Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Day 10:

The leaves have started to fall. Colorful piles begin to fill my surroundings. Swallowing up any and all patches of green, replaced by reds, oranges and yellows.

I sit and a browse, optimistic but less so every day. Refresh and refresh, but to no avail. "Abandon all hope, yee who enter here" the header reads as I click into HF Boards, Tampa.

I sip my coffee and wait. But for how much longer we will never know.

3RFA's remain unsigned. Johnson remains a bolt. News? There is none

- Gong

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think some desperate team comes along and takes what we give. Just need to wait this out. We have good experienced players available fresh off a cup and a team desperate to improve their club will be happy to deal with us. I still think this early market is a overreaction to everything which was expected yes but I think we still have some teams that will be happy to deal if we are a little patient. Cant be too patient though because time can run out. Then we might be the ones resorting to desperate measures. I dont see us getting to that point though.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Day 10:

The leaves have started to fall. Colorful piles begin to fill my surroundings. Swallowing up any and all patches of green, replaced by reds, oranges and yellows.

I sit and a browse, optimistic but less so every day. Refresh and refresh, but to no avail. "Abandon all hope, yee who enter here" the header reads as I click into HF Boards, Tampa.

- Gong
yeah its boooooriiiiiing! cmon,trade Vasy,Fire asst coach,sign Hoffman fo 10 mil AAV,do something bring the action back! :D

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I would if I could find one.
Blasphemy!!!:laugh:

Don't give me bad blood because I'll just shake it off whilst thinking back to December (2019), which ended on holy ground. Later, I'll likely sing Tim McGraw while staring into blank space thinking of what you made me do!! Seriously! I don't know why you gotta be so mean because I know places where I can go into exile. :(

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Edmonton won the cup the next season, with the same core, and has been wandering in the wilderness of great prospects and "future" ever since.

So let's say we trade our main pieces for the sake of the future. What happens when that future arrives? Do we then trade those pieces for the sake of the next future? And so on and so on?

Our window is now. We're not going to go all in. But we're not going to take unnecessary steps back either.

It is not necessary to trade all of the main pieces. We have other players that can be dealt as part of a package with a main piece to create the cap space that is needed. It may just take one of those main pieces to be part of the package to get the deal done.
The other way to look at it is the organization stands pat, allows the 3 RFAs to leave for draft choices that may not help for 3-5 years if we draft properly, and prays the 2021 Playoffs do not end in a way that causes many to wonder if the 2020 Championship was a fluke due to the odd events and schedule.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The season isn't starting till January 1st if that. We don't need to sign the RFA's till probably March 1st. We don't know if Stamkos will really be ready to start the year or will be on IR. There's no need to rush anything right now unless we get a deal we can't refuse and I doubt that deal is out there. There's always the possibility someone gets hurt on another team and then are looking to add via trade where we come in and help out. Capspace accrues as the season goes on as long as we aren't over the cap using LTIR so we can gain space that way. There's so many factors in play that we have no need to even worry till closer to opening night. It'll sort itself out.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The fact a deal hasn't gotten done yet is actually surprising, and starting to get a little concerning.

I remember at the Stanley cup celebration brisebois said well unfortunately I’m gonna have to make a deal soon to open cap space as other teams will be filling up there cap space and the longer I wait the less trade options I will have!
What happened to that idea ?

Mar 20, 2010
The fact a deal hasn't gotten done yet is actually surprising, and starting to get a little concerning.

TB is in a similar situation to what VGK had, but worse. VGK had to choose between practically giving away a player like Schmidt or paying a heavy price (1st+) to dump Fleury. Ultimately, they went with giving away Schmidt to clear space for Pietrangelo.

Think JBB may be wrestling with similar decisions... except he isn't just ripping off one band-aid; he will need to plan to rip off several.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I remember at the Stanley cup celebration brisebois said well unfortunately I’m gonna have to make a deal soon to open cap space as other teams will be filling up there cap space and the longer I wait the less trade options I will have!
Teams realized they still have at least four month to figure out their cap, let alone covid and its impacts on the season. Lots of uncertainty.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Day 10:

- Gong

Why did i read this envisioning it being said in Doc Emricks voice

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Why did i read this envisioning it being said in Doc Emricks voice
Even Amalie/Ford Alley mutes NBCSN - he sucks - happy retirement but very glad I was able to watch Canadian stream vs. national feed, Eddie O is trash, Jonesy should probably just stick to upper Northeast clubs, Pierre McGroomer should be investigated :laugh: and don't even get me started on Mike-the-pie-hole:ha:

I really wish NHL would switch to another network or replace the idiots who have a personal beef with Tampa and/or players and/or former teammates...

Reactions: BoltsFanSinceDay1

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Hamonic is out there, not sure if he's RD but similar style to Cernak
Vatanen is there too @ 4.8, Harmonic @ 3.8

Both likely willing to take 1 year deals given league right now; would think Cernak would be willing to stay for less than either of those 2

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
I think it’s starting to become clear that JBB may have misjudged the market a bit. That probably became clear when Johnson cleared waivers, all that did was prove to everyone he has negative value.
JBB probably valued his guys based on a flat cap, but the market is actually far worse than that due to many teams taking an internal cap.

Reactions: PJ817

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
there was a rumor they want to start the season in February I know the Owners want fans in attendance

Yikes, here we were concerned they were going to screw up the 2021 season to save 2020 and now they are looking at screwing up 2022 to pla9y 2021? Does anyone know if the folks who run NASCAR are now running the NHL also as there is no way two organizations can make decisions this dumb while having seperate leadership.

Mar 20, 2010
I think it’s starting to become clear that JBB may have misjudged the market a bit. That probably became clear when Johnson cleared waivers, all that did was prove to everyone he has negative value.
JBB probably valued his guys based on a flat cap, but the market is actually far worse than that due to many teams taking an internal cap.

JBB probably misjudged other GMs and failed to realize they are just like him. TB has to make multiple transactions so no GM has any incentive to bite on the first move unless it includes a player they really want (i.e., RFA) or a ridiculous overpayment to dump salary.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida fan here so self interested:

Could you see McD being the guy out? If you trade him, you should be able to re sign all 3 players somewhat reasonably.(10M in cap) Choose one to bridge to next season and pay Seattle to take Johnson or whatever contract is easiest, then give that money to the bridged player

Edit: the reason I say McD is that Tampa has a choice of protecting 4D (Hed, McD, Serg, Cern) or 7 forwards (Kuch, Point, Stammer, Cirelli, Palat...) and if you protect 4D you lose a valuable player as well instead of a cap dump

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It is not necessary to trade all of the main pieces. We have other players that can be dealt as part of a package with a main piece to create the cap space that is needed. It may just take one of those main pieces to be part of the package to get the deal done.
The other way to look at it is the organization stands pat, allows the 3 RFAs to leave for draft choices that may not help for 3-5 years if we draft properly, and prays the 2021 Playoffs do not end in a way that causes many to wonder if the 2020 Championship was a fluke due to the odd events and schedule.

We can't trade pieces that force us to take a step back--like McDonagh. Stamkos is a tricky one because we just won a cup without him; at the same time, he's probably going to be better than Cirelli for the next few years. (We also more/less won a cup without Cirelli.)

Moves have to be made. But we shouldn't sell out the present for the future. We should do the best we can for the future while also ensuring we have the best possible chance at a repeat. There's no point in building for a future if you're not ready to run with your core when the future becomes the present. What are you even building toward?

No one's saying we should let the RFAs leave -- I mean, how are they even going to leave if offer sheets don't materialize? But we also can't be trading away better players than they are just to stay young. It took the team a long time to mature to the point where it could win a cup, and possibly multiple cups.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We can't trade pieces that force us to take a step back--like McDonagh. Stamkos is a tricky one because we just won a cup without him; at the same time, he's probably going to be better than Cirelli for the next few years. (We also more/less won a cup without Cirelli.)

Moves have to be made. But we shouldn't sell out the present for the future. We should do the best we can for the future while also ensuring we have the best possible chance at a repeat. There's no point in building for a future if you're not ready to run with your core when the future becomes the present. What are you even building toward?

No one's saying we should let the RFAs leave -- I mean, how are they even going to leave if offer sheets don't materialize? But we also can't be trading away better players than they are just to stay young. It took the team a long time to mature to the point where it could win a cup, and possibly multiple cups.
As a Florida fan, how does the expansion draft affect your views? Doesn’t it mean unless you pay Seattle a pretty penny, you’d lose one of your top 4D next year or one of your forwards (Palat/Cirelli)?

im guessing that Tampa is having difficulty trading Killorn/Gourde/Tj not because of the cap this year but also future flexibility: a few times can absorb the hit now but we expect the same environment next year which is the problem

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I keep checking the date hoping to count how long it has been since July 1st just to know whether I should panic or not but I only find out how big of an idiot I am. This happens pretty much every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad