Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
so how is that being "complete" as a player? Yes he competes really hard, yes he has a deadly shot, yes he is good defensively, yes he has good hands. But that's it.

That's it? That seems like a lot of good qualities to me. It sounds similar to Cozens in a lot of ways who a lot of you guys are also down on interestingly enough.

If Podkolzin dropped to the Oilers, I'd be more than happy to get a 2 way player who competes like crazy, has a great shot and good hands. That's a pretty complete player if you ask me and exactly the type of player the Oilers lack, they already have top end guys with great vision.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I may just be an internet scout but judging from our history, player development, needs and then carefully analyzing each player in the top 10, it only ends up being 4 any way you look at it. Take away the top 2 and you have

Byram, Turcotte, Zegras,

and a distant 4th Cozens.

everyone else down here. <<<< This is trade category

Have the Oilers ruined players like Dach, Krebs and Boldy? Why would they be bad picks for the Oilers?

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Tomasino isn't all skill either. He is a workhorse with a great attitude and work-ethic. He is great in all 3 zones and even leads the OHL is steals on the forecheck.

Thanks for posting the video. He looks amazing. I keep hearing on HF how good he is - but why isn't he ranked higher? He'd be a great trade down option.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Thanks for posting the video. He looks amazing. I keep hearing on HF how good he is - but why isn't he ranked higher? He'd be a great trade down option.
I honestly have no idea why he isn't ranked higher. I think a good U18 performance would rise his stock quite a bit.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The more I watch/read about Philip Tomasino, the more I want to get him. I suggest you watch the video below.

I love absolutely everything about his game. Blazing speed. Incredible hands. Insane vision. Nice shot. Right-handed.

His numbers are actually really impressive when you look at the context. He is 2nd in EV pts in the CHL, and 1st in EV goals, ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Krebs. This is also while being stuck behind Niagara's offensive starpower. I believe he usually plays on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit (@Mcnotloilersfan can you confirm?).

View attachment 216901

Tomasino is the perfect example of a "modern NHL" player. Fast, skilled, and hockey IQ in spades. Whoever gets him is going to be very happy in few years. I can't wait to watch him at the U18s.

I hope we trade down for him, and wouldn't even be opposed to getting him at 8.

He played mostly in the top 6 when his production went up, but sometimes it was difficult to define what was the 2nd and 3rd lines.

He was rarely, if ever, on the top powerplay. He is probably 2 years away from the NHL, but I would gladly trade back to a mid first and get more assets.

One guy I talk to who is big in the scouting world (mods you can ask for my source on this if you want, but its not like it's a big rumour) is that he will likely go in the 20-31 range and that team will be very happy that he was still there.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
I keep hearing about this Tomasino as well. Haven't seen any of the draft rankings having him higher than 14 though.

Outside of the projected top 8 0f Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Zebras, I'd think our team looks at (in no particular order):
Matthew Boldy
Raphael Lavoie
Philip Tomasino
Cole Caufield
Cam York

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I keep hearing about this Tomasino as well. Haven't seen any of the draft rankings having him higher than 14 though.

Outside of the projected top 8 0f Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Zebras, I'd think our team looks at (in no particular order):
Matthew Boldy
Raphael Lavoie
Philip Tomasino
Cole Caufield
Cam York

Add Soderstrom to this list. By draft time, I bet Soderstrom is in the top 10.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Matthew Boldy
Raphael Lavoie
Philip Tomasino
Cole Caufield
Cam York
All would be great picks if we trade down a couple spots.

Add Heinola and Soderstrom to that list too.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That's it? That seems like a lot of good qualities to me. It sounds similar to Cozens in a lot of ways who a lot of you guys are also down on interestingly enough.

If Podkolzin dropped to the Oilers, I'd be more than happy to get a 2 way player who competes like crazy, has a great shot and good hands. That's a pretty complete player if you ask me and exactly the type of player the Oilers lack, they already have top end guys with great vision.

You're not a complete player if you can't pass / have no vision. That's a pretty essential skill to have as an NHLer. And yes, he does have a lot of good qualities, but as I said, I expect a lot more from a guy who is consensus 3rd overall among scouts. If he was ranked in the 9-15 range I wouldn't care as much about him not being a complete player, but for someone who is seen as a better prospect than guys like Turcotte and Dach I expect more.

Also, as I said, he is not a give-and-go type player. He doesn't play off of his teammates well at all from my viewings. You say he'd be a good fit with the Oilers, but he would just get in the way of Drai and McDavid who both play a very cerebral game. He's not a fit with those guys at all. A guy like Krebs on the other hand would be. He also competes but the difference being that he actually has a great all-around game and knows where to go on the ice to support his linemates.

There's no way I'd take Podkolzin over Krebs for the Oilers. If you want a pure goalscorer you should target Cole Caufield. Despite him being 5'7 I see him being less of a risk while being a higher reward. He also knows how to play with talent and where to go on the ice to get into scoring positions. He could pot 50 in the NHL with the right center. I'd also take Boldy over Podkolzin. Another goal-scorer who is more cerebral and actually used to be more of a playmaking winger, so he has that quality too. Great hands as well, size and skating.

Reactions: Aerrol

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Here's an idea for trading down based on statsportconsulting's scale for what value each draft pick is worth in a trade. These trades are contingent upon Columbus not getting into the semi-finals (which...I'm not betting against, but...)

(in parenthesis are the numeric values of each draft position)
Trade 1
To OTT: #8 (629)

To EDM: #19 (364) + #32 (246) = (610) (Maybe OTT adds their 7th rounder (64) to sweeten the pot slightly)

Why Ottawa does this?: they still have another 2nd from FLA, and they need to find some redemption for their horrible situation - they need top end players

Trade 2
To ARI*: #32 (246) + #38 (211) = (457) (*or another team in that range)

To EDM: #14 (456)

So in this scenario, we end up with #14 and #19. I'm no draft expert, but if we could walk away with two of Caufield, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Tomasino, Heinola and York, that would be a fantastic draft for us.

Thoughts? Would that scenario be better than keeping our #8 (Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, etc.) and #38 (not sure who is in that range)...?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Here's an idea for trading down based on statsportconsulting's scale for what value each draft pick is worth in a trade. These trades are contingent upon Columbus not getting into the semi-finals (which...I'm not betting against, but...)

Trade 1

To EDM: #19 (364) + #32 (246) = (610) (Maybe OTT adds their 7th rounder (64) to sweeten the pot slightly)

Why Ottawa does this?: they still have another 2nd from FLA, and they need to find some redemption for their horrible situation - they need top end players

Trade 2

So in this scenario, we end up with #14 and #19. I'm no draft expert, but if we could walk away with two of Caufield, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Tomasino, Heinola and York, that would be a fantastic draft for us.

Thoughts? Would that scenario be better than keeping our #8 (Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, etc.) and #38 (not sure who is in that range)...?

This is ok, but remember that OTT will not offer 32 to move up from 19 to 8 and Arizona will not offer 38 and 32 to move to 14. Teams are looking for deals and they will try to screw over the Oilers by not offering fair value to move up.

I bet the Avs would want Yamamoto+ to move from 4 to 8 when all is should cost is the Oilers second. Same with the Hawks. They would want Nurse to move down from 3 to 8.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is ok, but remember that OTT will not offer 32 to move up from 19 to 8 and Arizona will not offer 38 and 32 to move to 14. Teams are looking for deals and they will try to screw over the Oilers by not offering fair value to move up.

I bet the Avs would want Yamamoto+ to move from 4 to 8 when all is should cost is the Oilers second. Same with the Hawks. They would want Nurse to move down from 3 to 8.
Yes the whole league is out to get the poor Oilers.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Or I don't believe in conspiracies. There is no league wide every team is out to hurt the Oilers. That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Tell me the last time the Oilers were involved in a fair trade ? Or, a trade which favoured the Oilers?

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Who was the last Russian player that we drafted and did well here?
We've drafted one Russian high in the last decade.

Each draft pick is an independent case, personally I believe that Podkolzin's talents and abilities matter much much more than his nationality, but that might just be me

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Tell me the last time the Oilers were involved in a fair trade ? Or, a trade which favoured the Oilers?
The Maroon trade. When we traded for Wideman. The Spooner for Gagner trade.

Jerebek for a 6th
A 3rd for Marody
Davidson for a 3rd
Scrivens for Kassian
Perron for Klinkhammer and a 1st.

We aren't making bad trades cause the big bad other teams are out to get little ol us.

We were making bad trades because we had bad management in place.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We've drafted one Russian high in the last decade.

Each draft pick is an independent case, personally I believe that Podkolzin's talents and abilities matter much much more than his nationality, but that might just be me

I get the sentiment and probably just about any other year I'd agree. However beyond being Russian, look at how we've botched the Puljujarvi pick. Basically the last European player that we drafted high and developed was Klefbom. Drafting a western Canadian kid means no culture shock and he fits seamlessly onto our team. If Podkolzin is by far the BPA then you take him and leave him in Russia at least a year, maybe 2.

Reactions: Aerrol

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Trade 1

Trade 2

If it was possible to walk away with Lavoie at #14 and Tomasino at #19 that'd be a dream.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Since there was some Podkolzin talk in this thread now I decided to watch another shift-by-shift on him. This one from the MHL playoffs at the end of March.

I just don't know how a guy without high-end hockey IQ, passing and vision is supposed to be a 1st liner in the NHL. Because that's what I suppose all the scouts project him as, otherwise they wouldn't have him in their top3. For me he is nothing more than a 2nd liner who can be used as a trigger man on the power-play. Maybe a 30-20-50 guy.

Just seeing him play too, he's not a guy that plays well off of his teammates at all. He's on an island out there. He's just not a guy who can play a give-and-go game at a high level. So I have no idea how he is going to transition to the NHL with his rover brand of hockey. He's kind of like Yak in that sense, just all over the place, working hard but not actually accomplishing much.

Zaddy - I think it was Steve Kournianos (and take him or leave him, he looks at these guys every year) who recently said he thought Podkolzin had the best anticipation and off-the-puck sense of almost any prospect he's seen in the last 4 years.

That's the literal opposite of your view on his hockey IQ. I'm not questioning what you watched but man the consensus is very high on him.

I'm also reading tweets from today's performance where he didn't have a point but was said to be one of the best players on the ice.

It's a tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad