Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Taking a brief look at other teams boards...

1. NJD - Hughes
2. NYR - Kakko
3. CHI - Byram
4. COL - Cozens
5. LA - Turcotte
6. DET - Podkolzin
7. BUF - Dach

8. EDM -

Players left available in our range - Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Kaliyev, Soderstrom, Heinola, Broberg

That would be such a hard decision. Zegras has the highest upside, Boldy would be a nice plug-and-play winger for McDavid/Drai who can score goals. Krebs would be the safe choice, Caufield would be the riskiest but could be a 40 goal scorer on McDavids wing. Heinola and Söderström would both be great puck-moving D, something the Oilers are clearly lacking. Not sure who I'd take, but leaning towards Zegras or Krebs.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I am leaning towards Zegras ATM but it'd be a very hard pick. I'd take a risk on Podkolzin if he fell to us though, or any of the other fallers. We need more muscle in our top 6 and more scoring too. Boldy might tick the most boxes, but I'm not sure his upside is as high as the others. Hopefully the U18s give some clarity.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If it gets to the point where we have to choose between Krebs/Zegras I'm leaning towards Zegras rn.

Krebs is the much safer pick but Zegras has that Mitch Marner like play driving winger potential. I absolutely love Marner so I'd kill to have a player like him on our team. Quick, shifty, amazing hands, very high IQ, tremendous vision, and can play all 3 forward positions.

If he pans out, Zegras will be a home run pick.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If it gets to the point where we have to choose between Krebs/Zegras I'm leaning towards Zegras rn.

Krebs is the much safer pick but Zegras has that Mitch Marner like play driving winger potential. I absolutely love Marner so I'd kill to have a player like him on our team. Quick, shifty, amazing hands, very high IQ, tremendous vision, and can play all 3 forward positions.

If he pans out, Zegras will be a home run pick.
Just checked eliteprospects and it says he's commited to BostonU for the next 2 years....

After seeing that I think Krebs is who I'd go with. He should be ready after 1 season in the Dub.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just checked eliteprospects and it says he's commited to BostonU for the next 2 years....

After seeing that I think Krebs is who I'd go with. He should be ready after 1 season in the Dub.

I saw that too, but apparently it's an error.

Zegras is going to BU in the fall.

Reactions: 780il

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I’m not sure why it would matter if Zegras went for 2 years.. Cale Makar did...

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’m not sure why it would matter if Zegras went for 2 years.. Cale Makar did...
Well Makar was arguably more raw and plays a harder position to play, dmen take longer to develop.

Also, I'm not sure that we can let whoever we pick develop for more than 1 year without Mcdavid or Drai wanting to get tf out of here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well if he's only committed for 1 season then I take Zegras for sure.

But I don't want to wait 2 years for a forward drafted in the top 10.

Technically they're only committed for the first season. After that, it's up to the prospect for how long he stays. Could be anywhere between one and four years.

Most top-end players only play one season(Larkin, Keller, Connor, Werenski, Trouba, etc.). Some stay for two(Boeser, Tuch, Makar), but it's pretty rare.

Reactions: Bretzky and 780il

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Technically they're only committed for the first season. After that, it's up to the prospect for how long he stays. Could be anywhere between one and four years.

Most top-end players only play one season(Larkin, Keller, Connor, Werenski, Trouba, etc.). Some stay for two(Boeser, Tuch, Makar), but it's pretty rare.

Would not let this commitment interfere with drafting best player. Makar looks pretty good and he committed for 2 years.

Reactions: danktopshelf

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Ah I see, thanks. NCAA is pretty confusing for me lol.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Taking a brief look at other teams boards...

1. NJD - Hughes
2. NYR - Kakko
3. CHI - Byram
4. COL - Cozens
5. LA - Turcotte
6. DET - Podkolzin
7. BUF - Dach

8. EDM -

Players left available in our range - Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Kaliyev, Soderstrom, Heinola, Broberg

This seems like a very plausible top 7.

Krebs or Zegras.

I haven't seen much of Zegras or Boldy, but I really like Krebs. He would look great with Connor and Leon, and he could probably step in after next season.

Krebs' team in Winnipeg will be very interesting if they can get both Savoie brothers to play there. Connor McClennon is a hell of a player too and should take a huge step going into his draft year.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Random tidbit I just found: apparently all three of Trevor Zegras, Dominick Fensore and Spencer Knight played together on the Mid Fairfield Rangers team in bantam. Must have been a hell of a team. Now all three play for the USNTDP and Zegras and Fensore are both going to BU while Knight is going to BC. Ryan Siedem who is also a draft eligible and played for the USNTDP last season was on the same team as Zegras and Knight in midget and is headed to Harvard. Pretty cool.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What I really like about Krebs is that he can play a simple give-and-go game. He really knows where to go on the ice and how to both complement and support his linemates and with that ability he makes those around him better. He's such a smart, hard-working and low maintenance player. You could plug and play him anywhere in the lineup and he'd do a good job. That is really valuable.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
What I really like about Krebs is that he can play a simple give-and-go game. He really knows where to go on the ice and how to both complement and support his linemates and with that ability he makes those around him better. He's such a smart, hard-working and low maintenance player. You could plug and play him anywhere in the lineup and he'd do a good job. That is really valuable.
I haven't seen Krebs play before. Just heard and read that he has extremely good hockey IQ and a nonstop motor. Anyone think he is comparative to a taller Brendan Gallagher?

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I would be all for taking Podkolzin at 8 although I do worry about not having any Russians on the roster to mentor him. It seems we have that issue a lot with Europeans. There weren't really any Finns on the team other than Pakarinen when we took Puljujarvi until this season with Koskinen. Yakupov had Khabibulin in the lockout year and then he was hanging out with Bryzgalov. When you come from another country it's quite a bit easier to become comfortable with people from your country on the team.

It might be a small thing but I think it's probably part of the reason we haven't had much success with Euro's lately.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would be all for taking Podkolzin at 8 although I do worry about not having any Russians on the roster to mentor him. It seems we have that issue a lot with Europeans. There weren't really any Finns on the team other than Pakarinen when we took Puljujarvi until this season with Koskinen. Yakupov had Khabibulin in the lockout year and then he was hanging out with Bryzgalov. When you come from another country it's quite a bit easier to become comfortable with people from your country on the team.

It might be a small thing but I think it's probably part of the reason we haven't had much success with Euro's lately.
The Oilers have Maksimov and Safin. Just based on eye test, IMO, Podkolzin just doesn't look like the 3rd most skilled player of the draft

Reactions: 780il

North

Jun 25, 2009
I need to ask, he's near the top of all the lists, but why do we hate Podkolzin?

I don’t think we hate him. I think some teams might shy away because he’s staying in Russia a little longer and certain teams won’t want to risk the possibility of a high first round pick not coming over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad