Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That's a really interesting take on Podkolzin, most people seem to have the exact opposite one. Watching him he's got tons of skill but worry that it hasn't translated to more points.
He's not the fastest skater, seems to always bobbles the puck when he's at his top speed, average size, doesn't possess a great shot to beat goalies, seems like he has average IQ.

He's also left handed. I don't see him being better than McDavid, Drai and RNH and will eventually get buried on the PP similar to Yak

I'm no scout. Just saying what I'm seeing from the highlights

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I really beleive the Oilers should at all costs make a run at the 3rd or 4th pick. Chicago may want to trade down and grab an extra asset because I beleive the player they covet can be picked at 8th from browsing around. 8th and Puljujarvi ? Or 8th and 2nd. Byram is the exact type of defenseman that can turn franchises around. The guy skates fast' hits hard' has an insane hockey IQ, and is basically a franchise defenseman sitting there. What the Oilers have always been missing is that true number 1 and 2. 3 years down the road with Byram and Bouchard anchoring 1 and 2, the Oilers could really develop a consistency of winning for a decade plus.

This is accurate.

Reactions: nabob

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
I really beleive the Oilers should at all costs make a run at the 3rd or 4th pick. Chicago may want to trade down and grab an extra asset because I beleive the player they covet can be picked at 8th from browsing around. 8th and Puljujarvi ? Or 8th and 2nd. Byram is the exact type of defenseman that can turn franchises around. The guy skates fast' hits hard' has an insane hockey IQ, and is basically a franchise defenseman sitting there. What the Oilers have always been missing is that true number 1 and 2. 3 years down the road with Byram and Bouchard anchoring 1 and 2, the Oilers could really develop a consistency of winning for a decade plus.

If you're right, why on Earth would Chicago trade out of that spot?

It's the same conundrum as trading for good young players on other teams. Why would the other team trade them?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
If you're right, why on Earth would Chicago trade out of that spot?

It's the same conundrum as trading for good young players on other teams. Why would the other team trade them?

Cause Chicago has a ton of defensive prospects. I would give JP and the 8th easily to move up to 3. I would even add.

The Oilers will not be this close to drafting a high end defenseman for awhile so make the move this year.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Cause Chicago has a ton of defensive prospects. I would give JP and the 8th easily to move up to 3. I would even add.

The Oilers will not be this close to drafting a high end defenseman for awhile so make the move this year.

This.

Byram is that Defenseman Franchises spend 20+ years to covet and never quite get there. Entry level superstar type quality written all over him. Edmonton has had 1 . Pronger in the last 30 years that was a legit number 1 star defenseman and look where we went. Byram within 3 years is a star defenseman. The difference between him and other defensive prospects is his IQ and well established defensive play to go along with his skating.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Would you guys be willing to trade up 2 spots with DET to grab Turcotte or Dach? Assuming Byram is taken by 6, DET might be willing to trade down to get the next best dman. #8 would be a safe spot for them to draft with. Would our 2nd be an overpay?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He's not the fastest skater, seems to always bobbles the puck when he's at his top speed, average size, doesn't possess a great shot to beat goalies, seems like he has average IQ.

He's also left handed. I don't see him being better than McDavid, Drai and RNH and will eventually get buried on the PP similar to Yak

I'm no scout. Just saying what I'm seeing from the highlights

Give me your Newhook analysis.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The scary part about a prospect staying in 2 years is that they could stay another 2 years and become a free agent.

High-end guys taken at the top of the draft don't really do that though. Most only stay a year or two.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
If Byram is that good, I can't see having Jokiharju and Boqvist stopping the Blackhawks from taking him.

Chicago forwards:
Anisimov 30
Caggiula 24
Debrincat 21
Hayden 23
Kahun 23
Kampf 24
Kruger 28
Kunitz 39
Perlini 22
Saad 26
Kane 30
Strome 21
Toews 30

Chicago defense:
Dahlstrom 24
Forsling 22
Gustafsson 26
Koekkoek 24
Murphy 25
Seabrook 33
Keith 35
Boquist - prospect
Jokiharju - prospect
Beaudin - prospect
Mitchell - prospect

See this list. A ton of young defensemen. Tied up with Keith and Seabrook for another 5 years. Not that many spots available.

As for forwards, there are about 5 good forwards there. Depth is needed in the forward ranks. Kane and Toews are on the wrong side of 30. Not enough young good forwards there.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Chicago forwards:
Anisimov 30
Caggiula 24
Debrincat 21
Hayden 23
Kahun 23
Kampf 24
Kruger 28
Kunitz 39
Perlini 22
Saad 26
Kane 30
Strome 21
Toews 30

Chicago defense:
Dahlstrom 24
Forsling 22
Gustafsson 26
Koekkoek 24
Murphy 25
Seabrook 33
Keith 35
Boquist - prospect
Jokiharju - prospect
Beaudin - prospect
Mitchell - prospect

See this list. A ton of young defensemen. Tied up with Keith and Seabrook for another 5 years. Not that many spots available.

As for forwards, there are about 5 good forwards there. Depth is needed in the forward ranks. Kane and Toews are on the wrong side of 30. Not enough young good forwards there.

The Oilers are basically in the exact same situation.

That's why I think it doesn't really make sense that the Oilers would want Byram enough to trade up, but the Blackhawks wouldn't want him enough to trade down.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
The Oilers are basically in the exact same situation.

That's why I think it doesn't really make sense that the Oilers would want Byram enough to trade up, but the Blackhawks wouldn't want him enough to trade down.

I suppose. The difference is that the Oilers best forwards are young. The Blackhawks best forwards are old.

The Oilers do not have a Duncan Keith. The Blackhawks do. The Blackhawks also have Gustafsson who has more points than any Oilers defenseman.

My take, Blackhawks have better defense than forwards overall. Oilers are opposite.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I suppose. The difference is that the Oilers best forwards are young. The Blackhawks best forwards are old.

The Oilers do not have a Duncan Keith. The Blackhawks do. The Blackhawks also have Gustafsson who has more points than any Oilers defenseman.

My take, Blackhawks have better defense than forwards overall. Oilers are opposite.

Strome and Debrincat are very young and Keith isn't what he used to be.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Fully agree with this. Need Byram, Krebs, Dach or Cozens. Nothing else will do.

If the pick was a lower one then no worries, this could be a core player if we get the pick right. Kaliyev is probably the only guy not on your list that I'd consider.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Strome and Debrincat are very young and Keith isn't what he used to be.

Sure, but Strome and Debrincat are the ONLY good young forwards with no offensive prospects of note. Oilers have more than that.

Keith and Seabrook are locked in for 5 more years. They are not going anywhere.

Point being, Hawks need a young forward more than they need a young defenseman. If they see Byram and Dach/Podkolzin equally, they will go forward. Book it.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Vancouver's got their stud skating defenseman Hughes, Calgary has the upcoming Hanifin , Toronto has Reilly, Edmonton needs that stud good skating high IQ defenseman who can carry a play offensively and defensively on the same shift.

You can have the best forwards ' but give them dumb defenseman with substandard skating ability to work with and the team gets severely crippled

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I wanted #3 for Byram, but we don't have the assets to trade up for him. We need fwd prospects badly. Turcotte, Dach, or Krebs please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad