Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Imagine a Bowen Byram - Evan Bouchard pairing. Now that's a legit elite pairing from a puck moving perspective.
Byram - Bouchard would be a dynamite pairing. But my guess is Byram is gone at pick 3, no later than pick 4.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If I were the Oilers, I would trade 8 and a 2nd rounder easily to move to 3/4. I would also throw in JP.

Should have been done in the Hughes draft , now even if have a remote chance for a elite skating puck moving dman.. you take it. Byram is pure chaos and skating is elite.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Probably beating a dead horse here but I watched another shift-by-shift on Cozens, this time from the playoffs, and I still don't know what it is that scouts see in him that make him a top5 prospect in this draft. He has some great tools in his size, skating and shot, no doubt about it, but pretty much all of his offense comes off the rush or on the PP. His hands are not great, his playmaking and passing is not great, he also seems to lose his balance a lot. I think I saw him on his ass ~8 times in this game and he gets outmuscled or outworked on the boards, which maybe isn't the biggest thing as he is tall and strength can be improved, but then again Pulju still struggles with these aspects of the game.

I also never see Cozens slow the game down and wait to make the right play. The play for him seems to always be to skate full speed and then shoot whether the opportunity is there or not, dangle and oftentimes losing the puck or forcing a pass. It works fairly well in juniors, but I just don't understand how scouts aren't questioning the rest of his game and how it will translate to the pros. For me he looks purely like a complementary player, and probably not even a 1st liner. Another thing I also wanted to mention is that I've been a lot more impressed with his linemate Jake Elmer in my viewings and I think Cozens has had quite a lot of help from him this season. In fact after I watched this game I went to look up Elmer's stats and saw that he is signed with the Rangers and has 4 points in 5 games with their AHL team. So clearly a pretty good player.

I just don't know why anyone would take Cozens over guys like Turcotte and Dach in particular but Zegras, Boldy and Krebs too. But if that means some team ahead of us picks him then by all means, I won't complain.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Probably beating a dead horse here but I watched another shift-by-shift on Cozens, this time from the playoffs, and I still don't know what it is that scouts see in him that make him a top5 prospect in this draft. He has some great tools in his size, skating and shot, no doubt about it, but pretty much all of his offense comes off the rush or on the PP. His hands are not great, his playmaking and passing is not great, he also seems to lose his balance a lot. I think I saw him on his ass ~8 times in this game and he gets outmuscled or outworked on the boards, which maybe isn't the biggest thing as he is tall and strength can be improved, but then again Pulju still struggles with these aspects of the game.

I also never see Cozens slow the game down and wait to make the right play. The play for him seems to always be to skate full speed and then shoot whether the opportunity is there or not, dangle and oftentimes losing the puck or forcing a pass. It works fairly well in juniors, but I just don't understand how scouts aren't questioning the rest of his game and how it will translate to the pros. For me he looks purely like a complementary player, and probably not even a 1st liner. Another thing I also wanted to mention is that I've been a lot more impressed with his linemate Jake Elmer in my viewings and I think Cozens has had quite a lot of help from him this season. In fact after I watched this game I went to look up Elmer's stats and saw that he is signed with the Rangers and has 4 points in 5 games with their AHL team. So clearly a pretty good player.

I just don't know why anyone would take Cozens over guys like Turcotte and Dach in particular but Zegras, Boldy and Krebs too. But if that means some team ahead of us picks him then by all means, I won't complain.

Worst case for the Oilers is Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Krebs go 1-7 and Oilers get to chose from Cozens or Podkolzin.

This is the year to move up a few spots and try to get Byram.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's the scouting report on Harley?

6'3'', flawless skater, great offensive instincts, likes to sneak in from the blue line, looked really good QBing the PP although he's more of a passer because his shot is only average. Inconsistent defensively. Has shown flashes of solid play there, but he has some of the same issues Bouchard had.

His main strength is his transition game. He's one of those guys that is basically impossible to forecheck. He has great awareness, knows where guys are coming from, takes one stride and he's gone.

He's not quite as polished as the other D prospects after Byram, but I think he's right up there in potential because of his hockey sense and physical tools.

I'm a big fan of guys with steep developmental curves in their draft year and Harley took massive steps forward. One of the youngest players(Aug. 19th birthday) in the draft too.

Reactions: Zaddy

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Canada and Russia u-18’s tied 1-1 through 1. Brayden Tracey with a goal for Canada and Vasili Podkolzin with a PP tally for the Russians

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

It sounds like avs fans want him at 4, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken ahead of turcotte and dach.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Also, fun fact about Harley, although he was born and raised in Syracuse(New York), his family is from Edmonton and his dad was a goalie for the University of Alberta back in the early 90s.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Worst case for the Oilers is Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Krebs go 1-7 and Oilers get to chose from Cozens or Podkolzin.

This is the year to move up a few spots and try to get Byram.
I can see Podkolzin sliding right out of the top 8 because of his stated desire to stay in Russia for at least several more years.

If it comes down to Cozens or Podkolzin, I'm worried. Many people have said that Cozens doesn't have a high hockey IQ. Podkolzin is a Euro and we have historically had a hard time developing them. I wonder if we consider trading down and picking up an additional asset.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I can see Podkolzin sliding right out of the top 8 because of his stated desire to stay in Russia for at least several more years.

If it comes down to Cozens or Podkolzin, I'm worried. Many people have said that Cozens doesn't have a high hockey IQ. Podkolzin is a Euro and we have historically had a hard time developing them. I wonder if we consider trading down and picking up an additional asset.

I would trade up. Oilers trading down never seems to work.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
6'3'', flawless skater, great offensive instincts, likes to sneak in from the blue line, looked really good QBing the PP although he's more of a passer because his shot is only average. Inconsistent defensively. Has shown flashes of solid play there, but he has some of the same issues Bouchard had.

His main strength is his transition game. He's one of those guys that is basically impossible to forecheck. He has great awareness, knows where guys are coming from, takes one stride and he's gone.

He's not quite as polished as the other D prospects after Byram, but I think he's right up there in potential because of his hockey sense and physical tools.

I'm a big fan of guys with steep developmental curves in their draft year and Harley took massive steps forward. One of the youngest players(Aug. 19th birthday) in the draft too.

Where would you rank him in this draft? What's the highest you'd take him? Sounds very intriguing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Where would you rank him in this draft? What's the highest you'd take him? Sounds very intriguing.

I think I'd have him in that 10-15 range and 11 or 12 is probably the highest I would take him.

Too much forward talent for him to make it into the top 10, IMO.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Canada up 5-3 on Russia in the 3rd.

Cozens with 2 goals, one a penalty shot, the other SHG

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
It seems to me there is a clear drop-off after 7, which is really frustrating that we dropped post-lottery. Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Byram, Dach, Cozens, Turcotte could/should all be gone by 8. So far, I see Krebs, Zegras, and Boldy as in a lesser tier than the above named as professional rankings consistently rate the others higher. Already prepping myself for draft day disappointment. Of course there is a chance that someone else (Newhook , Krebs?) climbs into that top tier after the U18 or the CHL playoffs gives scouts a different look.

If the top 7 are gone and there is a tie for BPA, I prefer a scoring winger to compliment what we have. Out of the latter three, Boldy fits that profile best. He seems to have surprisingly good hands and decent skating to compliment his good shot. I like Zegras' potential and Krebs' all around play too. Most scouting agencies have Zegras ahead of Boldy. Looking forward to the U18 to get a better look at Krebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad