, yes, you hope for a little more.

But the tire fire he was surrounded by was prohibitive to defense as well as production. And the context in which he is viewed can't be ignored. I don't think they change one thing on that draft pick based on one year. There's no one drafted after him that's given me second thoughts.

And I don't think the Detroit Red Wings Edmonton-Oilersing Larkin onto the roster has any bearing on Turcotte's success or failure. Our scouts said he could play right now. It's a matter of development and "should."

Nobody is "turfing" Turcotte by saying they expected more out of him this past season. Herby isn't "turfing" him if he thinks he looked like a mid-to-late 1st rounder based on his limited in-person viewings which is still probably four more in-person viewings than 99% of us on here. Herby has been around and knows his hockey: if he didn't look like a 5OA pick in those games then so be it. It is a small sample size. One thing for sure though, however, is Herby isn't hoping to be right with that assessment. The notion that being negative about anything means you are rooting for the Kings to fail still doesn't hold water with me but that's another argument.

He's the highest Kings draft pick in 10 years and the biggest piece of the rebuild until the 2OA at this upcoming draft. You would have liked to have seen a D+1 season like Brayden Schenn's v. what we got when comparing the last draft pick this high. Schenn did nothing to dampen enthusiasm while Turcotte did not fully perform up to expectations. If Fagemo has a non-descript WJC and looked the same or a little worse in club play then that is a bit of a bummer but he wasn't taken at 5th overall.

None of this means Tucotte is trash or will be trash. I'm still optimistic he will be a Top 6 center but I'm definitely concerned that he isn't going to fully be what we were expecting. I'm also extremely relieved that we are sitting at 2OA in this draft and hope they take Byfield since there will be less pressure on Turcotte to need to be a full-fledged 1C as all of that pressure will be on Byfield.

The Kings aren't going to come out and say stuff to hurt Turcotte's confidence regarding his season, but a big part of wanting him out of Wisconsin and then firing Stothers and hiring Wroblewski is to get Turcotte on the right path. Gun to their head: I think Management would tell you it wasn't what they hoped in regards to Turcotte's season. I'm not a Blake fan but look at them being proactive to try and get his development back on track. It's not just a happy coincidence that Wrobs was Turcotte's coach at the Program.

The bottom line is that most of this criticism comes from a literal 10 game stretch in the middle of the season when Turcotte was injured/sick. It's like going hard on a guy because he had a bad WJC. Outside of those games, Turcotte was 9-16-25 in 19 games.

It even came up in Yanetti's (maybe Emerson? forget which interview) assessment in which they basically point out his first 1/3 was great at was his last 1/3. Obviously the issues on his scouting report were injuries and consistencies so it's a fair worry--but ability based on a small sample size and 4 in person viewings? Give me a break.

Also, everyone is skipping out on Wisconsin except Caufield. It seems like most everyone else is willing to recognize what issues that program had last year.

Gotta be honest, it's a little tinfoily to suggest that Turcotte is such an off-track diva that ONT went out of their way to fire Stothers and hire Wrobs just to placate Turcotte and get him back on track. I've seen a dumpster of Turcotte criticism on this forum but this might be the most far-wrought take of all of them.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
what are everyone's thoughts on Mark Borowiecki for a short 2 year deal for 3rd pairing? I see he's going to test UFA.

Could he fill a role like Matt Greene? Big and strong vet but not too old. A good clubhouse guy.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
what are everyone's thoughts on Mark Borowiecki for a short 2 year deal for 3rd pairing? I see he's going to test UFA.

Could he fill a role like Matt Greene? Big and strong. A good clubhouse guy.

Already have MacDermid who fills that role. Not sure if we need two of them on the blueline. Would prefer someone more mobile who can eat more minutes than another bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man, he's so good at just hitting the holes like a running back. That's a skill I'm interested to see how it translates, he just bowling balls his way in there with reckless abandon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad