Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sentiment round here seems Podk is gonna be a bust and Cozens has no IQ.

Very curious to see what happens in a few

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Since there was some Podkolzin talk in this thread now I decided to watch another shift-by-shift on him. This one from the MHL playoffs at the end of March.

I hate repeating myself but I just do not see what it is that scouts see in this player to rank him 3rd overall. Craig Button called him a "complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player" after the Hlinka I believe, but the guy has some of the worst vision and passing I've seen in a top-ranked prospect and it should be painfully obvious to anyone watching him play, so how is that being "complete" as a player? Yes he competes really hard, yes he has a deadly shot, yes he is good defensively, yes he has good hands. But that's it.

One of the thing that bothers me is that he can be a force on the forecheck and make defenders turn pucks over. But then when Pod gets possession of the puck he has no idea what to do with it. A lot of the time he just ends up hogging it and eventually gets pressured enough into losing it again. He just doesn't have the vision to make a nice play after gaining possession. It's really annoying to watch.

I just don't know how a guy without high-end hockey IQ, passing and vision is supposed to be a 1st liner in the NHL. Because that's what I suppose all the scouts project him as, otherwise they wouldn't have him in their top3. For me he is nothing more than a 2nd liner who can be used as a trigger man on the power-play. Maybe a 30-20-50 guy.

Just seeing him play too, he's not a guy that plays well off of his teammates at all. He's on an island out there. He's just not a guy who can play a give-and-go game at a high level. So I have no idea how he is going to transition to the NHL with his rover brand of hockey. He's kind of like Yak in that sense, just all over the place, working hard but not actually accomplishing much.

I don't know what to think at this point, either I'm a complete idiot or all the scouts are incompetent :dunno:

EDIT: I think his numbers reflect and support my theory / what I see in my viewings really well too. The guy has 3 assists in 15 games (including playoffs) in the russian junior league. That's not a guy who makes his teammates better, that's not a guy who is a good passer/playmaker. It's a guy who shoots the puck really well and tries to do everything himself.

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sentiment round here seems Podk is gonna be a bust and Cozens has no IQ.

Very curious to see what happens in a few
You know what's going to happen right? Podkolzin will fall to us, we won't pick him, Anaheim does no one cares.

Skip to 2 years later and he is putting up 50-60 points and the same people are ripping the Oilers for not picking him.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I may just be an internet scout but judging from our history, player development, needs and then carefully analyzing each player in the top 10, it only ends up being 4 any way you look at it. Take away the top 2 and you have

Byram, Turcotte, Zegras,

and a distant 4th Cozens.

everyone else down here. <<<< This is trade category

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Having refreshed my memory on Podkolzin I would much rather take a gamble on Caufield than Podkolzin if we had to choose between one of them.

Reactions: 29292929

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What’s everyone think about Krebs, Zegras and Boldy? These are the guys I think we should target, if these guys are gone ( which is most likely).

Hughes
Kakko
Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Dach
Podkolzin

I think we might have a chance at Dach, Turcotte, Cozens, Zegras, Krebs and Boldy. Also, I would include Heinola, Caufield and Lavoie. They are underrated in this draft. I do not like Newhook.

One thing I don't understand.... Why are people so low on Boldy? Yes he plays with another skilled player but isn't that what the NHL is about. Playing with other skilled players? Imagine Boldy with McDavid, Leon and Nuge. He could be so good, if developed properly

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think we might have a chance at Dach, Turcotte, Cozens, Zegras, Krebs and Boldy. Also, I would include Heinola, Caufield and Lavoie. They are underrated in this draft. I do not like Newhook.

One thing I don't understand.... Why are people so low on Boldy? Yes he plays with another skilled player but isn't that what the NHL is about. Playing with other skilled players? Imagine Boldy with McDavid, Leon and Nuge. He could be so good, if developed properly
People aren't low on him, there are just better options at 8

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Based on what?

You could say the same about any prospect.

Podkolzin was so much better than guys like Krebs, Dach, and Cozens at the Hlinka that it makes me think he is underrated if anything. He was an important player for Russia at the World Juniors and relied on in all situations.
I feel like Yakupov has made some posters on this board traumatized of Russian prospects lol

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
You know what's going to happen right? Podkolzin will fall to us, we won't pick him, Anaheim does no one cares.

Skip to 2 years later and he is putting up 50-60 points and the same people are ripping the Oilers for not picking him.
Or he flops and everyone says...look at the Oilers destroying the career of another good prospect.

Hopefully the scouts do their homework. If the leftovers at 8 have too many risks, Krebs is the safe bet. I'd seriously consider trading down to 12-14 and add a player or additional pick.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well our latest big junior draftee love in is a russian.

Are you talking about Samorukov or Maximov? Both are trending well but both have played in NA for years, so it's not exactly the same as a guy like Pozkolzin.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Do we take the best player available at 8 or look for a finisher that can onetime our centers' passes?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
U18 tournament will move the rankings around between guys projected to go between 3rd overall to 10th overall.
With Dach missing the tournament and being a not blazing fast WHLer, I am sure he will be available at 8.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
U18 tournament will move the rankings around between guys projected to go between 3rd overall to 10th overall.
With Dach missing the tournament and being a not blazing fast WHLer, I am sure he will be available at 8.

I don't think its a sure thing that he falls. Big RH centers don't fall much. But I sure as hell hope he does.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Since there was some Podkolzin talk in this thread now I decided to watch another shift-by-shift on him. This one from the MHL playoffs at the end of March.

I hate repeating myself but I just do not see what it is that scouts see in this player to rank him 3rd overall. Craig Button called him a "complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player" after the Hlinka I believe, but the guy has some of the worst vision and passing I've seen in a top-ranked prospect and it should be painfully obvious to anyone watching him play, so how is that being "complete" as a player? Yes he competes really hard, yes he has a deadly shot, yes he is good defensively, yes he has good hands. But that's it.

One of the thing that bothers me is that he can be a force on the forecheck and make defenders turn pucks over. But then when Pod gets possession of the puck he has no idea what to do with it. A lot of the time he just ends up hogging it and eventually gets pressured enough into losing it again. He just doesn't have the vision to make a nice play after gaining possession. It's really annoying to watch.

I just don't know how a guy without high-end hockey IQ, passing and vision is supposed to be a 1st liner in the NHL. Because that's what I suppose all the scouts project him as, otherwise they wouldn't have him in their top3. For me he is nothing more than a 2nd liner who can be used as a trigger man on the power-play. Maybe a 30-20-50 guy.

Just seeing him play too, he's not a guy that plays well off of his teammates at all. He's on an island out there. He's just not a guy who can play a give-and-go game at a high level. So I have no idea how he is going to transition to the NHL with his rover brand of hockey. He's kind of like Yak in that sense, just all over the place, working hard but not actually accomplishing much.

I don't know what to think at this point, either I'm a complete idiot or all the scouts are incompetent :dunno:

EDIT: I think his numbers reflect and support my theory / what I see in my viewings really well too. The guy has 3 assists in 15 games (including playoffs) in the russian junior league. That's not a guy who makes his teammates better, that's not a guy who is a good passer/playmaker. It's a guy who shoots the puck really well and tries to do everything himself.
Pre draft who do you think looked better, Podkolzin or Puljujarvi.

Also what are your thoughts on Cam York, been watching some video on him and he's been growing on me, looking like the real deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Why is he missing the tournament? Hoping that he falls to 8? :sarcasm:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Young players are sometimes diamonds in the rough. They aren't as developed yet so what may look bad now may be great in the future. No scout can accurately rate every player in the top ten.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The more I watch/read about Philip Tomasino, the more I want to get him. I suggest you watch the video below.

I love absolutely everything about his game. Blazing speed. Incredible hands. Insane vision. Nice shot. Right-handed.

His numbers are actually really impressive when you look at the context. He is 2nd in EV pts in the CHL, and 1st in EV goals, ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Krebs. This is also while being stuck behind Niagara's offensive starpower. I believe he usually plays on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit (@Mcnotloilersfan can you confirm?).

upload_2019-4-18_13-29-38.png

Tomasino is the perfect example of a "modern NHL" player. Fast, skilled, and hockey IQ in spades. Whoever gets him is going to be very happy in few years. I can't wait to watch him at the U18s.

I hope we trade down for him, and wouldn't even be opposed to getting him at 8.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Tomasino isn't all skill either. He is a workhorse with a great attitude and work-ethic. He is great in all 3 zones and even leads the OHL is steals on the forecheck.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pre draft who do you think looked better, Podkolzin or Puljujarvi.

Also what are your thoughts on Cam York, been watching some video on him and he's been growing on me, looking like the real deal.

I liked Pulju more pre-draft, but that doesn't mean Pod can't have a better career. I think it will be easier for him to find his role in the NHL because he has that potentially elite shot (and the hands to open up shooting lanes) whereas Pulju doesn't really have that one standout quality to his game.

As for Cam York, I'm a pretty big fan. I think he's a really safe bet to be a top4 puck-moving D in the NHL. Probably the best passer in this draft, at least among defensemen.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad